• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

beast786

Has a team ever lost 4 game test series twice , back to back. Is it an all time record? With so many inning defeats and not even a draw?

is it the worst performance ever by a test nation ?

Grug

Man didn't that game suddenly turn tense in a hurry last night.

Dan Christian was amazing in the field late. All those saved fours and the final catch were the difference in the end.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Yeah he looked good. Him, Christian and Wade will/should be regulars.

Should be a good game. All the wickets have been bit stupid so far so if India keep their cool will probably be able to chase whatever score.

Some ordianry batting by Australia at the death here.

Wade looked terrible, no idea how he scrapped 17 together. Having Harris go the tonk would have been a better option.

Terrible running by Christian before too. Hopefully this lapse in concentration won't cost Australia, really need to go at 6 an over for the last 5 overs.

Rezbit

That was probably the worst-made 270 I've ever seen.

Also STFU Vinay Kumar, trying to act all tough muttering under your breath, glaring at Wade while he is walking away. Petulant shit.

Grug

McKay you useless prick. That was shithouse bowling. As soon as they gave him the ball for that final over I said to the missus that they should have given it to Starc.

Good finish though. Going to be a good series. Dhoni was Bevanlike there.

Rezbit

Good job Dhoni, but Australia were just awful. Really bad batting first up and so many easy singles allowed.

Doherty = clutch

McKay = anti-clutch

India held their composure, Australia didn't. Pretty terrible in the field, especially Warner. The amount of missed runouts really, really hurt. Maybe Clarke shouldn't have come back on the field.

Terrible final over by McKay, wtf was he thinking with that chest high full toss after Dhoni had already hit him nearly 120m? Moron.

Dhoni looked in control that whole last 5 overs, brilliant knock by him.

EDIT: Looks likely to be India Vs. Australia final which is a bit disappointing.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

Should have bowled Starc again, McKay was pretty crap all game, didn't mix anything up......... bowling as a whole was terrible as well as the fielding, dunno what was up with that shit.

Kerrby

Banned
Should have bowled Starc again, McKay was pretty crap all game, didn't mix anything up......... bowling as a whole was terrible as well as the fielding, dunno what was up with that shit.

Some of these posts are fucking embarrassing. This one in particular.

McKay you useless prick. That was shithouse bowling. As soon as they gave him the ball for that final over I said to the missus that they should have given it to Starc.

Good finish though. Going to be a good series. Dhoni was Bevanlike there.

This one is pretty bad as well.

McKay was 3/15 at one stage. Why would be bowl Starc who finished up 0/49?

It wasn't McKays fault we lost, he actually bowled decently. It was a mixture of the following:

Awful fielding, cost us at least 10 runs.
Awful batting order, Wade should've opened.
Needed at least 20 extra runs in our batting.
Harris and Starc were pretty average bowling.

artist

Banned
Some of these posts are fucking embarrassing. This one in particular.
Thats quite Australian isnt it?

This one is pretty bad as well.

McKay was 3/15 at one stage. Why would be bowl Starc who finished up 0/49?

It wasn't McKays fault we lost, he actually bowled decently. It was a mixture of the following:

Awful fielding, cost us at least 10 runs.
Awful batting order, Wade should've opened.
Needed at least 20 extra runs in our batting.
Harris and Starc were pretty average bowling.
Yeah the piling on McKay is unnecessary, plenty of wrongs that led to this loss.

Was sooooooooooooo massive! Must have been the biggest of the series so far. Just glided through the air like it had wings.
I dont think I've seen a bigger six (measured). The ones that they showed during the test series of Mark Waugh and Chris Gayle were less than 105m.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

Starc showed he could handle a bit of pressure, well kinda. Would have been good to have the last few overs as spin Dussey would have been alright. McKay bowled with none of the variety he showed against Sri Lanka that had them swinging and missing.

Nearly all the wickets this game where from bad batting, not good bowling.

Kerrby

Banned
Starc showed he could handle a bit of pressure, well kinda. Would have been good to have the last few overs as spin Dussey would have been alright. McKay bowled with none of the variety he showed against Sri Lanka that had them swinging and missing.

Nearly all the wickets this game where from bad batting, not good bowling.

McKay bowled one bad over the whole game and everyone is jumping on him. Especially seeing he took 3 major wickets and apart from the X-man, was our only good bowler.

Only an idiot would bowl Starc who was on 0/49 after 8 overs and was bowling pies all night.

artist

Banned
McKay bowled one bad over the whole game and everyone is jumping on him. Especially seeing he took 3 major wickets and apart from the X-man, was our only good bowler.

Only an idiot would bowl Starc who was on 0/49 after 8 overs and was bowling pies all night.
Besides it was clear Clarke didnt have enough confidence in Starc (because of his figures this game as well has his last over in the previous game) as he brought on Doherty when Starc was supposed to come on.

artist

Banned
"Highest batting avg in successful chases (Min.25 inns): Dhoni (104.89), M Clarke (89.20),Bevan (86.25) & M Hussey (83.87)."

Also the averages of Bevan and Mussey are high (regardless of chasing or not) because of the disproportionate of the not-outs they have. Give Dhoni the same percentage of not-outs and his average is the highest of any ODI player.

Michael-Bevan-gives-2011-World-Cup-vote-of-confidence-to-India-53493.jpg

Kerrby

Banned
Besides it was clear Clarke didnt have enough confidence in Starc (because of his figures this game as well has his last over in the previous game) as he brought on Doherty when Starc was supposed to come on.

Correct, although Clarke screwed up from the start with that awful batting order.

