• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

What's up with England? They look abysmal. Also that shot from Pieterson is just unaccaptable. Hauling out like that for a duck when your team is in that much trouble (and after he failed for any runs in the first innings).

I'm looking forward to the SA v England series. I definitely think SA has the best team on paper but whether they show up or not is another question.

Still i'm happy to see pakistan playing so well.

I am looking forward to SA touring Australia in Nov. Should be a real test.

Oh shit i didn't even realise they were coming out this year. So yeah can't wait for that. If there is a test at the SCG i might try and get down there this year.

Edit: I know India is touring now and i would have loved to go see Tendulkar one last time but it wasn't really possible for me.

Rezbit

14 hardly seems worth trotting out there for! Would laugh if there was a wicket.

Great win by Pakistan though, wow. Get the feeling the Poms are going to come out firing in the next game.

Yagharek

Cricket in Tests is starting to get a lot more interesting. Let's see:

Australia are even with South Africa in the last (short) series
NZ equalled Australia in the last short series
India are rubbish away but strong at home
England are fallible
Sri Lanka won a test vs SA
Pakistan have come back and landed a very big scalp

I don't think Ive ever seen the top teams as even as they seem right now. Hopefully West Indies put in a solid showing when Australia tour in a couple of months.

South Africa v England and South Africa v Australia will be landmark series. What else is coming up?

"Reposing full faith in the beleaguered Indian cricket team, BCCI chief N Srinivasan has said the side can still beat any top team in the world and needs a little bit of luck to turn it around in Australia. "

hahahahhahahahhahaaha fucking blind people. Reason why they are so bad.

beast786

bhangra.gif

Great 10 WKT win against the #1 team in test. I am really proud of the team.

The past year we have completely change the dynamics of the team from pace depending to now spin depending. I gave them a lot of credit to be able to change on the fly.

Worst part is we could have best of the both. UGH.

Looking forward to the next test. I know the brits feel embarrassed and come back with everything they got.

Oh shit i didn't even realise they were coming out this year. So yeah can't wait for that. If there is a test at the SCG i might try and get down there this year.

Edit: I know India is touring now and i would have loved to go see Tendulkar one last time but it wasn't really possible for me.

Is the SA tour only three tests before christmas?

I know that they wont be playing the boxing day test (due to Australia not wanting to play a boxing day test in Sth Africa) here so I doubt SA would be playing the new years one in Sydney.

Unless the schedule has moved the Sydney test or Sydney is getting two tests, I doubt SA will play in Sydney

This is all I could find about the 2012/13 fixtures:
November South Africa tour of Australia, 3 tests South Africa in Australia 2012
December Sri Lanka tour of Australia, 3 tests, 5 ODI, 2 T20s Sri Lanka in Australia 2012

Id guess Brisbane, Hobart, Perth for Sth Africa
Melb (boxing day), Sydney (new years), Adelaide (aus day) for Sri Lanka

edit: Also sort of works due to the larger SL populations in Sydney and Melb, with large SA population in Brisbane and Perth I suppose..

edit 2:
Interesting article on how the money from India has led to so many Aus-Ind series lately, and many more to come....
11 times in nine summers, India have toured Australia or the Australian team has gone there......But 13 months from now they'll be playing four more Tests in India, then another four Tests two summers later in Australia, with seven one-dayers and a T20 the season before that, and an additional seven one-dayers and two T20s the season after, and that's not counting one-off clashes in World Cups, Champions Trophies, World Twenty20 carnivals, yet-to-be-named insurance company cups and anything else India's major partner or even India itself plans to sneak into the schedule and hasn't forewarned us about.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/550030.html

Is the SA tour only three tests before christmas?

I know that they wont be playing the boxing day test (due to Australia not wanting to play a boxing day test in Sth Africa) here so I doubt SA would be playing the new years one in Sydney.

Unless the schedule has moved the Sydney test or Sydney is getting two tests, I doubt SA will play in Sydney

This is all I could find about the 2012/13 fixtures:
November South Africa tour of Australia, 3 tests South Africa in Australia 2012
December Sri Lanka tour of Australia, 3 tests, 5 ODI, 2 T20s Sri Lanka in Australia 2012

Id guess Brisbane, Hobart, Perth for Sth Africa
Melb (boxing day), Sydney (new years), Adelaide (aus day) for Sri Lanka

edit: Also sort of works due to the larger SL populations in Sydney and Melb, with large SA population in Brisbane and Perth I suppose..

edit 2:
Interesting article on how the money from India has led to so many Aus-Ind series lately, and many more to come....

