• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Grug

They've got it. They've used their powerplay to perfection.

Would take a 1999 World Cup Semi Final choke from South Africa to lose it from here.

Disappointing from an Australian perspective that Hilfenhaus and Bracken couldn't pin them down a bit. McGrath and Gillespie were the kings of tightening the screws in the dying overs.

Puck

Banned
Wow. What a game.
I put $100 on SA to win @ 1.50 2 hours ago. Nearly had a heart attack after the collapse. So angry I didn't put money on SA @ 5.00 :((

master15

:( Screw you Albie

Edit: Australia will be absolutely kicking themselves after someone coming back when Dman and Mckenzie were cruising. Hillfy....:/

master15 said:
Fuck me. Saffers just won't die.

Ha! You wouldn't believe me when I said Hilfenhaus wouldn't be able to bowl at the death. Should've had Tait in at the end with Bracken. Albie Morkel destroyed Hilfy. Shades of Klusener there.

At least you've got the T20 crown, eh Grug? :p

Edit: Maybe Duminy will get a look-in for Man of the Match for once? And :lol at Heals expecting a SA collapse in the last two overs.

Grug

Congrats to the South Africans.

Great win in an epic match.

Just what you'd expect from the clear two best cricket teams in the world.

master15

Tim the Wiz said:
Ha! You wouldn't believe me when I said Hilfenhaus wouldn't be able to bowl at the death. Albie Morkel destroyed him. Shades of Klusener there.

Yup, that decision came back to bite us hard right near the end. Warne was rating Morkel beforehand talk about his IPL performances.

Disappointing result, the MCG curse continues :(

Grug

Tim the Wiz said:
Edit: Maybe Duminy will get a look-in for Man of the Match for once? And :lol at Heals expecting a SA collapse in the last two overs.

It was Bill Lawry who was really forecasting the SA crash. Heals said it was over with about an over to go.

Morkel is the correct choice for MOTM.

I'd agree with Morkel, just that Duminy is long overdue. Great save under pressure from Albie.

Speaking of KFC Fillers, I had one today and it's not bad. I can still feel it now several hours later, though.

artist

Banned
What a match, loved always when SA grinds it out. :lol :lol :lol If only Smith wasnt injured, this would have been a one-sided match. :D

tri_willy

epic win by the saffers, damn that 18 runs in one over conceded by hilfy was due to poor fielding through taaaaiiiiiiit and bracks but credit to albie for taking the game when it counted most

Grug

tri_willy said:
epic win by the saffers, damn that 18 runs in one over conceded by hilfy was due to poor fielding through taaaaiiiiiiit and bracks but credit to albie for taking the game when it counted most

Yeah, really not sold on Tait.

What was with his middle spells where he was just bowling 135km/h pies?

If he doesn't have his blistering speed, he hasn't got much else to offer in terms of tricks.

Dude has issues.

irfan said:
If only Smith wasnt injured, this would have been a one-sided match.

Not sure about it being totally one-sided, but the South African team definitely would have been much stronger. However, Gibbs looked to be coming around on Friday before getting knocked over, even if its doubtful that he'll make it to the World Cup at only a month from 35 unless he starts churning out some runs soon. Furthermore, the middle order between Duminy and Albie Morkel will look a lot better when AB De Villiers returns.

Potential 2011 RSA WC side:

Smith
Amla
Duminy
Kallis
McKenzie
De Villiers
Boucher
Morkel
Botha
Morkel/Ntini
Steyn

Pretty scary, huh?

Grug said:
If he doesn't have his blistering speed, he hasn't got much else to offer in terms of tricks.

Yeah, Tait has to build some endurance and maybe add some more deliveries into his repertoire. Otherwise, Warner and Marsh is a great opening pair. M Hussey should stick to playing the Bevan role.

Grug said:
Just what you'd expect from the clear two best cricket teams in the world.

Deluded Aussie. Have you already forgotten how clueless you looked in India? About 3/4 aussies would get into a mixed team with India how can you say you are better. Hell now England have got rid of Moores even the ashes are up for grabs.

Sehwag
Gambhir
Ponting
Tendulkar
Hussey
Dhoni (c)
Watson/Mishra(depending how many spinners you need)
Harbhachan
Johnson
Ishant
Zaheer

Cerebral Assassin said:
Deluded Aussie. Have you already forgotten how clueless you looked in India? About 3/4 aussies would get into a mixed team with India how can you say you are better. Hell now England have got rid of Moores even the ashes are up for grabs.

:lol Australia has dropped down a few levels, but as low as England? You're having a laugh! </Ricky Gervais> Until India win a major Test series abroad (Sri Lanka, South Africa and Australia say hi from the last two summers!), I wouldn't rate them above Australia. Neither would I rate Australia above India at the moment.

