• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

artist

Banned
I think the tie itself was even crazier, and not manufactured. They should save Super Overs for matches that require a winner.
It looked manufactured .. I mean SL need 60 runs in 50 balls with 9 wickets and yet they managed to tie in the end. Despite a few good overs by Southee, there were dollies on offer by Nathan McCullum. NZ played the game better, shame it was decided the other way with the super over ..

And as expected, complete abhorrent performance by India. I'll harp on Dhoni again for his insistence on batting first. Dude, you know the forecast was calling for rain and you still had to bat first. Even a Zimbabwe new cap would've known to chase when there is rain in in the forecast. And then they need to stop forcing Irfan Pathan to open the innings, dude can hit but it's not the best choice when all other team's opening pair are winning them games. Get Sehwag back in and you dont need to play 3 spinners.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't like T20. I don't understand it's appeal when it essentially guts most of the technique that one admires cricket for. The constant emphasis on slogging makes skill less important than luck.

Anyone else feel the same?

master15

Since our friend has gone quiet, let me do his usual work;

150422.jpg

Window

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't like T20. I don't understand it's appeal when it essentially guts most of the technique that one admires cricket for. The constant emphasis on slogging makes skill less important than luck.

Anyone else feel the same?

Don't care about T20 at all either. Just waiting for the next test series...

I think many people in the past have suggested that for ODI's and T20's to be meaningful they really need to be played in tournaments featuring multiple countries because otherwise there's just nothing at stake because of the high number of games played. However I guess it's become a necessary evil to have them since that's where I think the cricket boards gain highest profits (which they need to compensate for declining gains from test cricket).

Edit: Actually scratch the above. I'm not making a whole lot of sense by grouping odi and t20's role in cricket today. Different issues exist for the odi format.

Dynedom

SL with a clinic in Pallekele.

If you think that T20's are all about blind slogging, Jayawardena's masterclass shows you can still have finesse in this format.

these t20 matches are just terrible. I think they are made for the usual, impatient and ADD affected Call of Duty players.

I am finding it difficult to watch any of them.

artist

Banned
SL with a clinic in Pallekele.

If you think that T20's are all about blind slogging, Jayawardena's masterclass shows you can still have finesse in this format.
Middle order is still weak/untested. I'm taking SL down from my no.1 spot to 3/4.

Aus is taking it home. Wish SA did.

I hope so and are quietly confident in this Aussie team at the moment.

Good batting, good bowling, good fielding.

All it takes is for something to be on the line for an Aussie team to lift.

Playing T20's at the begining or end of a series is pointless and the reason why our previous T20 record is so poor other than the World cups. Lots of experiments tried in the T20s over the past couple years as well e.g. Bailey, Maxwell, bowling options, giving youngsters like Cummins and Starc super overs to bowl.

about 70% winning rate in T20 world cups, falls below 50% outside of world cups.

But to be honest, its a crappy format of the game. If we win it, so be it. If we lose, meh.

Give me the test series over SA this summer over any world cup, ODI or T20.

artist

Banned
Even though Australia has dominated the most out of any side, they are yet to be tested. All it takes for one game where Watson doesnt click and it's all kaput. At the moment though, Watson has hit the purple patch so dark that it's almost black.

beast786

typical unpredictable amazing Pakistan.

India the ball is in your court.

Sorry Monkey. First we beat SA and then beat Aus which means SA is eliminated

d[-_-]b

Banned
After that disappointing loss to India, I'm glad that we made it to the semi-finals... though against Sri Lanka, well thats a bit rough...

artist

Banned
I'm actually proud of you. Good man :)

Even though Australia has dominated the most out of any side, they are yet to be tested. All it takes for one game where Watson doesnt click and it's all kaput. At the moment though, Watson has hit the purple patch so dark that it's almost black.
Pretty much called it last night ..

d[-_-]b;42773541 said:
After that disappointing loss to India, I'm glad that we made it to the semi-finals... though against Sri Lanka, well thats a bit rough...
Pakistan are still favs in my opinion over SL. At this point I see Aus v Pak in the final, with West Indies being the underdogs.

Zapages

Honestly, I find SL have an advantage over Pakistan due to being home and their dominant performance...

I rather have Pak vs WI than Australia... I am still afraid of what happened back in 99.

artist

Banned
Amla and Kallis in opening. HAHAH HAHAHHA HAHHAHAA. Good bye my team.
Stay strong monkey, SA can bounce back in the test series against SA. Forget about this ..

Kallis' strike rate in this World T20 was 70 :p hehe

Honestly, I find SL have an advantage over Pakistan due to being home and their dominant performance...
I'm not too sure what dominant performance you're talking about SL .. they've never won any major game with dominance (except the one against Eng), the rest of their games were all too close for comfort and they were lucky with that Super Over too, just like WI.

I rather have Pak vs WI than Australia... I am still afraid of what happened back in 99.
Eh, dont worry. This is not the Australia of that era.

You want to take your chances against Gayle?

artist

Banned
I think both Aus/WI are breathing a sigh of relief with today's result. SL is still an relatively easy team to beat.

Zapages

Pakistan well in the tournament, but you know you can't win them all... Good job SL for bowling well.

Afridi should be kicked out of the team for good now. We needed Razzaq. Aside from that, U. Akmal needed to bat higher in the order.

Dynedom

Sri Lanka have a good shot at the final if they bowl and field as well as they did (Malinga is such a horrible fieldeR). They have the benefit of having beaten the Windies already and I don't know if Australia can handle the spin attack at the Premadasa.

Cannot wait.

Definitely can't have Dilshan batting a snorefest in the final though.

artist

Banned
I think it will be day of Gayle Vs Watson. Who ever hits wins. As before Aus is still my favorite. Second is WI.
So same as me then now .. I dont think SL is a tough team to beat, maybe it's because India (despite their middle-of-the-road performances) have always had SL's number.

Dynedom

Xavier Doherty bowling the final over of a T20 semi-final against Kieron Pollard and Chris Gayle is something you expect to hear about in some sort of sketch comedy.

Top Bottom