• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Fantasmo

I passed that section. There were 5 total. I stealthed 3 and brain bashed 2, infected dude first. After killing 2 of them I literally sat there for 3 minutes hoping the 1 guys AI path would be closer to me than them and it was so I got that 3rd. Pipe made short work of guy 4 and I was ready to hit the 5th before he started attacking. I definitely hope future areas are more forgiving.

Ghazi

So without spoiling anything, to all the people who've finished the game, did this game live up to the hype?

I know it came out yesterday, I'm referring to people who got it early.

Can someone help me, for a while now when playing my ps3, the screen is always too dark, even when i raise the in game brightness. Yesterday i was playing this and the night scenes at the very start i can barely see anything. My ps3 is plugged hdmi. The rub is that so is my 360, on the same tv and on there, the colors and brightness are fine. Is there a setting i dont know about here?

Fool around with your ps3 display settings in the xmb. Should be the rgb setting.

Bankoiia

I passed that section. There were 5 total. I stealthed 3 and brain bashed 2, infected dude first. After killing 2 of them I literally sat there for 3 minutes hoping the 1 guys AI path would be closer to me than them and it was so I got that 3rd. Pipe made short work of guy 4 and I was ready to hit the 5th before he started attacking. I definitely hope future areas are more forgiving.

Just passed it too. It was close as fuck, though. Managed to get a drop on the clicker, which made the rest of them easier to take out. Are you playing on hard?

The_Monk

Hmm in the demo section now. It seems there are more guys in remember that I remember. Maybe because I'm on Hard and I played the demo on Normal?

This game with an headset... So intense. I know they are waiting for me, noo... :(

MMaRsu

So without spoiling anything, to all the people who've finished the game, did this game live up to the hype?

I wasnt that hyped cause i went in the dark on this game but its one of the best this gen imo.

Also once again id recommended playing on hard. On survivor you cant use the listen functionality!

I'm really enjoying this so far. Different than what I expected, as I wasn't expected it to feel this much like a survival horror.
My only problem so far is that the game seems really really dark everywhere, and I'm not sure if it's my TV or the game itself. Are you not supposed to be able to see at all pretty much when you're in a building without using the flashlight?

Zemm

No, but I don't think any game could live up to the hype/scores the reviewers gave this game. It's still ND's best game and still really good though.

Gbraga

For the most part. Hardly game breaking.

Not game breaking at all, certainly, but not worth writing home about either...

It's probably the most immersive experience I've ever had with gaming. The fact that I just got the Pulse headsets to play it probably helped a lot. I had turtle beach headsets before and Alan Wake was a blast with them, but they're nowhere near Pulse's level, in any way (I didn't buy the high end Turtle Beach, before we turn this into a headset brands war)

cormack12

Gold Member
How do you equip a shiv again? I'm got one made but the direction pad doesn't have shiv there.

You can't, it's a context sensitive item. When you press triangle to grab, you get the option to press square or triangle - square is choke, triangle is shiv.

You also get the option at locked doors to use a shiv as well to break in.

Fantasmo

You can't, it's a context sensitive item. When you press triangle to grab, you get the option to press square or triangle - square is choke, triangle is shiv.

You also get the option at locked doors to use a shiv as well to break in.
Thanks, bad angle I guess

Question about human enemy AI:
Do
soldiers
act differently than hunters? I mean, I'd expect the former to be more organized and use more advanced tactics

Spookie

No not really, it behaves like a hybrid stealth game. It feels like Splinter Cell in a sense with people on patrols (even the monsters) then they have an elevated state. As a game it's good but the over all experience elevates it much higher like Uncharted 2 did. Does that mean it's over hyped? Well it's entirely what you want to get out of the game. If you're looking for new fun and exciting mechanics. You might want to go elsewhere or wait till it's cheaper as things get quite repetitive quite quickly and many problems can be solved the same way. But if you want a good narrative with excellent dialogue which is carried along by some decent set pieces and engaging gameplay you should go out and buy it.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Hmm in the demo section now. It seems there are more guys in remember that I remember. Maybe because I'm on Hard and I played the demo on Normal?

This game with an headset... So intense. I know they are waiting for me, noo... :(

Played the demo on normal, started the game on hard. I can assure you its exactly the same amountof enemies.

Some advice for some of you having trouble with stealth... i ALWAYS make sure i have a brick or bottle on hand. Gets me out of so many hairy situations when im in cover and the AI changes his path and is about to spot me. Having good headphones or having the tv at a good level helps also. There will be a specific sound that will raise in tone when a enemy starts to see you. You have about 3-5 seconds to fine cover and hide. This is mainly for human enemies.

ldcommando

Banned
For those having troubles with the stealth section I would recommend mashing triangle while approaching the enemy slowly. I was also getting detected a lot and after I started doing this things got way better.

Sethos

Banned
What the fuck is up with the cutscenes that has no voices? Hit my third in less than two hours. You can hear everything else but no voices whatsoever, it's doing my head in.

Ghazi

I wasnt that hyped cause i went in the dark on this game but its one of the best this gen imo.

Also once again id recommended playing on hard. On survivor you cant use the listen functionality!

Nice, I'm going in mostly dark too. I just know a bit about MP, which I still know almost next to nothing about. Can't wait to pick this up then.

No, but I don't think any game could live up to the hype/scores the reviewers gave this game. It's still ND's best game and still really good though.

Well I went in that thread earlier about the review scores and started complaining about reviewers were making everyone set their expectations too high, I'm not worried about being let down in that sense. What it mostly boils down to: Is the Combat and Story Naughty Dog tier?

