• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Meadows

Banned
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
So in test cricket, each team bats just once, right?

Shame the current match match looks like it will be rain delayed.

Nah, they bat twice. Any more questions just fire away!

Window

Watching India play like this is absolutely embarrassing. Probably the worst I've seen them do across a series. Hopefully the batting atleast clicks in this game (100th 100..) because the bowling has no hope whatsoever.

mclem

It's a little cruel, but I'm thinking that one of England's goals should be to prevent Tendulkar's 100th 100. I accept it's nasty, but it's also no small achievement to stop him getting any century in an entire series.

Meadows

Banned
mclem said:
It's a little cruel, but I'm thinking that one of England's goals should be to prevent Tendulkar's 100th 100. I accept it's nasty, but it's also no small achievement to stop him getting any century in an entire series.

We should just bat for 5 days IMO. 1780-7!

mclem

India having to take the follow-on would rather sum up this test series. If they can get within 200 and avoid the follow-on, they might just be able to scrape a draw unless Strauss is very bold.

If India *do* avoid the follow-on, I think England's second innings setting them a target of exactly 300 would be suitable cheeky.

Meadows

Banned
Sharma (night-watchman) has gone, 95-5.

For Manos: a night-watchman is a player that the batting team put in right before the end of the day to protect the best players from having to face being bowled at in deteriorating light (as the sun goes down). The night-watchman's job is to defend every ball until the end of the day's play and then to hit it as much as possible in the morning to either score a lot of runs cheaply or get out to make way for the better batsmen. Most night-watchmen are bowlers who have only a little bit of batting skill (so are sacrificial lambs basically).

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
India might never reach 300 this series; embarrassing. The only players who shouldn't be hugely embarrassed after this series are Dravid (who has been my favourite Indian batsman for years) and Praveen Kumar, who would be fantastic in a semi-competent bowling line up.

mclem

vcassano1 said:
India might never reach 300 this series; embarrassing. The only players who shouldn't be hugely embarrassed after this series are Dravid (who has been my favourite Indian batsman for years) and Praveen Kumar, who would be fantastic in a semi-competent bowling line up.

As a *player*, I think Dhoni's done adequately well, a few slipups but generally he's been a solid performer.

Of course, that's just regarding him as a rank-and-file member, not taking into account his responsibilities as captain.

Glad Bopara got the chance to put some runs on the board. Psychologically that'll be a boost.

Meadows

Banned
India looking better today, and by better I mean not wholly terrible. Dravid hit a nice century (according to the BBC Live Feed).

211-6

Once Dravid goes, I reckon they'll collapse, unless the tail offers anything.

For Manos:

The Tail, or Tail-end, are the last 4 or 5 batsmen on the team, who don't bat as their main job, but are merely bowlers who are called into action due to necessity.

mclem

It was pointed out last Test that Cook was on the field for the entire match. I wonder if Dravid can manage the same, he's on the right track.

For Manos:

The Tail, or Tail-end, are the last 4 or 5 batsmen on the team, who don't bat as their main job, but are merely bowlers who are called into action due to necessity.

...although that's a little confusing in this particular test match because Gambhir - a more established batsman - is batting late in this innings; he couldn't bat at his usual spot due to injury.

Ashes

Banned
Don't see how its confusing; he isn't batting as a lower order batsmen. Kind of like a tail ender who bats in the Nightwatchmen space up the order.

PS. I would disagree with the '4 or 5' thing though. Being a batsmen/bowler aren't mutually exclusive things... :p

Meadows

Banned
Tendulkar out for 91! YES, India's salty tears nourish me.

Mishra out too, now if we get a bit of a collapse going then we'll have a game on our hands!

mclem

Mishra out too, now if we get a bit of a collapse going then we'll have a game on our hands!
TO be fair, I think we already had a game on our hands - if anything, the collapse is taking the game *out* of our hands, the only real question now is whether India could force England to bat again. And now I'm really not sure they can.

Meadows

Banned
Says a lot about India's batting this series:

Raina 0
Dhoni 3
Gambhir* 2
Singh 0
Sharma* 0

edit:

"India have lost 5 (wickets) for 7 (runs)"

mclem

Meadows said:
Says a lot about India's batting this series:

Raina 0
Dhoni 3
Gambhir* 2
Singh 0
Sharma* 0

A wee bit harsh on Gambhir and Sharma, really, given they've only been *in* for two overs!

