• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Multiplayer Discussion Thread

TentPole

I can play a few games, even though I should be sleeping, lol. Just add me!

edit: nvm, I have to be up in 4 hours, so I need to sleep, even if it's just a little; sorry man, maybe next time!

Don't worry about it. Guess I should just call it a night as well.

maomaoIYP

So the MP is pretty damned amazing.

Um, how do you shiv someone? Because I haven't been able to do it like in the game and I've been punished very bad for trying to do that :S

Do you have to be in a clan to play with each other? I'm not sure how this works.
You need his back to be facing you exactly, then keep spamming triangle. You can also throw a smoke bomb, then when he's in the stunned animation, shiv him from the front. But the smoke stun is kind of short, and honestly unreliable.

You can play with anyone you want, they don't have to be in the same clan. On their screen they'll just see that their team mates are their clan while you will see them as your clan.

Can someone explain armor to me? Is there an Armor bar somewhere? Or do they just break if you are shot there? Can you constantly buy armor? Is there upgraded armor? Sometimes I have armor, but then it says I can buy armor...

Do you basically have it until that portion breaks off you?

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Can someone explain armor to me? Is there an Armor bar somewhere? Or do they just break if you are shot there? Can you constantly buy armor? Is there upgraded armor? Sometimes I have armor, but then it says I can buy armor...

Do you basically have it until that portion breaks off you?

You leave it off, and then everybody likes you more.

I'm afraid I can't help from experience using it personally, but from what I've seen, armor sponges a certain amount of damage in either the body or the head before that part breaks off. It usually takes me one solid rifle shot or a close range shorty blast to break it in either given location.

My guess is that repurchasing armor will give you a full suit again if a part has broken off. If your armor is fine, there's probably no point. I don't think you can upgrade it.

Armour fix:

Slower movement. Noise generated even when crouch-walking. No melee boost.

pls

How do you craft melee weapons. And I barely ever find the resources needed for molotovs :(

Also, I'm not sure why but I only aim for centre mass playing this, when I normally go for headshots in other games

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
How do you craft melee weapons. And I barely ever find the resources needed for molotovs :(

Melee weapons must be found in a supplies box, then you use the same tools as you would to make a shiv to upgrade a melee weapon for a single (or multiple, with the right booster) instant kill. Otherwise, they're good for staggering someone when one-on-one.

It's rare, but you can find machete's in supply boxes too. They're basically pre-upgraded melee weapons with two or three hits. You can also add them as a purchasable in your gear loadout.\

Also, remember that Molotovs use the same resources as a first aid kit, plus a binding, which is used by shivs and melee upgrades. If you want to make a Molotov, consider your resources.

demolitio

Got a few of my old SOCOM buddies in a party and played for a few hours and didn't lose a single game even when it was 3 on 4 and that is where this game's MP shined even more. Communication and coordination really does help in this game and we basically never went alone all because it was something we were used from the SOCOM series. It's something that a lot of modern MP gamers are lacking simply because no game really requires it anymore so it's nice to see how this game really comes together with some coordination. Even a few randoms turned on their mics just to join in on the communication after a few games on our team and it was pretty awesome to see communication come back.

This game is the closest thing some of us will get to a new SOCOM so I hope it lasts although nothing could touch the magic of that series. It says a lot when a bunch of us like this MP this much though...

Few questions:

How do you select a female avatar?

How do you give items (specifically health kits) to allies? I was trying to complete a task for my clan which required me to heal at least five teammates. However, revives don't seem to count so that was a waste.

I've been playing this quite a lot recently, I enjoy it, the scarce ammo and the need to scavenge makes it more interesting. But a few things really irritate me.

First is that I can shoot someone twice at close range with the revolver and then be killed after the guy punches me four times.

Secondly, numerous times I've killed someone while they're executing a teammate. The guy won't even have done anything but turn the player over before I kill him but the player on the ground always dies. I think they should make it so that if you're damaged while trying to execute someone, you're interrupted, the same way it works for revives.

maomaoIYP

Armour fix:

Slower movement. Noise generated even when crouch-walking. No melee boost.

pls

Also, I'm not sure why but I only aim for centre mass playing this, when I normally go for headshots in other games
I don't think there's a melee boost. I'm perfectly fine with the way armor is at the moment though. A single shot up close with the shorty removes the vest instantly. Also improved melee weapons, shivs and even molotovs (if I'm not wrong) still kill them instantly.

