• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did say I was going to wait until after the hype died down and a more balanced user impressions came though but damn I'm going to have to pick up a cheap Wii U sooner rather than later.

vaderise

Yeah it will but why are people still comparing both games? Is this some consolewars stuff I just don't seem to understand?
Nope it actually preety sad that Zelda won't get attention it deserves. What it deserves it GTA- Minecraft level sales, with appreciation from the whole gaming community.
Oh and comparisions are inevitable. They're both open world action-adventure games that come out in the same week.

Chaos17

Are we witnessing history?

C56OAKvXQAAVU49.jpg

From Metacritic, credit Nibel for screenshot

dcdobson

A Link to the Past was one of the first games I ever finished and is still my favorite game of all time. I'm literally on the verge of tears hearing how amazing this game appears to be. Can't wait!

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
A decent portion of the high 90 scores and 100 scores are the highest ratings those websites have ever given a game.

Ocarina of Time is my favorite video game of all time. Many reviewers are saying this is better.

My heart can't take this. Am I witnessing history right now?

Edit:
34, been playing games since the Atari.

Previous all-time favorites (abridged):
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Final Fantasy VI
  • Super Metroid
  • Super Mario World
  • The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • Metroid Prime

BotW might be better than all of these games.

Thanks, I'm dead. Didn't even get a chance to play it.

Mantorok

I really need to read one of these reviews because so far all I'm hearing about is how open-world it is, yet I've heard nothing about the core story yet, which, whilst the free-roaming is great, Zelda always had a solid storyline going on too.

ubiblu

Breath of the Wild is pretty much confirmed to be the best video game of the last 20 years.

Nintendo magic is back.

Celine

So it seems that anything lower than 10 for Breath of Wild is the new 8.7 lol

Ocarina of Time is my favorite video game of all time. Many reviewers are saying this is better.

My heart can't take this. Am I witnessing history right now?
You are witnessing history but it depend on you how much you will like it.
There will surely be people that won't like the game that much even if Breath of Wild average score will be close to 100.

From Trusted Reviews:

For example, the most iconic weapon possibly in all of gaming, the Master Sword, is hidden deep within part of the world and at no point does the game tell you how to get it. I decided around halfway through the game to go and search for it, having studied the map and having a hunch it was found in a particular area. The nearly two-hour journey of solving puzzles and reading the map to finally see Link standing in front of the plinth housing the Master Sword was one of the most memorable gaming experiences I’ve ever had, simply because I learned how to find it on my own.

Not story-related.

This is what I've wanted for a long time.

Fully Erected

Seesaw15

I'm excited! Haven't had the chance to play a Zelda game since Oracle of seasons in 2001. Looks like I'm picking up a switch this Christmas.

Hey, OP, could you please indicate which reviews are spoilerish in your OP? With that I mean reviews that show stuff that hasn't been shown in the previews. Probably most of them I guess but still...

Nope it actually preety sad that Zelda won't get attention it deserves. What it deserves it GTA- Minecraft level sales, with appreciation from the whole gaming community.
Oh and comparisions are inevitable. They're both open world action-adventure games that come out in the same week.

What are you talking about? This franchise is one of the most famous ever, it's appreciated and discussed a lot, even when it's not that much of a seller.

ViciousDS

Banned
I kind of feel bad for guerilla. They are given the go ahead to make a new style of game. They deliver fantastically for a first try an amazing open world game and it's got a stunning story, amazing gameplay and stellar visuals.

And it gets drowned out by a GotG 3 days later.

The truly worst part is........should I finish horizon.......or start Zelda, a game that I've waited a long long time for.

Shit

That Easy Allies review is really really good.

The difference between reviews and their on site content is so funny to me. They talk about games like they are the gift of gods and they only exist to worship video games and then they put out fair reviews. 4/5 it's alright.

Anteo

Is posting my own in here to be added OK? If so, mine for Zam:

http://www.zam.com/article/1365/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-review

I knew it it sucks.

Not really but I actually dont like open worlds that much and even in both xenoblade games where it was sometimes fun to explore the world, it wasnt enough for me to explore everything and thats why I found X kind of boring at times. Just like you said some people like to explore worlds just because its there, but thats not for me.

Im most likely gonna have a similar experience to yours, maybe nots as negative but still bad.

From Trusted Reviews:

For example, the most iconic weapon possibly in all of gaming, the Master Sword, is hidden deep within part of the world and at no point does the game tell you how to get it. I decided around halfway through the game to go and search for it, having studied the map and having a hunch it was found in a particular area. The nearly two-hour journey of solving puzzles and reading the map to finally see Link standing in front of the plinth housing the Master Sword was one of the most memorable gaming experiences I’ve ever had, simply because I learned how to find it on my own.

Not story-related.

This is what I've wanted for a long time.

damn this is dope as fuck

Gurish

So basically going by the cons I've read if the game was on a more powerful hardware it would have been a perfect 10, only complaints are about the visuals and fps, so the game itself is basically perfect, insane.

I like your phrasing here in the bold. Those of us that have been around this long know that when you get up to the best games ever created, the list changes often, changes order often, and becomes a heaven of highs regardless of the titles to which we personally become attached. Thanks for the feedback.

I could not be more excited.
Yes, it's an inexact science for sure. Superlatives are easy to fall prey to... my fellow podcast pals took me to task about this on our two-hour Zeldacast that we just finished publishing also!

http://flapjawspace.com/FlapJawSpace.xml

I'm a bit out of the loop regarding the game's language settings: is it possible to change the VO to Spanish, but keep the subtitles in English?

Missed this. I don't think so? BOTW doesn't have voice options, the game just uses the Voice over and subs of whatever region you have the system set to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom