• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Papa

Banned
RandomVince, twice now I've seen you post that Haddin should retire. What exactly warrants this comment? It certainly can't be age since he's only 33 and it can't be form either, so why?

Yagharek

matt404au said:
RandomVince, twice now I've seen you post that Haddin should retire. What exactly warrants this comment? It certainly can't be age since he's only 33 and it can't be form either, so why?

Not so much that he is out of form, just getting on and with Paine showing potential as a longer term prospect and being much younger. Its getting to the point if its not 12 months beyond it already that the side needs a cleanout and people need to step aside for a complete rebuild.

Grug

Shaun Marsh's first class record isn't all that flash. When he's on he hits as clean as Gilchrist but has major temperament issues.

Only New South Wales players with average records make the test side.

His baby brother Mitchell is the one to watch, but he's a few years off Australian selection yet.

Starting to show he is dangerous with the ball as well as the bat. Could be the allrounder we are looking for.

Papa

Banned
RandomVince said:
Not so much that he is out of form, just getting on and with Paine showing potential as a longer term prospect and being much younger. Its getting to the point if its not 12 months beyond it already that the side needs a cleanout and people need to step aside for a complete rebuild.

Paine isn't going anywhere, he'll still be here when Haddin's ready to retire. I'm all for a rebuild of the team but you don't get rid of the few players who are actually doing well.

legend166

Mitch Marsh really has done absolutely nothing at first class level yet.

282 runs at 16 and 3 wickets at 91.

He's only getting a game on his name and the fact that WA are terrible. He's 3-4 years away from test contention, at least.

Copeland should play in Sydney.

Grug

RandomVince said:

Playing 11 noobs will be disasterous though. You need some experienced, cool heads to show them how it's done. Hussey, Katich and Haddin have considerable value to add still, regardless of age. They also deserve to be rewarded for putting up a fight in the Ashes when no one else would.

legend166 said:
Mitch Marsh really has done absolutely nothing at first class level yet.

282 runs at 16 and 3 wickets at 91.

He's only getting a game on his name and the fact that WA are terrible. He's 3-4 years away from test contention, at least.

Yeah, he's just a kid, but he has all the tools.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
matt404au said:

On radio commentary the other day they where saying Haddin should be captain next for a few years while Clarke sorts shit out. They also said Clarke should loose his 20/20 Captaincy and potentially be dropped all together from that form. One Day and Test he would keep Vice.

I actually agree, he isnt to great at 20/20 and it seems to affect all his forms.

legend166 said:
Copeland should play in Sydney.

They'll likely just do a straight swap Beer for the injured Harris and keep the Siddle/Hilf/Johnson pace trio.

I don't agree, but seems like something the selectors would do.

Rezbit

As Steve Waugh said, keep Haddin in but put Paine in as well. I would argue that compared to many in the current team both can be put in on batting prowess alone. I'm pretty much in accord with everyone else, Clarke needs to go and sort his shit out. Cannot be captain in his current state. Hughes has potential but really needs help. He has massive technical flaws that need to be ironed out (although he looked good but was unlucky to get run out by Watson today). Smith still looks a bit raw, too. Might as well keep them in at this point.

Regarding some young players floating around, Mitch Marsh looks good but still a while off. An up and coming bowling allrounder from Tassie, James Faulkner, also looks good. These two are hopefully going to be long-term players.

Australia desperately need a leadership figure though. The captains floating around the first class scene are Bailey (TAS), Katich, Clark, Henriques (NSW), Hopes (QLD), Klinger (SA), White (VIC), North (WA). Out of that group, only White and Bailey really jump out at me as solid leadership figures, but I'm not sure if either of these guys quite have the skill to be playing at international level. Maybe White should get another run, he has been there before after all. Not sure how successful he was though. So I'd put forward Paine, Haddin, White and Bailey as potential captains. Yikes. Any other suggestions? :lol

Yagharek

Grug said:
Playing 11 noobs will be disasterous though. You need some experienced, cool heads to show them how it's done. Hussey, Katich and Haddin have considerable value to add still, regardless of age. They also deserve to be rewarded for putting up a fight in the Ashes when no one else would.

Perhaps, but Paine could get in on batting form alone at the moment.

Playing 11 noobs couldnt be any worse than the current side though.

Papa

Banned
RandomVince said:

Playing 11 noobs couldnt be any worse than the current side though.

