• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
TV commentary is what it is, they cant go to in-depth into anything because of the ball by ball footage. On the other hand radio is excellent, they go on and on and on with ripping yarns then go "oh by the way thingo scored a 4." back to the yarn......... which is awesome.

Salazar

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
TV commentary is what it is, they cant go to in-depth into anything because of the ball by ball footage. On the other hand radio is excellent, they go on and on and on with ripping yarns then go "oh by the way thingo scored a 4." back to the yarn......... which is awesome.

The classic moment, perhaps, was Kerry (during a test against India, I think) talking about going on a brewery tour the evening before a match with Rod Marsh, and being so tanked and bleary when he showed up to play that he "only knew to release the ball when I passed the bloke in black duds".

That and Kerry regaling Aggers with the plot of Ice Age, and how, fair dinkum, he teared up at it.

Salazar

:lol

I remember watching a Cricket Show feature on Skull, talking about how deep his depression was for a while. Such a good bloke. It's one of the reasons I love hearing him laugh.

Grug

I could listen to Aggers talk about anything.

Always love it when he is out here for the Ashes talking about what restaraunt he ate at the night before, which Australian family he is staying with for Christmas etc...

Rezbit

Yeah Aggers and Kerry are amazing. Grug I reckon you're a bit harsh on the Foxtel commentators...some of them are absolute shit (Greg Blewett, Kaspa), but Mark Waugh is very vitriolic, yet fun to listen to. Allan Border also predictably knows his shit.

By the way, first game of the Big Bash and Tassie gave the Sandgropers a toweling. Looking like a very strong team. Ten Doeschate looks good for a random Dutchman!

Grug

Trying to find that classic Tony Greig moment where the camera flashes to a nearby park where a white male is marrying an Asian bride, only for Greigy to inappropriately chime in with "well... she's been flown in".

Doesn't seem to be on YouTube.

Dead Man

Grug said:
Trying to find that classic Tony Greig moment where the camera flashes to a nearby park where a white male is marrying an Asian bride, only for Greigy to inappropriately chime in with "well... she's been flown in".

I haven't seen that! :lol

Papa

Banned
Grug said:
Bit of information about it here.

Wish I could find the video. The awkward silence in the commentary box afterwards was priceless.
:lol

I was 10 at the time and was watching this live. Seeing as I come from a mixed background, my mother's reaction was not pleasant, to say the least.

DaMan121

Grug said:

:lol Remember watching that live, cringing and laughing at the same time. Don't remember when he analogized though, the next day, or right away. I think it was "I wonder if she's been flown in".

Dead Man

I have come to the conclusion that Tim Nielsen is a moron: Foxsportsnews
Michael Clarke will smash doubt over his leadership credentials from Test great Steve Waugh down to the man in the street as Australia's natural born leader, says national coach Tim Nielsen.

Australia will a see a very different Clarke from the "Pup" who has grown up before the nation's eyes from Monday when he replaces injured skipper Ricky Ponting in the final Test against England in Sydney.

The public hasn't warmed to Clarke - whether it is his dalliance with flashy model Lara Bingle, participation in underwear commercials or ill-timed tweets - but that is all about to change.

"Michael is a natural leader. He is a person who grabs people through his own performance, presents himself and drags people along with him. I am certain that is one of the major reasons he has been appointed captain of Australia while Ricky is not playing," Nielsen said.

"We understand the character and leadership ability he has. His opportunity now is not to prove people wrong but prove to people he can take on this role, do it in a positive light. I think over the next few weeks people will see a different Michael Clarke."

Waugh has noted a perceived indifference towards Clarke as successor to injured Ponting, also floating new vice-captain Brad Haddin and Tim Paine as the men to take Australia forward from Ponting.

"He has been groomed for it in the shorter form of the game and done it pretty well. For some reason there are question marks over Michael Clarke," said Waugh, with a phenomenal 41 wins as Test skipper from 1999-2003.

Nielsen backed Clarke to lead by example as Ponting has in steering Australia to a Test record 48 wins.

No untested leader enjoys public acceptance until they've proved themselves in battle, Nielsen argued.

205378-michael-clarke.jpg

artist

Banned
Dead Man said:
Because our umpires are playing for Australia? You try too hard sometimes irfan.
Did I imply that? I just meant it in the sense that even an Aussie umpire cant catch a break, some voodoo going on ..

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Steyn's face is pretty much my reaction. How that wasn't called out is beyond me. Had his leg not been there, middle stump would've been knocked out of the ground and flown to the boundary.

artist

Banned
pieatorium said:
To me it seemed more like India can't win without dodgy umpiring :p
Really? I can point out some incorrect decisions from the earlier days or even the first test - however the first test lacked a drunken* Aussie umpire.

*Davis is yet to proved guilty of SA's accusations.

pieatorium said:
To me it seemed more like India can't win without dodgy umpiring :p

Except when we play in Australia, when we can't win/draw because of dodgy umpiring.

It all evens out in the end.

(Though I agree that UDRS should be used across the board. We shouldn't be depending on Messrs Integrity)

artist

Banned
whatsinaname said:
(Though I agree that UDRS should be used across the board. We shouldn't be depending on Messrs Integrity)
I think BCCI's call is fair, they have tried most of the new experiments almost always first, why not let other countries try this one out till its widely accepted and implemented.

Salazar

SumPog said:
Question: Do you guys prefer to watch it on TV or listen to it on the radio whilst multi-tasking?

Watch on tv while listening to radio commentary.

One of mankind's great feats of combination. Up there with poached eggs and hollandaise.

Yagharek

Salazar said:
Yeah, get it checked.

Clarke needs to work on media skills, too.

"The selectors,for whatever reason, have stuck with Hilf, which shows loyalty and respect to Ben," said Clarke.

Clarke really said that? :lol God, please let clarke get a pair in this test so he can be dropped sooner.

Papa

Banned
Hilfenhaus does not suck at all. What are you guys smoking? Just because he hasn't been getting wickets doesn't mean he hasn't been contributing to them. When he ties up 1 end with ~2 RPO, Siddle and Johnson gain so much at the other.

Yagharek

Agreed, Hilfenhaus doesnt suck. He has been a consistently good player who if he isnt taking wickets usually has a good economy rate. Granted, this ashes series hasnt seen the best of him but he is one of the best pace bowlers in the country and much more consistent than any other bowler going around. Probably only hilfy and siddle should be automatic selections from the pace bowlers.

Harris could be great after injury. Johnson only bowls well once per series. Bollinger has had an injury run. George from SA could be good in a test though.

Top Bottom