• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Remnant |OT| of DON'T LISTEN TO REVIEWERS!

ethelred

Krelian said:
Is anybody still playing and enjoying this game? I read many negative comments lately.

I haven't been playing it since I finished the game, but I thoroughly enjoyed it up until the end.

Zalasta said:
Eh, not so much. Last Remnant is a one trick pony. Very limiting as a RPG and hardly customizable. It's almost like the antithesis of what makes a good game in the genre.

It's got a ton of options within battle and battle setup, and it has a very flexible character development system. I don't see the game as either limiting or lacking in customization (between the character setups, squad formations, the multitude of arts and spells and skill types, and so on). And I very much consider it a great game within the genre rather than the antithesis of that.

Zalasta said:
That is exactly the one I missed. I would have chosen Roberto's side every time, but I thought maybe switching to Ophelia would unlock something for me. Instead, it was the wrong choice to make. So yeah, terrible design as I would never restart or play through this game twice.

If you pick one set of answers, you get an optional character. If you pick the other set of answers, you get an optional quest. Having something missable in a game you choose not to replay does not equal terrible design, sorry!

Fistwell said:
That last fight was pretty intense btw.

Quite a few fights in the game were very intense and extremely memorable. It did a great job with some of the set piece battles.

I finished this last night and yeah the last fight was pretty damn intense for me.

Overall I enjoyed it but it is not without it's flaws. Most of them just stem from the way the game takes the control out of your hands. In the last fight for example I kept losing unions but half the time when I select to bring some one back they would run straight back to the stupid summon who was useless and would die in the next turn anyway. There really should have been an extra targeting option when you pick actions such as 'heal allies'.

The rethink was pretty cool but spotty at times. I had one leader who could do the Medical Heal and bring parties back to full health easily and for a good half of the game she would rethink and use it after reviving unions. But for some damn reason she didn't do it AT ALL in the last dungeon. Not even once.

WalkMan

Banned
What I'm concerned with is learning the black-out skills. I just started the second disc and I don't have any yet, should I be concerned? I'm around battle-rank 70

WalkMan said:
What I'm concerned with is learning the black-out skills. I just started the second disc and I don't have any yet, should I be concerned? I'm around battle-rank 70

It's pretty useful. I just know it has something to do with your union having a bunch of mystic skills and using them at the same time.

I never got white-out but I did have black out to lvl 4

That was another complaint though. Quite often black-out would activate in a boss battle when I didn't want it to. Instead of my union doing a bunch of high lvl mystic arts and hitting the boss for 20k+ damage I got stuck with hitting with 8k damage. This happened a good 10-20 times throughout the end of the game :(

Ricker

Still playing it but i'm about to uninstall this from HDD soon...I'm battle rank 71 and I don't feel like grinding that much anymore...I have a few quests left that I'm stuck on,a new town I won't spoil that has at least 3 people with red bubble chat but I get no quest out of them and I'm at the dreafully,annoying,hard 6 Base battles...

I managed the first 2 battles,not after dying on my first try and having to redo the initial trash mob fight that takes a good 15 minutes and runs you right into the Boss fight,without a save,but yesterday,I tried the 3rd fight and got destroyed in like 5 minutes...I have 4 Unions,2 of 5 and 2 of 4 Units,over 3,000 HP on 2 Unions,some healing and revive stuff on all of them but I have to face 6 Unions,with mages that have spells of level V or VI,that damages 2 to 3 Unions at a time...and that's just the third fight out of 6...I probably have to redo my Unions,recheck the formations,upgrade some weapons and try and figure out my accessories a little better...speaking of accessories,why is there a little red arrow pointing down all the time at the HP line in the first panel,when it says 10% up in the one below it???....and I still can't get the quest with Glenys to work and the Darien quest seems to be in a dead end as well.

Those who finished this game,what battle rank where you at?

Krelian

I'm currently at the bases too. The first two were no problems, the third caught me off guard. This Galaxy II spell was unexpected, as well as all those mages, but I still managed to beat that base. The fourth base was easier in comparison. Haven't tried the fifth yet.

