• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Seel

Neo Member
I finished the game , took around 16 hrs . excellent game but i enjoyed Uncharted 2 way more , this game has some tedious moments here and there that i dont feel to go through it again .

Ellie <3 .

Emwitus

Does the enemy AI seem clever and smart?

And how open are the environments? I saw part of the tutorial and it seems fairly big, not just corridors. When you're playing, do you feel like you could try different tactics or approach from various rooms?

I can't believe you were actually freaking out about getting spoiled whilst it seems your actively seeking to ruin the initial experience for yourself.

DBT85

Guys Yoshida has been at it again

HSN6bIQ.png

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Great!!

This game is so awesome....my god...I have no words to describe it
After the first 20 minutes it has a slow start (imo that's good!) but then...2 1/2 hours later...I can't stop playing. It reminds me of Res 4. The pacing ist just PERFECT.

Wow that sounds bad, bad in like the worst game ever made.

webkatt

I am really liking this game but it's the funny little things that get me. Like a shiv only lasts once, and how your ammo is artificially made scarce. I have a backpack and pockets and can't carry 8 more rounds....

LQaCYyj.jpg

I've gotta ask for those that beat it already. I don't think the game is AMAZING like some people are claiming from the first 3 hours or so. Damnnn good yes, but not AMAZING. Just wondering if the game builds upon itself and it becomes AMAZING, more so later. Or if others started with a overall good vibe at the start like myself for it to only later go full on HOLY SHIT. No spoilers of course.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Regarding easter eggs:

Anyone playing find any Nathan Drake/Uncharted easter eggs? there MUST be some. havent spotted any yet.

I've seen some board games in a toy shop of Uncharted. Some toy figures of Jak and Daxter in a kids bedroom.

There was also a plushy on the kids bed which did looked like Nathan Drake but it was hard to tell.

Angst

I finally caved and pre-ordered on Playstation Store. Now the wait until it unlocks and then downloads. Nnnnnggg...

I am really liking this game but it's the funny little things that get me. Like a shiv only lasts once, and how your ammo is artificially made scarce. I have a backpack and pockets and can't carry 8 more rounds....]

You can upgrade them, so they last longer.

I've gotta ask for those that beat it already. I don't think the game is AMAZING like some people are claiming from the first 3 hours or so. Damnnn good yes, but not AMAZING. Just wondering if the game builds upon itself and it becomes AMAZING, more so later. Or if others started with a overall good vibe at the start like myself for it to only later go full on HOLY SHIT. No spoilers of course.

Only 5 hours in, but if a game makes me consider skipping classes on the next day just so I can stay up and play longer, I know I'm playing an AMAZING game :p

GQman2121

Banned
Well Best Buy fucked me late last night with their Survival Edition listing. I was preordered with Amazon, but cancelled to take advantage of Best Buy's $20 gift card deal on preorders. They emailed me to let me know it was a mistake and that my order was cancelled. It's of course out of stock at Amazon now too.

Just all around shitty. Best Buy basically said oh well when I tried to follow up.

Never. Again.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(

The second half of the game shits all over the first half. It starts to really pick up at around the 7-8 hour mark.

Dynedom

Does the enemy AI seem clever and smart?

And how open are the environments? I saw part of the tutorial and it seems fairly big, not just corridors. When you're playing, do you feel like you could try different tactics or approach from various rooms?

The less I say on this, the better. What I revealed can probably be learned from the demo. Going into further detail may have some gameplay spoilers (as someone mentioned).

vladdamad

The second half of the game shits all over the first half. It starts to really pick up at around the 7-8 hour mark.

That's actually really reassuring, considering I felt Uncharted 2 had the opposite problem - the last third (monastery bits) were pretty poorly paced and overly long. Good to know that they managed to avoid that here

Well I don't want to sound like I dislike or even think the game is bad. Far from it. Just after the opening moments, the early start is very slow and some great stealth moments but nothing that wow'd me being a 10/10 rated game. Good to know things seem to progressvly get better. I know when games do that, I can totally appreciate it more so.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
That's actually really reassuring, considering I felt Uncharted 2 had the opposite problem - the last third (monastery bits) were pretty poorly paced and overly long. Good to know that they managed to avoid that here
Yeah, thankfully that doesn't happen. I forgot who said it but I agree that it feels like ND has been reading GAF since the Uncharted 2 thread and took the complaints to heart when creating this game.