You need to pick up a 4 x 4 to craft a melee weapon. I'm noticing a lot of players completely ignoring the item points and run directly to the choke points to start shooting. That's the fastest way to lose. You gotta farm the spots a little before the 4 x 4 comes up, it's normally in the 2nd or 3rd box I open once the match starts.

Few questions:

How do you give items (specifically health kits) to allies? I was trying to complete a task for my clan which required me to heal at least five teammates. However, revives don't seem to count so that was a waste.
You can't, it's random.
You also can't give items to team mates, to heal them you need the first aid skill to be at least level 2.

Few questions:

I believe the character model you play with during a game is entirely random, yu only have control over the hat, mask and emblem.

Also, I think you give items/health with level 2/3 versions of perks. I think level 2 or 3 of Crafter lets you gift items, while level 2/3 of first aid training lets you heal others.

Alienous

First multiplayer I've played where working as a team seems to be the easiest way to win 100% of the matches.

I enjoy it, but I need to play it with people who are trying to work together.

JawzPause

I have never seen a game integrate facebook as well as this game and make it non intrusive. Congrats to ND for making a brilliant single player as well as a very fun multiplayer.

Spinluck

I barely even use it, it's rare I actually see anyone that i didn't already know was in the area.

That too, but you can use it against players and troll the shit out of them. Seriously, it only detects movement, and doesn't let who ever is using it know what weapon you may have.

There are ways to counter it, hell, if you're attentive and know when to chase down a person or not. You'll be fine. There are many instances where I've had incompetent teammates who will be fooled, and chase a person who is leading him or her to their team.

I also went against a team that had Covert Ops 2 or 3 equipped, and my teammates never got a clue and still kept relying on Listen Mode. Becoming reliant on it in general is bad thing.

But yea, them being able to see you in Listen Mode doesn't mean much more than them sort of knowing your locations. Actually approaching you to attack is another.

I'm not saying all MP's need wallhacks lol, but ND worked it into the game in a way that works and has a good set of rules to it.

Tobinishi

ND made a really good MP, which fits the overall theme of the game. Staying alive and managing your resources is most important, not running and gunning like most games.

Still there are some huge problems: eg. punishing disconnections heavily, no room for error = no testing out new classes etc., no chance to avoid losing clan members through missions (at least there should be an option if i do really well eg. i need 9 kills, managed to get 29 - still lost 10% -.-). And haven't even started with the gameplay-problems. Hopefully they will fix some stuff and add some more costumization, modes (free DLC, dont split the community ), etc.

Horde Mode (co-op) would obviously be great. But I was thinking that the standard modes, as they are now, could be very interesting if infected were thrown into the mix. Essentially a AI controlled 'team' of infected, which could potentially be used to a team's advantage by luring/pushing them to a group of enemies.

Remember that bit in The Walking Dead,
with the van full of walkers driven into the prison
?
That, but on a smaller scale.

maomaoIYP

Still there are some huge problems: eg. punishing disconnections heavily, no room for error = no testing out new classes etc., no chance to avoid losing clan members through missions (at least there should be an option if i do really well eg. i need 9 kills, managed to get 29 - still lost 10% -.-). And haven't even started with the gameplay-problems. Hopefully they will fix some stuff and add some more costumization, modes (free DLC, dont split the community ), etc.

Technically no, but you can quit via XMB without penalty. I do that when I get matchmade into a losing game that's getting demolished.

I got totally destroyed and demoralized last night.

I had a firefly attack to defend against and picked the semi auto downs as my mssion. I had already used it once so the lowest level was 6 downs. No problem over three days.

First game connects me to a match in progress, with unbalanced teams and only a handful of kills remaining. I don't get a single down, lose a day and fail to make enough to feed my people. Day 2 and 3 - "lost connection to host" and they decide that I should lose the days (these weren't quits, but either network errors or host disconnects - my network was still working fine). Now my 45 clan members from day 1 are down to 38 who are all sick and hungry... And the kicker - I lose 60% of the remaining. I walked away with a clan of 14 after about 4 minutes of game time and 6+ minutes staring at menus.

When this game is good it is very very good. But I seem to be getting a lot of issues that really make me feel angry and frustrated. I love the gameplay but really wish for dedicated servers and no late join (at least not when you have a mission active). With mp being locked away behind a code/paywall, Sony really needs to set up some servers and help preserve my sanity.

