• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Multiplayer Discussion Thread

andycapps

And it's not like it was two of us shooting and the enemy getting executed accidentally... the enemy was clearly down and crawling away and dudes on my first few matches with randoms were clearly shooting them well after. I was on mic reminding guys to get the special executions and not kill them but nope.

finally hooked up with a couple of friends and then it became shit loads of fun.

@jinjo: we need to play! i'll be on tonight.

I haven't played with any Gaffers yet, but I did play a little last night and like the mode a lot. The only time I executed someone was if I was outnumbered and the downed player was working their way to their teammates. I'd rather get credit for that execution and have our team have a temporary numbers advantage than have them get revived or risk going out there to interrogate them only to be downed and then be an easy interrogation.

That's another thing that's really annoying. When playing randoms usually 2-3 people stick together but there's always one person that goes off by themselves. And in this mode that screws your team over.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I've gone whole rounds no boxes have respawned for me.
I just finished a round. I opened all the boxes and by the time i circled around the timer had ~30 seconds left and the first two boxes (University) had respawned.

It's probably designed so that your starter box respawns a few seconds before the reset kicks in so you don't miss out on getting any Last Man Standing bonuses.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Live-Update-to-Matchmaking/m-p/41515595#U41515595

Eric-ND:
"We just pushed a live update that should be active in about 10-20 minutes that will make matchmaking take a bit longer but improve the overall fairness of who you're playing with. It's ping based and shouldn't really make matchmaking take longer than 1 minute or so but we wanted to give you a heads up. As always let us know what's up and how your dogs are. Thanks!"

As someone constantly getting matched with people that are no where near me, this is great news.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Live-Update-to-Multiplayer/m-p/41533903#U41533903

Eric-ND
"We have a live update going for TLOU MP today. You'll see it kick in at some point today before 7pm PST. Here's the rundown:

Explosion Expert –

level 1 – reduced to 20% for explosives, 10% for Molotovs
level 2 – reduced to 40% for explosives, 20% for Molotovs

Hunting Rifle –

Base Weapon – 10% increase in scope-in speed
8% increase in reload speed
Upgrade 1 – 8% increase in scope-in speed

Flamethrower – Killing efficiency has been increased.

Keep in mind that Upgrade level 2 Hunting Rifle stays exactly the same, and the reload speed of upgrade 1 is the same as before so that will make the Hunting Rifle pretty sweet. "

Reave

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Live-Update-to-Multiplayer/m-p/41533903#U41533903

Eric-ND
"We have a live update going for TLOU MP today. You'll see it kick in at some point today before 7pm PST. Here's the rundown:

Explosion Expert –

level 1 – reduced to 20% for explosives, 10% for Molotovs
level 2 – reduced to 40% for explosives, 20% for Molotovs

Hunting Rifle –

Base Weapon – 10% increase in scope-in speed
8% increase in reload speed
Upgrade 1 – 8% increase in scope-in speed

Flamethrower – Killing efficiency has been increased.

Keep in mind that Upgrade level 2 Hunting Rifle stays exactly the same, and the reload speed of upgrade 1 is the same as before so that will make the Hunting Rifle pretty sweet. "

Nice. Love the hunting rifle regardless, but I can't wait to try it now that it's all beefed up.

Flo_Evans

Not multi related, but Icouldn't find the main thread.

9f457104b9ada10a2e6ad572a3cd8bdd.jpg

some fan art http://www.behance.net/gallery/The-Last-of-Us/10574125

gibration

That's one way of nerfing the Molotov. I thought it would be best to decrease on alcohol and/or rags found in supply boxes. The less we see of them, the less they complain. Idk, I didn't have problem with it to begin with so yea. :p

Vitanimus

I haven't played in a while but I'm glad the hunting rifle got a boost... even if it's a small one. Flamethrower boost is very vaguely worded. Is ranged increased? Less ammo to kill?

Flamethrower boost is very vaguely worded. Is ranged increased? Less ammo to kill?

