• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

SumPog

Neo Member
Salazar said:
Watch on tv while listening to radio commentary.

One of mankind's great feats of combination. Up there with poached eggs and hollandaise.

Interesting. Very interesting.

guidop

RandomVince said:
Clarke really said that? :lol God, please let clarke get a pair in this test so he can be dropped sooner.

That loyalty is the reason he is in the side. Its a disgrace that Khawaja will get his baggy green handed to him by this clown.

As for Hilf he should be dropped make him go play some state cricket build up the confidence a bit, get some wickets then bring him back in. In his place a player like Copeland should be given a go.

DeSo

Banned
m3k said:
lol clarke as captain :lol
Been groomed for it for years, don't know why people are surprised.

I'm not the biggest fan of him but hopefully this added responsibility is good for him and he makes a few runs in Sydney, he needs them.

If what he said about Hilf is true than that's just not a good start in a leadership role.

Hilf needs the right pitch to be attacking otherwise all he's good for is tying up an end. And you want more from your opening bowler.

m3k

DeSo said:
Been groomed for it for years, don't know why people are surprised.

I'm not the biggest fan of him but hopefully this added responsibility is good for him and he makes a few runs in Sydney, he needs them.

If what he said about Hilf is true than that's just not a good start in a leadership role.

Hilf needs the right pitch to be attacking otherwise all he's good for is tying up an end. And you want more from your opening bowler.

not surprised but no one i know wanted it

Papa

Banned
RandomVince said:
Agreed, Hilfenhaus doesnt suck. He has been a consistently good player who if he isnt taking wickets usually has a good economy rate. Granted, this ashes series hasnt seen the best of him but he is one of the best pace bowlers in the country and much more consistent than any other bowler going around. Probably only hilfy and siddle should be automatic selections from the pace bowlers.

Harris could be great after injury. Johnson only bowls well once per series. Bollinger has had an injury run. George from SA could be good in a test though.

I wasn't terribly impressed with George in India but I'd sure like to see him get another go seeing as it was only his first test.

legend166

Hilfenhaus has had just a bad series with the ball as Clarke has with the bat.

I love the Hilf. He was great in India and I'm pretty sure I was pumping him up earlier in this thread before the series started. But he's been woeful. 4 wickets at 73. I don't care how tight you keep it, that's horrible reading. You can't have your opening bowler performing like that and expect to win test matches. Especially when your two other quick bowlers are as hot and cold as Siddle and Johnson. Copeland should be playing in his place.

I don't know what happened to him. It looked like in India he'd finally added some variety to his attack, and was successful bowling cutters and changing his pace. But he's been completely one note all series. Come in, bowl gentle outswinger from the exact same position, rinse and repeat.

Ripping into Clarke whilst giving Hilfenhaus a pass seems like hypocrisy to me.

Just an aside about Clarke - he'd have to be the most underrated player ever. Yes he's had a terrible series, and I wouldn't have disagreed if he'd been dropped this test and gone back to play in the Shield. But at the end of the day, it's just a form slump. Every single batsman in world cricket has gone through it. Clarke in form is one of the best batsman in the world.

I know none of you will believe me, since a lot of your opinions seem to be based more on what's written in Woman's Day than what actually happens on the pitch, I'll give some stats to prove it. Since he cemented his spot in the side back in the 06/07 Ashes to before the Pakistan series in England (where his form slump started), so basically a period of four years:

In that time he played 38 matches, scoring 3252 runs at an average of 60!. He scored 12 centuries in that time. To put it into perspective - he was the third highest run scorer in world cricket during that period. Out of the top 10 run scorers, he had the second highest average, behind Jayawardene. Guess who was the only other person to score 12 centuries was? Tendulkar!

Actually wanting Clarke to fail so he can be dropped is so stupid, and quite frankly, ignorant. Wanting him to be dropped when he does fail is perfectly fair (like I said, I wouldn't have been averse to him not playing this match if Ponting was fit). But actively wanting him to fail is pathetic. An inform Clarke makes us such a better team.

m3k

legend166 said:

I love the Hilf. He was great in India and I'm pretty sure I was pumping him up earlier in this thread before the series started. But he's been woeful. 4 wickets at 73. I don't care how tight you keep it, that's horrible reading. You can't have your opening bowler performing like that and expect to win test matches. Copeland should be playing in his place.

