• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Multiplayer Discussion Thread

I really like these. OP stick the second one in!

Thanks! I did it for you. Haha

Guess I'll include some info
PSN: Darknessbear
Mic: Yes
Notes: Not super hardcore. Low tolerance for angry people...

Just put gaf LoU in subject line so I know! Wooo!

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm going to give this a try. I was absolutely terrible at the Uncharted MP, so I wonder how I'll do. Only one way to find out!

I've never had a problem with listen mode, working as a team pretty much negates the
effect of camping. The thing ND needs to fix is the broken ass servers and the fact that I get punished whenever the host disconnects and everyone gets booted from the room. Or when I get thrown onto a losing team when the score is 7-18 and I need to collect 75 supplies somehow. Lol. Frustrating.

Do people really use listening mode in multi? I always see people on the move or using hunting rifles. To me, listening mode seems useless to use since the range isn't great. Then again, I don't use it much to see if it's broken in multi.

What does marking really do aside from well marking them?
Give you parts(like +15) and I think skill points. The main purpose is to inform your teammates so...what else should it do?

maomaoIYP

Reposting my tips from the OT thread, that thread moves so fast everything gets buried.
I've finished 14 weeks and completed the firefly journey successfully. Having an incredible time.

I play supply raid almost exclusively, here's some tips for dudes having problems.
- Spending parts to buy ammo/guns/armor does not affect the final bonus supplies you'll get, those are based solely on your score which does not change even if you buy items.
- Craft as many things as you can, crafted items make the most difference in my experience. I like bombs and molotovs, followed by upgraded melee weapons. I don't ever make first aid kits because those are littered all over the map.
- Armor covers your head and upper torso, so shooting an armored dude in the legs takes him down just as fast. This also means a crouching armored dude is pretty safe.
- Sprinting makes you show up on the enemy's minimap. Walking or crouch walk doesn't. I almost never sprint unless absolutely necessary.
- Listen mode is king, but you don't need to hold it down continuously. Walk a distance, listen to check, carry on walking if its clear. If you can see enemies via listen mode, they can see you too.
- Special executions should only be done if you know you aren't going to get shot at when you're doing it. Because there is wave respawn, you can look at the number of enemies alive and decide if you want to go in for the special execution.
- Stay close to your team mates so that you can flank the enemy, but don't cluster together, you'd be a sucker for molotovs.

edit:
Perks that I like:
- Covert training 2, can't be seen on listen mode when crouch walking is superb if you like flanking.
- Crafter 1, crafting items in a pinch has saved me more than a few times
- Collector 2, if you're going for unlocking customizations this is essential to bringing your clan to population 100. I made it to 114 before I crashed out and never recovered.
- Explosion expert, I like bombs and molotovs, molotovs are usually instant downs + executions
- Pistol auto-zoom, 9mm is a great close range weapon while revolver can substitute as a decent mid range weapon, this perk is more useful than I had initially thought.
Perks that I don't like:
- Sharp ears, great for listen mode, but not actually necessary in my opinion.
- Brawler, finding a 4 x 4 isn't very common, and neither is getting close enough to melee enemies.
- Marathon runner, I prefer silence.
- Strategist, not really useful in my opinion.

Reposting my tips from the OT thread, that thread moves so fast everything gets buried.
I've finished 14 weeks and completed the firefly journey successfully. Having an incredible time.

I play supply raid almost exclusively, here's some tips for dudes having problems.
- Spending parts to buy ammo/guns/armor does not affect the final bonus supplies you'll get, those are based solely on your score which does not change even if you buy items.
- Craft as many things as you can, crafted items make the most difference in my experience. I like bombs and molotovs, followed by upgraded melee weapons. I don't ever make first aid kits because those are littered all over the map.
- Armor covers your head and upper torso, so shooting an armored dude in the legs takes him down just as fast. This also means a crouching armored dude is pretty safe.
- Sprinting makes you show up on the enemy's minimap. Walking or crouch walk doesn't. I almost never sprint unless absolutely necessary.
- Listen mode is king, but you don't need to hold it down continuously. Walk a distance, listen to check, carry on walking if its clear. If you can see enemies via listen mode, they can see you too.
- Special executions should only be done if you know you aren't going to get shot at when you're doing it. Because there is wave respawn, you can look at the number of enemies alive and decide if you want to go in for the special execution.
- Stay close to your team mates so that you can flank the enemy, but don't cluster together, you'd be a sucker for molotovs.

edit:
Perks that I like:
- Covert training 2, can't be seen on listen mode when crouch walking is superb if you like flanking.
- Crafter 1, crafting items in a pinch has saved me more than a few times
- Collector 2, if you're going for unlocking customizations this is essential to bringing your clan to population 100. I made it to 114 before I crashed out and never recovered.
- Explosion expert, I like bombs and molotovs, molotovs are usually instant downs + executions
- Pistol auto-zoom, 9mm is a great close range weapon while revolver can substitute as a decent mid range weapon, this perk is more useful than I had initially thought.
Perks that I don't like:
- Sharp ears, great for listen mode, but not actually necessary in my opinion.
- Brawler, finding a 4 x 4 isn't very common, and neither is getting close enough to melee enemies.
- Marathon runner, I prefer silence.
- Strategist, not really useful in my opinion.

