• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

artist

Banned
Holy crap, Zimbabwe is laying some smackdown on the Black caps .. 177/2 in 17.2 overs o_O

SL is pretty close to now being the most boring side to watch.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
If you have read or watched A Game of Thrones

W2YMq.jpg

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Loving the ODI matches this summer and no surprise that they have been regularly close. Past few years they were complete bores, and I guess a lot of that had to do with the tri-series format being demolished.

Quite glad it is back.

Rezbit

Wow what a game. Pretty good series so far. Dhoni getting his beast mode on...shame it's a few weeks after the real stuff.

It really shows what a skill the yorker is at the death. So many can't do it. McKay couldn't execute the other night, Angelo couldn't tonight. Tough ask on him though.

artist

Banned
What the fuck?

29.1 Malinga to Dhoni, 1 run, 137.5 kph, opens the face of the bat and runs it down to third man
29.2 Malinga to Gambhir, FOUR, 135.8 kph, nicely controlled! Short delivery rising on the shoulder and Gambhir moved across and controlled the pull well down to fine leg on one leg
29.3 Malinga to Gambhir, 1 run, 138.2 kph, straight on the pads and he clips it away down to square leg
29.4 Malinga to Dhoni, 2 runs, 140.8 kph, low full toss on the pads and he clips it down towards deep square leg
29.5 Malinga to Dhoni, 1 run, 129.5 kph, short and wide and he slashes it down to square third man, the fielder does really well to sprint across and fire in the throw, limits it to just a single

Just a 5-ball over?

Going back to the 30th over, it was scored as a five-ball over. Did the umpires miss out that one ball? It still is a mystery.
Surely this has to be reviewed and if so, India should be awarded the win?

Grug

Missed the game due to Valentine's Day related obligations. Sounds like it was a cracker.

Didn't think Sri Lanka's score was defendable at Adelaide. Looks like they did well.

artist

Banned
I thought you were against reviews.
DRS, which in it's current state is a joke IMO. I've got nothing against playing within preset, agreed rules.

cricinfo said:
India don't want to create controversy about the five-ball 30th over that may or may not have made a difference to the final result of a tight game, a tie. However, it gave MS Dhoni an opportunity to raise the question that, with so much technology available, why couldn't the officials ensure the proper counting of balls, and why blindly follow the DRS?

The essence of Dhoni's comments, though, was that this could easily be turned into a controversy but he didn't want to do so. "Duncan [Fletcher, the coach] told me about it," Dhoni said. "There have been five-ball overs in the past, but we have seen the third umpire interfere and you have to come back and bowl that ball. Usually that's what has happened to us also. It didn't happen in this game, fair enough. Nothing much can be done now.

"I don't know [if a full over might have broken the tie] because you could have had a dot ball. It happens in cricket, so maybe it would have been a dot."

Dhoni said India were not going to lodge an official complaint. "Well because it's done and dusted," he said. "That's what is important. We can create a big fuss out of it but what's the point? It's like a controversy standing right at the edge, just about to happen, because we have seen in the past that we have bowled an over and they have almost changed ends. But then the third umpire interferes and says, 'Okay you have to bowl one more ball in this particular over". It didn't happen in this game. I don't know why. We don't really want to create a controversy."

As an afterthought, Dhoni took a dig at DRS. "If this can happen then I don't know why people back DRS so much," Dhoni said. "We have seen people happy with DRS in one series as long as it goes in their favour. Once it doesn't go in their favour, they are quite unhappy about it so. I am quite happy with three individuals. If I am not wrong, two umpires in the middle and the match referee and the scorer [are there], and it has still happened. Better off accepting it because we humans are bound to make mistakes."

The said over was, at that time, the second best of India's innings. Gautam Gambhir and Dhoni had taken nine off Malinga when over was called after five balls. Mahela Jayawardene, Sri Lanka's captain, said he didn't know of the error. "I am not complaining," he joked.

DRS, which in it's current state is a joke IMO. I've got nothing against playing within preset, agreed rules.

http://static.espncricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2003-04/OTHERS/U19-WC2004/U19-WC2004_PLAYING_CONDITIONS.pdf

22.1 Law 22.5 Umpire miscounting
Whenever possible the third umpire shall liaise with the scorers and if possible inform the on-field umpires if the over has been miscounted.