Plus it looks like Clarke will be rested next game and probably Bad Hands to come in as acting captain. :(.

THRILLH0

Banned
"Highest batting avg in successful chases (Min.25 inns): Dhoni (104.89), M Clarke (89.20),Bevan (86.25) & M Hussey (83.87)."

Also the averages of Bevan and Mussey are high (regardless of chasing or not) because of the disproportionate of the not-outs they have. Give Dhoni the same percentage of not-outs and his average is the highest of any ODI player.
"Bradman's average is only so high because of the disproportionate number of runs he scored per innings".

What point are you trying to make? If you give Bevan the same number of runs as Ponting his average is even higher.

artist

Banned
"Bradman's average is only so high because of the disproportionate number of runs he scored per innings".

What point are you trying to make? If you give Bevan the same number of runs as Ponting his average is even higher.
I'm applying the same point that I'm applying to Doeschate. Even if you disregard that, that chart is now LOL-out-of-date. Suck it up and move on.

[IG]http://i.minus.com/ibaYilNY55hQT4.gif[/IMG]
[IG]http://answers.bettor.com/images/Articles/thumbs/extralarge/Michael-Bevan-gives-2011-World-Cup-vote-of-confidence-to-India-53493.jpg[/IMG]

You can't just disregard the not outs. Having so many not outs from his batting position/situations he usually found himself in says a lot about his ability.

Also, lol cricket.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUVrvOSDQ-s

You can't just disregard the not outs. Having so many not outs from his batting position/situations he usually found himself in says a lot about his ability.

Also, lol cricket.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUVrvOSDQ-s

The fact that Bevan comes in at 5 down and played in a very strong Australian team meant that he usually came in when only a handful of overs were left, and thus it was easy to "survive" with say 30 runs to his name. All those not out runs means his average is not representative of his skill in comparison to other players. The same applies to Hussey, but not as strongly.

Grug

McKay bowled one bad over the whole game and everyone is jumping on him.

I wasn't commenting on his entire figures for the evening. I was commenting purely on his bowling at the death, which is a specific art in itself. He blew it. The no-ball rank full toss was idiotic.

The poor fielding was another issue altogether. Criticising McKay's final over doesn't discount that.

Not sure what irfan is trying to get at with the Bevan statistics. I don't think anyone cares what Bevan's stats were. What made him remarkable was his incredible temperament to guide Australia home. He always seemed to know what was required and got it done.

The fact that that statistic irfan provided is limited to "successful chases" is all the more baffling. Would like to see statistics for ratio for Bevan of successful chases to unsuccessful chases. That would tell you an actual story (assuming you had some way of removing the unsuccessful chases where they run out of batting partners through no fault of their own).

artist

Banned
The fact that Bevan comes in at 5 down and played in a very strong Australian team meant that he usually came in when only a handful of overs were left, and thus it was easy to "survive" with say 30 runs to his name. All those not out runs means his average is not representative of his skill in comparison to other players. The same applies to Hussey, but not as strongly.
Exactly my point.

I wasn't commenting on his entire figures for the evening. I was commenting purely on his bowling at the death, which is a specific art in itself. He blew it. The no-ball rank full toss was idiotic.
McKay has a good slower ball, in fact his mates who hate him, praise his slower ball. The fact that he couldnt get it right today was probably one of his off days.

Not sure what irfan is trying to get at with the Bevan statistics. I don't think anyone cares what Bevan's stats were. What made him remarkable was his incredible temperament to guide Australia home. He always seemed to know what was required and got it done.

The fact that that statistic irfan provided is limited to "successful chases" is all the more baffling. Would like to see statistics for ratio for Bevan of successful chases to unsuccessful chases. That would tell you an actual story (assuming you had some way of removing the unsuccessful chases where they run out of batting partners through no fault of their own).
That stat was from cricinfo, I didnt specifically go digging for it.

beast786

In comments sure to splinter the Indian dressing room, Gambhir said the tourists needed players who could "deliver''.

Tendulkar has not scored a century in his 11 innings on this Australian tour and was rested before Sunday's game against Australia, which the tourists won.

"For me, this was the best playing 11,'' Gambhir said before pointedly adding "it's not about names''.

"You don't want names, you want people who can deliver,'' Ghambir, who was named man-of-the-match after top scoring with 92, said.

"The best XI is if 11 players have the belief they can beat any opposition on the park and this playing XI had the belief that they could beat Australia in Australia and in this ODI.

"One or two individuals don't make a difference.''

Not content with tearing down a legend, Gambhir also took aim at captain M.S. Dhoni, saying the skipper should have batted with more urgency.

"We should have finished this game in the 48th over,'' Gambhir said. "We shouldn't have taken the game to the 50th over.

"I know it's always easier to talk when you are in the dressing room, and it's always tough in the middle, but ... when you put yourself in that situation, someone has to pick his hand up and say, 'I want to finish this game'.''

Dhoni scored 13 runs off the final over, finishing with 44 from 58 balls.

"I don't know what was going through MS's mind, but maybe he wanted to delay it, maybe he wanted someone else to take that responsibility,'' Gambhir said.

"Cometh the hour, I think the most important shot of the match was made by him. Six balls, 13 runs, with the kind of shot he played, he has done a fantastic job, he has always been a finisher, but that's his game plan. He wants to delay it.

"Someone like me, if I was there, I wouldn't have taken it to the last over, because I always feel that any runs in the last over is far more pressure than finishing one or two overs before.

"Even if you need five or six runs in the last over, the pressure is far more on the batting side.
"We are different human beings, we think differently, we have different game plans.''

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/ga...-1226270430861

Top Bottom