I disagree, it could be much worse. Watson, Katich, Hussey and Haddin all deserve to retain their spots. You can't really drop Hughes either considering he was looking good today but was run out by his partner. My team for Sydney would be, in order:

Watson
Katich (assuming he's fit)
Hughes
Hussey
Ponting
Khawaja
Haddin
Hauritz
Johnson
Siddle
Hilfenhaus

RandomVince said:

No he couldn't. His record is not as impressive as some people seem to think; avg. 35 @ test level and 31 @ FC level is not a good enough for a pure batsman. Good keeper though.

My team for Sydney would be:

Watson
Hughes
Khawaja
Ponting
Hussey
Haddin
Smith
O'Keefe
Johnson
Siddle
Copeland

In: Khawaja, O'Keefe, Copeland
Out: Clarke, Harris, Hilfenhaus

(No NSW bias here, I'm from SA :lol)

SumPog

Neo Member
Rezbit said:
As Steve Waugh said, keep Haddin in but put Paine in as well. I would argue that compared to many in the current team both can be put in on batting prowess alone. I'm pretty much in accord with everyone else, Clarke needs to go and sort his shit out. Cannot be captain in his current state. Hughes has potential but really needs help. He has massive technical flaws that need to be ironed out (although he looked good but was unlucky to get run out by Watson today). Smith still looks a bit raw, too. Might as well keep them in at this point.

Regarding some young players floating around, Mitch Marsh looks good but still a while off. An up and coming bowling allrounder from Tassie, James Faulkner, also looks good. These two are hopefully going to be long-term players.

Australia desperately need a leadership figure though. The captains floating around the first class scene are Bailey (TAS), Katich, Clark, Henriques (NSW), Hopes (QLD), Klinger (SA), White (VIC), North (WA). Out of that group, only White and Bailey really jump out at me as solid leadership figures, but I'm not sure if either of these guys quite have the skill to be playing at international level. Maybe White should get another run, he has been there before after all. Not sure how successful he was though. So I'd put forward Paine, Haddin, White and Bailey as potential captains. Yikes. Any other suggestions? :lol

What about Watson? Would he have the material to be a captain?

Papa

Banned
SumPog said:
What about Watson? Would he have the material to be a captain?

I don't think so. He's terrible under pressure (see his conversion rate once he reaches 90+) and is too excitable in a bad way (see every wicket celebration).

Rezbit

Khawaja, O'Keefe AND Copeland? C'mon son. The thing with Paine is he is getting better. He has barely had a chance at Test level and is averaging 35. I think that's pretty damn good for a dude who comes in at a whim when Haddin is injured. He has class and excellent technique, and should be in.

Regarding Watson, he is in the same mould as Clarke, in my humble opinion. A very trendy pretty boy. He has a lot of talent, but he doesn't look to have the temperament to be captain. Blows up easily, over-reacts when he gets wickets, in the past has shown he drops his head and loses confidence easily (been better lately mind you), and I'm not sure he would command the respect of all the team. Speaking of that, even though they had some success, it just never looked like Watson and Katich gelled at the crease.

Edit: by the time it took me to type this up matt summed it up in one line :lol

Salazar

matt404au said:
I don't think so. He's terrible under pressure (see his conversion rate once he reaches 90+) and is too excitable in a bad way (see every wicket celebration).

And he's thick.

Not that fellows whose heads are bone all the way through, with perhaps a squash ball of muscular tissue bouncing around in the centre, can't prosper in captaincy.

But I want a brain at work. Rat cunning.

To me the biggest issue by far is Clarke and Ponting. You can't have your number 3 and 4 batsmen fail constantly. The fact that they are captain and vice captain is even worse.

This just puts an immense amount of pressure on the middle order to try and make up the slack. I'm not saying i rate the likes of Smith, im just saying it must suck that every game by the time the middle to lower order get to bat the team is already in massive trouble.

I have never liked Ponting as a captain but he has always had a strong team and his own ability with the bat to get him through. Both of those luxuries now appear to be gone, surely the selectors must be questioning his position.

I think he should be stripped of his captaincy and lowered down the batting order.

Then there is the bowlers. I don't know what the selectors will do. The people i have heard being touted as replacements don't really seem any better. It really is a crap position to be in.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
There's a lot of talk about moving Ponting down the order. I'd be tempted to go the other way - have him open alongside someone less experienced. I think part of his problem in this series is that he gets in too early after a quick wicket and, being an emotional chap, this does his head in. If he knows when he's going in (first over) it'll take that pressure off, and having his experience there would help a fresh face in the team.