Well I don't want to sound like I dislike or even think the game is bad. Far from it. Just after the opening moments, the early start is very slow and some great stealth moments but nothing that wow'd me being a 10/10 rated game. Good to know things seem to progressvly get better. I know when games do that, I can totally appreciate it more so.
By the very slow start, do you mean story or gameplay wise? If gameplay, consider trying different strategies to mix things up a little bit. Challenging yourself by going through levels without being spotted is a good example. The tension in those scenarios keeps you on the edge of your seat.

Is the game scary? Loved the Uncharted games but I hate walking around in fear all the time.
Yes, this game will freak you out in some parts. It's the tension and the anxiety mostly rather than cheap scares which are nonexistent.

By the very slow start, do you mean story or gameplay wise? If gameplay, consider trying different strategies to mix things up a little bit. Challenging yourself by going through levels without being spotted is a good example. The tension in those scenarios keeps you on the edge of your seat.

Well when I say gameplay I mean the fact that it's pretty much the same thing I've done in countless other stealth like games. Crouch, hide behind something, throw something to distract, and sneak up behind and subdue. That aspect alone just feels like any other stealth game, but perhaps my expectations with all the high reviews lead me to think it would somehow have a bit more to it. I can say the AI and infected enemies does make things a bit more chaotic, especially if you fuck up.

Never let that hype train get too fast before you jump in any game.

Go in with bad expectations and be plesently surprised

I learnt that the hard way with Gears 2

Never let that hype train get too fast before you jump in any game.

Go in with bad expectations and be plesently surprised

I learnt that the hard way with Gears 2

Totally understand that, just 10/10 rating across the board rarely happens. My expexctations are now in check. Should be good here on out.

Emwitus

How do you quantify something as relative as good to amazing for different people?

Pachimari

I agree after the initial opening the game is very slow to get going. It feels like the same thing over again in a "dull" world and not much going on. But then it hits you... Just wait, it gets better.

Yes, this game will freak you out in some parts. It's the tension and the anxiety mostly rather than cheap scares which are nonexistent.

oh yes... Not quite scare in the sense of Amnesia but you will walk around in fear! And it's good.

How much walk around in fear? No idea what Amnesia is but I'm too not that into the pure survival horror, which this game doesnt look like it soley is? Played the demo and well... yeah it did have some parts that were creepy, but I'm expecting it to be somewhat like Resident Evil Revelations?

This is pretty much the perfect pic to express my want for this game. I just wish it was time for bed so I could sleep and it would be one day closer... :(

Im just about to go to bed and when I wake up TLOU will either be on the floor in the hall or an hour or two away.

The Lamp

Talked to the GameStop guy while buying Animal Crossing and watched him nonchalantly pull out copies of The Last of Us to stuff in a cupboard till launch.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNGHHHHHHH

Is the game scary? Loved the Uncharted games but I hate walking around in fear all the time.

No, not so much but at some parts game keeps you on your toes.

Anyone playing this online?

Having had it for about a week I still haven't tried the online portion of the game.

Online will be open to play on release date as far as i know.

3 hours is nothing. It just builds the story, you learn about characters and their personalities, etc. It will be amazing soon, dont worry. Are you at "
Alone and Forsaken
" yet?

3 hours is nothing. It just builds the story, you learn about characters and their personalities, etc. It will be amazing soon, dont worry. Are you at "
Alone and Forsaken
" yet?

Well....let's just say...
someone just left my group in a sudden fashion
So not sure if that's the same thing your refering to or not.

Well....let's just say...
someone just left my group in a sudden fashion
So not sure if that's the same thing your refering to or not.

No, its not. Keep on playing. You are getting to the better parts of the game or lets say pacing will be going a bit higher from that point on.

And dont get me wrong.The game is actually not about some wow points or awesome set pieces. Its about the journey and you get to know characters and their motives more, the more you will enjoy the game. But still you will love the game more from that point on.

Top Bottom