• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Yagharek

So Pattinson surely has to be one of the most exciting young fast bowlers coming through now. Let's hope this is just the beginning of a great test career.

tri_willy

selectors will def give him a go next test, gambhir/kohli may pave the way... bloody pattinson on brilliant form once again!!! tendulkar gone!

Was hoping for a better series than this. International test cricket is in a bit of a slump at the moment imo. I rarely feel like i'm watching high quality cricket (although Australias bowlers are looking very promising).

Also i wonder how this bodes for Mitchell Johnsons career? I mean he was already shithouse but surely the bowling lineup doing this well without him isn't a good sign. Add on the fact that he is in his 30s and coming back from injury and i think his prospects are limited.

Fredescu

Was hoping for a better series than this. International test cricket is in a bit of a slump at the moment imo. I rarely feel like i'm watching high quality cricket (although Australias bowlers are looking very promising).
Any test series where the ball dominates is a great series. Only three innings over 600 last year! International test cricket is pretty great right now.

Yagharek

Also i wonder how this bodes for Mitchell Johnsons career? I mean he was already shithouse but surely the bowling lineup doing this well without him isn't a good sign. Add on the fact that he is in his 30s and coming back from injury and i think his prospects are limited.

Hopefully he doesnt get back into the test side, because he wasnt that good in recent years. Last time he played well was vs S.Africa maybe 3-4 years ago. Since then, he has been a better batsman.

Grug

Any test series where the ball dominates is a great series. Only three innings over 600 last year! International test cricket is pretty great right now.

Yep. Speaking as someone who was handy with the ball and absolutely rubbish with the bat, this is my kind of test series.

As for Mitch Johnson... screw him. Don't need him.

I absolutely agree with that and i think it's great that teams no longer easily rack up massive scores. I still like to see high quality matches and in general i think the overall quality of cricket at the moment isn't that high.

Hopefully he doesnt get back into the test side, because he wasnt that good in recent years. Last time he played well was vs S.Africa maybe 3-4 years ago. Since then, he has been a better batsman.

Yeah he bowled well a few times and then became undumpable. I think it's really just because he is so much more marketable than Australias other bowlers. Even when he is going shit you still see his face all over everything.

Yagharek

Yeah he bowled well a few times and then became undumpable. I think it's really just because he is so much more marketable than Australias other bowlers. Even when he is going shit you still see his face all over everything.

Pretty much. Hell, they picked the captain of the team based on marketability.

Yagharek

I'm really convinced that captain material is someone with the kind of attitude that say steve waugh or allan border had. I think Ponting was a good captain, but at the same time it was time for a new one maybe a year or two ago. Katich and Hussey would have made good captains imo, from the list that was there at the time.

artist

Banned
This is probably the worst form that the Indian batting has been in the last 10 years IMO. At this rate, the 5-0 by England is not looking like a great achievement. :p

Yagharek

This is probably the worst form that the Indian batting has been in the last 10 years IMO. At this rate, the 5-0 by England is not looking like a great achievement. :p

To be fair, England are a step ahead of everyone right now. India are just unlucky Australia's new found bowlers are quite alright.

artist

Banned
To be fair, England are a step ahead of everyone right now.
They are, just that trouncing India 5-0 doesnt look as great an achievement when it seems like even the 4th ranked team can repeat it now.
India are just unlucky Australia's new found bowlers are quite alright.
Where was this opinion before the first test? lol Where is that troll that keeps underplaying Australia's chances ..

Bowled out for 191. Wait! Why is Hadding still playing? lol

Grug

Where was this opinion before the first test? lol Where is that troll that keeps underplaying Australia's chances ..

I think everyone is rightly suprised by the sudden form increase of our pace attack. No shame in being down on them before this series.

Craig McDermott's influence has clearly been telling.

Grug

The continual batting collapses don't really bother me because it will be the only way we find the answers to the problem.

Sadly, I thought Marsh was one of those answers. Maybe not. He's going to be mentally damaged now. Needs a good knock in the second innings.

Rezbit

Imagine what the bowlers must be doing in the sheds. They must be so pissed off that our batters are so utterly inept. They really do look like any ball might get them out.

Marsh has turned to absolute shit, what happened?

Grug

Everybody forgot Warner's 123* recently while everyone around him crumbled?

One swallow does not a summer make. Limited overs cricket is in his blood. Got a good ball this time, but overall, his woodcutter style is going to harm him more often than it helps him at test level.

snoopen

I rate Warner better than Marsh at the moment. Marsh is only good on slow pitches, If Warner can add in more defence and more consistency he will stick around.

Being back Katich.

artist

Banned
One game vs New Zealand.

Warner needs more time in 4 day domestic games.
Warner looks like he's in-form and its best to play him rather than someone based on their last name.

If he scores big, it will be in quick time. He's like the Sehwag of Australia.

Yagharek

Bring back Katich.

Nothing against Watson, but a Cowan-Katich opening partnership would be a nice dose of stability. Watson in at 3.

Khawaja, Hughes, Marsh and Warner into Sheffield Shield and maybe play some English County Cricket instead of IPL if theyre serious.

Dead Man

Nothing against Watson, but a Cowan-Katich opening partnership would be a nice dose of stability. Watson in at 3.

Khawaja, Hughes, Marsh and Warner into Sheffield Shield and maybe play some English County Cricket instead of IPL if theyre serious.

Yeah, Katich needs to be back, Watson needs to up near the top somewhere, but maybe not opening.

artist

Banned
Also LMFAO Healy got owned by Slater when he was saying bullshit like "oh it wouldnt have been out if DRS was in play". Slater put that fucker in his shitty little place.

Grug

FU Cowan.

He looks like an arrogant little prick with the ego of Ponting.

Stay classy irf.

Shame he couldn't put on a better show for his mum watching in the crowd - currently dying from a degenerative brain illness.

How bad are the top orders of both sides though. It's not a bad wicket, but none of them can seem to cope when the ball is pitched up.

Nice bowling by Khan nonetheless.

Salazar

gglqS.gif

Well, this innings isn't roaring ahead.

Top Bottom