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/550030.html

I could possibly get up to Brisbane to see a game. My GF and i were planning on heading to QLD for a holiday at the end of this year (although i doubt a game of cricket was going to be on the itinerary lol).

Kinda disappointing but it's only fair to spread the games around.

artist

Banned
Cricket in Tests is starting to get a lot more interesting. Let's see:

Australia are even with South Africa in the last (short) series
NZ equalled Australia in the last short series
India are rubbish away but strong at home
England are fallible
Sri Lanka won a test vs SA
Pakistan have come back and landed a very big scalp

I don't think Ive ever seen the top teams as even as they seem right now. Hopefully West Indies put in a solid showing when Australia tour in a couple of months.

South Africa v England and South Africa v Australia will be landmark series. What else is coming up?
True to an extent but I think SA and England are above the rest. SA routed Australia and SL for 40 odd recently, its no small feat. Plus SA arent always playing at full strength due to a bout of injuries, hopefully that fatty Kallis gets injured or retires quickly.
j/k monkey :p

England are rusty and dont seem that much into the game due to their recent successes, yes success gone to their heads. Their 0-5 loss against India also showed no real fight, sadly. And India's hardly good at the moment.

beast786

England are rusty and dont seem that much into the game due to their recent successes, yes success gone to their heads. Their 0-5 loss against India also showed no real fight, sadly. And India's hardly good at the moment.

England has been pathetic ODI team. It was no surprise of there pathetic ODI against India and everyone else.

Test is a different story. They are #1 in test. This was first time defending it's #1 ranking. If anything, there is more motivation to do that.

As strauss said. They simply got out played.

The type of bowling attack (3 world class spinners) England is facing is unmatched in the world right now. leading with the highest wicket taker in test past year.

I certainly hope England get a feel for the spin. Interesting match coming up if England can get their act together; hopefully they will show some defense of their number 1 title.

I'm quite frankly disappointed at how abysmal India are doing outside of the subcontinent, bowling has been especially disappointing with no real pace attack.

Test cricket is getting mighty interesting.

beast786

I certainly hope England get a feel for the spin. Interesting match coming up if England can get their act together; hopefully they will show some defense of their number 1 title.

It also shows how dominant Australia was the past decade.

it's nice to see all the team being so evenly matched

artist

Banned

I'm quite frankly disappointed at how abysmal India are doing outside of the subcontinent, bowling has been especially disappointing with no real pace attack.

England's current line-up has no major weakness against spin, they all play it decently except Bell :p Not sure if they will show fight in the next match (they wont lose the no.1 spot if they lose) cause their second innings was really piss poor and showed no character. Their bottom 5 outscored their top 5, twice. And I didnt see Ajmal was that difficult to play, they just played into his pre-match talk.

Wont be surprised if Aussies do some pre-match talk before the Ashes to pysch them out as well.

True to an extent but I think SA and England are above the rest. SA routed Australia and SL for 40 odd recently, its no small feat. [\QUOTE]

people seem to forget that Australia also took the last 9 SA wickets for 47 runs just before they were bowled out for 47....they are not far above the rest, if at all.

interesting stat from cricinfo:

Overseas teams in Asia (excl B'desh) since April 2001
Team Tests Won Lost Ratio
Australia 19 9 5 1.80
South Africa 17 3 7 0.42
England 18 1 8 0.12
Zimbabwe 5 0 5 0.00
New Zealand 10 0 4 0.00
West Indies 19 0 13 0.00

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/550154.html

This table shows how much more this England team needs to improve in Asia to start to be mentioned as one of the great teams (as they where recently listed on cricinfo).

beast786

England's current line-up has no major weakness against spin, they all play it decently except Bell :p Not sure if they will show fight in the next match (they wont lose the no.1 spot if they lose) cause their second innings was really piss poor and showed no character. Their bottom 5 outscored their top 5, twice. And I didnt see Ajmal was that difficult to play, they just played into his pre-match talk.

Wont be surprised if Aussies do some pre-match talk before the Ashes to pysch them out as well.