From what I have read, the range is the same, it is the rate at which the enemy catches fire and dies that was increased. Now if someone is in range of the flamethrower when you use it, they're dead.

I'm really enjoying the multiplayer and finally getting decent at it. There was a thread saying this was similar to Socom II on the PS2. I have to agree with that. It's taking me back. I love how slow paced it is in the gamemode with no respawns. Add me on PSN: VindictiveGnome

colormage1

Neo Member
Love it.

I love the intensity of it. My only problem with it so far is that I need to get used to the difference it takes to kill someone in single player versus multiplayer. I'm use to someone dying with a hunting rifle hit... but they don't. >>

Also, I've been thrown into almost completed matches way too often. And that's really discouraging.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Saw this bumped and thought some new maps were out. :( Nearly three months now, kinda expected them by now. Glad I didn't pay for the season pass.

Man, they really did nerf the molotov somewhat. There were 3 guys close together and I threw one in the middle of them and none of them died. Was ready to collect some parts!

On the other hand I was part of one of the best comebacks ever today. Me (43***), another high level guy (around 90), and two guys below 10 were on one team, with only one guy below 10 on the other team. We were playing Raid, and the score got down to 9-0 (sudden death for us).

We didn't lose another life and wound up winning, with only one guy on their team surviving. There was a lot of coordination (it was on Dam and we were on the upper part of the map), but a lot of crazy timing and skill going on too. Felt so good. I had my mic muted the whole match since the people above me were sleeping, but I had to unmute it when it was over and congratulate the other people on my team.

Such a fun game.

Man, they really did nerf the molotov somewhat. There were 3 guys close together and I threw one in the middle of them and none of them died. Was ready to collect some parts!

On the other hand I was part of one of the best comebacks ever today. Me (43***), another high level guy (around 90), and two guys below 10 were on one team, with only one guy below 10 on the other team. We were playing Raid, and the score got down to 9-0 (sudden death for us).

We didn't lose another life and wound up winning, with only one guy on their team surviving. There was a lot of coordination (it was on Dam and we were on the upper part of the map), but a lot of crazy timing and skill going on too. Felt so good. I had my mic muted the whole match since the people above me were sleeping, but I had to unmute it when it was over and congratulate the other people on my team.

Such a fun game.

The game is still tactical enough that there's no circle-strafe, and the fire-rate isn't crazy (the auto-fire weapon doesn't have massive range) that you still have to make every shot count, hopefully they won't fuck the MP up with too many tweaks.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Just gotta add to the love swimming around in here lately.

Since the patch, I honestly haven't noticed many of the apparent changes, although I have been playing around with the hunting rifle more and enjoying that (with sharpshooter 3).

Creeping up on someone unawares and getting that shiv kill is the best. It feels so dirty and satisfying, and always a jolly fright when someone returns the favour!
I've also started playing a lot more "dynamically" recently, which has improved my game ten-fold. Changing position often, especially during little skirmishes, can add a lot more excitement and also help to confuse the enemy. Running in one direction to direct attention then sneaking and making your way round for an ambush is also fun. Simply knowing when to run/fall back and re-strategise can help if you're getting frustrated from too many deaths.

The only gripe I have is how you can often get shot when it seems like you're behind cover. This is particularly bad when backing up in a pinch, as it always feels like the last deciding bullet shouldn't have hit you... can be quite frustrating, but apart from that the game feels very fair.

My friend and I often Skype up and creep around together, which makes for an awesome online experience. Co-ordinating attacks and pulling off rescues feels great every time. I haven't played a "typical online shooter" in ages, and this one is really refreshingly different. We're currently only in the level 10-20 range, and party play often means we get landed in a game full of level 100-200s, but hey. We deal.

The coolest thing is, my wife (who is by no means a gamer) has gotten into this big time. At the weekend I was about to pop in some Dark Souls (which she has also developed a soft spot for, incidentally), but she protested and we ended up taking turns in lives on TLoU. Again last night, she hadn't had the best day at work and just wanted to blow off some steam by chucking some bombs and shooting some dudes. I don't know what it is about the formula, but they've really nailed it in relation to the single player (which she hates with a passion).

