• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

artist

Banned
India would be stupid to knock back the chance to watch the two best test teams in the world right now.

It will be a long wait before India are back up there again.
:lol

Australia barely beat out WI and Pakistan are yet to prove they can do well overseas. Best teams right now are SA (by a long margin) and England, England has fallen a little but not much.

Quotes from Stu MacGill on cricinfo today:

"There are a number of us who still rate the '98 tour to Pakistan as our favourite. I've been to Pakistan twice - I went with an A team as well."

"In Pakistan, we found the people are incredibly friendly. It's clean, the structure is good, the food is good. When you consider that culturally our two countries are so different, we got along with everyone so well and we were looked after so well. I don't like Westerners saying, "Oh, we shouldn't go there", because they don't understand and they don't know how good it is. "

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/565775.html

artist said:
lol

Australia barely beat out WI and Pakistan are yet to prove they can do well overseas. Best teams right now are SA (by a long margin) and England, England has fallen a little but not much.

Based on what? Australia just drew with SA in SA and Pakistan just thrashed England.

Also, Australia beat WI in WI 2-0. And winning away (which Australia was) is 10x harder than winning at home (which England is).

Their 3 wicket win in Bridgetown was much better than the 5 wicket win by England the other day.

Winning after declaring behind, it takes a great team to be able to do that.

Here are the team results for the last 12 mths

England @ Home - 6 wins, 2 Draws, 0 Losses
England @ Away - 1 win, 4 losses

SA @ Home - 3 wins, 2 losses
SA @ Away - 2 draws, 1 loss

AUS @ Home - 6 wins, 1 loss
AUS @ Away - 4 wins, 2 draws, 1 loss

Pak @ Home - 3 wins (counting the UAE as home games)
Pak @ Away - 3 wins

TOTALS
Australia - 10 wins, 3 draws, 2 losses
Pakistan - 6 wins, no losses
England - 7 wins, 2 draws, 4 losses
SA - 5 wins, 3 losses

England and SA are so far a head of the rest, lol!

oh, I forgot India in the last 12 mths.

India - 2 wins, 10 losses

haha

artist

Banned
Quotes from Stu MacGill on cricinfo today:

"There are a number of us who still rate the '98 tour to Pakistan as our favourite. I've been to Pakistan twice - I went with an A team as well."

"In Pakistan, we found the people are incredibly friendly. It's clean, the structure is good, the food is good. When you consider that culturally our two countries are so different, we got along with everyone so well and we were looked after so well. I don't like Westerners saying, "Oh, we shouldn't go there", because they don't understand and they don't know how good it is. "

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/565775.html

14 years sure have changed a lot. There is good reason that even minnows like Zimbabwe/Bangladesh have chosen to have none of it.

Based on what? Australia just drew with SA in SA and Pakistan just thrashed England.

Also, Australia beat WI in WI 2-0. And winning away (which Australia was) is 10x harder than winning at home (which England is).

Their 3 wicket win in Bridgetown was much better than the 5 wicket win by England the other day.

Winning after declaring behind, it takes a great team to be able to do that.
3 wicket win better than 5 wicket win, something nice that you must be smoking. Both Australian victories in WI were close, the first test Australia was under the pump for a good 4 days. Point is SA is much more consistent than every other team. England's victories have also come overseas (hint: you dont become no.1 winning only at home) and who can forget the Australian GLORIOUS drubbing in Australia two years back. "haha eeeh oh haha"

Australia is one of the better sides that is undergoing a rebuild but their inconsistencies are far too much and they still have some ways to go before they can be considered the best. But yes, you simply cant put your Australian glasses down to see this, atleast some of your mates can.

3 wicket win better than 5 wicket win, something nice that you must be smoking.

Yes, a 3 wicket win away is better than a 5 wicket win at home. Anyone who knows test cricket will tell you this.

Both Australian victories in WI were close, the first test Australia was under the pump for a good 4 days. Point is SA is much more consistent than every other team. England's victories have also come overseas (hint: you dont become no.1 winning only at home) and who can forget the Australian GLORIOUS drubbing in Australia two years back. "haha eeeh oh haha"

Australia is one of the better sides that is undergoing a rebuild but their inconsistencies are far too much and they still have some ways to go before they can be considered the best. But yes, you simply cant put your Australian glasses down to see this, atleast some of your mates can.

We are talking about the teams currently, not 2 years ago in what was the combination of the worst Aussie team ever and the best English side ever. And we still won a match.

Australia and Pakistan have been the two best teams in the last 12 mths.