When you are playing against the highest wicket taker in test cricket and the best spin attack. If you are just decent against the spin, then you will lose by 10 wickets.

artist

Banned
interesting stat from cricinfo:
Overseas teams in Asia (excl B'desh) since April 2001
Throws stats in the trash.

This England came together in the last 2-3 years, its way, way too early before anyone starts comparing them to any of the previous teams.

And you would only look up stats from 2001 if you are an Aussie, Australian team was no.1 from 2003 to 2009. ROFLMAO what a great stat!!!

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Going out to watch brothers play drunken cricket in the Goldfield Ashes this weekend, should be ok.

The Goldfield Ashes

The Charters Towers Goldfield Ashes has been an amateur cricket carnival conducted over the long week-end in January since 1948 by the Charters Towers Cricket Association Incorporated (CTCA), and it is now the largest in the southern hemisphere.[7] Players ranging from regional and the country to play. Numbers in recent years have reached just shy of 200 teams. The event is of massive benefit for the town bringing in business for the entire region, especially the town's pubs and clubs. While the higher grades take it very seriously with awards and prizes given, the lower grades take to a more social view. Games involving drinking penalties and costume wearing are all part of the antics. In 2010, more teams were involved than ever. However, the competition did not reach the magic two hundred team only because of the lack of fields in the region. Many of the fields are concrete pitches on the properties of local families in the region.

Think there's over 200 this year, it's just old guy schoolies but with fewer girls...... lot's of strippers and stuff though.

Throws stats in the trash.

This England came together in the last 2-3 years, its way, way too early before anyone starts comparing them to any of the previous teams.

Hey, i dont rate them anywhere near the greatest but cricinfo does:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/greatestteams/content/story/538999.html

irfan said:
And you would only look up stats from 2001 if you are an Aussie, Australian team was no.1 from 2003 to 2009. ROFLMAO what a great stat!!!

I didn't look the stat up, it was compiled on cricnfo by ..... An Indian!

From 1982/3 to 2000

Australia in Asia: 9 losses, 5 wins, 11 draws (so many draws due to dead pitches I assume).

Add that on to the previous stat and you have 14 wins, 14 losses, ratio of 1.0 in the modern era (era since world series cricket)

So that includes the worst period of cricket in Australia's history, the early eighties, and we still have a win/loss ratio in Asia of 1.

No other country non-asian team is close to that.

In the same period (1982/3 to 2012) India in Asia is not brilliant either.
49 win, 32 losses, 45 draws (I'd love to know how many runs azarudin and tendulkar have scored in all those draws....).

That is only a win/loss ratio of 1.5 in Asia....worse than the Aussies since 2001 ha!

And Australia was no 1 well before 2003. That was when official rankings came in but since 1994 when we won in the windies, we were the best test team until 2008 ish.

Scary thing is, Australia is about to become no 1 in the next couple years again, and stay there for longer than a year because we can actually win matches overseas.

artist

Banned
<Irrelevant rubbish>
Dude, I'm not even going to touch that with a trillion foot pole ..

Discussion was about how even the teams were in the recent few months or last year. You are arguing incessantly on a tangent.

Anyway, Adventure and Window tried and failed to get you to understand simple stuff. Why am I even trying??? smh.

Dude, I'm not even going to touch that with a trillion foot pole ..

Discussion was about how even the teams were in the recent few months or last year. You are arguing incessantly on a tangent.

Anyway, Adventure and Window tried and failed to get you to understand simple stuff. Why am I even trying??? smh.

The discussion was about how even they are, but it was you who to put england And sth Africa above the rest and I disagreed.

Then I put up a stat from a article I was reading on cricinfo. The subject was changed at that point and you were commenting on that Table. I'm sorry if it confuses you when someone puts two unrelated thoughts in one post, to avoid a double post, and you automatically join the statements together to form one argument. It's your comprehension that is failing, maybe you should keep trying.

In regards to teams in Asia, Australia is actually really good and has been decent for a long, long time.

Being able to win away from home is what will always set a great team apart from a good one. The mentality of the bcci and a few of the players on the field last week (kohli and sharma) saying "wait till you get to India" isa mentality which will never make you a great team. You have to aim to win away, and then be able to actually do it.

artist

Banned
The discussion was about how even they are, but it was you who to put england And sth Africa above the rest and I disagreed.
And presented stats from 10 years ago?

If you are having a discussion about recent form of several teams, then you dont pick the stats from 10 years back. Got it now?

