• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

antitrop

I imagine Watch_Dogs is gonna be the new Ass Creed, which means the first one is gonna be repetitive out the ass, yet nice to look at.
Ya, I really can't handle another "Ubisoft Pointless Activities 2" game after Far Cry 3.

And Assassin's Creed 1 is my most hated AAA game of the generation and the most overrated game of the generation. It has an 81 on Metacritic, deserves somewhere around a 30-40.

I jump back and forth between thinking that Assassin's Creed or Skyrim is the most overrated game of the gen depending on what day of the week it is.

DukeBobby

I jump back and forth between thinking that Assassin's Creed or Skyrim is the most overrated game of the gen depending on what day of the week it is.

Mine will always be the first Dead Space. Judging by some of the reactions I've had from people before, it seems to be quite a controversial choice.

antitrop

I understand the case for Infamous 2, but I think The Last of Us is the perfect storm of early review embargo, game shipping to stores over a week early in some places, E3 week, Friday instead of Tuesday, and the general level of anticipation all add up to the "Worst Release Date Ever".

I may be biased, though, because I've never played any of the Infamous games and I couldn't possibly care less about them if I tried to.

iIGkIuK30SWhU.gif

Andrew.

Banned
I may be biased, though, because I've never played any of the Infamous games and I couldn't possibly care less about them if I tried to.

You aren't missing out on anything. I dont even know how Infamous 2's release date could be any sort of comparison to the clusterfuck release date Last of Us has.

And Duke, I've seen four or more people with that avatar on here. Go back to being grandpa.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
For anyone with a copy can you confirm multiple languages? I'm buying it in France or Germany and want to make sure I can play in English.

I actually don't really mind a release date that I have E3 to distract me from. One of the easiest waits for a game I'm looking forward to honestly.

A spoiler could have ruined it, but I haven't seen a single one and the game should be with me tomorrow.

antitrop

I actually don't really mind a release date that I have E3 to distract me from. One of the easiest waits for a game I'm looking forward to honestly.

A spoiler could have ruined it, but I haven't seen a single one and the game should be with me tomorrow.
The wait is made that much harder when people have been posting photos of the box in their hand all week long.

I doubt the anticipation of Infamous 2 was anywhere nearly this brutal...

Yeah the prices have crept up, haven't they? Can't fault the service though. I still use them for that reason.

Yeah, that's definitely a shame.

I have used Simply Games for the last two impulse preorders though and they've dispatched within a very short time. Fingers crossed I get it tomorrow.

Multiplayer - is there any real link to the story content or would I be fine giving that a quick spin before finishing the single player?

The wait is made that much harder when people have been posting photos of the box in their hand all week long.

I doubt the anticipation of Infamous 2 was anywhere nearly this brutal...

I won't argue with that. I rented the game at some point and didn't finish it. I'm hopeful for Second Son though.

Pachimari

Quickly tried it out on Survival and wow it's hard if you're not careful. A few punches or shots and your dead. They even counter your punches and then you have to do the same, and while I hit a guy with 2-3 punches, another one came and grabbed me, throwing me to the floor.

Still haven't had a chance of trying out multiplayer. :(

Yeah, that's definitely a shame.

I have used Simply Games for the last two impulse preorders though and they've dispatched within a very short time. Fingers crossed I get it tomorrow.

Multiplayer - is there any real link to the story content or would I be fine giving that a quick spin before finishing the single player?

Mine was despatched today from SimplyGames so It should be here tomorrow.

Quick

Banned
Quickly tried it out on Survival and wow it's hard if you're not careful. A few punches or shots and your dead. They even counter your punches and then you have to do the same, and while I hit a guy with 2-3 punches, another one came and grabbed me, throwing me to the floor.

Still haven't had a chance of trying out multiplayer. :(

I'm usually a wuss when it comes to difficulty modes in games, but this sounds intriguing to me. Might have to give it a shot.

Played about another hour or so. 2 hours and 47 mins now and 28% according to my save file. Once you hit the demo area the game starts to really let you create items, dangerous situations with the enemies, and the story just had a somewhat minor revelation. I feel the game has now just truly started from a gameplay aspect as before it was very linear, no creating items, not alot of enemies, and no fear. Fear has now kicked into high gear in some of these encounters and playing on hard I was stuck at a few for awhile. One thing I can say about the combat is that I'm so into it when melee-ing, I'm actually flinging my controller around as if I'm actually hitting the enemies with my controller movements... that says something about how into the melee combat I am cause I NEVER DO THAT.

More impressions to follow as I continue on.

antitrop

A little less than three hours in and you're basically 30% through? That's actually somewhat disappointing.
My Uncharted 2 save was 61% at 3 hours and 40 minutes. That was at like Chapter 10 of 28(?).

I don't think Naughty Dog calculates that percentage properly. Might have something to do with collectibles, or something. I don't think that percentage represents your completion of the storyline.

Whatever the case, I can definitely see a correlation between Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us not giving you entirely accurate completion percentages.

A little less than three hours in and you're basically 30% through? That's actually somewhat disappointing.

Yeah if most people are saying 15 to 20 hours, then 30% is between 4.5 to 6 hours. It must be collectibles.

