• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Do you guys remember this gif?

izAd5Hfl8RrgG.gif

Was that scene actually in the full game?

Uthred

With the day 1 digital preorder wasn't there supposed to be some additional dlc? This doesn't seem to appear either on PSN or in the ingame listing. Is it included by default?

DatDude

Banned
Do you guys remember this gif?

izAd5Hfl8RrgG.gif

Was that scene actually in the full game?

Yes actually!

Maybe not exactly like that, but I had Ellie shiv a guy in the back while I was being meleed, and I ended up having the upperhand and a similar guy was begging for his life. I choose to spare him, only for him to quickly draw a pistol and kill me :(

Stampy

I wouldn't like to miss this stuff out, so can someone help and tell me where do you find the code for the safe in the Hotel (Pitsburg) behind the reception desk?

Kule

I wouldn't like to miss this stuff out, so can someone help and tell me where do you find the code for the safe in the Hotel (Pitsburg) behind the reception desk?

it's on the floor directly above, you need to move across a narrow ledge.

JawzPause

go upstairs and then go to the right, crossing the small ledge, its over there

Thrakier

You're backtracking hardcore. You never said aiming was more difficult because of the frame rate, you said you couldn't aim for shit because of it. What I'm saying is that you can't aim because you can't aim, not because of the frame rate. It's more likely to do with the lack of auto aim, the recoil/sway, your skill with the controller, how you're getting on with the movement acceleration etc etc. Not frame rate.

I usually play with fraps open or on in the background. I'm pretty anal about it. It's also easier to notice frame rate drops on a PC than normal imo, partly because you're dropping from higher frame rates and partly because of monitors vs TV's etc.

What the fuck is this shit? Aiming at 27FPS is worse and harder than aiming at 60FPS. Do we really need to discuss that? Certainly I can train and adopt to 27, but that's not fun and not worth it.

I don't have a problem aiming with a controller, neither do I have a problem with accleration, recoil or sway. It's just that the fucking framerate sucks hard and it's a fucking shame that such a jewel of a game suffers so hard under these restrictions. It's Shadows of the Colossus all other again. Massive, epic potential, but borderline playable. And that stinks.

The_Monk

I'm liking this game so much I'm avoiding to play it because then, it will end.

This is how good I think this game is, I think I'm going to start playing it in short burst to increase my gameplay length. Does this even makes sense fellow GAFfers? Probably not, but come on, how long I've been waiting for this game, and the sound is so good too. Amazing.

DatDude

Banned

This is how good I think this game is, I think I'm going to start playing it in short burst to increase my gameplay length. Does this even makes sense fellow GAFfers? Probably not, but come on, how long I've been waiting for this game, and the sound is so good too. Amazing.

I'm doing exactly this. 2-3 hours per day. Sipping it like fine wine. The problem with this game though is that you never really want to put the controller down, you always want to see what happens next. The only time when I wanted to stop was when I realized how near the end I'm getting :(

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, bit of an odd question, but does anyone know how overseas versions of the game will be handled?

I live in Japan and am excited to pick up a physical copy this Thursday (with a nice price and some goodies). Just wondering if anyone happens to know how voice acting/subtitles/text is handled in Naughty Dog's games over here.

If anyone has any info/experience in this regard then it'd be a great boost. Thanks in advance.

DatDude

Banned
Random question, am I correct in assuming that a chapter of the game is based off the season?

Spring
Summer
Fall
Winter?

Currently I'm in fall.

Dude Abides

Banned
Not really feeling the intro hype. Very well crafted but predictable as hell. You know what's going to happen as soon as you get control of the character.

DatDude

Banned
Not really feeling the intro hype. Very well crafted but predictable as hell. You know what's going to happen as soon as you get control of the character.

