• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Grug

steamroller.jpg

Thanks for coming!

Well what did Australia have for lunch then?

Also smh at the Butter Chicken remark.

2 matches in a row that India have lost by more than an innings, when was the last time that happened?

artist

Banned
There can be ONLY one man-of-the-match candidate.

Warner outscored all of India in both innings.
And all of his team-mates combined

artist

Banned
Yeah, I posted that he should be sacked as a test captain, even dropped from tests after he admitted to quitting tests in a few years. Why wait till then? Get in Dinesh Karthik or any other genuine batsman wicket-keeper.

Dhoni's lack of hunger reminds me of Jadeja's captaincy - "and no shit was given" attitude needs to go after every loss. Kumble was a 10x better captain and Ganguly was probably the best.

Yeah, I posted that he should be sacked as a test captain, even dropped from tests after he admitted to quitting tests in a few years. Why wait till then? Get in Dinesh Karthik or any other genuine batsman wicket-keeper.

Dhoni's lack of hunger reminds me of Jadeja's captaincy - "and no shit was given" attitude needs to go after every loss. Kumble was a 10x better captain and Ganguly was probably the best.

ganguly was fighter. he would eat the team alive lol. Result probably would be same though.

artist

Banned
It was no cakewalk for India. You're up against it trying to devalue 329*.
India threw away the golden opportunity there, apart from the majority of first session, the pitch was flat. The three Australian wickets that fell on the first day were all poor shots rather than some unplayable deliveries from Zaheer.

Scoring a 329* or even a 400* like Lara on a dead pitch isnt extra-ordinary. Which is probably why Lara values his other fighting knocks on bouncy pitches more. What Warner did in the first innings, he literally won the match for Australia.

Grug

Scoring a 329* or even a 400* like Lara on a dead pitch isnt extra-ordinary. Which is probably why Lara values his other fighting knocks on bouncy pitches more. What Warner did in the first innings, he literally won the match for Australia.

I dare say some extremely disciplined bowling by Australia enabled Warner to bat with minimal pressure. Team game and all.

artist

Banned
I dare say some extremely disciplined bowling by Australia enabled Warner to bat with minimal pressure. Team game and all.
Not sure what the half-logic is there .. Warner still had to get runs. His spot is as much uncertain as Marsh's.

edit: By the same logic, Warner laid a pretty fucking good foundation for the Australian middle order and yet their squandered. So yeah, I would even credit Warner for part of Cowan's 70 odd. He attacked the Indian pacers so much that they started spraying all over.

Rezbit

What a win. To win by an innings after making 369 is pretty fucking bad though. Good bounce back after being beaten by NZ of all teams.

India very disappointing. Hopefully the younger guys in the ODI series show a bit more flair. Wonder if we've seen the end of Laxman?

India threw away the golden opportunity there, apart from the majority of first session, the pitch was flat. The three Australian wickets that fell on the first day were all poor shots rather than some unplayable deliveries from Zaheer.

Scoring a 329* or even a 400* like Lara on a dead pitch isnt extra-ordinary.Which is probably why Lara values his other fighting knocks on bouncy pitches more. What Warner did in the first innings, he literally won the match for Australia.

That's why I think most sub-continent players are over rated. Every second pitch they play on is dead.

That's why I think most sub-continent players are over rated. Every second pitch they play on is dead.

Lol so even when i showed you this is bullshit you still go on with it. It isn't true with Tendulkar and with Dravid his average is lower in India than his career average. The only player this really applies to is Dhoni (maybe you could include Sehwag but he goes ok overseas). When this is actually true everyone acknowledges it just like they do with Dhoni. The top Indian batsmen aren't overated at all.

I get the impression that Dhoni isn't as upset as he should be.

Overpaid. Lacking hunger.

I don't know how he is keeping his spot. Maybe they need to stand him down from tests and just leave him in one dayers for a while.

Lol so even when i showed you this is bullshit you still go on with it. It isn't true with Tendulkar and with Dravid his average is lower in India than his career average. The only player this really applies to is Dhoni (maybe you could include Sehwag but he goes ok overseas). When this is actually true everyone acknowledges it just like they do with Dhoni. The top Indian batsmen aren't overated at all.