I don't know what happened to him. It looked like in India he'd finally added some variety to his attack, and was successful bowling cutters and changing his pace. But he's been completely one note all series. Come in, bowl gentle outswinger from the exact same position, rinse and repeat.

who else is performing for the bowlers not in the team... what happened to lee and clark?

Yagharek

legend166 said:

I love the Hilf. He was great in India

And clarke was bad in india too. The guy is an arrogant twat who would be better out of the side for both morale and ability. He is in poor form and there are younger players out there with good domestic (and brief international) experience who arent threatening to drop senior players "when they become captain".

legend166

m3k said:
who else is performing for the bowlers not in the team... what happened to lee and clark?

Lee retired from first class cricket and Clark is past it - he'll struggle to keep his place in the NSW team for the rest of the season and probably would have been dropped if he wasn't the captain (sounds familiar).

Trent Copeland should be playing for Australia. He's 24, debuted for NSW last season. Since his debut he's played 11 matches, taking 60 wickets at 19. Amazing figures.

legend166

RandomVince said:
And clarke was bad in india too. The guy is an arrogant twat who would be better out of the side for both morale and ability. He is in poor form and there are younger players out there with good domestic (and brief international) experience who arent threatening to drop senior players "when they become captain".

Morale? How would the captain and vice captain both not playing be good for morale? That's a stupid comment.

The younger players look up to Clarke. Everyone says this. Shaun Tait said he's the best captain he's ever played under. In a time when the team is going to be full of young guys, someone in their generation who they can relate to is a good thing.

Besides, a captain who's not part of the boys club can only be a good thing at this point. That's what's got us into this mess.

Papa

Banned
legend166 said:

I love the Hilf. He was great in India and I'm pretty sure I was pumping him up earlier in this thread before the series started. But he's been woeful. 4 wickets at 73. I don't care how tight you keep it, that's horrible reading. You can't have your opening bowler performing like that and expect to win test matches. Especially when your two other quick bowlers are as hot and cold as Siddle and Johnson. Copeland should be playing in his place.

Just an aside about Clarke - he'd have to be the most underrated player ever. Yes he's had a terrible series, and I wouldn't have disagreed if he'd been dropped this test and gone back to play in the Shield. But at the end of the day, it's just a form slump. Every single batsman in world cricket has gone through it. Clarke in form is one of the best batsman in the world.

I know none of you will believe me, since a lot of your opinions seem to be based more on what's written in Woman's Day than what actually happens on the pitch, I'll give some stats to prove it. Since he cemented his spot in the side back in the 06/07 Ashes to before the Pakistan series in England (where his form slump started), so basically a period of four years:

In that time he played 38 matches, scoring 3252 runs at an average of 60!. He scored 12 centuries in that time. To put it into perspective - he was the third highest run scorer in world cricket during that period. Out of the top 10 run scorers, he had the second highest average, behind Jayawardene. Guess who was the only other person to score 12 centuries was? Tendulkar!

Actually wanting Clarke to fail so he can be dropped is so stupid, and quite frankly, ignorant. Wanting him to be dropped when he does fail is perfectly fair (like I said, I wouldn't have been averse to him not playing this match if Ponting was fit). But actively wanting him to fail is pathetic. An inform Clarke makes us such a better team.

People aren't questioning his ability, they're questioning his attitude.

Yagharek

legend166 said:
Morale? How would the captain and vice captain both not playing be good for morale? That's a stupid comment.

The younger players look up to Clarke. Everyone says this. Shaun Tait said he's the best captain he's ever played under. In a time when the team is going to be full of young guys, someone in their generation who they can relate to is a good thing.

Besides, a captain who's not part of the boys club can only be a good thing at this point. That's what's got us into this mess.

Are you watching a different clarke to everyone else? He is the very definition of the boys club/metro wanker who is more focussed on his twitter career than cricket. He is a bad sport (eg walking then not then calling for review then hopping on to twitter to explain himself). He told katich that he was out of the side when he was captain. He is a distraction with his bingles and comments like todays about hilfenhaus show that he shows little respect and deserves less.

I dont think you could get any further from a steve waugh/alan border style leader than this clown.

guidop

legend166 said:

I don't think anyone doubts he has the ability but he just isn't captain material. You look at the off-field bullshit and his faux macho and pretty boy demeanor and you can't help but be pissed off and hate the bloke.