I think the best part of the intro, and I guess this is where the love stems from is the pure execution. The acting on both joel, his brother tommy, and his daughter are all A+++. That quiver of Joel's voice as he's begging for his daughter not to die is just heartbreak. Also I think it breaks some new grounds for a video game? It didn't shy away from showing the death of a child, which many video games for whatever reason find it incredibly taboo. Also, it was quite interesting and unexpected to take control of his daughter for a bit of the time.

MMaRsu

What the fuck is this shit? Aiming at 27FPS is worse and harder than aiming at 60FPS. Do we really need to discuss that? Certainly I can train and adopt to 27, but that's not fun and not worth it.

I don't have a problem aiming with a controller, neither do I have a problem with accleration, recoil or sway. It's just that the fucking framerate sucks hard and it's a fucking shame that such a jewel of a game suffers so hard under these restrictions. It's Shadows of the Colossus all other again. Massive, epic potential, but borderline playable. And that stinks.

Borderline playable? Must be a personal thing.

Fantasmo

Oh jesus, some of this stealth is going to be unforgivable. I can see myself not wanting to go further.

I mean yeah, of course they don't want to make every section easy, but I'm failing every section before I can get through -- between the flashlights, multiple enemies, etc, its frustrating.

And why is the grab move only available when the enemy is literally right in front of you?

I guess I was under the impression it was going to be an adventure game, but this falls into stealth more than anything so far. Definitely not a big fan of stealth.

Please don't highlight if you haven't played the game yet.

I live with my two nephews. They're not even my sons but I so fucking empathize with what Joel went through that I just teared up.

It's predictable, obviously. But the main point is how it made Joel to how he is 20 years from that.

DatDude

Banned
Oh jesus, some of this stealth is going to be unforgivable. I can see myself not wanting to go further.

I mean yeah, of course they don't want to make every section easy, but I'm failing every section before I can get through -- between the flashlights, multiple enemies, etc, its frustrating.

And why is the grab move only available when the enemy is literally right in front of you?

I guess I was under the impression it was going to be an adventure game, but this falls into stealth more than anything so far. Definitely not a big fan of stealth.

Don't fret. If you don't like stealth you can play this as an action game. Though it's a bit farther ahead than where you are. Where are you btw?

First and foremost, I'd recommend bumping it down to easy though. There are certain sections later on that would benefit from stealth, but you can tackle that in a guns blazing route as well.

Fantasmo

Don't fret. If you don't like stealth you can play this as an action game. Though it's a bit farther ahead than where you are. Where are you btw?

First and foremost, I'd recommend bumping it down to easy though. There are certain sections later on that would benefit from stealth, but you can tackle that in a guns blazing route as well.

I think I need to. I've had my fill of stealth unless it's brain dead simple and these guys cross paths a lot.

I'm at the part right after
you meet your first couple clickers, you pull a cabinet out of the way, drop down with the 2 ladies, but then go ahead and check it out yourself. There's about 5 or 6 bad guys.. 1 or 2 clickers and 3 or 4 other infected. There's some revolver ammo, a pipe, I have enough stuff for 2 shivs. I have 2 health packs also. There's nothing item-wise stopping me from finishing this fight. But there's seemingly no angle I can do this from. I stealth kill the first guy, but then my options are 1) attack guy 2 and set off the whole place or 2) go off to the dark room on the left (took like 6 tries to even know that was there) and let the enemy walk by.

I think I'm supposed to do 2), but after 10 tries I just got frustrated, because I must have come up behind him at the wrong angle, Triangle Grab didn't appear and I set the whole room after me again. Argh.

Can someone help me, for a while now when playing my ps3, the screen is always too dark, even when i raise the in game brightness. Yesterday i was playing this and the night scenes at the very start i can barely see anything. My ps3 is plugged hdmi. The rub is that so is my 360, on the same tv and on there, the colors and brightness are fine. Is there a setting i dont know about here?

Fantasmo

Can someone help me, for a while now when playing my ps3 the screen is always too dark, even when i raise the in game brightness. Yesterday i was playing this and the night scenes at the very start i can barely see anything. My ps3 is plugged hdmi. The rub is that so is my 360, on the same tv and on there, the colors and brightness are fine. Is there a setting i dont know about here?