I don't know how he is keeping his spot. Maybe they need to stand him down from tests and just leave him in one dayers for a while.

So it's also bullshit they haven't played on a lot more dead pitches than someone from outside of India?

If irfan is discounting clarkies triple century, there are a lot of Centuries of the Indians to be discounted. More than half of SRT's centuries were in the sub-continent...

artist

Banned
Who said that?

Edit: I'd really be keen to hear your definition of "dead pitch" as well.
Sub-continent pitches turn. A dead pitch is one which offers no assistance to the bowlers and is a one-sided contest.
If irfan is discounting clarkies triple century, there are a lot of Centuries of the Indians to be discounted. More than half of SRT's centuries were in the sub-continent...
I'm saying Warner's 180 is more valuable in the context of the game.

You really are a bonehead, done with you on this topic.

artist

Banned
Some good news for India finally ..

Dhoni banned for one test - will miss the Adelaide test. He can spend more time shopping with his wife at last.

Tendulkar made himself available for the ODI tri-series. Looks like he's in vengeful mood. Awesome.

Sub-continent pitches turn. A dead pitch is one which offers no assistance to the bowlers and is a one-sided contest.

The first part of your definition is correct, the second part is completely incorrect. Dead pitches are typically draws and bore fests which both teams can find run scoring easy.

You don't get a lot of draws in Australia, sth Africa or England (unless they are rain affected).

You get a disproportionately large number of draws in the sub continents, due to the larger number of dead pitches played on.

Heres an article from an Indian who writes on cric info:

cricinfo said:
Comparisons may be odious at times, but in certain cases they're extremely instructive. Consider this. Over the past five years, 27 Tests have been played in Australia. Only two have been drawn. In South Africa, only three of 29 games did not end decisively. In that same period, Sri Lanka have hosted 22 games. Only four have gone the distance. And India? Ahmedabad was the 24th match in the last 60 months, and the 11th to end in a draw.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/436009.html

irfan said:
I'm saying Warner's 180 is more valuable in the context of the game.

You really are a bonehead, done with you on this topic.

Clarke's knock was as match winning as Warner's, but Warner's was far more entertaining in my opinion. You can't differentiate centuries where the batsmen scored more than the opposition did in a whole innings of the same match.

You were were trying to devalue clarkies innings. The fact was, the wicket was far from dead.

Back to the name calling for you.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

Turn doesn't necessarily make for a good bowling pitch, not even for spinners. Bounce is the attribute practically every bowler desires. That is the problem that some sub-continental pitches have. Sri Lankan pitches always seem to be the worst, though that could be selective memory.

So it's also bullshit they haven't played on a lot more dead pitches than someone from outside of India?

If they average as high or higher outside of India than it is simply irrelevant. The top Indian batsmen perform well overseas which makes this point mean very little.

I'm not going to defend Irfan it's pretty obvious what his agenda is. Coming up with bias of your own isn't the way to correct him though.

Turn doesn't necessarily make for a good bowling pitch, not even for spinners. Bounce is the attribute practically every bowler desires. That is the problem that some sub-continental pitches have. Sri Lankan pitches always seem to be the worst, though that could be selective memory.

I agree with the bounce point.

Dead pitches are typically low bouncing, which seem like they turn less as they are not travelling as far as a comparably pitched ball on a bouncy deck.

So why don't touring spinners prosper more in Australia? My thoughts are they pitch the ball too short giving too much room to the batsmen as it bounces higher. Also, the quicks take more wickets with the new ball, hence less chances for spinners to get wickets as they are bowled less.

I think the problem is a lot of the best foreign spinners are from the sub continent and just don't know how to take advantage of the bounce. Although even someone like Kumble who used bounce much more effectively than most spinners did great in India and terrible in Australia so i'm not really sure of the reason.

I think the problem is a lot of the best foreign spinners are from the sub continent and just don't know how to take advantage of the bounce. Although even someone like Kumble who used bounce much more effectively than most spinners did great in India and terrible in Australia so i'm not really sure of the reason.

Yeah I think their problem is that they use their sub continent length, as they pitch it shorter in the sub continent to give it more time to move laterally.

It sits up like a long hop and Aussies can deal with it easier.

Hence why i think they need to pitch it up more.

Top Bottom