• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

graywolf323

I don't want to go downstairs :-s :'( *slowly pacing self through the intro*

I'm going to need to watch Animaniacs episodes to help with playing this game aren't I?

Yerolo

I wish I was better at aiming with a controller :( I totally suck when having to pull off a headshot, I wish there was an autoaim option for the noobs like me

antitrop

Okay, finished the intro. Heart is pounding like crazy, sweating like a pig, but dry eyes.

Need a breather. A cigarette would be nice.

Doesn't top Bioshock Infinite's opening, but damn... that was something.

panty

My GOTY'13 easily so far. 4 hours went by just like that.

I'm loving the characters, both Joel and Ellie + co are just superb, especially Ellie...and Joel.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I wish I was better at aiming with a controller :( I totally suck when having to pull off a headshot, I wish there was an autoaim option for the noobs like me

when you switch to easy there is an autoaim option.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
The opening was pretty great, but I felt Telltale's Walking Dead did its opening to their world better. Then the game goes through the usual tutorial process, which dragged a bit. The game is picking up though, but wow the A.I. can be bad at times. I feel like enemies run at you in the open way too much, and their companions fail to shot me even when I'm in the open brawling with another. Meanwhile, my companions sprint through the environments (sometimes in front of enemies) yet are never detected. Really ruins the immersion.

Graphics are downright amazing at times and really great music and audio so far (voice acting is top-tier). Just hoping the gameplay pick up and the actual environments branches out a bit further on.

Zarrastro

LOL that's actually Joel's fault

Please, to any readers... Would you kindly create a thread to openly talk about the intro? Our reactions to it and some other things i want to say but not here. Please...

Sorral

UPS didn't leave a note at the door, so I thought they didn't deliver my copy yet. After checking amazon, apparently the guy left it at the leasing office which is now closed. I have to wait until tomorrow now. #endoftheworld

GQman2121

Banned
I am playing, I do like it a lot, the lack of objective modes is unfortunate, but the tension/crafting/scavenging/management/teamwork is great.

I want to make a separate OT for MP but I can't atm, so I'd really like someone to do it.

I'm thinking:

Last of Us Multiplayer OT || Shiv Together, Die Alone

That's cool. I want to give it try at somepoint and OT thread are always a good place to start.

DukeBobby

If it makes you feel in any better, I imagine a lot of us are having problems pulling off headshots. It's definitely not easy in this game.

Anyone have any really badass MP moments?

Me...it was my second match, still getting a hang of it. I'm hiding behind a desk, two guys run past me, go upstairs. I stay crouched, follow them. They're preoccupied. I shiv one. Rush the other, melee and execute. Felt like a badass

I don't really get the survivors part of multiplayer with the clan or whatever? Do you just have to play everyday or else people get sick and die?

I didn't see any of this stuff, when I click clan it just says 12 Weeks and some other slides.

I think the clan and all that stuff is a giant text-based sim or something... It's fun in that sense, actually.

Um, also, you get random events that occur which require you to choose a mission or something-- sort of like objectives that you buy in CoD for COD Points.

I'm unsure what the point of gaining a clan/survivors is though... they don't explain jackshit.

I really wish they had a team or something to properly polish the MP. It's definitely fun, and I intend to stick around for it, but I still feel a lack of objective modes is damning.

Stuart444

So I just completed it. Fantastic game, very emotional as well.

MAJOR ENDING SPOILERS (bolded for emphasis and in hopes of people seeing that before automatically highlighting stuff :p )

I wished it was a happy ending but in that situation, I just don't know how it could have ended happily. Joel, he was a bit selfish giving up a possible cure for humankind for the girl who he will end up leaving when he dies anyway (due to the age difference). However I understand why he did it.

It would have been lose Elle or give up the cure for everyone. In the end, he chose the latter. There was no way this would have been a happy end for all. The story itself from beginning to end was pulled off very decently though. But I do prefer happier ends than this :(

So yeah, that's how I feel about it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Man, the ally AI is annoying. They can block doorways for a few seconds before moving and blatantly walk right into enemies without them reacting. Other than that, the environment and atmosphere has been ace.

Being in the middle of a room when there's around 5-6 clickers walking around is very tense. In the demo I messed with them a lot and they didn't seem like a huge threat, but I was wrong there. Still saving up for the shiv clicker for my first upgrade.

My GOTY'13 easily so far. 4 hours went by just like that.

I'm loving the characters, both Joel and Ellie + co are just superb, especially Ellie...and Joel.
I don't know if it will beat GTAV and Watch Dogs in terms of pure gameplay

But for narrative, atmosphere, and sheer fucking tension, this is GOTY 2013

Vire

I just wish the framerate held up.

It dives in the weirdest places too. Blemish on an otherwise brilliant game.

antitrop

The art is beyond incredible, but damn this 720p resolution.

The image quality is disgusting, jaggy lines flying all over the place. It's the most distracting thing in the world. And they move...

Textures flickering all over the fucking place. It's nearly unplayable, guess I'll just have to suffer.

DrPirate

Banned
Hi everyone, long time fan of Uncharted here.

So far, like, 4 hours in.

I love the game and all, but... It's not what I expected... So far this just feels like a slower paced Uncharted game. The way they set up some of the encounters and such just feels like Uncharted 2/3.