Put Hussey at 3, another new face at 4 and Haddin at 5.

It might work - or at least stabilise the top order a bit.

Dead Man

phisheep said:
There's a lot of talk about moving Ponting down the order. I'd be tempted to go the other way - have him open alongside someone less experienced. I think part of his problem in this series is that he gets in too early after a quick wicket and, being an emotional chap, this does his head in. If he knows when he's going in (first over) it'll take that pressure off, and having his experience there would help a fresh face in the team.

Put Hussey at 3, another new face at 4 and Haddin at 5.

It might work - or at least stabilise the top order a bit.
Interesting, I'd be happy if they tried that for a match or 3, but also maybe remove the captaincy if it does not help.

Rezbit

Salazar said:
Phisheep has the truth of it.

Perhaps Ponting was scarred by growing up in so mercilessly dull a place as Launceston.

As a Hobartian....ICEEEEE BURN!!

I think Watson down the order would be better. Might have more of a chance at converting if he had less pressure to open on him. As mentioned before, his temperament seems to be an issue.

For next Test, obviously Harris will be out for Beer. I also think Clarke will finally be told to have a rest, and Khawaja will come in. That will probably be the extent of the changes. The last test will be a dead rubber and what I assume will be Ponting's farewell game. Though I think he will be judged harshly by history, I admire him a lot and he does deserve that last game to say goodbye/thanks/fuck you/etc.

AND to finally make a comment on our excellent opposition, the English bowling stocks which I thought were a bit one-dimensional look fantastic. Tremlett looks great. If he could kick up his pace another yard I think he'd absolutely dominate any team. Swann has looked threatening but hardly had to do anything.

Yagharek

Salazar said:
As an aside, it is hilarious that Tasmania's bargain stores are called "Chickenfeed".

Doncha lovem.

* Anyone from tassie who reads this will have the song stuck in their heads, guaranteed. If that fails: 236689 should ring a bell.

guidop

Although Haddin has been good this summer he throws his wicket away far to often. He should be dropped for that shot he played in the first in innings alone. That is not a shot you play when it is 6/77 and the Ashes are on the line. Its not like that is the first time he has done stupid shit like that

Rezbit

RandomVince said:
Doncha lovem.

* Anyone from tassie who reads this will have the song stuck in their heads, guaranteed. If that fails: 236689 should ring a bell.

Tasmanian Carpet Cleaning, a top job every time...

Yagharek

Rezbit said:
Tasmanian Carpet Cleaning, a top job every time...

Indeed. I think they got done for fraud at some point anyway. Though I may be mistaken. I know someone who worked for them when it all unravelled.

Rezbit

RandomVince said:
Indeed. I think they got done for fraud at some point anyway. Though I may be mistaken. I know someone who worked for them when it all unravelled.

:lol Wow, is that so. I always wondered what happened to those guys...I assumed the advertising campaign wasn't as successful as the catchy song would lead you to believe.

DeSo

Banned
Another great day for the Aussies today. We've got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one. Well... maybe Clarke. We've been diabolical but the Poms have been damn good, props to them, deserved winners. Hopefully we can show some fight in Sydney and at least draw the series. We won't win the Ashes but at least we can save a little face.

SA/India is a good contest at the moment, the Saffers are looking the goods for chasing India down but you never know what can happen.

Yagharek

Rezbit said:
:lol Wow, is that so. I always wondered what happened to those guys...I assumed the advertising campaign wasn't as successful as the catchy song would lead you to believe.

Well you remember the tune after 20 odd years :lol

I may be wrong though, all I know for certain is that the owner was a bit of a prick and there were rumours about some of the people working for the company.

Meadows

Banned
It's worth saying that despite my young age I've got a very in depth knowledge of England in the last 10 years, thanks mainly to my avid-Barmy Army parents.

I remember characters such as Croft, Caddick and Devon Malcolm. It is with this that I think we've gotta say that all of the current players are waaay better than anyone in the past 10 years. I think apart from a few players English cricket wasn't what it should have been. Sure there was Atherton and Stewart but I think they'd struggle to get in ahead of Strauss and Cook, who are, to be frank, incredible.