None of the base battles lasted really long, though. I'm battle rank 82 now, I started the bases with 80 or so. I also have four unions, two with five units and two with four. My union's HP are ~4600, ~4100, ~2400 and ~2600.

zoku88

Prime crotch said:
For anyone who cares, Square has set the PC version release for Spring. Let's hope Square will show R* and Volition how to do a port.
Seeing as impressions seem to be good, I'll probably get it then.

Let's see how long I can last with a supposedly underwhelming story be excellent battle system.

desverger

I recently started playing this, but some of the elements in the game are really confusing and they don't quite explain them to you either. I was wondering if any of you could help with my noob questions:

-How does the character upgrading work? I noticed sometimes characters take items after battles but can you, say, give them those same items from your inventory?
-Regarding items, what sort of items I should keep and what I should sell? There's breed components, customization components, items used in arts and plain items that don't seen to go in any category
-If I started learning 1h/shield style arts, do I still get to learn 2h skills?
-Is there any way to force those damn shamans heal (cast Restore) instead of using herbs, or is there some other component they need to cast that? Last night I ran out of herbs and wiped because I couldn't select a heal option from the menu anymore
-Is there a way to disengage an union from a deadlock? Lets say I'm fighting a rare and don't want my healer group to get spanked all the time? I'm guessing this is a no, just wondering if there's a way to do it later
-What do all those accessories do? Do they just give static boosts or do they actually affect the stats Rush gets while leveling up?

If anyone has time to answer these questions, thanks!

Zalasta

ethelred said:
If you pick one set of answers, you get an optional character. If you pick the other set of answers, you get an optional quest. Having something missable in a game you choose not to replay does not equal terrible design, sorry!

Hmmm, it is a game design choice and it is something I consider to be terrible. Whether I replay or not isn't the point. It's fine if you hold a different opinion, but who are you to say I'm wrong?

ethelred said:
It's got a ton of options within battle and battle setup, and it has a very flexible character development system. I don't see the game as either limiting or lacking in customization (between the character setups, squad formations, the multitude of arts and spells and skill types, and so on). And I very much consider it a great game within the genre rather than the antithesis of that.

Not really. Battle options follow some kind of formula between your formation choice, who your leader is, whether or not you're locked in and probably some other elements, but just exactly what they are, well, I have no clue. Even so, majority of the times your choices are fixed.

Customization isn't the same as varieties. There are plenty of stuff to acquire in the game, but the fact is you can only equip one person, learning and utilizing skills is seemingly random, you can't dictate class change either. So yes, I am limited in how I can customize my characters. How about items? Weapons creation? Terrible system that are tacked on as a mere afterthought and don't serve any real useful purpose. The only interesting thing is the battle system, and that's where the one-trick pony comment comes in.

Aaron

desverger said:
I recently started playing this, but some of the elements in the game are really confusing and they don't quite explain them to you either. I was wondering if any of you could help with my noob questions:

-How does the character upgrading work? I noticed sometimes characters take items after battles but can you, say, give them those same items from your inventory?
If it's a component, they'll just take it from your inventory. If it's an item, they'll ask for it.

-Regarding items, what sort of items I should keep and what I should sell? There's breed components, customization components, items used in arts and plain items that don't seen to go in any category
Money is easy to come by, but feel free to sell anything that doesn't seem useful.

-If I started learning 1h/shield style arts, do I still get to learn 2h skills?
You need to equip two weapons to learn such skills. Do normal attacks with them and you'll get special skills before long.

-Is there any way to force those damn shamans heal (cast Restore) instead of using herbs, or is there some other component they need to cast that? Last night I ran out of herbs and wiped because I couldn't select a heal option from the menu anymore
There are a number of healer types. Make sure you have magic healers. They can't revive until late in the game, but they don't use items to heal.

-Is there a way to disengage an union from a deadlock? Lets say I'm fighting a rare and don't want my healer group to get spanked all the time? I'm guessing this is a no, just wondering if there's a way to do it later
Yes you can. The best way is to have them disengage, usually by self healing, and send another group into attack so they don't get raidlocked.

-What do all those accessories do? Do they just give static boosts or do they actually affect the stats Rush gets while leveling up?
They're static boosts. What stats Rush gets when leveling depends on what he does in battle.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Zalasta said:
Hmmm, it is a game design choice and it is something I consider to be terrible. Whether I replay or not isn't the point. It's fine if you hold a different opinion, but who are you to say I'm wrong?
He's ethelred, clearly.

Aaron

Zalasta said:
Customization isn't the same as varieties. There are plenty of stuff to acquire in the game, but the fact is you can only equip one person, learning and utilizing skills is seemingly random, you can't dictate class change either. So yes, I am limited in how I can customize my characters. How about items? Weapons creation? Terrible system that are tacked on as a mere afterthought and don't serve any real useful purpose. The only interesting thing is the battle system, and that's where the one-trick pony comment comes in.
You customize by choosing what characters to bring into battle from many possible configurations, all with different abilities, stats, and weapons. There's great variety in how you turn that army into formations, influencing how you approach combat. That's more customization than most JRPGs offer.

desverger

Aaron said:

Much appreciated, thank you! Sounds like I need to make one union with just magic healers, as it seems like units that rank "higher" in a formation get precedence over AP usage. I've been having David to lead my 2nd union, but he uses herbs to heal.

Also it sounds like it's a good idea to have at least one healer-able character in an union, so you can disengage them.

Aaron

desverger said:
Much appreciated, thank you! Sounds like I need to make one union with just magic healers, as it seems like units that rank "higher" in a formation get precedence over AP usage. I've been having David to lead my 2nd union, but he uses herbs to heal.

Also it sounds like it's a good idea to have at least one healer-able character in an union, so you can disengage them.
You should have two, one herb healer and one magic healer. This way they can both revive and heal fallen unions in one action. That's why it's a good idea to recruit soldiers with more than one ability set.

Zzoram

Prime crotch said:
For anyone who cares, Square has set the PC version release for Spring. Let's hope Square will show R* and Volition how to do a port.

If done properly, the PC version should fix all the technical issues in this game. Having a smooth framerate and shorter load times will probably make it a lot better.

ethelred

Zalasta said:

I'm the one saying you're wrong.

desverger

Something interesting happened last night, I had Rush use a 2h weapon for a while (some shoddy club I picked from somewhere) until he learned Smash, the first power grip style art. Anyway, after changing his weapon back to 1h (no shield mind you), he was using both skills in battle. He even learned Smash II and Mighty Blue Streak II while doing so, so apparently he's learning both of them! Rush is really growing to be a damn powerhouse.

Also I grew a little bored to the regular leaders and recruited that ranger girl with the huge hammer and a dual-wielding axe chick (forgot their names). The ranger works awesome, she doesn't have a recovery skill and I have a load of shamans in her union, which means they get to do the healing every time. One of the shamans learned Restore IV already! Also this union has less hp than my damage dealing union, so all the monsters usually go and hit that one while I just keep healing and Rush keeps whacking everything to dust.

My sorry band of adventurers is growing with power steadily, I should probably do the main quest line a little too so I could put more leaders in my unions :p

The game is really growing to me too, so much I had to stay up and play it through the night even though I have work today :lol

Zalasta

Aaron said:
You customize by choosing what characters to bring into battle from many possible configurations, all with different abilities, stats, and weapons. There's great variety in how you turn that army into formations, influencing how you approach combat. That's more customization than most JRPGs offer.

I know you can customize your unions, it is the meat of the gameplay after all. My gripes are character customization, which I'm pretty sure I've made it clear. Whatever, even Ogre Battle's army micromanagement was funner than the Last Remnant.

Finished it, got rid of it and never want to play it again. I appreciate the ideas in this game, but the execution is just lackluster. Too many good titles out there to be wasting any more time than necessary on this one!

I missed the Hatred's End Quest because I chose the first option after the first Melphina quest. And now apparently I can't get the two secret achievements worth 400 points even though I've done every other quest. This is a fucking retarded design decision. I normally don't care much about achievements, but I'd like something to show for all the time I spent doing all these stupid quests.

Just finished this game. I really enjoyed it and loved it. Did I mention this has the best RPG music ever? Looking forward to the sequel if it ever happens.

Basileus777 said:
I missed the Hatred's End Quest because I chose the first option after the first Melphina quest. And now apparently I can't get the two secret achievements worth 400 points even though I've done every other quest. This is a fucking retarded design decision. I normally don't care much about achievements, but I'd like something to show for all the time I spent doing all these stupid quests.
There's a few missable quests, I'm on my 2nd play through now and I see how many I've missed on my first go. Doing everything on disk 1 took awhile, I'm at the six bases now.