South Africa are clearly on top in the Test series stakes, with Australia and India trailing just behind. India mauling New Zealand at home will be a good start to conquering that number two spot. Same with Australia looking to be competitive in South Africa and clinically beating England in the Ashes.

If they both accomplish those goals, it looks like the top tier will be very competitive for years to come, which I view as an excellent thing. We've become too used to one team dominating the entire game and cricketing dynasties that span over decades, with the legendary West Indies squad of the 70s, 80s and early 90s and Waugh's new breed of Invincibles. Although, if South Africa keep up their increasingly impressive unbeaten run in Test series and become more ruthless, they're a young side that could definitely go that distance. Australia need to rebuild their squad for a few years (although nowhere near as dire as the late 80s), and India will have to start thinking about their aging middle order.

Cerebral Assassin said:
Sehwag
Gambhir
Ponting
Tendulkar
Hussey
Dhoni (c)
Watson/Mishra(depending how many spinners you need)
Harbhachan
Johnson
Ishant
Zaheer

Decent team. I would take Stuart Clark over either Mishra or Ishant, though.

NZer

I'd just like to say that if we're talking about teams at the top of the game atm, it has to be SA, Australia and India. Last summer they played some great cricket in Australia and we all know how important the poor umpiring was in that series result. Add the series in India and it seems to me they are certainly around Australia's level, if not higher (i'm not going to stress that though, because it's very arguable). An India, SA, Australia tri-series would have been epic.

Tim the Wiz said:
:lol Australia has dropped down a few levels, but as low as England? You're having a laugh! </Ricky Gervais> Until India win a major Test series abroad (Sri Lanka, South Africa and Australia say hi from the last two summers!), I wouldn't rate them above Australia. Neither would I rate Australia above India at the moment.

Decent team. I would take Stuart Clark over either Mishra or Ishant, though.

India beat England in England last time they played here and I think they go to SA later this year which should be a great series to watch. I agree Australia should win the Ashes but if England pick a decent coach they should have a chance with an average team which wouldn't have been the case at most points in the last 10 years.

To be honest I forgot about Stuart Clark but isn't he injured?

NZer said:
An India, SA, Australia tri-series would have been epic.

The stuff of motherfucking legends. A double-tour of each country every year is a dream. However, that wouldn't happen because it'd stack the deck against lower order teams getting game time with top tier squads.

tri_willy

Tim the Wiz said:
Not sure about it being totally one-sided, but the South African team definitely would have been much stronger. However, Gibbs looked to be coming around on Friday before getting knocked over, even if its doubtful that he'll make it to the World Cup at only a month from 35 unless he starts churning out some runs soon. Furthermore, the middle order between Duminy and Albie Morkel will look a lot better when AB De Villiers returns.

Potential 2011 RSA WC side:

Smith
Amla
Duminy
Kallis
McKenzie
De Villiers
Boucher
Morkel
Botha
Morkel/Ntini
Steyn

Pretty scary, huh?

Kallis and McKenzie look pretty suspect in that lineup imo. Kallis is getting older balder and fatter and there's no guarantee he'll get a place in the world cup. Not sure of any other potential batters from the Saffers domestic circuit but time will tell unless Vaughn van Jaarsveld gets a shot somehow. Can't see Ntini making the lineup, he's approaching the end of his career imo.

Cerebral Assassin said:
India beat England in England last time they played here and I think they go to SA later this year which should be a great series to watch. I agree Australia should win the Ashes but if England pick a decent coach they should have a chance with an average team which wouldn't have been the case at most points in the last 10 years.

To be honest I forgot about Stuart Clark but isn't he injured?

England is struggling to be more than a par side at the moment. Personally, I think there's more at fault than just the coach there. Sri Lanka should definitely be rated above them, which is why I emphasized India's loss there. That being said, I'll be looking forward to the Indian tour in South Africa. Definitely an opportunity for India to surprise all the skeptics of their claim to number one status - myself included.

Clark will be back for the South African tour.

tri_willy said:
Kallis and McKenzie look pretty suspect in that lineup imo. Kallis is getting older balder and fatter and there's no guarantee he'll get a place in the world cup. Not sure of any other potential batters from the Saffers domestic circuit but time will tell unless Vaughn van Jaarsveld gets a shot somehow. Can't see Ntini making the lineup, he's approaching the end of his career imo.

Kallis will probably make it. He's a classy all-rounder; has been decent with the bat and resurgent with the ball of late. The next two years will be crucial, but I doubt he'll miss the next World Cup now that the pressure is off him to be the team's major catalyst.

McKenzie hasn't impressed in Australia, but he was playing quite well (record-breaking opening stand with Graeme Smith, double century and scoring over a 1000 runs in 2008, y'know, the usual) earlier this summer against Bangladesh, England and India in the Tests. He'll probably make it unless van Jaarsveld, Gibbs or someone else can prove their credentials with the bat over him.