Edit: Ooh, wait, Gambhir's been in a little longer. He has only faced 20 balls, though!

Meadows

Banned
mclem said:
A wee bit harsh on Gambhir and Sharma, really, given they've only been *in* for two overs!

Edit: Ooh, wait, Gambhir's been in a little longer. He has only faced 20 balls, though!

I guess, but the scorecard just looked really striking!

beast786

bhangra.gif

4-0

with 2 X inning defeat.

Being a pakistan fan. I am living off England success.

bhangra.gif

Meadows

Banned
A lot of talk around about how the only reason England are on top is because other countries are caring less and less about cricket (apart from the sub-continent ofc). I have a friend from New Zealand who puts their worsening ranking down to the fact people are more interested in rugby or football.

Think there's anything in it?

Window

Meadows said:
A lot of talk around about how the only reason England are on top is because other countries are caring less and less about cricket (apart from the sub-continent ofc). I have a friend from New Zealand who puts their worsening ranking down to the fact people are more interested in rugby or football.

Think there's anything in it?

I can certainly see that as a reason for NZ not doing that well since having lived there I can hardly recall any coverage of cricket or talk of it among people at all. Although that certainly doesn't apply to other countries although it could be argued that 20-20/the IPL has diverted many cricketers attention away from test matches and England probably has an advantage here due to the fact that the IPL and county season overlap (I think?) and most English cricketers stick to county which is a better environment for picking up key test match skills. Not sure how you can hold that against them though.

Meadows

Banned
Hmm, yeah it has been pointed to that the IPL could have killed the Indian game. They just seemed completely off, the only person who gave anything resembling a good performance was Dravid.

Hopefully we can get a bit more competition from the sub-continent in years to come.

Meadows said:
Hmm, yeah it has been pointed to that the IPL could have killed the Indian game. They just seemed completely off, the only person who gave anything resembling a good performance was Dravid.

Hopefully we can get a bit more competition from the sub-continent in years to come.

They focused too much on one day and 20/20.

params7

Banned
beast786 said:
bhangra.gif

4-0

with 2 X inning defeat.

bhangra.gif

lol I was wondering how many firecrackers were set off in Pakistan last test when India lost No.1 and today after the whitewash.

artist

Banned
beast786 said:
bhangra.gif

4-0

with 2 X inning defeat.

bhangra.gif
Awesome, but buddy worry about your own cricket. Too bad a lot of the test nations wont even come to your country .. lmao.

India deserved to lose and England deserved the no.1 ranking. So I have nothing to complain about the result. Regarding the lack of approach, attitude and what not India needs a lot to work on to face Australia down under. They're not the best team but still with the way India's playing, even Pakistan or Bangladesh could beat India, lol.

Dhoni needs to acknowledge that this was a disaster and the "its cool, its all we got" attitude needs to go.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
irfan said:
Dhoni needs to acknowledge that this was a disaster and the "its cool, its all we got" attitude needs to go.

I rather like Dhoni's approach. It's mature and sensible, and borne out by the results too. Like Boris Becker sort of said, it's a game, nobody died, it's not a disaster.

Might have been a bit different if this whitewash had happened on Indian pitches, but it didn't.

artist

Banned
phisheep said:
I rather like Dhoni's approach. It's mature and sensible, and borne out by the results too. Like Boris Becker sort of said, it's a game, nobody died, it's not a disaster.

Might have been a bit different if this whitewash had happened on Indian pitches, but it didn't.
Thats all good but its time to wake up to reality and smell the shit. Just repeating "its all we got", wont suffice.

irfan said:
Thats all good but its time to wake up to reality and smell the shit. Just repeating "its all we got", wont suffice.

They should just make Kumble head of BCCI.

Also

1) No test series till two months after IPL. (Actually, it should be the other way around. No IPL within a two month window of a Test series)

2) Practice matches. At least 3 practice matches as part of every tour before the first official test.

Unfortunately, that is not going to happen.

Top Bottom