And presented stats from 10 years ago?

If you are having a discussion about recent form of several teams, then you dont pick the stats from 10 years back. Got it now?

No, I used the example that sa lost 9/47 just before we were bowled out for 47 to dispute that fact on recent form.

The stats were from an article I was reading on cricinfo and I thought they were interesting and it was an interesting read, hence I came to the forum to post it.

I made two completely unrelated statements but you confused them as one.

Got it now? Durr, lol, smh (whatever shorthand you write when you try to make an intelligent comment).

Yagharek

True to an extent but I think SA and England are above the rest. SA routed Australia and SL for 40 odd recently, its no small feat.

And Australia won the next test straight after it (vs SA). Thats no mean feat either.

Also, winning at home is easier than winning away. Irrespective of the ICC rankings, West Indies were #1 for about 15 years until Australia beat them in the Caribbean in 1995. Australia was the best team from that point until about 2007, when South Africa became the first team to beat Australia at home since about 1993 (West Indies). Although Australia won the return tour in S. Africa a few months later. That said, Australia had begun to decline after the 2005 Ashes series in England, and then after the retirements after 2007/8.

Since then, I dont think any team has asserted itself as the top team convincingly. England and South Africa have made the most convincing cases, and then India has had a bit of a crack at it (at home, mostly). At the moment though, it's all open for someone to step up.

And Australia won the next test straight after it (vs SA). Thats no mean feat either.

SA and AUS are the only team worth discussing. Obviously SA is my team but AUS are amazing too. I have almost 0% interest in other teams now. I am going to support Canada team too if they make it next world cup lol.

Yagharek

SA and AUS are the only team worth discussing. Obviously SA is my team but AUS are amazing too. I have almost 0% interest in other teams now. I am going to support Canada team too if they make it next world cup lol.

South Africa are a really good team, no questions. I guess the distinction I'm making is that while England/S. Africa are the top sides at the moment (alternating, it seems), neither of them have asserted the kind of dominance that Australia and previously the West Indies had done so.

Which is good, because it means we have an even ranked competition for the most part. But its also interesting because surely one of a few teams is on the verge of stepping up and establishing their own dynasty.

South Africa are a really good team, no questions. I guess the distinction I'm making is that while England/S. Africa are the top sides at the moment (alternating, it seems), neither of them have asserted the kind of dominance that Australia and previously the West Indies had done so.

Which is good, because it means we have an even ranked competition for the most part. But its also interesting because surely one of a few teams is on the verge of stepping up and establishing their own dynasty.

Australian team has been more dominant for longer time now. Even at their worse they are better than most lol. SA is like me moody but they are very fun to watch. I miss donald, klusner and jonty days though.

How good is Kallis, monkey? :p

Been so long between tests, think Adelaide might suit the Indians. Should be a close one.

Remember this one? :p http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxVNtuDKsds

Oh cricket, you crazy thing.

kallis is doing great man. Never remind of those matches man. I think I had a heart attack. Worse worse feeling. I think I was sick for a month lol. SA should have won it. It was their cup to win :( Look at their team man from 1999

1. Gary Kirsten
2. Herschelle Gibbs
3. Jacques Kallis
4. Daryll Cullinan
5. Hansie Cronje (c)
6. Derek Crookes
7. Shaun Pollock
8. Jonty Rhodes
9. Mark Boucher (wk)
10. Allan Donald
11. Dale Benkenstein
12. Nicky Boje
13. Lance Klusener
14. Steve Elworthy
15. Alan Dawson

Adelaide will be same I suppose. May be if the pitch is great we will see all four innings but result would be same. Indians are out mentally. They have been always too weak i think.

Look at their team man from 1999

1. Gary Kirsten
2. Herschelle Gibbs
3. Jacques Kallis
4. Daryll Cullinan
5. Hansie Cronje (c)
6. Derek Crookes
7. Shaun Pollock
8. Jonty Rhodes
9. Mark Boucher (wk)
10. Allan Donald
11. Dale Benkenstein
12. Nicky Boje
13. Lance Klusener
14. Steve Elworthy
15. Alan Dawson

24_01_pg18i.jpg

Oh, Donald. Gibbs, Kallis, Cronje, Pollock, Jonty motherfucking Rhodes, Boucher, Klusener - I still can't believe that team didn't make the final.

Top Bottom