Do you have to talk to the chairman of Ghor between each base, I read that somewhere but between 1 and 2 he's said the same thing. It's not like he has a red dialog box over his head either.

SimpleDesign said:
There's a few missable quests, I'm on my 2nd play through now and I see how many I've missed on my first go. Doing everything on disk 1 took awhile, I'm at the six bases now.

Do you have to talk to the chairman of Ghor between each base, I read that somewhere but between 1 and 2 he's said the same thing. It's not like he has a red dialog box over his head either.

You have to him between each base to unlock a quest. I don't think is so bad because he at least tells you to talk to him. There's absolutely no indication that selecting the wrong dialogue choice in the Melphina quest line has any consequences.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
My Lightning Deal of the Day $30 copy from Amazon arrived today. I haven't really followed the game at all, since I intended to pick it up on PC later. Still might.

All I read was the blistering IGN review. Utterly DESTROYED the game. And no, not because I put any stock in IGN's reviews, but because I use their database to record my game collection, so I thought I'd just go ahead and click it.

What's the REAL consensus?

Haunted

Prime crotch said:
Excellent news!

Let's hope, indeed. I actually don't put too much stock into S-E's PC porting ability, but here's hoping it'll be well optimised and fixers some of the technical complaints I've been hearing about.

Mejilan said:
All I read was the blistering IGN review. Utterly DESTROYED the game.

*looks at thread title*

SimpleDesign said:
I know, but did the dialog change each time you talked to him after finishing a base?

Yeah, he said something different after every other base. That's odd if he's repeating the same thing. Are you doing the bases in order?

Basileus777 said:
Yeah, he said something different after every other base. That's odd if he's repeating the same thing. Are you doing the bases in order?
I've only done 1 and 2 so far, so maybe after 3 it'll change if it's every other base.

Mejilan said:
My Lightning Deal of the Day $30 copy from Amazon arrived today. I haven't really followed the game at all, since I intended to pick it up on PC later. Still might.

All I read was the blistering IGN review. Utterly DESTROYED the game. And no, not because I put any stock in IGN's reviews, but because I use their database to record my game collection, so I thought I'd just go ahead and click it.

If my opinion means anything, I'm enjoying it, althougt the're are some flaws in the game design and in the graphics, it's a solid RPG with a awesome battle system.

If you don't trust my opinion, you can trust ethelred and RK, right? :lol

Mejilan said:

I'd say that the consensus is that the game has some game awful technical flaws and isn't worth playing if you don't install the game. When installed the technical flaws aren't all that bad and the game has a fun and addicting battle system. The story isn't anything special, but it isn't painfully bad either. If you enjoy the battle system (which is kind of like a Saga/Ogre Battle hybrid) the game is worthwhile. But there's a lot of fighting in the game, so if the battle system doesn't click with you, you're going to hate the game.

dekjo

Mejilan said:

Some like it, some don't. Glib, sorry. But it's like most games. It fits some tastes, not others. I'm not going to ask what you look for in a game, cause honestly, this isn't what I was looking for in a jrpg but I ended up liking it to a great degree.

For more details, I'll reiterate what others have said, the game poorly explains the nuances of gameplay. I rented, so didn't have the manual to lean on and don't know how much that helps, but from my experience, there's a real lack of transparency in the battle system and leveling up that can be really frustrating to gamers. But if you get to the point that you gain a good understanding of those ins and outs, it becomes a much more enjoyable and tactical.

My thoughts are, ultimately if you have the time to give it a try for a few nights, do so. If after 10-12 hours, it isn't tugging at you, it isn't going to change much and to move on.

Mejilan

Hmmm, I've got a launch pro, so that makes installs tricky, at best.
I've been contemplating picking up a new system once the Jaspers become more widespread. I guess I'll wait till then. Thanks.

PusherT

I'm on disc 2 but my battle rank is only about 54. I wanna make my rush learn hexas but I see no way to make get that kind of magic.

- How come Emmy Honywell 2nd has a a Unique Art " Hundred Flowers" while ther other 3 generals Pagus,Bloctor and Torgal do not?