Some scenes are supposed to be dark, flashlight is used with R3. If regular scenes are wonky, did you mess with the resolution? Can you turn your TV brightness up? Are other games better? Does TV work fine?

Some scenes are supposed to be dark, flashlight is used with R3. If regular scenes are wonky, did you mess with the resolution? Can you turn your TV brightness up?

Ya i know but the dark scenes are always much darker on ps3. My color settings are set perfect when i play my 360 on there. Im really confused. On the 360, i dont have this issue. It only happens on my ps3 games so i know its not the tv.

DatDude

Banned
I think I need to. I've had my fill of stealth unless it's brain dead simple and these guys cross paths a lot.

you meet your first couple clickers, you pull a cabinet out of the way, drop down with the 2 ladies, but then go ahead and check it out yourself. There's about 5 or 6 bad guys.. 1 or 2 clickers and 3 or 4 other infected. There's some revolver ammo, a pipe, I have enough stuff for 2 shivs. I have 2 health packs also. There's nothing item-wise stopping me from finishing this fight. But there's seemingly no angle I can do this from. I stealth kill the first guy, but then my options are 1) attack guy 2 and set off the whole place or 2) go off to the dark room on the left (took like 6 tries to even know that was there) and let the enemy walk by.

I think I'm supposed to do 2), but after 10 tries I just got frustrated, because I must have come up behind him at the wrong angle, Triangle Grab didn't appear and I set the whole room after me again. Argh.

It's all about planning your route.

What I did was target a specific enemy first. What I would recommend is get a brick or a bottle and throw it in a key location that makes the clicker and regular enemies wander to that location.

From there I would get rid of the infected enemies first. Sneak and stealth kill them. Again this is possible by just crouching behind them and pressing square to quietly strangle them.

Always distract the clickers, and the infected.

Bricks and bottles are your friends. An be patient.

cormack12

Gold Member

Stick with it. For that particular area.....

....I dropped down, turned right and took out the single guy on his own at the end.

Waited until the runner had done the little walk in tour of that dark room on the left. Ran in and hid behind the desk at the back. Wait for him to come in again, take him out. Then you'll see two left. I smashed a bottle in there and hid behind the desk, they both came in. But they went out seperate doors at different speeds. So I took out the one leaving last slowest, then the other one poked its head back in then took him out as well.

Bankoiia

This is where I am at the moment. Think I've tried this area a good 20-something times. Starting to feel like too much of a trial-and-error game at this point. Can't believe I have no trouble stealthing my way through any Metal Gear Solid, but that this is giving me such a headache.

DatDude

Banned
Is there ever an explanation why Joel (a texas man I'm assuming) is quarantined in Boston? How did he get all the way there?

Or was he always from Boston? In that case why does he have a southern accent and why does his
have one as well?

This is where I am at the moment. Think I've tried this area a good 20-something times. Starting to feel like too much of a trial-and-error game at this point. Can't believe I have no trouble stealthing my way through any Metal Gear Solid, but that this is giving me such a headache.

This is really the only section like that though.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Where can I upgrade my shivs? (and what do I need? mechanics or pills?) Someone mentioned you can upgrade their durability? Just reached the first workbench to upgrade your weapons, but its not in there. Was the guy just making things up or have I simply not unlocked what I need yet? (The skill for shiv doesnt mention durability, just self-defense against infected)

I'm at
the museum
and I thought I had gotten by these two clickers, no problem. All of a sudden one of them sneaks up behind me and kills me. No sound, nothing. I jumped out of my chair and almost woke the rest of my household up.

cormack12

Gold Member
Where can I upgrade my shivs? (and what do I need? mechanics or pills?) Someone mentioned you can upgrade their durability? Just reached the first workbench to upgrade your weapons, but its not in there. Was the guy just making things up or have I simply not unlocked what I need yet? (The skill for shiv doesnt mention durability, just self-defense against infected)