Alienous

Horde Mode (co-op) would obviously be great. But I was thinking that the standard modes, as they are now, could be very interesting if infected were thrown into the mix. Essentially a AI controlled 'team' of infected, which could potentially be used to a team's advantage by luring/pushing them to a group of enemies.

Remember that bit in The Walking Dead,
with the van full of walkers driven into the prison
?
That, but on a smaller scale.

The singleplayer moment
with David
really makes me wonder why a Horde Mode isn't part of the game.

Can someone clear up the parts & supplies for me

If I understand correctly you acquire the supplies when downing/killing/spotting etc within the game. You need a certain number each day for you Clan to survive, if you don't get enough you may get hungry/ill members.

You get parts by picking up things from the tins on the ground etc which you then can use to get more ammo/amour in game as your playing.
Is this correct so far?

At the end of each game it shows you how many supplies you got compared to what is needed for that day. But there is a quick section what I can never read in time which gives you a reduction number [in red].
Is this when you use up some of your parts [on ammo etc] and it deducts amount from the supplies?

Are unused parts added onto the supplies number, or are they a completely separate thing? Not sure of parts & supplies are linked or not, or if the parts are only used for buying/upgrading of things in the game, don't want to be buying more ammo for example if this is going to possibly cause be not to get enough supplies for my clan.

Cant work it out.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Got a few of my old SOCOM buddies in a party and played for a few hours and didn't lose a single game even when it was 3 on 4 and that is where this game's MP shined even more. Communication and coordination really does help in this game and we basically never went alone all because it was something we were used from the SOCOM series. It's something that a lot of modern MP gamers are lacking simply because no game really requires it anymore so it's nice to see how this game really comes together with some coordination. Even a few randoms turned on their mics just to join in on the communication after a few games on our team and it was pretty awesome to see communication come back.

This game is the closest thing some of us will get to a new SOCOM so I hope it lasts although nothing could touch the magic of that series. It says a lot when a bunch of us like this MP this much though...

When they release a purist/hardcore mode that removes the wallhack/boosters/radar... then it will be much more like Socom.

maomaoIYP

Can someone clear up the parts & supplies for me

If I understand correctly you acquire the supplies when downing/killing/spotting etc within the game. You need a certain number each day for you Clan to survive, if you don't get enough you may get hungry/ill members.

You get parts by picking up things from the tins on the ground etc which you then can use to get more ammo/amour in game as your playing.
Is this correct so far?

At the end of each game it shows you how many supplies you got compared to what is needed for that day. But there is a quick section what I can never read in time which gives you a reduction number [in red].
Is this when you use up some of your parts [on ammo etc] and it deducts amount from the supplies?

Are unused parts added onto the supplies number, or are they a completely separate thing? Not sure of parts & supplies are linked or not, or if the parts are only used for buying/upgrading of things in the game, don't want to be buying more ammo for example if this is going to possibly cause be not to get enough supplies for my clan.

Cant work it out.
You need supplies to feed your clan.
In the game killing/crafting/spotting/rampaging etc earns your parts (which is also your score for that match, the number that's on the scoreboard).
After you've killed a dude, the blue tin that you pick up are supplies. They contribute directly to feeding your clan.
At the end of the day, your score, not the parts you have left, are converted to supplies.
The numbers on the lower left corner of the HUD shows your current parts available, as well as the number of supplies your current score translates to.
That means you can spend the in game parts as much as you like, there is no penalty to your score.
At the end of a match the 1st number is your score, and that converts to a blue number which is the supplies that your score grants you.
The next blue number are the supplies that you picked up from dead bodies in the match.
The red number is the amount you needed to feed your clan.
The last blue number is the surplus, and that converts to new members, every 10 (rounded up) gives 1 new clan member.

excellent, thanks for clearing it up :)

Edit I was going to add my details onto the Google document but looks like someone has been playing around with it and deleting peoples information :¬(

Sigma722

Finished the Hunter run last night. Gold trophy popped for me, so that was exciting.

A buddy of mine didn't get the gold trophy at the end of his 12 weeks. The only thing that I think could have affected it is that he got disconnected from a server ONCE. He never had to start over or anything, but it didn't pop. Sucks.

