• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

midonnay

getting guilted into reversing a correct decision because of a booing crowd is just not cricket :/

english team should be ashamed for even asking

Meadows

Banned
Words can't describe how gutted I am right now to be in Taiwan, fucking watched all of the shite series against Sri Lanka and am now missing the golden age of English cricket. Oh well, so proud of the lads.

artist

Banned
whatsinaname said:
lol

Fucking poor sports, even Bell admitted that they probably would NOT have reversed the decision. It was a pivotal key moment that changed the game completely. Still India played poorly and deserved to loose. I'm not sure if England is the best team by miles, delusional considering both Sehwag and Zaheer are not in.

Also whats with the pom being such sore sports - Vaughan whining about vaseline on the bat. This will be hard to top for a while.

Meadows

Banned
At the end of the day, the Bell thing is irrelevant, he only got 10 more runs or something, we won by 319 runs. Good on Dhoni for doing it, I respect him for it, but at the end of the day England are fuck awesome and India have been very poor.

Lucius86

Banned
irfan said:
lol

Fucking poor sports, even Bell admitted that they probably would NOT have reversed the decision. It was a pivotal key moment that changed the game completely. Still India played poorly and deserved to loose. I'm not sure if England is the best team by miles, delusional considering both Sehwag and Zaheer are not in..

Are you sure about this? Bell only got like another 10 runs on top of that.

India blew it today by getting out. They had every chance to get a draw.

mclem

So the third Test has started, and it's already a bit tasty. This is the big one, too; winning this will guarantee England hits the top spot after this series.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Yeah 75/3 is a good start for the Poms.

Aus going ok in the ODI against Sri Lanka, might get em out in 40 overs.

Edit.

75/4 now

Johnson 6/31 career best figure.

mclem

This is looking very much like England's first innings in the previous test. Great play from Dhoni, just when India really needed it.

tri_willy

although india havnt had their best lineup imo, england may take the no.1 ranking from them after this series. under flowers guidance, they have improved immensely, like how gary kirsten was great to india... good to see cook among the runs again, 2 poor tests so far and he gets another ton, well done lad

mclem

tri_willy said:
although india havnt had their best lineup imo, england may take the no.1 ranking from them after this series.

One more win guarantees it, and they're in a really good position for that right now.

Embarrassing performance by India, really.

They need to find themselves a decent bowler or two if they are to be a truly good team (and quickly, too - Sachin, VVS and Dravid won't be around forever).

tri_willy

CharliePants said:
Embarrassing performance by India, really.

They need to find themselves a decent bowler or two if they are to be a truly good team (and quickly, too - Sachin, VVS and Dravid won't be around forever).

kumar & zaheer khan are probably their best wicket takers for pacemen. ishant sharma is mediocre, sreesanth sucks. they a depth of talent that have yet to be given proper opportunities at this point in time.

after their best 3 batsmen retire, i expects guys like badrinath, rahane, tiwary & pujara etc. to be the next guys to step up. not sure if duncan fletcher will go a great job as kirsten did

raina must be a pretty good ass kisser to still be in the line up after all this time. kid was decent start to his career but just got inconsistent down the track

HOLY SHIT! just realised alastair cook has outscored the indian team on his own, what a monster

mclem

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Welp India is getting well and truly flogged, wonder how long till England declare.

I'd wait until tea, maybe a little after; gives England a chance to get their highest ever total (Previous was 658-8, if I remember rightly), gives Cook the opportunity to go for a triple century, tires India out further, *and* still leaves two full days and an evening session to bowl 'em out.

But then, I'm a soppy old romantic.

Edit: And there's the Great British Batting Collapse. To be fair, I wouldn't be surprised if they've basically been told to go out there and slog it from here on. Not much reason not to.

mclem

Tactically: It's tea, it makes sense to declare right now. But romantically, they're just 12 runs away from beating England's highest-ever innings total, that's got to be tempting. Then there's Bell's potential for a triple-century on top of that...

I think the biggest risk to England right now is the fact that there's so many tempting reasons to keep playing rather than maximising the time they need to get India out. But that said, just how long *do* they need to get India out? Have they lasted a full day this series yet?

artist

Banned
tri_willy said:
although india havnt had their best lineup imo, england may take the no.1 ranking from them after this series. under flowers guidance, they have improved immensely, like how gary kirsten was great to india... good to see cook among the runs again, 2 poor tests so far and he gets another ton, well done lad
India deserve this really, cant always rely on individuals. Sehwag being the prime example :D

mclem

It probably won't happen, but it's just about within reach: If India get fewer than 126 runs, it'll be the largest non-Timeless innings victory.

I think I've finally started to understand how cricket works, I know the world cup ended and the IPL season is over, so I was wondering what cricket is currently being played around the world now either league or international based? Much like soccer I hope to learn more about the sport because it seems fun to watch and its also a great way to find common ground in social discussions and business relations, by showing and being reasonably knowledge about a sport not really popular in the US by extremely popular in India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and many other parts of Africa, Asia, and the Pacific. People appreciate if you take the time to learn a little of their culture.

Meadows

Banned
It's worth noting that, predominantly, Cricket is a Summer sport so there it's only really played for 9 or 10 months a year worldwide (summer in the Northern Hemisphere = winter in the Southern Hemisphere and vice-versa).

I suggest you pick an international team to follow since the US probably don't even play. Canada play in One Day and 20/20 tournaments but aren't really competitive, plus OD/20/20 are shite, test cricket is the real game.

England are, pound for pound, without doubt, the best team in the world at the moment, making a slightly understrength, but still solid India team look like a park team so you might want to go with them.

Meadows said:
It's worth noting that, predominantly, Cricket is a Summer sport so there it's only really played for 9 or 10 months a year worldwide (summer in the Northern Hemisphere = winter in the Southern Hemisphere and vice-versa).
I got that impression when looking around today on the net.

Meadows said:
I suggest you pick an international team to follow since the US probably don't even play. Canada play in One Day and 20/20 tournaments but aren't really competitive, plus OD/20/20 are shite, test cricket is the real game.

England are, pound for pound, without doubt, the best team in the world at the moment, making a slightly understrength, but still solid India team look like a park team so you might want to go with them.
I was planning to get up and watch the India-England Test, but I have no clue where the hell it as in the US on Verizon either on TV or streaming via ESPN or something.

Top Bottom