-How does the game decide which "Unique Art" the character preform ? Sometimes David will do "Ex machina" or he will do my favorite "Gae Blog" same goes for Rush's art?

- Is that pendent on Rush's neck a rememnt?

- So does each Lord/Marquie of the Lands have 2 rememnets entitles to them? You know how David has the Gae Blog and Valeria Heart.

-Was Duke Wilfrd Hermian binded to that huge Gawyn Rememnet?

-What is you highest battle chain? Mine was 299

-Were in the game can I access the DLC?

-Has any one else here defeated the Ancient Dragon in the quest "Rainbow Bond"?

Tabris

Most annoying thing in the game = My Rush character is fucking badass melee and has a Hawkarang and some Katana. He does like some triple hit move (maybe third eye? or something like that) IV for like 15k dmg himself. The really annoying thing is instead of giving me the option to DESTROY with Rush it gives me options like "Attack, Bluff, Spark III or Defend". Most useless options ever. So the solution is to make someone else union leader but then I don't get the option for Rush to do combat arts either.

I wish you could disable Rush's arts... or anyone's arts for that matter.

This game just continuely gets more frustrating the more you play it.

desverger

Tabris said:
Most annoying thing in the game = My Rush character is fucking badass melee and has a Hawkarang and some Katana. He does like some triple hit move (maybe third eye? or something like that) IV for like 15k dmg himself. The really annoying thing is instead of giving me the option to DESTROY with Rush it gives me options like "Attack, Bluff, Spark III or Defend". Most useless options ever. So the solution is to make someone else union leader but then I don't get the option for Rush to do combat arts either.

So you have Rush as a leader in union but the game doesn't allow you to use a certain art? Have you checked how much AP it costs? If you have enough AP for one move that the leader can do, the rule of the thumb is that you can pull it off. Arts for the other union members aren't really guaranteed. It might be you need to use plain Attack command first to gain some AP, dunno.

I found some badass accessory which gives me +15% initial AP, so that means Rush can usually pull off quite damaging moves in the start.

Someone asked what's the REAL consensus.. well, I would say my biggest problem with the game was that while it doesn't take control away from you, it gives you certain parameters which you need to fulfill in order to maintain control. Having an union to do what you want - can be both frustrating when you can't and rewarding when you can :p

Once you work out the game's kinks it's a quite enjoyable package. At least on disc 1, I haven't got further than that yet since I keep slogging through the side quests.

dekjo said:
For more details, I'll reiterate what others have said, the game poorly explains the nuances of gameplay. I rented, so didn't have the manual to lean on and don't know how much that helps, but from my experience, there's a real lack of transparency in the battle system and leveling up that can be really frustrating to gamers. But if you get to the point that you gain a good understanding of those ins and outs, it becomes a much more enjoyable and tactical.

Exactly. I'm gonna tell you, the manual doesn't help much :lol

I have no idea from half of the classes, mostly I'm just experimeting (oh, Monk leader gives you a defend option!), I have no idea if I'm playing the game "right", but still, figuring things out on the way isn't half bad :p

Aaron

Tabris said:

If it's a melee option, stack his group with melee fighters. Also check the AP cost as another said. The formation can sometimes affect your options, as some are geared more for melee and others for magic.

Has anyone noticed that Sandy from the Guild does insane damage? I countered an attack with her and it took off over 35,000 off an enemy. She is awesome. Anyway, I plan on going through this again to get to know some other characters a little better. Yes, this game has some flaws, but this is one of the reasons I don't particularly listen to everything reviewers way.

DodgerSan

PusherT said:
I'm on disc 2 but my battle rank is only about 54. I wanna make my rush learn hexas but I see no way to make get that kind of magic.

- How come Emmy Honywell 2nd has a a Unique Art " Hundred Flowers" while ther other 3 generals Pagus,Bloctor and Torgal do not?

As she comes in late, maybe it's meant as an equaliser.

-How does the game decide which "Unique Art" the character preform ? Sometimes David will do "Ex machina" or he will do my favorite "Gae Blog" same goes for Rush's art?

(Gae Blog? Lol!) I wish I knew what triggered them.

- Is that pendent on Rush's neck a rememnt?