Shiv upgrades are done in two places - finding a piece of the technical manual. This is a passive upgrade from then on. And you can also upgrade your shiv usage in the pills skill levelling system (bottom one - first one is shiv master I think)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Shiv upgrades are done in two places - finding a piece of the technical manual. This is a passive upgrade from then on. And you can also upgrade your shiv usage in the pills skill levelling system (bottom one - first one is shiv master I think)

Ah, so I need to find the manual thing first. Thanks. So I dont need mechanics for it? Just want to know whether I can spend mechanics on my pistols or whether I should keep them for the shivs.

Ricker

So I get to the first workbench and I have no tools...? I looked and explorerd everywhere I could,besides that section with the guards up top with all the flashlights/spotlights,was getting shot at from goes knows where and barely made it to the ''safe'' spot...they could of at least give you one of those tools...or am I missing something...?

Fantasmo

MGS is a lot more cool about it. They're slow and you get good warning and caution usually pops up before warning, so you have some time to get away. These guys get set off immediately. I don't need to be as decked out as Snake but these 1 wrong move deaths are annoying.

I cooled off a bit though, so I'm gonna give it a few more goes.

Glad to hear this is one of the few sections like that. Hoping that's true.

Bankoiia

This is really the only section like that though.
Got them down to just two this one time, but the thing is most of them just turns around when I'm sneaking up on them. Even when there's no one else close. Naturally I'm crouching and moving slow towards them. Is there anything more I can do for them not to notice me as I approach?

Hixx

So I get to the first workbench and I have no tools...? I looked and explorerd everywhere I could,besides that section with the guards up top with all the flashlights/spotlights,was getting shot at from goes knows where and barely made it to the ''safe'' spot...they could of at least give you one of those tools...or am I missing something...?

You will find them later. It's something you upgrade by collection rather than a currency like the scrap you pick up to upgrade weapons.

Morue

I'm like you. I don't want it to end, but once I start playing, I can't stop because I want to know what's gonna happen next.

I'm currently at 63% after more than 12 hours. I still have plenty to do but I'll probably finish it tomorrow and this makes me sad :'(

cormack12

Gold Member

There should be tools lying round (like a little handyman's toolbox). I didn't find my first set until the second workbench which probably means I may have missed an earlier bag

Ah, so I need to find the manual thing first. Thanks. So I dont need mechanics for it? Just want to know whether I can spend mechanics on my pistols or whether I should keep them for the shivs.

Yep, the tech sheets are like note collectibles but have a yellow circle round them.

Gacha-pin

Hey guys, bit of an odd question, but does anyone know how overseas versions of the game will be handled?

I live in Japan and am excited to pick up a physical copy this Thursday (with a nice price and some goodies). Just wondering if anyone happens to know how voice acting/subtitles/text is handled in Naughty Dog's games over here.

If anyone has any info/experience in this regard then it'd be a great boost. Thanks in advance.

If I remember correctly, you can choose both in game text, subtitle and audio freely. But SCEJ usually censors violence and gore in their games. If you care that kind of stuff, importing is a better option.

Ricker

You will find them later. It's something you upgrade by collection rather than a currency like the scrap you pick up to upgrade weapons.

Ah ok thanks,just wanted to make sure as I found it odd that at 35% completion I get to the first bench and I have none of those...

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Really dumb question but how to you quit back out of multiplayer without quitting back to the dashboard? Couldn't see any option to quit back to the menu/title screen.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Really dumb question but how to you quit back out of multiplayer without quitting back to the dashboard? Couldn't see any option to quit back to the menu/title screen.

I just did that... I think there's a quit to menu option somewhere

BRB

Press O when in the lobby

Forsete

This game is gorgeous.

Really liking it so far even though I initially thought it wasn't my type of game (survivor horror), but I like it a lot. :)

Top Bottom