• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Multiplayer Discussion Thread

Noob here with some noob questions.

Why can the enemy often bum rush me and take me down with one or two hits with a 2x4/bat/whatever, but I can't do the same? I've gotten a shot or two off and when I go to rush them instead of reload, I hit them once or twice, but they will hit me back one single time and I'll go down. Is this completely related to how much health the both of us have left?

How do you use the shiv? Just like any other melee? As long as they are stunned by sugar bomb/unaware of me running up behind them I get the one shot kill?

If you sprint do you show up on the radar regardless of how far you are to an enemy or only if you're within a certain distance?

Any general tips you guys can give me?

Gaf Username: Zuhzuhzombie!!
PSN ID: SemiHollowCarrot
Timezone: US Central
Mic/No Mic: No Mic but I'm good at listening and plan to get one.

It takes 2 swings to kill someone with the 2x4, or 1 if they attached scissors to it. More than likely your just experiencing some server lag if they haven't upgraded their stick. The same thing happens to me. As for the shiv your correct. Although sometimes the shiv que button doesn't always come up when you rush someone with a sugar bomb thrown. And yes you'll always show up on the radar if you sprint. No exceptions and it doesn't matter how far you are from the enemy.

As for tips the biggest I could give you is make sure you hit all the boxes for supplies. In fact don't even bother sitting down to craft anything until you hit at least 3 boxes.

Tagg9

Why can the enemy often bum rush me and take me down with one or two hits with a 2x4/bat/whatever, but I can't do the same? I've gotten a shot or two off and when I go to rush them instead of reload, I hit them once or twice, but they will hit me back one single time and I'll go down. Is this completely related to how much health the both of us have left?

Were you wearing any armor? That's usually the difference when you both start using melee attacks.

How do you use the shiv? Just like any other melee? As long as they are stunned by sugar bomb/unaware of me running up behind them I get the one shot kill?
Just sneak up behind someone and wait for the triangle button prompt. Same thing works for the smoke bomb.

If you sprint do you show up on the radar regardless of how far you are to an enemy or only if you're within a certain distance?
You will always be seen, but if you aren't within the enemy's minimap radius then they will not see your marker.

Feel feel to add me (PSN: TaggSte). I usually just play Interrogation now.

todahawk

Any general tips you guys can give me?

Gaf Username: Zuhzuhzombie!!
PSN ID: SemiHollowCarrot
Timezone: US Central
Mic/No Mic: No Mic but I'm good at listening and plan to get one.

Shit man, I think I played with you the other night! I'll send ya an invite... my PSN id is todahawk

Regarding melee damage, they are likely running with the Brawler perk. At Brawler level 2 they get a little health back with each hit. That's a huge difference in 1v1. Pretty sure armor is ignored in melee.

If an enemy is smoked, you can shiv from any angle, including the front.

+1 on sprinting not showing up unless you are within a certain range.
it's very apparent on Dam. There are high level guys that know pretty much when to stop sprinting at the beginning of a match to cover the most distance possible in order to set up for flanking/shivving.

Were you wearing any armor? That's usually the difference when you both start using melee attacks.

You will always be seen, but if you aren't within the enemy's minimap radius then they will not see your marker.

Armor doesn't effect melee attacks, only the guns. And your always seen on the minimap when you sprint regardless of distance. I've seen this on The Dam at the very start when people dash to the very first box.

NeoGiff

Bumping this up because I need more GAF members on my friends list. Sick and tired of randoms wandering off on their own during Interrogation and losing the game for us.

My PSN handle is Spiffy_Giffy.

I'm in the EU, and usually play in the evenings sometime between 5 and 9pm GMT.

Vitanimus

How's the matchmaking/player pop doing?

I stopped playing after GTA V but will jump back on.

Matchmaking is still largely broken in regards to team level averages. Still very much populated, although the GAF numbers have dwindled. Hopefully the map pack next week (?) will revitalize the community.

ksdixon

GAF ID: lilsting10
PSN ID: ksdixon
No Mic.
United Kingdom.
Casual/n00b player (sorry!)
I like to play the Stealth loadout, just wish it was a bit more powerfull when I get caught against someone else's more powerful gun.

ksdixon

there is a map pack coming? i thought we were due some dlc which was single player?

is it just me or does the flamethrower feel like the GOAT weapon in multiplayer matches? I dread coming up against someone weilding one of those, lol.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
there is a map pack coming? i thought we were due some dlc which was single player?

is it just me or does the flamethrower feel like the GOAT weapon in multiplayer matches? I dread coming up against someone weilding one of those, lol.