Played about another hour or so. 2 hours and 47 mins now and 28% according to my save file. Once you hit the demo area the game starts to really let you create items, dangerous situations with the enemies, and the story just had a somewhat minor revelation. I feel the game has now just truly started from a gameplay aspect as before it was very linear, no creating items, not alot of enemies, and no fear. Fear has now kicked into high gear in some of these encounters and playing on hard I was stuck at a few for awhile. One thing I can say about the combat is that I'm so into it when melee-ing, I'm actually flinging my controller around as if I'm actually hitting the enemies with my controller movements... that says something about how into the melee combat I am cause I NEVER DO THAT.

More impressions to follow as I continue on.
So three hours to hit its stride? That really is a slow burn. I wonder if that's why all those negative impressions were like the AI is bad, areas are linear. They were judging the game by those early hours. I got no problem with linear areas, especially in the beginning while the story, characters, mechanics are being established. I've read enough stories, seen enough short clips, to know that the AI is awesome. And I love slow areas, being able to explorem take my time, and just soak in the atmosphere

DatDude

Banned
I'm at 25% in 2.5h.
What I find weird is the fact how brutal everyone is. Most of the times the situation is not that difficult yet you only have the possibility to kill everyone to continue.
It sort of suffers from the same problem as Naughty Dog's Uncharted.

You don't HAVE to kill everyone. YOu can completely sneak by enemy encounter situations if you choose so. Though there are some that you can't. But I know there are quite a few where you can completely skip if you stealth by.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
hold on man.. It could be like how the demo was downloaded

There was a 200MB file to download the demo from GoW:A.

The install happens when you use that file I bet.

Nope, you download a file and it says it's locked when you try and run it.

Yeah if most people are saying 15 to 20 hours, then 30% is between 4.5 to 6 hours. It must be collectibles.

So three hours to hit its stride? That really is a slow burn. I wonder if that's why all those negative impressions were like the AI is bad, areas are linear. They were judging the game by those early hours.

Yeah it seems the case so far. I think from a gameplay perspective from what I've played so far, the 10/10 isn't warranted... for a perfect score I either want to see genre defining gameplay, or the best of the best of it's type. I can't really speak for it either though since I have yet to beat it, but I'm more willing to bet the 10's are coming from the latter thought and not genre defining aspect. I'm still not convinced either wether the game deserves the 10's or not and don't think I will till I beat it. Though my thoughts on the intro and opening hours are as I stated. Great opening, slow to get into the meat of the game but still great. Now hoping things really just go forward more and more. Also my brain has literally argued with myself how real some of these character models look sometimes. They really hit it out of the park with the life like visuals and performance.

DatDude

Banned
Yeah it seems the case so far. I think from a gameplay perspective from what I've played so far, the 10/10 isn't warranted... for a perfect score I either want to see genre defining gameplay, or the best of the best of it's type. I can't really speak for it either though since I have yet to beat it, but I'm more willing to bet the 10's are coming from the latter thought and not genre defining aspect. I'm still not convinced either wether the game deserves the 10's or not and don't think I will till I beat it. Though my thoughts on the intro and opening hours are as I stated. Great opening, slow to get into the meat of the game but still great. Now hoping things really just go forward more and more. Also my brain has literally argued with myself how real some of these character models look sometimes. They really hit it out of the park with the life like visuals and performance.

I imagine the 10's are coming from the sheer breadth of the narrative, the writing, the incredible acting, and so on and so forth. What naughty dog does best.

You don't HAVE to kill everyone. YOu can completely sneak by enemy encounter situations if you choose so. Though there are some that you can't. But I know there are quite a few where you can completely skip if you stealth by.

Yep the last encounter with humans, I did just that. Killed like one dude, snuck by and away for the rest.

I imagine the 10's are coming from the sheer breadth of the narrative, the writing, the incredible acting, and so on and so forth. What naughty dog does best.

Yep and I will see that throughout the course of the game. Just need to play more. No doubt Naughty Dog is a beast when it comes to games.

newjeruse

Wow at the glowing TLoU writeup in Grantland:
Sony undoubtedly recognized from the start the hard uphill battle The Last of Us had in front of it, which means the game was probably intended as a prestige project done both for the good of the medium and to burnish studio and platform pride. Obviously, that's a somewhat cynical way of looking at things. Less cynical would be to say, "The Last of Us is a masterpiece. Thank you to everyone who made it. I hope now you can all take a rest and spend time with your families," and mean it.
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9366466/tom-bissell-naughty-dog-latest-game-last-us
That might reach more people than an IGN review. Good to see.

Edit: OK, it definitely won't reach as many people as IGN. But it will definitely reach a good amount of casuals.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I normally don't look at the time or stats while playing a game (good ones i.e), it tends to be a negative influence. Since the game is approx. 15 hrs long, screw the timer.

I normally don't look at the time or stats while playing a game (good ones i.e), it tends to be a negative influence. Since the game is approx. 15 hrs long, screw the timer.

Personally I don't care how long a game is, I'm just trying to give input since big expectations are being set in this thread and it's good to get some feedback from various people so we can a better overall idea.

Top Bottom