• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Papa

Banned
This is actually the first time I've seen Khawaja bat. First impression is that he has a very solid technique. Watching him face up and just the way he carries himself in general actually reminds me a lot of Tendulkar.

artist

Banned
matt404au said:
He learnt everything he knows in Australia. Are you saying that cricketing abilities are tied to what race you're born into?

You're probably going to claim trolling here but a few :ps and disclaimers don't hide the fact that you actually believe what you're saying.
He's an import no matter how you slice it. He's not as Australian as say Ponting or other blokes in the team .. anyway if a cricketer plays for a certain country, you shouldnt have a problem with it. Just pointing it out for the obvious fellows in here.

Put the finger pointing aside and get back to the match at hand.

ZNws7.png

So good! :D :lol

Grug

What the deuce.

Just woke up to find that we are batting and weren't all out by lunch.

What witchcraft is this?

Papa

Banned
Although I don't like the guy and am in the camp that thinks he should've been dropped, I have a feeling Clarke will bat well this test. He's always been good when under personal pressure, just look at when he came back from the breakup with Lara Bingle.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This thread has been around for two years and I just now realized it's not about the phone company.

Rezbit

By the way, just thinking of Pakistan, did anyone watch the Pakistan/NZ T20 match, when Afridi bowled Tim Southee with a 134km ball? :lol

Juicy Bob

Rezbit said:
By the way, just thinking of Pakistan, did anyone watch the Pakistan/NZ T20 match, when Afridi bowled Tim Southee with a 134km ball? :lol

Actually, yes.

The previous ball was a typical 80kmh or something and then he pulled that one out. How do you do that with hardly any run-up?

Papa

Banned
He was looking good though. Nice posture, straight bat, full face. Maybe he'll do well in the second innings.

Papa

Banned
Grug said:
Give me runs and shit posture anyday. ;)

Well yeah, at the end of the day runs are what matter, but those things I listed are indicative of the ability to score runs.

Not trying to troll here.

I thought this thread was about the shitty cell phone service called Cricket. Good thing I clicked on this thread.

Ashes

Banned
I read today that swann is a lead singer in a pub band as well.

I think you've found a good cricketer here, Australian fans, in this third position batsman. khawaja looks a good prospect.

artist

Banned
CaptYamato said:
Not trying to troll here.

I thought this thread was about the shitty cell phone service called Cricket. Good thing I clicked on this thread.
You're not the only one today .. look above. And if you know about the game, hang around.

Yagharek

legend166 said:
Ripping into Clarke whilst giving Hilfenhaus a pass seems like hypocrisy to me.

Just an aside about Clarke - he'd have to be the most underrated player ever. Yes he's had a terrible series, and I wouldn't have disagreed if he'd been dropped this test and gone back to play in the Shield. But at the end of the day, it's just a form slump. Every single batsman in world cricket has gone through it. Clarke in form is one of the best batsman in the world.

I know none of you will believe me, since a lot of your opinions seem to be based more on what's written in Woman's Day than what actually happens on the pitch, I'll give some stats to prove it. Since he cemented his spot in the side back in the 06/07 Ashes to before the Pakistan series in England (where his form slump started), so basically a period of four years:

In that time he played 38 matches, scoring 3252 runs at an average of 60!. He scored 12 centuries in that time. To put it into perspective - he was the third highest run scorer in world cricket during that period. Out of the top 10 run scorers, he had the second highest average, behind Jayawardene. Guess who was the only other person to score 12 centuries was? Tendulkar!

Actually wanting Clarke to fail so he can be dropped is so stupid, and quite frankly, ignorant. Wanting him to be dropped when he does fail is perfectly fair (like I said, I wouldn't have been averse to him not playing this match if Ponting was fit). But actively wanting him to fail is pathetic. An inform Clarke makes us such a better team.

Clarke, MJ c Anderson, JM b Bresnan, TT 4

Marvellous player.

Salazar

matt404au said:
Oh my, isn't Kristina Keneally a milf?

I find her strained accent erotic.

And, of course, power - even of the hilariously shambolic, amateurishly corrupt or negligent, irremediably feeble kind - appeals.

pieatorium said:
sorry had power outages all day so I'm probably a little late for an Indian food joke.

I sniggered.

Salazar

phisheep said:
That's what passes for a captain's innings these days. But Khawaja looks useful.

And his Mum looked emotional, which means he can sit cross-legged and gnaw on middle-stump and I will obligatorily think well of him.

guidop

Channel 9 coverage today was cringe-worthy had to turn it off a few times it was that bad. Lets get a reaction from the Khawajas... a 100 times. How bout you leave them in piece and let them enjoy the cricket for fuck's sake. Healy is a child

artist

Banned
RandomVince said:
Better average than sachin too. If he bats for as long he should overtake him on the runs tally too.
Ifs and buts, lets cross the bridge when the time comes. For now, Punter is overtaken by the best all-rounder ever .. too bad he's such an unexciting player.

irfan said:
Ifs and buts, lets cross the bridge when the time comes. For now, Punter is overtaken by the best all-rounder ever .. too bad he's such an unexciting player.

Sir Garry Sobers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jaques Kallis

Unless you go purely by statistics. Whoops, you probably do to also justify Tendulkar as the best batsman ever.....

artist

Banned
chicko1983 said:
Sir Garry Sobers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jaques Kallis

Unless you go purely by statistics. Whoops, you probably do to also justify Tendulkar as the best batsman ever.....
OMG, what a great comeback! Wishing Punter has such a good comeback as well. :lol

Sobers slipped my mind, still Kallis is among the best

irfan said:
OMG, what a great comeback! Wishing Punter has such a good comeback as well. :lol

Sobers slipped my mind, still Kallis is among the best

what do you mean by 'what a great comeback'?

I was merely pointing out that you forgot about arguably the greatest player ever because you only care to look at statistics.

Yeah Kallis would be among the best but nowhere near the matchwinner or crowd pleaser as any of the other great all rounders (Sobers, Miller, Khan, Botham) that come to mind.

Salazar

Bwa + ha + ha = Bwahaha.

I noticed a Bresnan ball seam quite a long way a while back, but is there anything scary about the pitch ?

Top Bottom