Edit, check the stats out:
Here are the team results for the last 12 mths

England @ Home - 6 wins, 2 Draws, 0 Losses
England @ Away - 1 win, 4 losses

SA @ Home - 3 wins, 2 losses
SA @ Away - 2 draws, 1 loss

AUS @ Home - 6 wins, 1 loss
AUS @ Away - 4 wins, 2 draws, 1 loss

Pak @ Home - 3 wins (counting the UAE as home games)
Pak @ Away - 3 wins

TOTALS
Australia - 10 wins, 3 draws, 2 losses
Pakistan - 6 wins, no losses
England - 7 wins, 2 draws, 4 losses
SA - 5 wins, 3 losses

England and SA are so far a head of the rest, lol!

oh, I forgot India in the last 12 mths.

India - 2 wins, 10 losses

3 wicket win better than 5 wicket win, something nice that you must be smoking. Both Australian victories in WI were close, the first test Australia was under the pump for a good 4 days. Point is SA is much more consistent than every other team. England's victories have also come overseas (hint: you dont become no.1 winning only at home) and who can forget the Australian GLORIOUS drubbing in Australia two years back. "haha eeeh oh haha"

This quote makes me question whether irfan and artist are really the same person.

I dont think they are. They may be good friends but irfan seemed like he knew a lot more about cricket.

Also, he said "(hint: you dont become no.1 winning only at home)". Irfan never would have said something like this.

In the glory days of Indian cricket, it didnt matter to irfan that india only won at home.

artist

Banned
Yes, a 3 wicket win away is better than a 5 wicket win at home. Anyone who knows test cricket will tell you this.
Not if you were on the verge of losing the match for a good portion of it. I think we're talking two different things; I'm talking dominance in the victories while you are placing importance on the location. Besides that Australia playing in WI is just like Pakistan playing in Dubai or Bangladesh, still in their comfort zone.

We are talking about the teams currently, not 2 years ago in what was the combination of the worst Aussie team ever and the best English side ever. And we still won a match.

Australia and Pakistan have been the two best teams in the last 12 mths.
Gee, why dont you even narrow it down further to a period to slant things even more?

Bangladesh was the best ODI team from March 16-20.

This quote makes me question whether irfan and artist are really the same person.

I dont think they are. They may be good friends but irfan seemed like he knew a lot more about cricket.

Also, he said "(hint: you dont become no.1 winning only at home)". Irfan never would have said something like this.

In the glory days of Indian cricket, it didnt matter to irfan that india only won at home.

I think you just topped your brilliant moment of when you insisted Tendulkar was bad overseas and then Window gave you the stats and you ran away from the argument.

Hint: I celebrated Indian wins (in India) against Australia because they were one of the best. Stopping a 16 consecutive win and also winning after getting followed on, will remain one of the best moments in test cricket, which ever way you slice it.

Not if you were on the verge of losing the match for a good portion of it. I think we're talking two different things; I'm talking dominance in the victories while you are placing importance on the location. Besides that Australia playing in WI is just like Pakistan playing in Dubai or Bangladesh, still in their comfort zone.

Gee, why dont you even narrow it down further to a period to slant things even more?

Bangladesh was the best ODI team from March 16-20.

A win away >>>>>>>>>>>>> a win at home which ever way you slice it.

This is the problem with Indian mentality and why Australia are the greatest cricketing nation ever.

And you were talking about the best teams "at the moment".

What period do you want to look at for "at the moment" exactly. In my opinion, te last 12 mths is pretty "at the moment" in terms of test cricket.

The majority of all the squads are the same as they were 12 mths ago so I would call them their current teams.

I think you just topped your brilliant moment of when you insisted Tendulkar was bad overseas and then Window gave you the stats and you ran away from the argument.

Hint: I celebrated Indian wins (in India) against Australia because they were one of the best. Stopping a 16 consecutive win and also winning after getting followed on, will remain one of the best moments in test cricket, which ever way you slice it.

I never insisted Tendulkar was bad overseas. I said his average and statistics were inflated because he played the majority of his career on batting friendly pitches of India. I still maintain it as well.

The most draws and most test runs are scored in the subcontinent. A clear indication of the batting friendly conditions.

Then the response is "why doesnt Ricky Ponting dominate there then", well the fact is he plays there 1 every 4 years so is not as used to it.

Then the response is "it shouldnt be hard to acclimatise if its so easy".