Except as varied hereunder the Laws of Cricket (2000 Code 2nd Edition - 2003) shall apply.

Laws of cricket can be viewed here

http://www.lords.org/laws-and-spirit/laws-of-cricket/laws/law-22-the-over,48,AR.html

also here

http://www.lords.org/data/files/laws_of_cricket_2003-8685.pdf

5. Umpire miscounting
(a) If the umpire miscounts the number of valid balls, the over as counted by the umpire shall stand.

2. Start of an over
An over has started when the bowler starts his run up or, if he has no run up, his action for the first delivery of that over.

If the third umpire doesn't catch it in time you are out of luck, it's in the preset agreed rules. No reviews sorry.

artist

Banned
That part of the rules is exactly the same as

in.yimg.com/icccricket/pdfs/odi_playing_conditions.pdf

bit i chose the other link since you don't have to download a pdf.

gg.
This pdf has only:

Whenever possible the third umpire shall liaise with the scorers and if possible inform the on-field umpires if the over has been miscounted.

Which was not followed .. You poor soul, didnt have to shoot yourself in the mouth ..

Haha. Never let the truth get in the way of deploying a juvenile gif.
My gifs are like oscars compared to the trash you come up with. ;)

Which was not followed .. You poor soul, didnt have to shoot yourself in the mouth ..

Whenever possible, it was obviously missed at the time which means that as soon as the next over starts the over stands as was counted according to the main rules. No reviews sorry.

artist

Banned
Whenever possible, it was obviously missed at the time which means that as soon as the next over starts the over stands as was counted according to the main rules. No reviews sorry.
Which main rules? I dont see the main rules mentioning the use of two new balls? /zing sorry your ass :D

Obviously this was a huge miss, in such a tight game. The fact that India isnt making a fuss about it doesnt mean its a-okay.

Dhoni said:
It's done and dusted with. We can create a big fuss out of it but what's the point? It's like a controversy standing right on the edge...just about to happen. What's the point as it's a controversy which is right there and we don't really want to get into anything like that...Hopefully, it won't be repeated, not only with us but not even with any other side.

Obviously this was a huge miss, in such a tight game. The fact that India isnt making a fuss about it doesnt mean its a-okay.

I didn't say it was OK. I was saying that it was part of the rules that it cannot be reviewed, which you were calling for as part of the rules.

artist

Banned
I didn't say it was OK. I was saying that it was part of the rules that it cannot be reviewed, which you were calling for as part of the rules.
Part of the rules .. where? Like I said and you have failed to show, I havent seen the preset rules for this tournament. You also missed the big question mark at the end of my post.

Part of the rules .. where? Like I said and you have failed to show, I havent seen the preset rules for this tournament. You also missed the big question mark at the end of my post.

Go back and look at my first post with links to the ICC rules it's right there

5. Umpire miscounting
(a) If the umpire miscounts the number of valid balls, the over as counted by the umpire shall stand.

artist

Banned
Go back and look at my first post with links to the ICC rules it's right there
I dont see any of it from ICC. Anyway, I think your straw-man argument to my question has gone more distance than it should have. Feel free to PM me if you want to take it further.

I dont see any of it from ICC. Anyway, I think your straw-man argument to my question has gone more distance than it should have. Feel free to PM me if you want to take it further.

Because you aren't even bothering to read.

From the ICC one day rules

in.yimg.com/icccricket/pdfs/odi_playing_conditions.pdf

Except as varied hereunder the Laws of Cricket (2000 Code 2nd Edition - 2003) shall apply.

From the Laws of Cricket (2000 Code 2nd Edition - 2003)

5. Umpire miscounting

both quotes in my first post.

beast786

Congratulations to pakistan. We actually outscored cook this time.

bhangra.gif

Baby steps closer to hopefully in 3rd ODI
Real congrats to England :(

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Cook is something else.

Sri Lanka to get their first win today?

If we play as bad as we have in the last 2 games they should...... not taking away from Sri Lanka and India's performance.

Grug

Holy shit. Forgot we were playing today then I logged on and saw the score. LOL, pretty bad.

AFL pre-season cup kicks off tonight so my attention will be elsewhere. So take this as my pre-emptive "showing up when Australia lose" post to stop irfan's knickers getting all twisted.

Top Bottom