• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Cheska

GUYS!I I managed to get my post-pandemic edition transferred from one Gamestop to another that will be holding a midnight launch. HURRAY! :D

Oppo

Goddammit

I'm so fucking annoyed. Why did I fall for this digital preorder bullshit. I never buy those. But somehow I thought this would be ok.

Just really poor form.

edit : 3 am. Eat a bag of fungal dicks, SCEA.

Just a heads up, on your first time playing there's a long loading screen wait, but it's much better when you load up the game a second time.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
From what I've read, is that it has a pretty solid 30 fps. Which from a console this old, seems like a damn blessing. Also, I wish Sony would let some of their games come to the PC. Seeing TLOU in 1080p with some cool mods, would blow my mind bone.

It is a pretty solid 30fps but it does noticeably dip every now and then, usually when moving the camera around quickly.

The resolution + filtering gets me more though. Every scene is so busy that you can see the game is pushing the PS3 pretty damn hard. Really god awful muddy textures at times, along with pop-in, until you get right up close.

That's not to say the game isn't gorgeous, but yeah. It desperately needs a higher resolution and, more than anything, decent texture filtering, because the asset work here is gorgeous and severely let down by the PS3's limitations.

Fjordson

Thanks for the impressions. I didn't have any expectations In regards to the game (I find ND games to be mechanically average) but the reviews got me hyped
I'm right there with you. Not a fan of Uncharted. But I'll say that this is a step up for ND I think. It isn't breaking any ground mechanically, but the style of the combat and the tense survival aspect of it is pretty interesting. Way more so than the Uncharted shooting galleries. At least to me.

antitrop

It is a pretty solid 30fps but it does noticeably dip every now and then, usually when moving the camera around quickly.

The resolution + filtering gets me more though. Every scene is so busy that you can see the game is pushing the PS3 pretty damn hard. Really god awful muddy textures at times, along with pop-in, until you get right up close.

That's not to say the game is gorgeous, but yeah. It desperately needs a higher resolution and, more than anything, decent texture filtering, because the asset work here is gorgeous and severely let down by the PS3's limitations.

8 year console generation.

Never again.

Oppo

It clearly says 12:01 pst. A few hours to go...
it didn't say that when I bought it. I thought it would respect midnight at my location. Being on the east coast and all.

Anyways point is, it's a huge download, so letting us at least START the thing at midnight would have been literally the very least they could do.

hlhbk

Goddammit

I'm so fucking annoyed. Why did I fall for this digital preorder bullshit. I never buy those. But somehow I thought this would be ok.

Just really poor form.

Why are you mad? Every time I have ever gotten a midnight digital preorder its always unlocked in the pacific time zone. Also per the link above it was known earlier this week it was pst time zone.

Fifty

I'm not going to say that it's the end of the world because I have to wait three hours, but I really hope that Sony has pre-loading for at least all of their major releases when it comes to day one digital releases. It's one thing to stay up late and play it, but if staying up late just leads to hours of downloading that could have been done earlier in the day it just seems needlessly frustrating.

They're already getting a much bigger profit margin by cutting out the middle man, it doesn't seem unreasonable to copy Steam in this regard next gen. Hell, if Asia PSN is already doing it I don't know what the hold up is right now.

Oppo

Why are you mad? Every time I have ever gotten a midnight digital preorder its always unlocked in the pacific time zone. Also per the link above it was known earlier this week it was pst time zone.

I didn't realize that. I looked pretty hard but I failed to see that point. Moreover I fail to see how this benefits anyone. At least a midnight EST release would let me start the download. As it is it will cost me a day, which would have made me just pick up the disc.

I won't do that again. This was the one time I trusted a PSN preorder and it's a pretty poor experience. This is a policy-inflicted error.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Here's the Redbox copy!

Figured since they get new releases on Tuesday it would be in the machine already, and become available when the date changed to 6/14

Your post encouraged me to go out to 3 redboxes!

Only to realize that I guess that I have to wait until midnight CST. Oh well, 20 more minutes!

I'm still about 18 hours out from being able to play this. :(

And that's if the forest fire cooperates. Work is going to be unbearable tomorrow for both reasons.

Didn't you say you had a copy of Children of Men that you haven't seen yet? I just watched it for the first time. My mind is fucking fried right now. You should watch that shit

I can't pick the game up until tomorrow afternoon sometime so I'm looking for some other movies to watch now

TEH-CJ

Banned
This is the most insane game ever. How are these visuals possible on the ps3?? how??

edit: wtf the multiplayer is fucking broken. wont let you join a friend in the lobby, you will just get kicked.

DatDude

Banned
I just went to my redbox by walgreens. IT'S FUCKIN FROZEN!! ARGHH

Will try the redbox's by meijers, and my super walmart.

Worst case scenario I'll ask an employee if they can one out for me.

I'll return it thankfully.

To anybody that is heading out for this game at Redbox, don't forget to text either Tomb or E3 to 727272 if you haven't already and you'll get a free nights game rental for each code.

antitrop

Didn't you say you had a copy of Children of Men that you haven't seen yet? I just watched it for the first time. My mind is fucking fried right now. You should watch that shit

I can't pick the game up until tomorrow afternoon sometime so I'm looking for some other movies to watch now
Too late in the evening, unfortunately. I have to work tomorrow morning, it would be past 1am when it's over.

I will probably watch it after I finish The Last of Us sometime this week, though.

DrBo42

Too late in the evening, unfortunately. I have to work tomorrow morning, it would be past 1am when it's over.

I will probably watch it after I finish The Last of Us sometime this week, though.

Do not watch that movie before you complete the game. Far too similar.

alterno69

Banned
Man tomorrow is gonna be awesome, i'll pick up my copy at 11 am and i'll play a couple of hours, then some work, then i pick up my son at school, i send him upstairs and play some more, the take him to his soccer game at 5 pm, have a client meeting at 7 and then off to see superman with my wife. So it's work, play, kids, play,soccer game, work, movie and probably sex to round up the day haha, perfect friday rigth there.

anddo0

Back from GS with my copy. I'm going to sleep though. I need fresh eyes to take all this in. I plan to do a 4-6 hour run first thing in the morning.

Goddammit

Just really poor form.

and then you have to wait for the fucking thing to download...fucking bullshit. At least I have a fast connection but still, I feel for those who don't they won't be able to play the game tonight.

Top Bottom