• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Multiplayer Discussion Thread

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
The only other multiplayer I've played that controlled this bad was Socom 4. OTS view is the worst and shouldn't be in any game EVER AGAIN.

Get rid off/fix:

-OTS view. Worst view ever created. What ever happened to true third person games, like the original Socom's?
-Slow movement when aiming with L1. It's almost impossible to shoot someone close to you.
-Why do I have to use L1 to shoot? It's so clunky and antiquated. Give a free fire/less accurate shot without L1
-No one should take so many bullets to drop. Increase damage taken.
-Give unlimited jog.

Owensboro

So, I gave this a shot on day one while waiting for the save issue to be worked out and was greeted with these images while loading up the multiplayer:

dXuXulv.jpg
d4wceDC.jpg

(Yes, I know I need to dust, but I've been out of town for a while and just wanted to play this game!)

So, being confused, I decided to choose the Sherpa Rifle Hunter Yellow Jackets over the Machette Sunglasses Leather Wildcats. Now, the rest of the game loaded up normally with all the words and menus correct, but I had absolutely 0 idea as to what the heck was going on, and I assume those previous screens did a much better job explaining all this mess.... so... um.... I'd like to ask a favor.

OP, can you put a brief explanation in the OP of just what the heck you are even supposed to do in multiplayer? It doesn't have to be super in-depth theorycrafting or anything, just a basic explanation of what supplies mean, why you have weeks on the screen, what the whole survivors thing means, good ideas for beginners to do, and how basic stuff works (How do you heal? How do you see team health? How do the supply stashes work? How do you buy the "body armor" that everyone is talking about? etc...) If you want, I could just go play for an hour, lose 10 games in a row and make my team angry, and then just come back with a crapload of questions.

I got absolutely STOMPED in the first two games I tried playing and felt utterly useless to my team. I even picked the healing class as I figured it would be a better way to learn the ropes. Unfortunately, I'm terrible SRHYJ (Go Jackets!). I just want to help my team out, man! Now that I've gone and played a good amount of the single player (80% complete, I think) I should be more useful, but I have NO IDEA how the MP works. Help!

It works, I've chased down people only to get led into a nail bomb trap.
I very much prefer throwing it like a grenade though.
Do they disappear after you die? Or do they stay on the map to get people after you are killed?

It works, I've chased down people only to get led into a nail bomb trap.
I very much prefer throwing it like a grenade though. You can spot nail bombs using listen mode though, so it's not fool proof. Also, get the heck out of there once you've set the trap. Once I threw a molotov into a room only to set off the enemy bombs in there and kill everyone in one go.

Gah, it's never worked for me! 3 times now. Do they literally have to stand on it? How small is the radius?

I felt like it didnt even explode just disappeared. Can you pick enemies bombs up if you spot them?

ThisOne

The only other multiplayer I've played that controlled this bad was Socom 4. OTS view is the worst and shouldn't be in any game EVER AGAIN.

Get rid off/fix:

-OTS view. Worst view ever created. What ever happened to true third person games, like the original Socom's?
-Slow movement when aiming with L1. It's almost impossible to shoot someone close to you.
-Why do I have to use L1 to shoot? It's so clunky and antiquated. Give a free fire/less accurate shot without L1
-Give unlimited jog.

Did you ever play Uncharted's multiplayer? Sounds like it may be more up your alley. You can shoot from the hip without using L1 and it tends to move a little faster. Last of Us is deliberately more slow and tactical. Can't really comment on how it compares to Socom since I've never played that.

Yes, that is exactly what I do
Gah, it's never worked for me! 3 times now. Do they literally have to stand on it? How small is the radius?

I felt like it didnt even explode just disappeared. Can you pick enemies bombs up if you spot them?

I usually plant bombs right on top on the red toolboxes. It's killed a few times. Also right underneath windows, usually on the inside of the building. They jump in... BOOM SUCKA!!!!!!

I dont think you can pick them up.

Is there any way to destroy enemy bombs, i.e shooting them?

T3CHN01R

Banned

Get rid off/fix:

-Give unlimited jog.

lol, get outta here with that shit.

I really don't know what to think of this mode. It's pretty damn satisfying to shiv people, but the matchmaking is just so. bad. I regularly get matched up against entire teams of rank 23/24 players while I'm stuck at rank 1 or 2.

Also, has anyone ever encountered a random team that actually WORKS as a team? It seems like the only players who actually function well are the ones who join games as a party.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Did you ever play Uncharted's multiplayer? Sounds like it may be more up your alley. You can shoot from the hip without using L1 and it tends to move a little faster. Last of Us is deliberately more slow and tactical. Can't really comment on how it compares to Socom since I've never played that.

