• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

master15

Good on Laxman retiring. As much as a few of his innings broke my heart, respect when in full flow very attractive batsmen.

Saffers doing well here, let's see if they can pile 300 plus here.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
England have been bowling pretty well these last two days, the luck really has not been with them. That said, dropping both AB and Amla early is criminal. Plus when you bat as poorly as our top order did you don't really deserve good luck. It is looking like we've blown this test.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Might be an interesting morning tomorrow, but I'm guessing it will all be over by teatime so I can get on with some gardening.

master15

Welcome to our new overlords. I jest but credit where credit is due Saffers have definitely been the form team during the series.

Window

As an Indian having lived a long time in NZ it's always difficult to choose whom to root for in India vs NZ matches but this is not pretty to watch. Close competetive games are fun and I think India has had too many instances of close decisions being ruled in their favour (ideally of course UDRS should minimise all this but since the BCCI doesn't want it....). Good to see Pujara do well though.

master15

As an Indian having lived a long time in NZ it's always difficult to choose whom to root for in India vs NZ matches but this is not pretty to watch. Close competetive games are fun and I think India has had too many instances of close decisions being ruled in their favour (ideally of course UDRS should minimise all this but since the BCCI doesn't want it....). Good to see Pujara do well though.

Yeah but let's be honest NZ's battling in particular is a bit of a joke when it comes to test match level. Wouldn't be surprised if India don't have to bat 2nd time around.

artist

Banned
Loving the Afghani team making Australia sweat, they will lose this game but boy this is some impressive performance for a team playing their first ODI.

Great stuff.

UDRS is and will always remain a joke in its current form. Good on BCCI for having the balls to go against the stream.

I am not even going to bother with the NZ and India series...it's totally one sided. Lame Indian pitches + a pathetic team (NZ that is) = totally boring.

India sucks at test cricket anyway. Our cricketers are too busy shooting commercials and signing deals for $$$...

I am not even going to bother with the NZ and India series...it's totally one sided. Lame Indian pitches + a pathetic team (NZ that is) = totally boring.

India sucks at cricket anyway. Our cricketers are too busy shooting commercials and signing deals for $$$...

fixed. I do not like any of indian cricketers. fucking sachin could have retired after winning worldcup but no i got to score 20and 30's still.

fixed. I do not like any of indian cricketers. fucking sachin could have retired after winning worldcup but no i got to score 20and 30's still.

yea I agree with you. I don't watch Indian cricket matches anymore, they are so boring....The South African and English teams are way more exciting!

And Sachin only plays for $$$.

Edit: forgot to mention West Indies. The recent West Indies vs Australia series was really awesome! Chris Gayle, Sammi and Karen Pollard are exciting cricketers.

Window

India sucks at test cricket anyway. Our cricketers are too busy shooting commercials and signing deals for $$$...

If you're referring to the pitch for this match, how was it bad? Different countries have pitches which are conducive to different types of bowling, so India preparing a pitch with low bounce and spinning conditions surely isn't something to complain about if the balance between bat and ball exists (which it did in this match). Although you're totally right about the flat pitches totally favoured to batting India often has had.

Regarding cricketers doing commercials, I don't think it's something inherently bad I mean I understand the frustration if it prevents them from carrying out necesarry preparations but that's really dependent on the individual. Even if the claim Sachin only plays for money were true I don't see how that's a problem if he's one of the best 6 batsmen that India can offer. I think it's worth sticking with him for next year's overseas tours, though if he plans to retire before that he really should retire/be dropped (which will never happen given his status) by now.

artist

Banned
How is it a joke?
I'll find an article rather than typing out a huge post.

artist is holding him self well.
Thanks.

No, fucking no. I absolutely despise opinions like these i.e. legend cricketers should return when armchair couch potatoes think they should ..

artist

Banned
Also India won the Under-19 WORLD CUP beating Australia in the final, both WC's now reside in India :)

149090.jpg

Their run through the tournament was similar to Team India's WC win last year - started off shakily, then started building, knocked out Pakistan, NZ getting knocked out in the semis and India winning the title.

No, fucking no. I absolutely despise opinions like these i.e. legend cricketers should return when armchair couch potatoes think they should ..

I Love him as much as other guy. I wanted him to retire on high note something that can be remembered. He is just a blurry image of his prime now. I hope he continues to play good but it would have added a lot to his legacy if he had retired after wc.

