• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Rezbit

Even though he usually talks shit I do agree with Healy that McDermott is obviously doing great things with these Aussie bowlers. If only Langer could help the batters more.

master15

Even though he usually talks shit I do agree with Healy that McDermott is obviously doing great things with these Aussie bowlers. If only Langer could help the batters more.

Eh, partially agree but I think India batsmen have been doing more of the damage with shitty shot selection in the 2nd innings (Outside Dravid and Gambirs dismisal)

Rezbit

Aside from a few on the pads they've been hitting a good consistent length. This was missing in the debacle last year at least!

Grug

Yeah, the bowling as a whole is markedly improved.

Better at hitting a consistent line, building pressure, working in partnerships.

Yagharek

Siddle has definitely stepped up. I wasnt a fan of his technique but always a fan of his attitude (like Phil Hughes I guess). Seems that he has really picked up though this test.

Bowling wise, things are starting to look better for the side, but still not settled. At least there is a number of options and some good young pacemen coming through.

Batting is a big issue. Ponting and Hussey have probably just stayed the executions coming their way (but will be retiring soon). Haddin is stomping on thin ice now. If Paine wasnt injured, he would be in. Wade would be very close to getting selected now you would think though.

Marsh was unlucky. Cowan did good in one innings. Clarke needs to lift his game something shocking. Warner might be injured. I'm still not convinced he is test match material based on his rash shots.

Yagharek

Yes, Watson will be instant selection when he's not injured. Depends on who of Marsh or Warner does best as to who he replaces. Katich should be considered too, but won't because Clarke is a dick.

Rezbit

Ideally we'd have a stronger top order so Watto could come in at 6 and blast a bit. Still better use opening at this point though.

How is Ashwin still in lol.

master15

Merv Hughes surely?

hughes.jpg

"Tickets please"

Window

Nah, maybe a bit over the past 5 years but just because they score runs well in India doesn't mean it's a flat track. They're spinning wickets just not accomodating of fast bowling (though yeah they have been flat many times over the past 5 years but that's been the criticism for pitches all over the world for that period).

Grug

"Flat track bullies" has become a wider term now. It doesn't necessarily mean a flat pitch anymore. It's a wider term for teams that demolish inferior opponents but fail against genuine contenders.

Window

Perharps but that certainly doesn't make sense given the term itself contains the world 'track'. Besides this horror year, India did quite well over the last two years (09/10) where they drew or won overseas series and had been winning other Indian series as well.

Rezbit

That's more like it. No point bombarding a tail ender with short balls when those full deliveries are darting around getting good batsmen out.

Rezbit

I am out of the loop but do we really have any quality spin options at test match level?

Lyon has started his 7 matches with 22 wickets at 25. He'll be hanging around for a while.

Gets his token wicket. Well done Australian bowlers. Batters, better next time!

Window

Think Ponting may get Man of the Match to boost his confidence. Would be well deserved too considering the batting scores. Will probably be Pattison though.

Top Bottom