Yeah, I really loved Uncharted 2 multiplayer.

I just don't find limiting your view and movement makes it more tactical. It feels clunky and poorly made.

I will never find the OTS view acceptable. There is nothing more experience breaking than having to switch shoulders to shoot, it's ridiculous. I don't mind a slower pace game, but the view is atrocious. The speed at which you look around holding L1 just makes is worse.

Lingitiz

I really don't know what to think of this mode. It's pretty damn satisfying to shiv people, but the matchmaking is just so. bad. I regularly get matched up against entire teams of rank 23/24 players while I'm stuck at rank 1 or 2.

Also, has anyone ever encountered a random team that actually WORKS as a team? It seems like the only players who actually function well are the ones who join games as a party.
I just try to pay attention to the crappy matchmaking and back out if it looks like teams are stacked before its too late.

I'm in week 7 now and still really enjoying it. Had a couple of rough losses last night, but still managed to do well enough to increase my survivor count. I'm definitely starting to see more aggressive players out there trying to bumrush early on and take teams by surprise.

The matchmaking really needs to be tweaked though. Disconnects and joining midmatch should not be penalized so heavily.

It's probably too much to ask if executions could be handled like Gears; still save your downed teammate by killing the guy who is about to execute him if he hasn't finished the animation. As it stands right now, the moment the opponent presses triangle, your mate is already dead no matter what.

Unless I'm completely forgetting how Gears 3 worked.

i swear ive been killed a couple of time before i could complete the execution. i could be wrong though.

Tangeroo

Yeah, I really loved Uncharted 2 multiplayer.

I just don't find limiting your view and movement makes it more tactical. It feels clunky and poorly made.

I will never find the OTS view acceptable. There is nothing more experience breaking than having to switch shoulders to shoot, it's ridiculous. I don't mind a slower pace game, but the view is atrocious. The speed at which you look around holding L1 just makes is worse.

It sounds like the multiplayer isn't for you. The design is deliberate and not intended to be like SOCOM or Uncharted. If that's what you're expecting, go back to SOCOM and Uncharted.

Everything you are complaining about in TLOU MP is by design. It's a risk/reward system. You don't like that you can't sprint forever? That's fine. Your opponents can't either. Don't like that precision aiming is slow in close quarters? You should probably either switch to a shotgun for CQC, engage in fisticuffs or run to a more adventageous position.

OTS view is also by design. Flanking/sneaking plays a huge part in this game and would be diminished if you had a complete god-view of your character's surroundings. 1-3 bullets is not much to drop someone. If you aren't aiming for the head, you aren't doing it right.

I apologize if any of this sounds hostile. You're entitled to your opinion and I appreciate that you don't like the decisions that were made in regards to multiplayer. At the same time, you can't also say that the designers are wrong for making these decisions. Your complaints are akin to saying how bad Gran Turismo's multiplayer is in comparison to Need For Speeds. They're different genres.

Get rid off/fix:

-Give unlimited jog.

I disagree vehemently with all of those.

My top 5 favourite moments so far:

5: Flanking that team with me on one side and a teammate on the other in the school. Drawing the attention of a sniper and marking him so the teammate can creep in from behind and turn him into a fleshy colinder

4: Healing a teammate and noticing someone sprinting at us on the minimap, finishing the heal just in time, spinning around and shitting myself as I realise he's right in my face and was about to shiv me, before emptying a pistol clip into his stomach and taking him down

3: Throwing a smoke bomb at someone, then sprinting at them and shiving them in the jugular before they can get their bearings

2: Watching a teammate shoot the shit out of 2 idiots who tried throwing a smoke bomb at him and rushed at him through the smoke when he was the Last Man Standing

1: Being left 2on1, with no ammo and sprinting away from the enemy like a maniac, heart pounding. Find a supply box, desperate for ammo of any kind, but finding a molotov instead. Realise the opposition have seperated to attack me from both sides, prioritise the guy closest to me with the Molotov primed, and burn him to a crisp the second he sprinted around the corner, before running through the flames to freedom and a well earned draw, and tied match.

Its quite amazing how much teamwork you can have without talking to eachother by just watching eachother's backs and staying together

Jinjo

Finished SP, so I'm gonna be trying this out for the first time right now. I don't have many PSN friend, so if anyone feels like showing an absolute tlou-newbie the ropes, feel free to add me.

Gaf Username: Jinjo
PSN ID: JinjoNL
Timezone: GMT+1 (Netherlands)
Mic available (charging now though)
Additional notes: Will mostly be on in the evening, 21:00 or later.