IIRC
it's said a couple of times that it is.

-What is you highest battle chain? Mine was 299

Well over 400.

-Were in the game can I access the DLC?

The Ancient Ruins is at the end of Siebenbur(sp?) 2nd Path. You have to talk to "Knowledgeable Yama" in (Athlum I think, near the Guild) to open it.

-Has any one else here defeated the Ancient Dragon in the quest "Rainbow Bond"?

Yup :)

If you're struggling with the Dragon, you may just need to get your BR up a bit. I don't recall it being much of a problem.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Rhazer Fusion said:
Has anyone noticed that Sandy from the Guild does insane damage? I countered an attack with her and it took off over 35,000 off an enemy. She is awesome. Anyway, I plan on going through thsi again to get to know some other characters a little better. Yes, this game has some flaws, but this is one of the reasons I don't particularly listen to everything reviewers way.
whos Sandy

there too many overpowered leaders

Kazenone

Jonsoncao said:
whos Sandy

there too many overpowered leaders

You can recruit Sandy from Celapaleis, and she is such a good leader - I have her using a lot of Combat Arts and she's extremely powerful.

Tabris

If anyone here is starting to play the game.

Avoid leveling up as much as possible. Basically stat growth is highest when fighting monsters that are classified much stronger than your current BR.

If you are BR 75+ and all your unions have less than 4k HP it's guaranteed you can't get 200 achievements points minimum, possibly 400 points total. I'm going to have a tough time personally as my BR is 80 and I got only about 5k HP per union.

desverger

Speaking of hired leaders, I just recently completed the quest chain that allows me to hire Violet.. and I'm not sure what to make of her. Sure, she decks in at 16k which would make me assume she's good, but.. In the start she has her awesome Double Strike which she always wants to use (hits for friggin' 450), and Restore.

Should I keep her around and try to grow her, or just forger her? What kind of union should I place her in, a melee heavy or a caster heavy?

Ricker

Tabris said:

Avoid leveling up as much as possible. Basically stat growth is highest when fighting monsters that are classified much stronger than your current BR.

If you are BR 75+ and all your unions have less than 4k HP it's guaranteed you can't get 200 achievements points minimum, possibly 400 points total. I'm going to have a tough time personally as my BR is 80 and I got only about 5k HP per union.

Been playing this game since it came out,a little less in the last month but i'm still grinding away until i will be able to beat the 6 Bases(Bosses are awesome there but hard)and I have no idea what you mean...please explain =)

Aaron

desverger said:
Speaking of hired leaders, I just recently completed the quest chain that allows me to hire Violet.. and I'm not sure what to make of her. Sure, she decks in at 16k which would make me assume she's good, but.. In the start she has her awesome Double Strike which she always wants to use (hits for friggin' 450), and Restore.

Should I keep her around and try to grow her, or just forger her? What kind of union should I place her in, a melee heavy or a caster heavy?
She'll gain new ability groups if you keep her in battle. She does decent damage and is a good healer, so I'll stick her with melee.

Tabris

Ricker said:
Been playing this game since it came out,a little less in the last month but i'm still grinding away until i will be able to beat the 6 Bases(Bosses are awesome there but hard)and I have no idea what you mean...please explain =)

BR =/= Good statistics

BR = What "level" you are compared to the enemy

Good statistics = Fighting mobs higher than your BR expects (i.e. grinding demons and giants at BR 70 in Ancient Ruins).

I didn't realize this until BR 75 but luckily I avoided a lot of regular enemies. Fighting normal enemies during quests/story = worst thing for you to do in this game.

Mejilan

Tabris said:

Wait, so this game is basically exceedingly combat-heavy, from what I've read, but basically penalizes you for over-leveling? *desire for game deflates*

^ That really isn't true though, mostly melodrama and angst towards the BR system if anything. People just came up with this bullshit hypothesis that you can't fully complete the game unless you follow some kind of grinding scheme. :lol

You can get through the game just fine by playing normally. The only way you can really screw yourself over is if you spend a lot of time grinding on the first disc, but that only makes it harder to raise your stats later. Sure, there is an optimal way to raise your stats, but it isn't the only way and none of the bosses are impossible to defeat if you don't use the optimal method.

Top Bottom