Only if you're close. It's an ambush weapon, and that kind of balances it.

ksdixon

I found something odd in my multiplayer games today. Once I remembers how to set nail bombs down instead of throwing them, the firefly I had laid it as a trap for ran off in a different direction. I attempted to retreive the nail bomb like you can in the campaign, but it wouldn't let me. A glitch or by design specifically in multiplayer?

ksdixon

So how do you guys play?

I find myself playing Stealth, and I usually try to stay out of the action and mark people for my teammates. When I feel I can help out I try to take-out some enemies or revive teammates that have been knocked to the ground. I don't usually go for the special kill animations as they tend to take too long and if the opponent you just knocked to the floor has buddies around then you're just asking for someone with an upgraded melee weapon to hit you upside the head with it for a one-hit-kill.

I found something odd in my multiplayer games today. Once I remembers how to set nail bombs down instead of throwing them, the firefly I had laid it as a trap for ran off in a different direction. I attempted to retreive the nail bomb like you can in the campaign, but it wouldn't let me. A glitch or by design specifically in multiplayer?
You can't pick up bombs in multiplayer.

One of the best MP games in a long while, highly underated.

I need more maps tho! Completely burnt out on the maps.
My fave playstyle (after basic Stealth+Silenced AR) set-up
All Heal+Revive perks
Pistol
Magnum

Love playing support, hate that I'm open to being seen tho through walls or tagged.

Stratostar

My favorite maps are Bill's Town and High School.

I strongly dislike University, but I'm pretty indifferent to the others.

Anyone else agree/disagree?

My favorite maps are Bill's Town and High School.

I strongly dislike University, but I'm pretty indifferent to the others.

Anyone else agree/disagree?

Love them all but Downtown. Might be cause it always gets downvoted so I hardly play it...but its not very good anyway.

2 new maps on the 15th right? Bet it will be the last maps :( Wish more people loved it so we would get a slew of packs :)

I don't like either of the night maps. Dunno if I'm getting old man eyes or what.

Lakeside can be fun at times, but too often you'll get teammates who think they're the sniping shit and break off from the team and camp on a roof and accomplish nothing.

The Dam, Checkpoint, and Bill's Town are tied for my favorite, though The Dam is the map I'm best at.

University is fun, but firefights tend to become a little too one side of the map vs. the other.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how they will handle the new map pack dlc + the automatch system, since not everyone is buying the dlc and you choose between 2 maps during lobby time.

There must be a new mode / tournament system , right?
Right.. ?!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Still waiting for a hardcore/stripped playlist... probably never happening.

Never playing this MP again until they add it or a horde mode. The vanilla game was fun for a while, but I still consider it a huge miss and wasted potential.

ksdixon

man I gotta find out how to get the melee upgrade quicker - currently I can only get it if I search 1-3 of the loot boxes first. maybe it's a loadout perk later-on that I've not unlocked yet.

just getting a bit annoyed at people bum rushing me through my gunfire to plant a 2x4 with a nail in it into my head.

Stratostar

man I gotta find out how to get the melee upgrade quicker - currently I can only get it if I search 1-3 of the loot boxes first. maybe it's a loadout perk later-on that I've not unlocked yet.

just getting a bit annoyed at people bum rushing me through my gunfire to plant a 2x4 with a nail in it into my head.

I hate that.

There are specific boxes on each map that have wooden planks. Here's where they are:

DAM - At the bottom of the map in the water behind the big rock.

BILL'S TOWN - If you're starting at the church, it's in the building to the right... if you're starting by the white truck, it's in that same building to the left.

UNIVERSITY - If you're starting by the hedges/water fountain, it's in the building closest to you. If you're starting on the other side, it's in the far away building.

HIGH SCHOOL - Outside in the grass where the buses are.

LAKESIDE - If you're starting near the hotel at the top of the map, it's to your right near where the fences are. If you're starting below near that truck/house, it's up the stairs to your left.

CHECKPOINT - If you're starting near the firehall, it's in that small building/room to your right. If you're starting near the truck, it's the small building/room to your left.

DOWNTOWN - No one ever plays Downtown.
So, the first thing you should do at the start of every game is get the box closest to you. The NEXT THING you should do is SPRINT towards that box with the 2x4. Don't sprint RIGHT UP to the box, but sprint close enough so that you have cover in case the other team is running for it too. Also, if the rest of your team goes another way, and enemies are closing in on that 2x4 box, it isn't worth dying over.

HERE IS MIKE'S MOST IMPORTANT PIECE OF ADVICE EVER FOR PEOPLE NEW TO THE GAME:

Do NOT RUN unless you absolutely have to.

Running makes you show up on the enemy's radar. They will automatically know where you are. I cannot count the number of times I've been sneaking up on an enemy, only to have a teammate run up behind me and alert that enemy to our presence. It drives me NUTS.