No not really, it behaves like a hybrid stealth game. It feels like Splinter Cell in a sense with people on patrols (even the monsters) then they have an elevated state. As a game it's good but the over all experience elevates it much higher like Uncharted 2 did. Does that mean it's over hyped? Well it's entirely what you want to get out of the game. If you're looking for new fun and exciting mechanics. You might want to go elsewhere or wait till it's cheaper as things get quite repetitive quite quickly and many problems can be solved the same way. But if you want a good narrative with excellent dialogue which is carried along by some decent set pieces and engaging gameplay you should go out any buy it.
Yep, I'm buying it; this is what I was looking for. I just asked the exact same thing in my previous edit before seeing your post.

antitrop

What the fuck is up with the cutscenes that has no voices? Hit my third in less than two hours. You can hear everything else but no voices whatsoever, it's doing my head in.

Oh God, I thought this bug only came up with shitty Bink videos on PC. :(

Spec Ops: The Line and Max Payne 3 both did that to me CONSTANTLY on PC last year. Surprised that bug is on consoles, too.

Fantasmo

Oh god. 7 enemies in this next section. Gonna drop it to easy. Im not in the mood for stealth at all, just wanna see and do cool stuff. Stealthed 4 guys, wanted to shoot the last 2, turned out to be 3 more, and got chomped. Now I have to play it over, slowly. Grr!

Best game I've ever played. The level of polish/attention to detail, storytelling, acting, visual effects (on a 7 year old console), controls, gun play, etc are simply unrivaled. I've been gaming for the last 25+ years and I can't think of any game that delivered this hard on all fronts. Excellent job, ND.I thought the 10/10 hype was bs but I see now that I'm wrong.

This is by the scariest game I've played in a long time. I don't think any game has felt so tense, regardless of time of day or type of enemy. Trying to navigate around clickers without shiva and like 5 bullets in the dark, watching enemies spread out to find you and you don't have any medkits, just creeping through the dark in general with sounds of clickers and runner wheezes around you

The atmosphere is just honed to perfection. The tension is incredible. No other game has made my heart pound like this. Not Dead Space, Siren Blood Curse, RE4...TLOU raises the bar for creating tension through gameplay design and atmosphere. It's not artificial, like how DS has vents that you know enemies are going pop out of or ruin any kind of good scare with fucking music effects. This is just subtle, scared for your life tension, pure survival horror

And not a single fucking jump scare. Kudos ND

Sethos

Banned
Oh God, I thought this bug only came up with shitty Bink videos on PC. :(

Spec Ops: The Line and Max Payne 3 both did that to me CONSTANTLY on PC last year. Surprised that bug is on consoles, too.

I'm surprised too that this shit happens. I turned off my console when I reached a longer scene that had lots of talking. Stuff like that annoys me to such a degree it kills games for me, I simply can't be bothered dealing with it ( ESPECIALLY in story heavy games like this ).

Game is going on the shelf until I find a fix for it.

Best game I've ever played. The level of polish/attention to detail, storytelling, acting, visual effects (on a 7 year old console), controls, gun play, etc are simply unrivaled. I've been gaming for the last 25+ years and I can't think of any game that delivered this hard on all fronts. Excellent job, ND.I thought the 10/10 hype was bs but I see now that I'm wrong.

This is by the scariest game I've played in a long time. I don't think any game has felt so tense, regardless of time of day or type of enemy. Trying to navigate around clickers without shiva and like 5 bullets in the dark, watching enemies spread out to find you and you don't have any medkits, just creeping through the dark in general with sounds of clickers and runner wheezes around you

The atmosphere is just honed to perfection. The tension is incredible. No other game has made my heart pound like this. Not Dead Space, Siren Blood Curse, RE4...TLOU raises the bar for creating tension through gameplay design and atmosphere. It's not artificial, like how DS has vents that you know enemies are going pop out of or ruin any kind of good scare with fucking music effects. This is just subtle, scared for your life tension, pure survival horror

And not a single fucking jump scare. Kudos ND

Can't wait to finally play it later damn it >_<

Stampy

The writing in this game is phenomenal... I only wished more games had such good script for actors to read. :( This is depressing...

Absolutely love this game. Some of the impressions here had me thinking maybe it would just be the story/writing/acting that was really strong but it would falter in the gameplay or some other areas, but this is pretty much the perfect game for me. One of the best games I've ever played without question.

33% in (played for just under 5 hours), the part I'm up to now feels like it's on a whole new level to the earlier bits. Can't wait to see what the rest of the game has in store for me.
I imagine I'll have it finished in no time as I've basically been playing since the download reached the playable point (69%)

Absolutely love this game. Some of the impressions here had me thinking maybe it would just be the story/writing/acting that was really strong but it would falter in the gameplay or some other areas, but this is pretty much the perfect game for me. One of the best games I've ever played without question.

33% in (played for just under 5 hours), the part I'm up to now feels like it's on a whole new level to the earlier bits. Can't wait to see what the rest of the game has in store for me.
I imagine I'll have it finished in no time as I've basically been playing since the download reached the playable point (69%)
Same, four hours in, at the
school
. It's been incredible so far

But the general consensus on the second half can be paraphrased as:
OMG, mind blowing, amazing, blows the first half away, "so fucking intense"...

So yeah, we've ain't seen nothing yet

The whole save debacle has really pissed me off and will reflect on how mch I enjoy the game. Ill play the hour or two I lost qgain but in my eyes gamesave bugs are the worst thing possible.

Also im just about to meet
bill how long until the game supposedly picks up?

Ghazi

The whole save debacle has really pissed me off and will reflect on how mch I enjoy the game. Ill play the hour or two I lost qgain but in my eyes gamesave bugs are the worst thing possible.

Also im just about to meet
bill how long until the game supposedly picks up?

You use square brackets, not parentheses, for forum commands bro.

edit: Ah you fixed it, sweet.

Top Bottom