Oook, thanks that helps. They really shouldn't name them the same thing then... nice tips!

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Oook, thanks that helps. They really shouldn't name them the same thing then... nice tips!

Man, no kidding. No wonder I see so many people using armor.

Kind of makes me like purchaseables even less now, since they're more akin to killstreak rewards than a gamble.

L3E2

Anyone online right now that wants to get some games in?

Gaf Username: Marloisasian
PSN ID: Hamburglar
Mic/No Mic: Mic
Timezone GMT -7:00
Additional Notes: Put GAF in friend request so I don't ignore you

MAX PAYMENT

How can anyone enjoy the multiplayer? EVERY single game I have played I get some bizarre glitch that randomly makes my controller stop responding for about 5 seconds. It has lead to numerous deaths! All of which are absolutely RAGE inducing.

Gartooth

I finished my first playthrough of the game tonight, going to jump in and try out the multiplayer tomorrow.

Big question though, I heard about this "clan" idea where you have to sustain a group of survivors, and is that all real time as in if I don't play for a week then my clan is practically dead from no supplies?

YoungHav

Banned
How can anyone enjoy the multiplayer? EVERY single game I have played I get some bizarre glitch that randomly takes makes my controller stop responding for about 5 seconds. It has lead to numerous deaths! All of which are absolutely RAGE inducing.
lol ok good. I thought it was my internet.

I plan on trying out the multiplayer tonight but I don't have a mic. Will that significantly affect the experience? I don't want to piss off my team.

demolitio

How can anyone enjoy the multiplayer? EVERY single game I have played I get some bizarre glitch that randomly makes my controller stop responding for about 5 seconds. It has lead to numerous deaths! All of which are absolutely RAGE inducing.

Never had that happen so I'm not sure it should affect how much I like the MP... :p

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I plan on trying out the multiplayer tonight but I don't have a mic. Will that significantly affect the experience? I don't want to piss off my team.

I don't have a mic either, but it doesn't seem like a big deal. Just make sure to mark people with RS.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Yeah, this meta game is so much fun when you get dropped every other match because their servers are garbage.

This MP could have been really fun... they blew it.

Played my first match.

Teammate said:
If you don't have a mic then you don't deserve to play the game for christ's sake.
:(
Teammate said:
Everyone on this team is a fucking moron.

Teammate said:
Why do I always get the worst fucking teammates?

We lost, but I actually ended up being the top player on my team with 6 downs, 3 kills, 6 deaths, and 1 revive. My teammate ended up with 3 downs, 2 kills, 8 deaths, and 0 revives.

stang6604

does anyone know if there is any way to check your player level progression?

edit: PSN: page85
TZ: US Eastern
Mic/no Mic: Mic

i just like to have fun. don't expect me to get real competitive. i just love this game and enjoy playing it.

sappyday

I'll update my info:

sappyday
sappyday
Pacific
Yes but I prefer not to use it.
I'm not that good and I don't play to be competitive. I'll usually play only when I'm in the mood.

PSN - blainethemono

I don't know how often i'll be on since i'm going out of town for a month, but i'm taking my ps3 so if I manage to get a decent internet connection I might get on for a while. Haven't even tried the multiplayer yet

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
GAF Username: Aesop
PSN ID: Caelsus
Timezone: CET/MEZ Germany
Mic: available (englisch, german, russian)
I play competitive and for fun at the same time. Last time I checked I was in TOP 100 global ranking :3

Cudder

just got to week 4 and am now getting to the point where I'll be negative on food for my colony every so often. :(

red731

Hey guys, guys.

Watch my ass.

Just watch it.

My ass.

Watch my ass.

Gets me everytime
KuGsj.gif

<- gaf name
swiftrunner731
CET
MIC GOT (I dusted it off just for this game and it's awesome!)
Playing for fun, trying to win - don't care if lose. MP is fun.

ed: Can you guys edit your posts and add freakin timezones atleast? It's not like I don't want to play with you US guys or anyone else, but same TZ is plus and better.

Kard8p3

So glad this topic is finally up!

Gaf Username: Kard8p3
PSN ID: Kard8p3
Timezone: Central
Mic/No Mic: I have a mic
Additional notes: I do play to have fun, but I do like to win. I don't get angry.

Finally!

PSN: College_boy

Another Kentuckian!

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
So the MP is pretty damned amazing.

Um, how do you shiv someone? Because I haven't been able to do it like in the game and I've been punished very bad for trying to do that :S

Edit: Why not

PSN: RiccochetJ

CoolNumber9

Gaf Username: CoolNumber9
PSN ID: CoolNumber9
Timezone: Eastern
Mic/No Mic: Mic
Preferences: I play to have fun...I don't like to listen to people talking shit or being general dumb asses. Too old for all that lol.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Dear Diary:

Today in The Last of Us' Multiplayer, I was able to flank the backside of an enemy who was approaching a teammate. Together we shot the enemy to death, and witnessed the enemy's body float to the ceiling as though pulled by an extremely powerful fan. When I finally stopped laughing, I was dead.

Well diary, that's all for today. I find so many interesting things and people during my journey through The Last of Us' Multoplayer, I can't wait to see what I run into next!

<3

Top Bottom