But look at the Aussies who play in the IPL and spend time in the conditions, it takes about 3 months to acclimatise to it and then its bloody easy for them. Once you are used to the bounce and slowness, it is simple really but it takes longer than a tour to get used to it.

Thats it keep clutching at the wins from 10 years ago. That was the height of Indian cricket.

Aussies know that the best cricket from Australia is still yet to come.

artist

Banned
A win away >>>>>>>>>>>>> a win at home which ever way you slice it.

This is the problem with Indian mentality and why Australia are the greatest cricketing nation ever.

And you were talking about the best teams "at the moment".

What period do you want to look at for "at the moment" exactly. In my opinion, te last 12 mths is pretty "at the moment" in terms of test cricket.

The majority of all the squads are the same as they were 12 mths ago so I would call them their current teams.
Jeez, you dont even bother to read my post completely before putting words into my mouth. Let me repeat, you and I are viewing the results from two different perspectives. If Australia would have won by 1 wicket in SL, it would have been a gazillion times more valuable than say England winning at home or even Australia winning overseas but similar conditions as Australia. If anything Australia under achieved and WI overachieved in that tour. No one expected such fight from WI and expected a total dominance from Australia.

As for the period, 12 months is a laughable period. Because of the scheduling of tests, you could have a particular team barely play a test series and that too against a weak opposition. How would you judge them? Also one series can totally make a team far worse/good than they actually are. Five years is a good period for tests, you'll get all kinds of combinations for all the teams to make fair call.

Tendulkar stuff
Its all back in this thread for all to see, not my fight bro.

Thats it keep clutching at the wins from 10 years ago. That was the height of Indian cricket.
I didnt rub it in your face, you brought up me celebrating Indian wins at home. And on top of that Indian team wasnt the best, far from it. Australia was the best team, possibly one of the best test teams ever. Which makes those victories all the more special. If they had come in Pak, SL or any country, you would have still seen major celebrations.

Aussies know that the best cricket from Australia is still yet to come.
I'll take that as a slight admit in that Australia have still room for improvement, not yet the best, haha.

artist

Banned
wait so when Amir was spot fixing vs England, it lead back to England?
How did England end up here? I said, every fucking fixing story has some sort of Pakistan connection to it.

Even the IPL spot fixing claims which have died down were supposedly going back to Pakistan.

^ perfect!

True. Did you see his double strike against DD? Dude was key in that victory.

I have not seen matches in a month now. I might catch final tomorrow. There is a good chance super kings might win it again due to momentum. I do not like that team but they are playing good as a team. KKR will need to play to win. I hope yusuf also wakes up does some hitting. KKR is deserving team. Their spin bowling was amazing this year.

artist

Banned
I have not seen matches in a month now. I might catch final tomorrow. There is a good chance super kings might win it again due to momentum. I do not like that team but they are playing good as a team. KKR will need to play to win. I hope yusuf also wakes up does some hitting. KKR is deserving team. Their spin bowling was amazing this year.
True that. CSK is a team of big egos and lots of money, why I dislike them.

Fcuk yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

KKR KKR KKR.

Kallis my man. you are the greatest. He was so chill as fuck till the end. Great innings by bisla. More deserving team won.

Kallis hugs man lot of hugs.

artist

Banned
lol at the CSK supporters going into hiding.

Watching Dhoni squirm as KKR won was fantastic. CSK was too complacent and they thought they had won the title when they posted 190 and then Bisla tore them a new hole. Kallis delivered with the bat today after a subdued tournament by his standards .. The best team in this league won, just like how the Royals under Shane Warne won in 2008. The rest of the title wins by DC & CSK were come from behind after an inconsistent league performance.

legend166

Damn Windies. Once again they were in a strong position to possibly win this test and they threw it down the drain. Their top order has been dreadful this tour.

artist

Banned
Damn Windies. Once again they were in a strong position to possibly win this test and they threw it down the drain. Their top order has been dreadful this tour.
I doubt that, they had a good session where they pegged England back but couldnt finish off the tail. But yes, their performance against Australia plus a few good sessions here and there in this series show that they still can win tough games. Just imagine Gayle + Narine + Bravo back into the team ..

final would have been lot more fun it was banglore and kkr. Gayle did some crazy things this season.
Yeah, RCB was a good side. AB was my fav player there, what an awesome guy.

lol at the CSK supporters going into hiding.

Watching Dhoni squirm as KKR won was fantastic. CSK was too complacent and they thought they had won the title when they posted 190 and then Bisla tore them a new hole. Kallis delivered with the bat today after a subdued tournament by his standards .. The best team in this league won, just like how the Royals under Shane Warne won in 2008. The rest of the title wins by DC & CSK were come from behind after an inconsistent league performance.