Regardless, I've gotten to the point where my Kill:Down ration is at least 2:1, but usually 3:1 or higher. Love this game so much.

ksdixon

How do you gift items to your team mates? And how do you bandage them up when they're not incapacitated, sometimes I get a prompt to press x and other times I do not?

I really wish there was an option to rotate the camera when spectating a particular person, just so you could take-in thier complete surroundings.

How do you gift items to your team mates? And how do you bandage them up when they're not incapacitated, sometimes I get a prompt to press x and other times I do not?

I really wish there was an option to rotate the camera when spectating a particular person, just so you could take-in thier complete surroundings.
You can only gift items if you use the crafter perk. Once you've crafted a gift, equip it (press up on the dpad twice), then press R1 when you're next to them. If their inventory is full of whatever item you're trying to gift them (this happens often with health packs), then you have to try and give it to someone else.

Likewise, you can only heal people if you choose the Healer perk (level 2 or 3). Just hold X next to a player who has the health icon over their head.

Are the maps free, do you purchase them through TLOU store, and/or do you get them with the Season Pass?

I'm definitely getting the single player DLC when it comes out, so should I just get a Season Pass now? Has pricing been established for any of this stuff?

Roflobear

Are the maps free, do you purchase them through TLOU store, and/or do you get them with the Season Pass?

I'm definitely getting the single player DLC when it comes out, so should I just get a Season Pass now? Has pricing been established for any of this stuff?

I believe it's $10 for these four maps, $10 for the single player DLC, and $10 for whatever the last piece of multiplayer DLC is. Season pass is $20 so that might be a good route to go down if you want one of the multiplayer DLCs on top of the single player. Plus the season pass comes with a pretty cool making of documentary

Jinjo

I believe it's $10 for these four maps, $10 for the single player DLC, and $10 for whatever the last piece of multiplayer DLC is. Season pass is $20 so that might be a good route to go down if you want one of the multiplayer DLCs on top of the single player. Plus the season pass comes with a pretty cool making of documentary

And don't forget the hats, man. Free hats!

These maps better be up in the EU tomorrow as well.

Edit: today actually, if I wanna be precise about it.

sprinting makes you turn up on the minimap? okay didnt know that, might expain a few things..

This made me laugh harder than it should've.
I feel like a lot of people don't understand that running gives away your position. There's always that one guy who runs around the map like crazy and constantly dies. I caught on pretty quickly considering I stuck with the stealth loadout from the start.

It drives me nuts when I'm playing with someone who SPRINTS UP CLOSE TO THE ENEMY and then crouches down, acting all stealth, the fools don't know I'm behind this box and then gets fucking obliterated for some reason! How did they know?!

Oh well, let's try that fucking strategy again!

Dart

Hey guys heads up, if you get your timing right & shoot an arrow at an enemy after the match is over (right before the transition to black in prep for next match) the game freezes. Happened to me a couple times already.

Somebody add me. I've recently got back in to playing. I don't have anybody on my friends list who plays

My psn id is CarlosVato

Sadly I don't have a mic but I'll listen to call outs and help out my team still and whatnot

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Sooo 4 new maps tomorrow! Can't wait. They all look great, especially Bookstore.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/14/behold-the-last-of-us-four-new-multiplayer-maps

Wow, thanks for the link. Those sound awesome; should offer some nice variation to existing gameplay. This is the first time I've ever been excited for a map pack.

Weird question, but does anyone have any idea if these will go up on Japanese PSN, or if the pack will be universal? I don't know if my JPN version of the game came with a season pass, but I definitely don't wanna drop a tenner on something that won't work.

Jinjo

Does anyone know at what time will these be able for download in EU?

Hopefully today, but worst case scenario is tomorrow when the PSN store normally updates.

Edit: Some great patch updates. No more start-match 2x4 sillyness thank god. Hopefully this makes the machete more viable as well. Hopefully interrogations will end up less in a shitting tie now too. They made getting the skull mask easy-mode now, with late joins not taking up a clan-day, and part-bonus for late joiners is great so you don't start at a major disadvantage when you do.

aJzcQSe.jpg

hmoLwCo.jpg

Nice.

nicolajNN

I'm definitely happy with less less ties in Interrogation, but my one fear is that we're going to see too many matches where one team gets it to the first mark, and then just sit back at their own box for the reminder of the match

Jazzed about the new patch and DLC, but WHY CAN'T I RENAME MY LOADOUTS?

It's such a minor complaint to what is otherwise my favorite multiplayer of the year, but come on, guys. Let me rename my loadouts!

Top Bottom