• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Dynedom

It's going to be a really fun final. SL have the psychological advantage (if you can call it that) of beating them the last time they met. Going to be absolutely glorious though. Hopefully the Windies confidence carries into the final as well.

SL fans are going to be in for a treat. Win or lose, it's going to be an incredible match.

artist

Banned
Simon Taufel going out so unlike himself, two horrendous lbw decisions in a row - Bravo's lbw was ball hitting bat (no pad, Bravo was laughing) and Russell's lbw was glove before wicket.

Dynedom

138 is achievable. Incredible bowling by SL, Malinga's last few aside. Did Gayle in for single digits 2 matches in a row.

Game on.

Chili

Simon Taufel going out so unlike himself, two horrendous lbw decisions in a row - Bravo's lbw was ball hitting bat (no pad, Bravo was laughing) and Russell's lbw was glove before wicket.

The 'one short' call didn't look one short at all as well.

artist

Banned
Taufel's worst game is his last, such a shame for the best umpire in the world. WTF was that bullshit one-short call in the end.

what does that mean? West Indies won the toss, they probably inspected the pitch before deciding to bat first....
There is a difference between playing to home advantage and playing one sided. The pitch looks horrendous by international standards, a test might have concluded in under two days. Its irrelevant when the Windies batted.

India pulled same thing during WC. dead pitches that fav there Strenght of batting. Part of home cooking. Can't enjoy it when it helps than complain when it doesn't.

I don't understand this, why is that only India can bat well on "dead pitches?" the other side should also be able bat easily and score runs.

Chili

I don't understand this, why is that only India can bat well on "dead pitches," the other side should also be able bat easily and score runs.

India's strength is it's batting. On a dead pitch they can outbat any team with not having to worry about threatening bowling. You could argue that in that case India should deserve to win on the strength of their batting but cricket is a game of bat and ball but they can prepare pitches where it's all about batting and even the best bowling can be powerless.

artist

Banned
For the record, I'm glad that the pitches in the last WC were dead rather than spjn-heavy so such accusations have no weight behind them.

Chili

I didn't think the World Cup had particularly bad pitches. My issue is more with test matches tending to be boring runfests.

India's strength is it's batting. On a dead pitch they can outbat any team with not having to worry about threatening bowling. You could argue that in that case India should deserve to win on the strength of their batting but cricket is a game of bat and ball but they can prepare pitches where it's all about batting and even the best bowling can be powerless.

I don't know about this, all teams have batting and bowling strengths. If India can bat well on dead pitch, then any other team should be able to bat just as well and beat India. If this was true, all matches being played in India should be high scoring games with at least 500 runs being scored in any given match with minimal wickets taken.

You can't make statements like this without statistics and figures.

Chili

I don't know about this, all teams have batting and bowling strengths. If India can bat well on dead pitch, then any other team should be able to bat just as well and beat India. If this was true, all matches being played in India should be high scoring games with at least 500 runs being scored in any given match with minimal wickets taken.

You can't make statements like this without statistics and figures.

India have an incredible batting line-up. I don't think there's any other team out there that can come close in terms of talent and class. Don't get me wrong - I'm not criticizing India. They play to their strengths and the pitches in that part of the world are naturally going to be a little 'deader' anyway. I just feel generally that the ICC should get more involved in controlling the competitiveness of pitches for the sake of test cricket and restoring the balance of bat and ball.

Anyway, I'm sure this will be discussed in greater detail come England's tour :)

Ugh, I hope this game doesn't come down to Duckworth/Lewis.

India have an incredible batting line-up. I don't think there's any other team out there that can come close in terms of talent and class. Don't get me wrong - I'm not criticizing India. They play to their strengths and the pitches in that part of the world are naturally going to be a little 'deader' anyway. I just feel generally that the ICC should get more involved in controlling the competitiveness of pitches for the sake of test cricket and restoring the balance of bat and ball.

Like I said before, you can't statements like this without statistics and figures. You are making generalized sweeping statement. India batting line-up depends on match to match and who cares about batting strength? The way you are putting it, bowling on Indian pitches is a futile attempt and they are only good for scoring runs. Bring the stats then we will talk.

Top Bottom