• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really need to read one of these reviews because so far all I'm hearing about is how open-world it is, yet I've heard nothing about the core story yet, which, whilst the free-roaming is great, Zelda always had a solid storyline going on too.

Far as I know the very first quest you get is
'Defeat Ganon'
so I assume that is the story???

Kouriozan

History in the making.

tCMqSj9.jpg

Peltz

I kind of feel bad for guerilla. They are given the go ahead to make a new style of game. They deliver fantastically for a first try an amazing open world game and it's got a stunning story, amazing gameplay and stellar visuals.

And it gets drowned out by a GotG 3 days later.

The truly worst part is........should I finish horizon.......or start Zelda, a game that I've waited a long long time for.

Shit

It's still a great game that I will pick up.
After Zelda.

I wonder which game in 2017 will have the chance (or not) of dethroning BoTW as the highest scoring game of the year?

Nothing. Not even Mario.

Realeza

Banned
It has to be taking into consideration that these reviews, in today's world, are absolutely ridiculous. Reviewers have become fucking harsher since the end of last gen, and seeing such unanimous praise is really, really impressive.

Chaos17

I kind of feel bad for guerilla. They are given the go ahead to make a new style of game. They deliver fantastically for a first try an amazing open world game and it's got a stunning story, amazing gameplay and stellar visuals.

The truly worst part is........should I finish horizon.......or start Zelda, a game that I've waited a long long time for.

Shit

Hoizon is a good game, you know it, we know it :)
You should finish it.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I'm glad that technical issues are the biggest drawback, I'm not too bothered by that sort of thing.

psychotron

The scores aren't surprising me, but the content of the reviews is genuinely shocking. They're saying it's the best game Nintendo has ever made? That's crazy! I was seriously going to not pick up my Switch on Friday. Now, I might reconsider.

Outrun

Wow.

Those reviews.

Remember when everyone used to talk about a system having a killer app?

Well, it looks like the Switch has one already.

Lol, they didn't even give it a perfect score.

The hyperbole is real.

That quote is misleading. Lucas Thomas from Nintendo Force is the one who said it. He was a guest on their preview video. Andre (the reviewer) didn't gush nearly as much during the preview.

Shredderi

That GTA IV score is deplorable.

Yes it is. It's also one of the reasons I have a hard time buying into the 95+ hype. I mean it could be one of the best games of all time, and I'll be elated if that ends up being true, but after some disappointments with games that were EXTREMELY well reviewed I always take a cautious stance until the dust has settled, so to speak. If even after that hype period the game seems like what it was hyped up to be, I'll take a closer look at my finances and plan accordingly to maybe purchase the newest nintendo console so I too can experience the wonder of the aforementioned game.

Even though I've played some incredible games since OoT (including many from Nintendo) I don't think I've ever had that same 'magic' experience that I had when I first played Ocarina. That people are even putting BotW higher than OoT.... I just don't know how.... I was going to wait until Christmas to get a switch.... how can I wait now?

jmaine_ph

Shit

While they made a great game this will only motivate them to make their own GoTG with the next installment. This competition is what you want. I'm excited.

Shit

They seem to scratch a very, very similar similar itch. I'm gonna finish Horizon first, cool off for about a week then start Zelda

Shit

Why feel bad? Zelda fans and PS4 owners don't intersect so much.

Yes it is. It's also one of the reasons I have a hard time buying into the 95+ hype. I mean it could be one of the best games of all time, and I'll be elated if that ends up being true, but after some disappointments with games that were EXTREMELY well reviewed I always take a cautious stance until the dust has settled, so to speak. If even after that hype period the game seems like what it was hyped up to be, I'll take a closer look at my finances and plan accordingly to maybe purchase the newest nintendo console so I too can experience the wonder of the aforementioned game.

The big difference here is that this is being called the greatest game of all time multiple times. Not sure if that is usual even with 95+ reviews.

Is posting my own in here to be added OK? If so, mine for Zam:

http://www.zam.com/article/1365/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-review

Great to see a variety in opinion and review!

So basically going by the cons I've read if the game was on a more powerful hardware it would have been a perfect 10, only complaints are about the visuals and fps, so the game itself is basically perfect, insane.

Technical art issues due to the limitations of the Switch, poor voice over, some rough difficulty spikes that'll hit casual players, and I wish it had a cookbook.

But most of the issues I had are small stuff. I waffled on giving it a 4.5/5 because I had doing a perfect score, but ultimately, my overall experience with the game justified it.

Majukun

I'm dying to know what's up with Gamexplain. They seemed to be the biggest fans of this damn game.

they made some critical decisions when making this game (much like with skyward sword), i expect that in the end of the day it will be arather divisive game for users,some people will love it with the intensity of a housand suns...other will probably ask "where is my zelda"

gamexplain probably fall in the latter,they probably think that the game is really good,but they miss some of the elements that got gutted or of the mechhanics that have been added

"Breath of the Wild takes Ocarina of Time to the final rounds until the old king can no longer stand under the might of this new masterpiece.

The king is dead, long live the king."

images

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom