• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Grug

simon-katich_1499372c.jpg

Wouldn't have happened on his watch.

Grug

I love Hussey.

The only guy playing with some pride on the baggy green cap. He's not going to cower and duck and dodge like the top order did. He may get out, but he's going to do so while attacking.

Ponting is already up there but a few lucky things going his way has made his captaincy look way better then it ever was (namely having Warne and Mcgrath on his team). Clarke would have looked just as good with that team.

I love Hussey.

The only guy playing with some pride on the baggy green cap. He's not going to cower and duck and dodge like the top order did. He may get out, but he's going to do so while attacking.

How is that any better? Hussey just keeps playing like sh*t (his average is plummeting and has actually went below 50 now) and he is still doing the same thing. It would be nice if one of them could actually play a steadying innings then these collapses wouldn't keep happening.

Grug

How is that any better? Hussey just keeps playing like sh*t (his average is plummeting and has actually went below 50 now) and he is still doing the same thing. It would be nice if one of them could actually play a steadying innings then these collapses wouldn't keep happening.

Because in the context of this innings, no one is asking questions of the bowlers. The top order allowed themselves to be dictated to. I'm not advocating that he plays a Twenty20 innings, but someone has to seize the initiative back or it's going to get even uglier. Need to score runs to force India to set a more conservative field or the innings will never get going.

50 is still a very handy test average btw. Fair to say that harsh call in the first innings fucked his average Tony.

artist

Banned
Clarke will go down as Australia's worst ever captain. He already is, but history hasnt recognised it yet.
Brofist.

Good fightback by Mussey & Punter combo.

Indian collapse was partly good bowling and partly poor shot selection. So far Australian wickets in the 2nd innings have all been poor shot selection - inside edges. Still Australia's day so far.

And Salazar, awesome gifs. Keep it up.

master15

Interesting comment I gleamed from cricinfo talking about the states of both teams and it's unlikely that any team may dominate the series or indeed test match and is likely to seesaw back and forth.

Game is right on the edge, if India get any wickets after tea they could rattle Australia very cheaply here. And if if these two can make it to close of play then they could mount a challenging score for Indians.

master15

I believe in ponting century coming up

Commentators curse! I swear everytime I've seen Pointing in last few innings, the mockers have been put on him by someone saying how good he looks and how he is in line to score a century only to get out next ball.

I remember before Hayden retired same thing was happening and I sweat Tony G would do the same in his last 2-3 innings.

Because in the context of this innings, no one is asking questions of the bowlers. The top order allowed themselves to be dictated to. I'm not advocating that he plays a Twenty20 innings, but someone has to seize the initiative back or it's going to get even uglier. Need to score runs to force India to set a more conservative field or the innings will never get going.

That's fair enough if it's just a strategy for this game. However when he is consistently throwing away his wicket you have to start asking questions.

50 is still a very handy test average btw. Fair to say that harsh call in the first innings fucked his average Tony.

50 is a great test average. Problem is his was much higher and is in free fall now. At this rate he won't be finishing his career with an average anywhere near 50.

Not sure why you called me Tony?

Yagharek

So a few months ago I was watching Fire in babylon (Great cricket doco) and listening hearing Grieg's infamous quote of making the West Indies "grovel" and watching the aftermath was pretty glorious stuff.

The West Indies didnt lose a test series for 15 years after that, right?

master15

The West Indies didnt lose a test series for 15 years after that, right?

I think it begun from 1980 there 15 year stretch of not loosing a series begun. It was pretty astounding stuff.

I mean the residual feeling the Windies faced is sort of the comeuppance Australia have gone through for last 3 odd years after their stretch of dominance.

Grug

Yeah except I didn't call him Tony and instead was just making a pop culture reference.

But then again, desperately creating drama and angst where there is no need for it.... that's irfan for you. :)

Yagharek

I think it begun from 1980 there 15 year stretch of not loosing a series begun. It was pretty astounding stuff.

I mean the residual feeling the Windies faced is sort of the comeuppance Australia have gone through for last 3 odd years after their stretch of dominance.

Pretty much, dominance of that sort cannot last forever. Mind you, Australia came agonisingly close in '91 at Adelaide to ending the WI run.

Though the reason the West Indies declined so fast was apparently due to the NBA. Keep in mind the early 1990s were the peak of the Chicago Bulls and a lot of kids who might have played cricket went towards basketball instead.

Grug

Curtly Ambrose vs Steve Waugh was one of my favourite rivalries.

Shit yeah. Was talking about that with my brother-in-law on Xmas day.

Ambrose trying to take Waugh's head off. Waugh just wobbles the head and says "Is that all you've got big fella?"

20 seconds later Richie Richardson is trying to pull Ambrose away.

Glory days of cricket.

master15

What's that like 5 50's in the last 4 test matches for Punter?
The million dollar question can he go on for himself and Aussie?

Cricket was never more fun and compelling than in those days.

Shit man, I remember as a young child watching Ambrose steam in and just demolish our lineup. Still seeing Boonie in flight with his pull shot was a delight.

It's kind of weird even though I adore great fast bowling I was always more interested in the likes of Wasim, Waqar and Donald than Ambrose or Walsh. I don't know why...

Yagharek

Shit yeah. Was talking about that with my brother-in-law on Xmas day.

Ambrose trying to take Waugh's head off. Waugh just wobbles the head and says "Is that all you've got big fella?"

20 seconds later Richie Richardson is trying to pull Ambrose away.

Glory days of cricket.

How good was the WI batting lineup. Might be memory bleeding across years here, but Richardson, Haynes, Richards, Lara ... is there any lineup that could possibly be more imposing than that?

Grug

I used to love it when Ambrose batted and other bowlers would give him a taste of his own medicine.

He had a bat the size of an oak tree but couldn't use it very well.

Top Bottom