I know someone from ND who never saw the multiplayer outside of early testing stages, and whenever I gush about it they're like "is it really that good?"

Yes. Yes, it is.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Live-update-to-Matchmaking-Round-2/m-p/41604831#U41604831

Another live update to matchmaking:
Eric-ND: "We're putting out a live update that affects matchmaking. New matchmaking criteria requires at least a 200ms ping to the host. This should prevent players from getting matched with players who have a very high latency.

You might see slightly longer search times however, especially in off-peak hours since you're getting matched more regionally. Let us know what your experience is in your region.

Game on!"

NeoGiff

Do many GAFfers still frequently play online? I occasionally dip back in for a few matches when I have the time. If it's still appropriate, could my handle be added to the OP? After eagerly awaiting approval for the duration of this thread thus far, I hope my patience hasn't been in vain!

On PSN I'm Spiffy_Giffy.

Edit: Nevermind, just saw that the OP is banned.

Vitanimus

Do many GAFfers still frequently play online? I occasionally dip back in for a few matches when I have the time. If it's still appropriate, could my handle be added to the OP? After eagerly awaiting approval for the duration of this thread thus far, I hope my patience hasn't been in vain!

On PSN I'm Spiffy_Giffy.

There is a TLOU GAF chatroom for people looking to play that I can add you to if you like.

Multiplayer is phenomenal aside from a few setbacks. For one, there was an encounter with the fireflies that will decimate my entire clan if I don't kill 25 people minimum within 3 days - and this is just the 6th week. Naturally this is near impossible unless I got an amazing killstreak with the standard team deathmatch. Any other modes wouldn't have sufficed. Such balance must at least be resolved because it sucks going back to the beginning because of such oversight.

Vitanimus

Multiplayer is phenomenal aside from a few setbacks. For one, there was an encounter with the fireflies that will decimate my entire clan if I don't kill 25 people minimum within 3 days - and this is just the 6th week. Naturally this is near impossible unless I got an amazing killstreak with the standard team deathmatch. Any other modes wouldn't have sufficed. Such balance must at least be resolved because it sucks going back to the beginning because of such oversight.

Why didn't you choose a different mission then? Heals are by far the easiest.

Choose a different mission then. There are missions that are far easier to accomplish than the kills mission. And every time you select a mission you have selected before the requirements to complete the mission goes up.

The easiest missions in my opinion are the heal and mark missions. The gift item mission is easy too if you have crafter 2.

Fezan

Ended the game twice.just started playing mp and its so good. Reminds me of cs and scom.
still dnt have a single freind do if any one wana add me my psn Id is
fezanowais

Quick question: does the Collector perk actually give you 10-20% more ITEMS from the load out boxes (scissors, alcohol, etc), or just more "parts" to feed your clan? Or perhaps more "parts" to upgrade weapons?

Can't figure it out.

jediyoshi

You just need to choose your missions more carefully. Save the easy like downing/executions/killing with your main/crafting/reviving/healing for the more important landmarks (losing dudes) and everything else for bonus scenarios (gaining dudes).
Quick question: does the Collector perk actually give you 10-20% more ITEMS from the load out boxes (scissors, alcohol, etc), or just more "parts" to feed your clan? Or perhaps more "parts" to upgrade weapons?

Can't figure it out.

Parts to feed your clan, they're usually pretty particular with their wording.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Live-Update-Weapons-Balancing/m-p/41640761#U41640761

Eric-ND:"Today you'll see a live update being pushed to try to balance the weapons a bit more fairly. We're testing these out. Give us your feedback here and we'll see how it goes.