RS4-

It's probably too much to ask if executions could be handled like Gears; still save your downed teammate by killing the guy who is about to execute him if he hasn't finished the animation. As it stands right now, the moment the opponent presses triangle, your mate is already dead no matter what.

Unless I'm completely forgetting how Gears 3 worked.

Eleuin

On the hunter side what's the most population needed for customization items?

I'm thinking of letting some people die in a challenge because I don't think I can sustain them all.

They need to patch the game and stop penalizing you just because the game puts you into a match that already started. I hit 100 clan members and now if I don't get like 77 supplies a match, guys get hungry or sick. But when the game is constantly putting you in matches with only 1 or 2 rounds left, it's hard to get any supplies. And when you're going for a challenge to defend an attack or rescue allies it makes it a lot worse.

But I now have 95 members and half are hungry and like 6 are sick. All because of one match I joined and only had one round to play.

maomaoIYP

On the hunter side what's the most population needed for customization items?

I'm thinking of letting some people die in a challenge because I don't think I can sustain them all.

It's the same, it's 120 for the final hat.
That being said, trying to end the 12th week with 85 is also ridiculously difficult.
There's 2 missions back to back right at the end where you lose 20% minimum. That means to end with 85 you need 133.

PSN: FunkeeFresh
Timezone: GMT +00:00, Ireland

I have a mic too if anyone is looking for an extra player on their team. Just started the multiplayer and so far I'm really liking it. Would like to play as part of some kind of team tho!

The best part of MP in this game is tea-bagging people when they are crawling around wounded and about to die. I just follow them around and continually shove my nuts and ass in their face 8 or 9 times. Then I brutally bash their skulls in with the butt of my rifle.

I'm like "Ooh yeah bitch, TAKE IT! TAKE IT!"

I know, I'm an asshole. But it is so satisfying!

Sajjaja

The best part of MP in this game is tea-bagging people when they are crawling around wounded and about to die. I just follow them around and continually shove my nuts and ass in their face 8 or 9 times. Then I brutally bash their skulls in with the butt of my rifle.

rico-1.jpg

Body armour should cost like 2,000 parts, and still be nerfed.

Why did they remove the game recording stuff from UC3? Some truly amazing things happen on this game, especially in a clan, and I wish I could record and share them

The Lamp

I think it'd be neat if they made a mode where you team up to fight off infected in waves and you could share supplies and craft. Kind of like a Left 4 Dead finale vibe. But moving from room to room like the David segment in the story after they have infiltrated a certain area. Does anyone think that's a cool idea?

The singleplayer moment
with David
really makes me wonder why a Horde Mode isn't part of the game.

Haha omg looks like others came to the same conclusion. Do it Naughty Dog!

Tangeroo

iEwviBpb3UAIK.gif

Tangeroo

Body armour should cost like 2,000 parts, and still be nerfed.

2k is a bit much but something like 800-1000 might be appropriate. Last night, I made a medic build which let me build up parts quickly so I was always first to get armor. From there, it was pretty easy to steamroll enemies while their weapons were still tier 1.

Ezio

I love the multi-player, too bad I'm horrible at it :( Doesn't help that every game I get into, no one has a mic or communicates at all.

So do planting the nail bombs actually work? I've done it around 3 times and it has literally never worked.

I feel so clever, a group of them are wandering up to me I place the nail bomb with R1 right at the corner run off while they start shooting at me andddd... nothing I die. So, does it work?

Tangeroo

So do planting the nail bombs actually work? I've done it around 3 times and it has literally never worked.

I feel so clever, a group of them are wandering up to me I place the nail bomb with R1 right at the corner run off while they start shooting at me andddd... nothing I die. So, does it work?

It works. Keep in mind, it makes sound once it's triggered and a lot of players know to run when they hear it. I prefer planting it at a climb point so the player is trapped by their climbing animation and can't run away from it in time.

mbmonk

EDIT: I sent you a PM instead. :)

maomaoIYP

It works, I've chased down people only to get led into a nail bomb trap.
I very much prefer throwing it like a grenade though. You can spot nail bombs using listen mode though, so it's not fool proof. Also, get the heck out of there once you've set the trap. Once I threw a molotov into a room only to set off the enemy bombs in there and kill everyone in one go.

jett

D-Member
I think I've found out how to play this MP: Fuck stealth. :lol Doing much better with the "assault" loadout.

Top Bottom