Ntini is younger than Brett Lee.

tri_willy

Tim the Wiz said:
England is struggling to be more than a par side at the moment. Personally, I think there's more at fault than just the coach there. Sri Lanka should definitely be rated above them, which is why I emphasized India's loss there. That being said, I'll be looking forward to the Indian tour in South Africa. Definitely an opportunity for India to surprise all the skeptics of their claim to number one status - myself included.

Clark will be back for the South African tour.

i'd like to see how australia would handle mendis from sri lanka. if anything, he could potentially be the best spin bowler for the next several years.

Sri Lanka have been exceptionally fortunate to find someone like Mendis as Murali approaches retirement. He's already up there as one of the best spin bowlers in the world, in my opinion.

master15

Got to feel sorry for Warner, such high expectations and everyone keeps replaying and showing his amazing innings everytime he goes out there. Steyn got him with a corker!

Marsh and Pointing looking solid here, they will be eyeing a big total if they can keep wickets in hand. Saffers dropping catches again...

artist

Banned
master15 said:
Got to feel sorry for Warner, such high expectations and everyone keeps replaying and showing his amazing innings everytime he goes out there. Steyn got him with a corker!
I guess people are anxious to get a replacement for the big hole left by Gilchrist and Hayden.

master15 said:
Marsh and Pointing looking solid here, they will be eyeing a big total if they can keep wickets in hand. Saffers dropping catches again...
Spoke too soon, both gone with Gibbs taking a good catch. Hussey brothers in, I cant remember when David has played a decent knock.

Tim the Wiz said:
Sri Lanka have been exceptionally fortunate to find someone like Mendis as Murali approaches retirement. He's already up there as one of the best spin bowlers in the world, in my opinion.
He's good but his real test will be when batsmen figure him out. How'll he adapt, that would be the real test in regards to replacing Murali.

tri_willy

mike just gone with a poor shot really. lets hope theres some big hitting from white and dj hussey. steyn and duminy doing a good job restricting the aussies run rate

master15

Story of the summer, South Africa fighting back and striking with a few wickets and some rather ordinary dismissals it must be said.

Marsh in particular will be kicking himself...

master15

This is ugly. Australia self-imploding here BIG time. Ugh...what should have been a total around 300, at this stage Australia look like they would be lucky to splutter to 250.

I'm not sure if it's amazing bowling by Saffers or just dumb batting.

master15

And they couldn't even get 250. Some godawful batting and some solid bowling. With their lineup unless a miracle happens they should make mince meat of this total.

tri_willy

shocking innings from several of the aussie batsmen. getting 300 should be standard given what happened last time. for now i'll have to say the saffers should win, if the aussies couldnt freaking defend 434, then what chance can they defend 250???

Didn't realize De Villiers would be playing today. That strengthens the South African middle order quite a bit with Duminy and Albie in hand for clutch.

Nice 50 from Kallis. If he can get a century here, this game is all over for Australia.

Grug

With three forms of the game being played in such rapid succession, some players really seem to be struggling with how they pace their game appropriately for what format they are playing.

Grug

Cerebral Assassin said:
Deluded Aussie.

Have you already forgotten how clueless you looked in India? About 3/4 aussies would get into a mixed team with India how can you say you are better. Hell now England have got rid of Moores even the ashes are up for grabs.

India is the hardest tour in world cricket. They play exceptionally well at home, Gilly leading Australia to a series win there a few years back is up there with any of the achievements of the Australian cricket team in the past 15 years.

Time will tell whether Australia is in serious decline or just in a transitional shift but like other posters have said, for India to really press their authority as a test super power, they need to win a tour in South Africa or Australia. That's just the way it is champ. Australia and South Africa are THE two top test sides. The ICC ranking system is pretty well structured IMO.

Anyone who has followed cricket for a substantial period of time understands the web and flows that occur in form. Anyone talking of the future in definitive terms invariably ends up with egg on their face. I'm tickled pink to see that apparently sacking a coach is cause of rampant optimism these days. Surely the birthplace of cricket has more to hang their hat on than that?

Plenty of wickets in hand for SA here... should be able to do this comfortably from here.

Grug

Jeez it felt like we were doing everything we could to lose that.

You should have heard the language I was spraying at Hilfenhaus in the 48th over. :lol Some of it involved accusing him of that great Tasmanian past time... incest.

Great game. Just six runs in it. Blows the series wide open, going to be a classic.

South Africa have to advance Duminy in the lineup, maybe even at three. That guy will keep the run-rate ticking high with infinite singles throughout the innings from near the start, in my opinion. Which is what South Africa sorely missed today. And give Gibbs the license to smash at it from the start. You can't leave it to Albie to hit your way out of it every game. This was a case of holding wickets at the cost of the run-rate.

Bracken's bowling in the last ten overs was extraordinary, though. Fantastic bowler.

Top Bottom