Congrats under 19 team. There is a hope..

artist

Banned
I Love him as much as other guy. I wanted him to retire on high note something that can be remembered. He is just a blurry image of his prime now. I hope he continues to play good but it would have added a lot to his legacy if he had retired after wc.
Well thats like ... your opinion man and there are billions like these out there but only Sachin knows how many more years he can contribute. It's not like he needs the money now either.

There were a lot of people expecting him to retire after the WC and I for one am glad, he didnt. Retiring after the WC would have been pointless and would have come off as he was trying to prolong his career needlessly until India got the title .. Last I checked, Tendulkar was still among the highest run scorers for India in the past test series, so I'm not sure why people are still hounding about this issue. Yeah, he cant score centuries/runs like he used to but he's still contributing a lot to the team, as a player and as a mentor.

He already carried the burden of nation's expectations for more than two decades, the little we can do is give him space in this matter. He deserves it and much more.

Well thats like ... your opinion man and there are billions like these out there but only Sachin knows how many more years he can contribute. It's not like he needs the money now either.

There were a lot of people expecting him to retire after the WC and I for one am glad, he didnt. Retiring after the WC would have been pointless and would have come off as he was trying to prolong his career needlessly until India got the title .. Last I checked, Tendulkar was still among the highest run scorers for India in the past test series, so I'm not sure why people are still hounding about this issue. Yeah, he cant score centuries/runs like he used to but he's still contributing a lot to the team, as a player and as a mentor.

He already carried the burden of nation's expectations for more than two decades, the little we can do is give him space in this matter. He deserves it and much more.

I never said it was something more than that. Yes he knows the best for him.

anyone watching the England vs South Africa game? Amala is quickly becoming one of the best batsman ever!

Meanwhile Pakistan is getting owned by Australia.

Anaslex

Banned
Aussies looking good today. They seem to be more comfortable against spin today ut let's see what happens after Ajmal comes on

artist

Banned
Aussies looking good today. They seem to be more comfortable against spin today ut let's see what happens after Ajmal comes on
In the end, they got a big whoppin' by Pakistan. I saw a few highlights of Jamshed's innings and he looks like he can be a good replacement for the hole left by Saeed Anwar.

artist

Banned
woah with current state he will last few series before being replaced by someone.
True, unless he's a nephew of Miandad or any other famous cricketer. Much like the same situation in BCCI, Srikkanth and his Chennai influence will keep the real talent at bay and instead give all the opportunities to his local players.

Btw, PCB standing up against ICC; http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan/content/current/story/581012.html

Good on them for calling ICC's BS out.

Zapages

awesome victory by Pakistan against India in the Warm up match... Hopefully they perform against them in the real thing for a change.

artist

Banned
lol ... as expected. Anyway, anyone planning on watching the World T20? Scheduling is shit as always, 6am in the morning for me .. ugh.

artist

Banned
Quite a strong showing by England today, whipping Afghanistan aside. Still think favs are England, SL and SA in that order.

Mine are SA, WI , Eng ,Aus , sri, Ind, Pak, Nz , ZIm, AF,Bang

WI kinda got screwed yesterday, either way, still lost against Aus.

Pak won today against NZ, thought NZ would pull it off.

India and England looks interesting, run rate isn't too great for India.
Gambhir should have been out, that looked like plumb.

artist

Banned
wtf eng wtf. My rating remain same but wtf
SA's ability to play spin is as good as England's.
Not that great

Having said that both teams have good bowling attacks which is why they are (still) my top picks.

I'd also say that WI and NZ are the underdogs who could go all the way.

artist

Banned
Minor scare for Pakistan yesterday when Banga piled on 175. Going to be a few great games coming up, hopefully they're all tightly contested games.

Zapages

Great chase by Umar Gul and Umar Akmal today... Afridi and the top ordered sucked against South Africa.

Regardless, Pakistan needs to work on their top order and play more sensibly.

Yesterday's game: England was O_O against West Indies. Great game though West Indies won because of some amazing fielding in the end of it all.

Sri Lanka and NZ was crazy as well due to the super over.

Dynedom

Albie Morkel is really going to have to fight for a place in this side. Is Tsotsobe a bad T20 bowler? Do they really need one more all-rounder?

I don't know if its worth batting this deep if some of your all-rounders become liabilities. Your bowling has to be crisp or gtfo.

Top Bottom