Is the Aussies domination of cricket over? It seems, in hindsight, that the Aussies were foolish not to invest in the future of cricket, instead just sticking with the same players. I mean, the Aussie players of my childhood are pretty similar, or at least were in the last couple of ashes. Warne, Ponting, Gilchrist and Lee.

Oh, who cares, I love this shit. You know what my parents did when Australians won the ashes. They hit me. Fuck you Australia.

kidding obvs

legend166

Why are people picking Paine as a batsman? First class average of 31, with only one hundred. There's at least 10 batsman I'd chose ahead of him to bat in the top 6. On top of all that, he's barely played any cricket this summer.

Haddin has had a good series and will be around for a couple years at least.

CharliePants said:
No he couldn't. His record is not as impressive as some people seem to think; avg. 35 @ test level and 31 @ FC level is not a good enough for a pure batsman. Good keeper though.

My team for Sydney would be:

Watson
Hughes
Khawaja
Ponting
Hussey
Haddin
Smith
O'Keefe
Johnson
Siddle
Copeland

In: Khawaja, O'Keefe, Copeland
Out: Clarke, Harris, Hilfenhaus

(No NSW bias here, I'm from SA )

If it's a typical SCG pitch, I really like this team. Ideally, I'd have Harris in for Johnson, but he's injured so that can't happen. I'd let Ponting play his farewell match at number three though.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Aussies now need five more runs to ensure this is not their worst home defeat ever, only the worst since 1897.

EDIT: they did it - well that's a small victory of sorts

Salazar

Meadows said:
Is the Aussies domination of cricket over? It seems, in hindsight, that the Aussies were foolish not to invest in the future of cricket, instead just sticking with the same players. I mean, the Aussie players of my childhood are pretty similar, or at least were in the last couple of ashes. Warne, Ponting, Gilchrist and Lee.

They made a fuckton of money out of those blokes. That was probably a factor.

legend166

Meadows said:
It's worth saying that despite my young age I've got a very in depth knowledge of England in the last 10 years, thanks mainly to my avid-Barmy Army parents.

I remember characters such as Croft, Caddick and Devon Malcolm. It is with this that I think we've gotta say that all of the current players are waaay better than anyone in the past 10 years. I think apart from a few players English cricket wasn't what it should have been. Sure there was Atherton and Stewart but I think they'd struggle to get in ahead of Strauss and Cook, who are, to be frank, incredible.

Oh, who cares, I love this shit. You know what my parents did when Australians won the ashes. They hit me. Fuck you Australia.

kidding obvs

I think you're a bit late on that :p

All good things must come to an end, sadly. Australia has dominated cricket for as long as I can remember. One of my earliest cricketing memories was seeing all the stories of Steve Waugh scoring his 200* in the West Indies (probably the best starting point of our dominance), then getting highlights of the series on VHS and watching it with my brother.

Growing up watching Warne, McGrath, Waugh, Gilchrist, Ponting et al has given me a love for the game that's going to last until I die, or they stop playing Test cricket. Hopefully it's the former.

So I can't be too angry about us sucking now.

Salazar

It genuinely is much more irritating to listen to Warne with the knowledge that he has smanged Liz Hurley, possibly more than once.

DeSo

Banned
Too good, Poms, well done, enjoy. By god we were dreadful though. Well done to Haddin and Siddle showing a bit of ticker at the end there.

Ashes

Banned
Salazar said:
:lol :lol

ADIOS AUSTRALIA.

9QH1A.gif

:lol

Yagharek

Yep. Australia played shit and England played great. The right result.

Now I just hope the selectors and out of form players are dragged over the coals. Rest of the sheffield shield season will be interesting to watch.

Marcus North should be permanently vetoed from re-selection on the basis he thinks a good t20 score is enough to get back in the test side.

master15

Well the results are in. Well played England you got to say outside the 3rd test match and the first day of the opening game they pretty much outclassed Australia.

Bitterly disappointing but as alluded to in this thread there are some chronic issues within the team. I'll be interested to see what fate awaits Pointing but from his last comments, I feel like the selectors will give him the heave hoe. Despite a terrible run of form, taking a step back there was a large stretch of time he was the dominant number 3 in the game and his performances in big game situations (World cup finals) really show he had amazing ability. It will be a loss, but one sadly that needs to be made as the entire team has to rebuild.

Top Bottom