• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

artist

Banned
And Australia won the next test straight after it (vs SA). Thats no mean feat either.

Also, winning at home is easier than winning away. Irrespective of the ICC rankings, West Indies were #1 for about 15 years until Australia beat them in the Caribbean in 1995. Australia was the best team from that point until about 2007, when South Africa became the first team to beat Australia at home since about 1993 (West Indies). Although Australia won the return tour in S. Africa a few months later. That said, Australia had begun to decline after the 2005 Ashes series in England, and then after the retirements after 2007/8.

Since then, I dont think any team has asserted itself as the top team convincingly. England and South Africa have made the most convincing cases, and then India has had a bit of a crack at it (at home, mostly). At the moment though, it's all open for someone to step up.
So pretty much agreeing with me then ..

Nice selective quoting there.
Vince's view is ( the unabridged version)
RandomVince said:
Since then, I dont think any team has asserted itself as the top team convincingly. England and South Africa have made the most convincing cases, and then India has had a bit of a crack at it (at home, mostly). At the moment though, it's all open for someone to step up.

Which is completely different to

irfan said:
True to an extent but I think SA and England are above the rest.

artist

Banned
Which is completely different to
lol .. read what you're posting duuuuude

"True to an extent, England and SA are above the rest" is the same as "top position is open while England and SA have made the most convincing cases".

Again, why am I wasting my time .. *leaving thread until Monday*

legend166

South Africa have been perennial underachievers. Considering the players they have at the moment, they should dominate. Steyn is easily the best bowler in the world and a middle order of Amla, Kallis and de Villiers is hard to be.

Yet they just don't see to be able to win consistently. It's weird.

lol .. read what you're posting duuuuude

"True to an extent, England and SA are above the rest" is the same as "top position is open while England and SA have made the most convincing cases".

Again, why am I wasting my time .. *leaving thread until Monday*

You are saying SA and England are currently above the rest.

Vince is saying it is currently even and there aren't any dominant teams.

I don't get why you are trying to change your statement - you can think England or south Africa or India is the best at the moment, it's your choice.

I agree with Vince though, there isn't currently a standout and the competition is pretty even in tests.

legend166 said:
South Africa have been perennial underachievers. Considering the players they have at the moment, they should dominate. Steyn is easily the best bowler in the world and a middle order of Amla, Kallis and de Villiers is hard to be.

Yet they just don't see to be able to win consistently. It's weird.

Mentality is their problem.

beast786

Prepare 'rank turners' for visiting teams - Gambhir

Gautam Gambhir has called for "rank turners" when teams visit India after India have lost seven consecutive away Tests on pitches that he reckons had lot of grass on them. He said the real test of a team was to win overseas, and that Indian curators shouldn't hesitate to make it as tough as possible for visiting teams.

"We need to realise that when we go overseas every country prepares wickets to their own strengths," Gambhir said. "So once the other teams come home we need to prepare tracks to our advantage as well. So there should not be a lot of talk when Australia or South Africa or England come home that we should not be preparing turners. I think we should be playing to our strengths, and if we can prepare rank turners, that's where their technique and their temperament will be tested."

Gambhir said there was a lot of movement available to seam bowlers in all of their seven defeats starting from the English summer onwards. "We have seen in last three Tests matches and even in England, there was a lot of grass and that helped their seamers," he said. "Once these people come to India we should not be hesitant in making turners, and that's where we would get to know whether they are mentally strong, and [what happens to] the kind of chit chat do they do when we go overseas and they talk about our techniques.

"That's where they will be tested, and we'll see how good they are against spin bowling. So we shouldn't be hesitant in preparing turners to our advantage, and that has been our strength and if we can do that people should support us rather than saying we should not be preparing turners. We should always be preparing something which is to our advantage."

Gambhir was asked what progress he saw in Peter Siddle's bowling from the time he debuted against India in 2008-09 to now being the leader of the Australian bowling attack. "The only difference is the conditions," Gambhir said. "He made his debut in Mohali. He played really well in that Test series. It's [these are] his own conditions, it's his own backyard. The important thing is once you start doing well in subcontinent, that's when you are rated as a very good bowler.

"He has bowled really well in this series - no doubt about that - he has been their main bowler who has always taken wickets whenever he has got into his spell. The important thing is, how he bowls well in the subcontinent. Here he has bowled well, but let's see what he does in other conditions as well."

COMMENT - A frustrated reaction

Gambhir's comments about the pitches seem to be a combination of many factors. At worst they could be indicative of the defensive attitude of a team that has lost seven away Tests in a row. They can easily be seen as an extension of the response of Ishant Sharma and Virat Kohli to sledging by Australian players about the Indian batsmen's technique and average. You would expect better from a team that wants to be the best in the world.
There also seems to be a lack of awareness that India's recent wins outside the subcontinent have all come on seaming tracks that make it easier for their bowlers to take 20 wickets. Also the pitches in Sydney and Perth were hardly the monsters they are being made out to be.

However, at such times, it is easy to miss the deep-rooted frustration at the kind of pitches the Indian curators have been rolling out over the recent years: slow, low, devoid of life and excitement. The last time India actually got a pitch that turned and bounced was in Kanpur in 2007-08. Otherwise the pitches in India are all designed to last the longest possible distance. Gambhir is also understandably annoyed at how easily the turning tracks are labelled "disgraceful" by the media and the ICC. Sidharth

Very interesting from WORLD champions. They already sound defeated in this series.

beast786

What a great one day game of SL vs SA. I love the SA commentator. I forgot his name.

Great series by SL to win a test and , 2 ODI's. Also congrat to SA for series win.

He defends the ball with 5 to win in 3 balls. Then slams a 6 in the next ball. LOL. Amazing.

artist

Banned
You are saying SA and England are currently above the rest.

Vince is saying it is currently even and there aren't any dominant teams.

I don't get why you are trying to change your statement - you can think England or south Africa or India is the best at the moment, it's your choice.

I agree with Vince though, there isn't currently a standout and the competition is pretty even in tests.
I'm saying I agree with Vince to an extent in that there is no one front runner for the no.1 spot, however I said England and SA are above the others. Vince said the same damn thing, that England and SA have made the most convincing cases. But yeah, keep on harping on how its two different things, it wont change anything.

artist

Banned
Cricinfo said:
"There have been well documented and unwanted activities involving former Pakistani cricketers a couple of years ago which spoilt the name of Pakistan cricket and gave the nation of Pakistan a bad name," Mohsin told PakPassion.net. "Our aim was to turn that around, and to provide a boost to the nation and fans of Pakistan cricket, and to show the world that there is more to Pakistan cricket than just negatives. Cricket is not just a game in Pakistan; it's a way of life, it's a passion and the people adore cricket in Pakistan. So for that reason I feel the win today was a gift for the people of Pakistan.
Much needed win indeed for the traditional bad guys of world cricket. Its going to need MUCH MUCH more than one win to erase all these wonderful memories.

artist

Banned
"There have been well documented and unwanted activities involving former Pakistani cricketers a couple of years ago which spoilt the name of Pakistan cricket and gave the nation of Pakistan a bad name," Mohsin told PakPassion.net. "Our aim was to turn that around, and to provide a boost to the nation and fans of Pakistan cricket, and to show the world that there is more to Pakistan cricket than just negatives. Cricket is not just a game in Pakistan; it's a way of life, it's a passion and the people adore cricket in Pakistan. So for that reason I feel the win today was a gift for the people of Pakistan.
Too bad they cant even witness their team play at home. Even Bangladesh/Kenya/Zimbabwe can play at home.

artist

Banned
Geoff Marsh fired

Hey atleast its not as bad Mohsin Khan when your team wins and does well and his head is still on the chopping block. Typical Pakistani stuff, love it. And he doesnt have to worry about getting killed on a loss either.

I'm saying I agree with Vince to an extent in that there is no one front runner for the no.1 spot, however I said England and SA are above the others. Vince said the same damn thing, that England and SA have made the most convincing cases. But yeah, keep on harping on how its two different things, it wont change anything.

Haha, there is a difference of tense. You are talking presently Eng and SA are above the others, Vince is saying England and SA "have" (past tense) made convincing cases but currently it is open i.e. England and SA are not above the others.

In regards to Gautim's comments - ha! What a cry baby. His, and the Ind team's, confidence is definitely down. I'm looking forward to England and Australia touring India later in the year, when Eng and Aus win tests in India on "rank turners" what will India use as an excuse then? I mean, even the Windies were competitive there recently.

In regards to the Pakistani win. Awesome for cricket. Aussies have always liked the Pakistani cricketers since their World Cup win down under. Imran, Waqar, Akram, Ul-Haq, Mahommad Yousuf, Sohail, Saqlain, Aktar, and Mushtaq Ahmed are some of the names of players loved in Australia. I wish we played them more often, their best players have always been brilliant to watch.

In fact, it feels like we rarely play Windies and Pakistan these days. Yet in my childhood, I remember (or it seems like) these guys were touring here a lot.

artist

Banned
Seriously picking tenses now? Seriously? ...

In regards to Gautim's comments - ha! What a cry baby.
He's perfectly right in saying that home teams exploit their home advantage and India should do the same rather than building dead pitches that dont even turn. One would only call him a coward if you are scared by his comments and playing on rank turners. ;)

I'm looking forward to England and Australia touring India later in the year, when Eng and Aus win tests in India on "rank turners" what will India use as an excuse then? I mean, even the Windies were competitive there recently.
If pigs would fly also? Cross that bridge when you approach it.

Also West Indies lost 2-0 against India, if thats competitive enough, then surely some high standards you got there for an Australian. Also this is the same West Indies that drew 1-1 with Pakistan (at home) but lost to India 0-1 (at home), lol.

In regards to the Pakistani win. Awesome for cricket. Aussies have always liked the Pakistani cricketers since their World Cup win down under. Imran, Waqar, Akram, Ul-Haq, Mahommad Yousuf, Sohail, Saqlain, Aktar, and Mushtaq Ahmed are some of the names of players loved in Australia. I wish we played them more often, their best players have always been brilliant to watch.

In fact, it feels like we rarely play Windies and Pakistan these days. Yet in my childhood, I remember (or it seems like) these guys were touring here a lot.
No wonder all of those guys have retired, the glorious Pakistani era and its stalwarts are long gone. What new promising faces that have come in, have chosen to follow the Pakistani traditions of match-fixing.

Omikron

Ashwin on in the 4th over. You would hope for India's sake that is a to facilitate a change of ends.

Edit: And so it appears to be. Khan on at the other end.

EditEdit: Maybe not, Ashwin continues.

:-/

Fredescu

I was just about to post that a dirty part of me hopes Marsh doesn't get too many runs so future selections are easier. Then I got a phone call and he got out, so now I don't have to post something as stupid as that. Phew.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Punter and Clarke schooling the Indians again. I hope he gets his ton before tea.

Sharma has been unlucky again today. The rest, well.......

Top Bottom