Nevertheless, I'm still having a blast, and I'm hooked, I just expected something different.

I also feel Joel has way too much health, I look forward to playing this on Survivor mode, as it stands the game feels to easy.

Also, fuck do I wish this was on PS4. It literally is a crying shame that this game's beauty is limited by this system.

DukeBobby

The art is beyond incredible, but damn this 720p resolution.

The image quality is disgusting, jaggy lines flying all over the place. It's the most distracting thing in the world. And they move...

Textures flickering all over the fucking place.

Man...it hurt my eyes so much at first.

You do get used to it, though.

Yerolo

I don't know if it will beat GTAV and Watch Dogs in terms of pure gameplay

But for narrative, atmosphere, and sheer fucking tension, this is GOTY 2013

Its going to be tough coming up with a top 5 this year with so many great games released and nextgen games in November/December

I have already earmarked GTAV for a slot in there but this game is definitely in the top 3 along with Bioshock and Call of Juarez

Zarrastro

Its going to be tough coming up with a top 5 this year with so many great games released and nextgen games in November/December

I have already earmarked GTAV for a slot in there but this game is definitely in the top 3 along with Bioshock and Call of Juarez

I'm glad you mention Call of Juarez. I actually think it's amazing an so much fun.
I think Last of Us will still stand up high against next gen games

spannicus

I am in love with this game, I think im going to have to witness ND's other titles after this one. Uncharted 2 and 3 are so bought.

Yerolo

I'm sure I will, but Jesus it's bad.

I'm playing on a nice 42" Sony Bravia, too. It's not the TV.

Yeh, I know what you mean, im playing on a 55" Bravia and noticed it straight away. It seems very smooth though and the art direction is pretty incredible, so you dont notice after a very short time playing

DukeBobby

I'm sure I will, but Jesus it's bad.

I'm playing on a nice 42" Sony Bravia, too. It's not the TV.

It's obviously much more noticeable on a big TV. Today, I decided to try it on my smaller TV, and the jaggies were much less noticeable and the game just looked...better.

I might just play it on the smaller one instead. But it just isn't the same...

legacyzero

Banned
GAME BOUGHT, BODY READY

BMwiztsCQAAEgBg.jpg:large

FUCK I havn't bought a console game in AGES. What is this....CONTROLLER... thing?

Megasoum

Banned
For me the worst is the texture resolution... Everything is so blurry!

I guess playing that after a full week of XBO/PS4 non stop footage doesn't help lol.

OwlyKnees

I'm a little stuck at the moment, can someone who has finished the game (or got to at least 40%-ish) offer some advice? I'll spoiler tag the section:

I'm in the sunken basement of the hotel after falling down the elevator shaft. When you activate the generator it causes runners and a bloated to show up. My issue is that I'm playing on Survivor, so I have about half health, a bomb and three shots in my hunting rifle. That's it. Not able to craft anything either. Can I run past these guys? I notice there is a door that says it needs a keycard. Where is this keycard?

Thanks for any help!

spannicus

It's obviously much more noticeable on a big TV. Today, I decided to try it on my smaller TV, and the jaggies were much less noticeable and the game just looked...better.

I might just play it on the smaller one instead.

Im playing on a 50 and its also something i noticed. I have a DLP Projector the native res is 800x600 or something but it looks awesome on that you really dont notice anything like jaggies. Usually i will get around a 60in image. I think the lower resolution helps out alot.

Abylim

Enjoying the game so far, but encountered something weird last night. For a few hours, the game kept saying it was autosaving, and I couldnt choose anything but the top 3 options.

I waited 15 minutes, hoping it would save, but it didnt. Turned the game off, put it back on and I lost a ton of progress. Anyone else have this issue?

Zemm

I'm a little stuck at the moment, can someone who has finished the game (or got to at least 40%-ish) offer some advice? I'll spoiler tag the section:

I'm in the sunken basement of the hotel after falling down the elevator shaft. When you activate the generator it causes runners and a bloated to show up. My issue is that I'm playing on Survivor, so I have about half health, a bomb and three shots in my hunting rifle. That's it. Not able to craft anything either. Can I run past these guys? I notice there is a door that says it needs a keycard. Where is this keycard?

Thanks for any help!

yes you can run past. This was one of the harder parts of the game imo. Or most annoying, I'm not sure which, both?

Stuart444

Thanks for any help!

Have you got the keycard? Look around, it's on a desk somewhere. After that, plan you exit before turning on the generator. (from the generator to the door that needs the keycard). After it's on... RUN and run like mad

Just finished.

That was the "Crazy" ending?

7/10 overall for the game. Dialogue was very solid but the story was predictable as hell. The combat was a chore and frustrating more than anything. Either because of dumb AI, several glitches which I ran into, or unending hordes of enemies. Not literally unending of course, but man are some of these survivors loaded with meat fodder. Why do I fight a fucking nation state sized army in every Naughty Dog game? Especially this one.

The graphics were phenomenal, sound was solid, music was good. Animations felt hit and miss overall.

All in all it was a really fucking pretty, yet generic third person shooter with an above-average zombie story.

Took me roughly 13 hours to beat on normal if anyone is curious. I spent a decent amount of time exploring, but needed to get it done due to fear of the autosave glitch and because it's a one-day rental.

Top Bottom