Semi-Automatic Rifle
Base:
Clip size reduced from 10 to 8
Accuracy reduced 8%
Upgrade Level 1:
Clip size reduced from 12 to 11
Accuracy reduced by 4%
Upgrade Level 2:
No Changes

Shorty
Base:
Rate of fire increased by 10%
Upgrade Level 1: Rate of fire increased by 7%
Upgrade Level 2: No Changes

Burst Rifle
Ammo Cost reduced from 150 to 120 (3 bullets)"

colormage1

Neo Member
Got to the final day, and lost all of my clan. That's awful.

I'm very upset though. I was put into a match midway and definitely wasn't going to complete my objectives.

NeoGiff

Got to the final day, and lost all of my clan. That's awful.

I'm very upset though. I was put into a match midway and definitely wasn't going to complete my objectives.

If that happens again at a crucial time, just quit straight to the XMB. It's not fair, and not worth playing through the match.

Jinjo

On PSN I'm Spiffy_Giffy.

I think I still have you on my list, I still regulary play with another group of people (maybe a night or 2 in the week). I'll be sure to send you an invite if I see you next time.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Live-Update-Weapons-Balancing/m-p/41640761#U41640761

Eric-ND:"Today you'll see a live update being pushed to try to balance the weapons a bit more fairly. We're testing these out. Give us your feedback here and we'll see how it goes.

Semi-Automatic Rifle
Base:
Clip size reduced from 10 to 8
Accuracy reduced 8%
Upgrade Level 1:
Clip size reduced from 12 to 11
Accuracy reduced by 4%
Upgrade Level 2:
No Changes

Shorty
Base:
Rate of fire increased by 10%
Upgrade Level 1: Rate of fire increased by 7%
Upgrade Level 2: No Changes

Burst Rifle
Ammo Cost reduced from 150 to 120 (3 bullets)"

Damn. I always found weapon balance near-perfect. Then again, this might make the burst rifle more viable and investments in lv2 upgrades more worthwhile. Except for the bow usually I just stick to lv1 upgrades, after that I always get my personal weapon/armour.

Shorty rate of fire increase is interesting. Always felt too slow just by a bit, but not a major disadvantage. Time to throw this bad-boy back in my loadout.

NeoGiff

I think I still have you on my list, I still regulary play with another group of people (maybe a night or 2 in the week). I'll be sure to send you an invite if I see you next time.

Thanks. I probably won't be playing as often as I used to with GTAV just out, but keep an eye out just in case!

Vitanimus

I went in for a OHKO melee kill and at the end of the animation the guy shivs me. The melee system in this game seriously sucks sometimes.

colormage1

Neo Member
If that happens again at a crucial time, just quit straight to the XMB. It's not fair, and not worth playing through the match.

Yea, it sucks. I wished the game had a way of to go, "Hey, you were put into a match midway, this doesn't count as a "day" for anything. No need for supplies or objectives." The same for when you have your party members leave. Yes, I know we're going to lose when we are down 10-19, but having two party members leave and it's two versus four, I'm lucky if I then get any downs or kills! It just sucks.

But I love the metagame, and I just chalk it up to being able to prepare for everything or anticipate everything, so if you're put into an awful situation, try and make the best of it!

Played a couple of interrogation matches and I think it's great. Forgot how good the mp in this game is, need to find more time to play it.

Noob here with some noob questions.

Why can the enemy often bum rush me and take me down with one or two hits with a 2x4/bat/whatever, but I can't do the same? I've gotten a shot or two off and when I go to rush them instead of reload, I hit them once or twice, but they will hit me back one single time and I'll go down. Is this completely related to how much health the both of us have left?

How do you use the shiv? Just like any other melee? As long as they are stunned by sugar bomb/unaware of me running up behind them I get the one shot kill?

If you sprint do you show up on the radar regardless of how far you are to an enemy or only if you're within a certain distance?

Any general tips you guys can give me?

Gaf Username: Zuhzuhzombie!!
PSN ID: SemiHollowCarrot
Timezone: US Central
Mic/No Mic: No Mic but I'm good at listening and plan to get one.

Top Bottom