Finished SP, so I'm gonna be trying this out for the first time right now. I don't have many PSN friend, so if anyone feels like showing an absolute tlou-newbie the ropes, feel free to add me.

Gaf Username: Jinjo
PSN ID: JinjoNL
Timezone: GMT+1 (Netherlands)
Mic available (charging now though)
Additional notes: Will mostly be on in the evening, 21:00 or later.

How is your spoken English?

I'll adc you later :)

I feel I am pretty fluent in English. You will definitely understand me. Slight accent maybe.

Game keeps locking up when I try to acces online mode though? (2 times in a row now)

Edit: Cool!

Just a warning, I mumble like a drunkard :p

I also had a horrendous time in the early stages. Hardlocks, disconnections, failed connections, loading glitches. Sorted itself out for the last 3 days though on my end, thankfully

Fancy playing now for an hour or so?

Alienous

Managed to get 20 downs in 3 matches (well, 25 actually). Only 8 died in this Maurader attack. 70 remain.

The metagame is getting really addictive.

Jinjo

Just a warning, I mumble like a drunkard :p

I also had a horrendous time in the early stages. Hardlocks, disconnections, failed connections, loading glitches. Sorted itself out for the last 3 days though on my end, thankfully

Fancy playing now for an hour or so?

Haha, that's cool.

Got in at my third try. So I'm down for a few rounds. Haven't charged up my mic a lot yet though, but we'll see how long the battery holds.

Spinluck

By far, the best matches are when you are on a good competent team that watches each others backs and stick together, and are pitted against another team that does the same. Epic matches are born that way.

Jagxyz

Gaf Username - Jagxyz
PSN ID - Jaguarxyz
Timezone - EST
Mic/No Mic - Have mic
Additional notes - Put GAF in message somewhere, thanks!

@Jinjo, it gave me a black screen when the loading screen should have transitioned to the match.

A new glitch to add to the pile :p

First tip: Quit through the XMB when it glitches or a disconnection becomes inevitable. This saves it from counting as a quit (for now)

Jinjo

@Jinjo, it gave me a black screen when the loading screen should have transitioned to the match.

A new glitch to add to the pile :p

First tip: Quit through the XMB when it glitches or a disconnection becomes inevitable. This saves it from counting as a quit (for now)

Figured as much. Quit through XMB (thanks for the tip). Reconnecting now. Please do not lock up. Great first experience so far lol.

Edit: It is locking up...

Edit2:
PSN: HTK
Mic: Yep
Time Zone: Pacific

Saw your friend request. Let's get a party of three going.

daffy

Banned
I love this. I've only played Survivors because no respawn, but it's a lot of fun. so far I'm playing it more than singleplayer.

The only thing though is I dont like having to open boxes to find crafting items. They should be just around the map randomly and not given to each player.

I'm pretty surprised by the amount of solid teamwork that is happening for me. People are pairing up and reviving smart (not just blindly rush-reviving) Makes it so much worse dying when I'm the last one left :[

Mikey Jr.

I popped this in and already have a fucking bug.

When I start the University map, the camera does not track my player. It is stuck in the spawn room, but I can still run around with this stuck camera.

I have to die for it to unstick.

The fuck?

ThisOne

I popped this in and already have a fucking bug.

When I start the University map, the camera does not track my player. It is stuck in the spawn room, but I can still run around with this stuck camera.

I have to die for it to unstick.

The fuck?

I've seen this mentioned before so you're not alone. I personally have only had one glitch/connection issue. Last night I was in a game and everyone but me just froze on the map but it never said anyone disconnected. Then it eventually ended and said my team won and me and just one other guy on my team ended up in the lobby again together.

Hopefully they will release a bug fix patch for the multiplayer pretty soon. I haven't heard any news yet though.

Owensboro

Good lord, I feel like half of GAF must block me.

I guess I'll ask in a different way. Is there a website somewhere that explains how the MP works, what the objective is, and what everything means that doesn't spoil any single player stuff? I'm terrified of going to Wikis :(

Phew. Needed 20 Downs to save the maximum number of clan members, got exactly 20 Downs

Wish I'd know that its easier if you do the hard challenges first

Quick question about the two factions:
I know it says that the faction you choose doesn't matter. Does this mean that my team mates haven't chosen the same faction as me? So if I choose firefly, I might be on the team as someone who chose hunter but he'll be skinned as a firefly and I'd be skinned as a hunter for him. This'd make sense to stop people choosing the 'better side' and really make it not matter.

Top Bottom