Salazar

guidop said:
I don't think anyone doubts he has the ability but he just isn't captain material. You look at the off-field bullshit and his faux macho and pretty boy demeanor and you can't help but be pissed off and hate the bloke.

Slap a byline and flattering photo on this post and make it a national newspaper editorial tomorrow. It's the fucking truth.

artist

Banned
legend166 said:

Something's dripping from this post.

Grug

Give legend166 a break. He is from NSW and therefore in line for test selection. Can't blame him for showing solidarity and not rocking the boat. ;)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Grug's just pissed that the only certifiable Queenslander in the team is an overexcited hick from Ipswich. The other two on the team are different; one of them moved interstate to play for Western Australia, and the other couldn't even get selected to throw a ball this Ashes.

Grug

speedpop said:
Grug's just pissed that the only certifiable Queenslander in the team is an overexcited hick from Ipswich. The other two on the team are different; one of them moved interstate to play for Western Australia, and the other couldn't even get selected to throw a ball this Ashes.

*hides his NSW birth certificate* ;)

Dead Man

speedpop said:
Game on! :lol

Salazar

I hope England bowl first.

I remember being miffed that Jimmy Maher didn't get a test bat.

That's how parochial I could be, and I'm not even from Queensland.

Grug

I don't get into the state parochialism very much with cricket to be honest.

In fact I flicked onto the Big Bash before (I'm not proud of that) and QLD Captain James Hopes was giving me the complete shits with his hogging the strike and lazy running between wickets. Made me start cheering for Victoria.

Grug

Salazar said:
I remember being miffed that Jimmy Maher didn't get a test bat.

That's how parochial I could be, and I'm not even from Queensland.

Stuart Law cracked one test though. :D

DeSo

Banned
Carseldine couldn't hit the bloody ball was why Hopes was hogging the strike. Yeah, I caught a bit of that game. :lol

RandomVince said:
:lol how many years is it now? Let it go, it was legitimate.

:lol It still rankles. I was in Montego Bay last week and had half a mind to go looking for Bucknor.

But that was the point of my post. It all evens out in the end. No point saying stuff like India wins/loses because of dodgy umpiring.

Edit: G.Smith should just be rested for matches where he might face Zak. :lol

Salazar

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Aussies are batting. No idea about this pitch. Anyone care to fill me in?

Truculent.

Yes, I did just pluck an adjective. My tv is still showing children's programming.

Papa

Banned
God damn Channel 9 skipped the entire pre-match half hour. They almost missed the first ball because they were showing some bullshit kids' show.

Salazar

matt404au said:
God damn Channel 9 skipped the entire pre-match half hour. They almost missed the first ball because they were showing some bullshit kids' show.

The fairy thing with the slightly chubby but still roger-able blonde ?

artist

Banned
Spoke too soon as Hughes lost his cool just after that post .. Khwaja in now. Its such a shame when Australia is relying on import blood ..
Relax, its just a retort to Grug's jab at KP being import blood for the poms

Papa

Banned
irfan said:
Spoke too soon as Hughes lost his cool just after that post .. Khwaja in now. Its such a shame when Australia is relying on import blood ..
Relax, its just a retort to Grug's jab at KP being import blood for the poms

Difference is Khawaja moved here when he was 3. Pietersen made his first class debut in South Africa.

artist

Banned
matt404au said:
Difference is Khawaja moved here when he was 3. Pietersen made his first class debut in South Africa.
Regardless, he's still not "Australian". :p

He looks solid so far, running away with the limelight against Watty.

Papa

Banned
irfan said:
Regardless, he's still not "Australian". :p

He looks solid so far, running away with the limelight against Watty.

He learnt everything he knows in Australia. Are you saying that cricketing abilities are tied to what race you're born into?

You're probably going to claim trolling here but a few :ps and disclaimers don't hide the fact that you actually believe what you're saying.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
matt404au said:
He learnt everything he knows in Australia. Are you saying that cricketing abilities are tied to what race you're born into?

You're probably going to claim trolling here but a few :ps and disclaimers don't hide the fact that you actually believe what you're saying.

When someone's got shit for brains don't expect anything but shit to come out his mouth.

Top Bottom