KKR did not top the league, so I don't know how you can call them the best team in the league.

Dead Man

Swing theory doesn't hold water: study

The widely-held belief that moisture in the air during humid conditions helps make a cricket ball swing has been clean bowled in a scientific study.

Swing bowling - when a delivery curves sideways in mid-air - has long been regarded as one of the game's dark arts, not only deceiving hapless batsmen but also puzzling cricket-loving scientists.

Researchers from Britain's Sheffield Hallam University and the University of Auckland in New Zealand reviewed scientific literature on the subject and conducted their own tests to try to get to the bottom of the mystery.

From the earliest studies of the phenomenon in the 1950s to the "seminal review of sports ball dynamics" by NASA scientist Rabindra Mehta in 1985, they found humidity was consistently cited as a crucial factor in achieving swing.

The researchers tested the theory using 3D laser scanners in an atmospheric chamber to measure the effect different humidity levels had on deliveries using balls which had been "aged" to simulate match conditions.

While altitude and the age of the ball both increased swing, the scientists did not discover any link between moisture levels in the air and sideways movement of the ball.

"This study shows that there is no direct or indirect manner in which humidity can significantly affect the ability of the bowler to make the ball swing," they concluded in research published in the online journal Procedia Engineering this week.

"It is therefore logical to conclude that humidity may not have the significant influence on swing bowling that is widely assumed."

Instead, the researchers put forward their own theory that cloud cover provided the ideal environment for swing bowling because it reduced turbulence in the air caused by heating from sunlight.

They say such still conditions meant the air surrounding the ball during the delivery was less likely to be disturbed, making it easier to produce the "asymmetrical" flight needed for swing bowling.

"What is clear is that the scientific community should turn their attention away from the question of humidity and focus their efforts to test the cloud cover hypothesis," they says.

So there you go.

Edit:

Shit, forgot the source: http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2012/05/30/3514434.htm

Window

I remember Nasser Hussein saying repeatedly in the India vs England series last year that overcast conditions have little to no effect on swing. Though he kept referring to some NASA scientist or something as proof which is odd considering that's like completely opposite to everything stated in the article, lol. But yes, humidity not being a factor while cloud conditions affecting swing is pretty interesting. Can't wait for SA vs Eng.

artist

Banned

Here is Sami ... HUGE MORAL VICTORY for PAKISTAN

146096.jpg

The deserved finalists of the World Cup rip a new hole for the traditionally hot and cold, match fixing side.

GO SA GO. Both india and pakistan suck. There was a time when they were some what good. The only A level teams were West indies and after that Aus. SA is B+ and india , pakistan and srilanka are B.

What about England?

He's talking about in the past. Windies in the 80s and early 90s were an A-team, and Aus in the late 90s and early 2000s were an A-team. England have never been an A-team.

Today, no team is an A-team team. England may be the best, but South Africa and us are both only B+ teams as it stands.

artist

Banned
GO SA GO. Both india and pakistan suck. There was a time when they were some what good. The only A level teams were West indies and after that Aus. SA is B+ and india , pakistan and srilanka are B.
I agree with this. India is on the decline and Pakistan still lost to them. :lol

beast786

Wow. It has been a while since I have seen irfan this happy. So much excitement for Pakistan losing a single game of 20/20.

I guess all the emotions of indian, World Record Breaking tour of Asia Cup,England and Australia were building up.

pick one batsman, bowler, all rounder and wicket keeper that will be in top XI of any era.

Batsman: Viv Richards. His batting style is just so wild. you know you gonna get ass whopped when he comes to crease. He was good at playing almost everything.

Bowler: wasim akram. Due to his Flexibility to adopt. There are many many option for this. Second option would be one of hte great west indian bowlers.

All rounder: Kallis.

Wicket keeper: Gilchrist. In his prime he was a lethal force.

artist

Banned
pick one batsman, bowler, all rounder and wicket keeper that will be in top XI of any era.

Batsman: Viv Richards. His batting style is just so wild. you know you gonna get ass whopped when he comes to crease. He was good at playing almost everything.

Bowler: wasim akram. Due to his Flexibility to adopt. There are many many option for this. Second option would be one of hte great west indian bowlers.

All rounder: Kallis.

Wicket keeper: Gilchrist. In his prime he was a lethal force.
I would agree with your list if you take out Kallis. :p

Top Bottom