• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Absolutely demolished.

Losing Bracken was a big blow and placed an emphasis on the lack of bowling depth and variety in the current Australian ODI squad, not counting several vital injuries. However, I would say that the low willingness to try out bowlers of Clark's ilk, such as Bollinger, is what precipitated this type of situation. Out and out fast bowlers like Tait and Hilfenhaus, who aren't as prolific in the areas of variety and consistency, can't be the only quality bowlers (yes, everyone else there - Hauritz, etc - shouldn't be rated as international quality) to make up a limited overs bowling attack.

As for South Africa, great to see them take the series in such dominant fashion. Amla finally made a big score (staying not out at 80) and delivered on all the talent he's promised over the ODI series. De Villiers also made a good comeback innings with 82 from his minor injury. Quite something for a team that cast itself as underdogs coming into this series. Hopefully they won't slow down in the dead rubber as they did in the Test series. The return tour in South Africa will be very interesting with the Australians now the underdogs in both forms of the game and Smith coming back into the SA batting lineup.

I would say that the next World Cup is now highly in doubt for Australia, but don't panic. To combat this, they need to develop Warner, and get Clark, Lee, Watson and Symonds once more fit and firing. The selectors also need to start working hard at pushing more variety into the backup bowlers. Bracken and Clark can't be the only ones able to slow the run rate down.

If the Kiwis beat Australia, then it's probably time to panic. :p

artist

Banned
wbCRICsymonds_narrowweb__300x469,0.jpg

"You better call other people a lump of shit when your own team isnt playing like one"
:lol :lol :lol

Grug

Never had a hope with that pitiful batting total, especially with no Bracken.

Was camping with mates for Australia Day and there was debate on whether to have the cricket or the Triple J hottest 100 on the radio. I think I'm glad the Hottest 100 won out.

No point writing the World Cup off at this stage though. Things looked even more dismal than this in the year or so leading up to the 1999 World Cup. Gilly's autobiography explains it all very well.

A year is a long time in cricket. We have the batting talent on paper, they just need to find form at the same time. A fit Symonds, Clark and Lee lifts the class of the side immeasurably.

Biggest problem remaining is finding a genuine wicket taking spinner. An utter pipe dream seemingly in the short term. You'd think a generation of kids growing up on watching Shane Warne bowl would have resulted in a raft of young wrist spinners coming through, but it hasn't happened. Someone dropped the ball.

tri_willy

poor amla missed out on a century, he must be pissed after being a bit patient for his 97 (117). mckenzie batting like shit, looks like he's borderline. here comes albie!!!

Puck

Banned
What a total.
I hope SAs inexperienced bowlers can take it to the openers.

I have $20 on SA to win @ 2.50. let's go motherfuckers!

tri_willy

what a sickening collision between albie and van jaarsveld. both go for the ball and van jaars slides and albie takes a massive corky? and flies pretty high up

tri_willy

looks like you got teh cash puck. aussies owned. looking forward to the game against the kiwi's. im sure they would give the aussies are hard time too

South Africa now the number one ODI side. Great series win!

The psychological advantage they take into the return tour is massive, especially with Stuart Clark missing with injury.

Grug

We'll get slaughtered in SA. I doubt most of our players believe they can beat South Australia at present.

We couldn't lose to the Kiwis....

.... could we? ;)

artist

Banned
"We're still the No.1 team in the world ... " Oh wait! :lol :lol :lol

T20 gone, ODI gone. All that is remaining is the test title and even that is pretty close to gone. Good times .. mate? :D

Grug

I still have Irfan on ignore, but I suspect with the fact he seems to show up after each Australian loss is that he's still trying to drag the level of discourse down to petty trolling again?

tri_willy

irfan said:
"We're still the No.1 team in the world ... " Oh wait! :lol :lol :lol

T20 gone, ODI gone. All that is remaining is the test title and even that is pretty close to gone. Good times .. mate? :D

oh yes, and i suppose india are the no.1 team??? oh wait, they're not!!! good on the saffers for winning and not WHINING!!!

artist

Banned
tri_willy said:
oh yes, and i suppose india are the no.1 team??? oh wait, they're not!!! good on the saffers for winning and not WHINING!!!
India is No.1 in T20 and pretty close in both ODI & Test. I've never shown any denial about this fact, like some deluded Aussies did and refused to come face to the reality that their team is not No.1 anymore. :lol

Grug

tri_willy said:

Twenty20 rankings... :lol

There is a reason the ICC doesn't even bother publishing them on their website. :lol

Something a bit sad about the fact that an Indian supporter finds more satisfaction in watching the inevitable down period of one of the most dominant eras ever enjoyed by a sporting team than reveling in the considerable achievements of his own side.

Personally, as an Australian cricket fan, I've got enough memories to last a lifetime. I will bore my grandkids shitless with stories about Allan Border, David Boon, Steve Waugh, Dean Jones, Adam Gilchrist, Matt Hayden, Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath.

The next test will be to see if our rebuild will be long and painful or a blip on the radar. Very interesting days ahead. Despite the continual attempts (by one or two trolls who choose to squat here from time to time) to paint us as otherwise, you'd struggle to find an Australian supporter in this thread who has begrudged the South Africans any of the success they have attained on this tour. No effigies burned, no suggestions of abandoning the series, no accusations of crooked umpiring. What a great tour, played in the right spirit.

artist

Banned
Its the same old Aussie mantra, which ever area you are not No.1 in, does not matter! I guess the other two forms will soon wont matter either. :lol

Mate!

irfan said:
Its the same old Aussie mantra, which ever area you are not No.1 in, does not matter! I guess the other two forms will soon wont matter either. :lol

Mate!

"Make them grovel!" You're starting to sound like Tony Greig. Heh.

Yes, many current Australian cricket fans have a bit of hubris to them, but to be fair, they've been on top of the world for a long time. However, they haven't always been number one. (See: 70s, 80s, early 90s) They're now back to where they used to be. Not the best team in the world, rather merely one of the best. Fact is, that's still a pretty good place to be, so I don't know what you're expecting from those fans. To deny the potential of their team to bounce back?

I don't see Vettori (Kiwi captain) saying the upcoming ODI series will be a walkover, I hear him describing the Australian side as "very good" and a "challenge", even if their confidence is rightly up after a good Windies tour and cracks visible in the Australian batting lineup.

Ultimately, I can see where you're coming from irfan. Like with Fox News, though, it would be a stretch to describe your presentation of thoughts as "fair and balanced". (Yes, I know, how can anyone be "balanced" when presenting an opinion? Not my fault they coined the term!)

Take this for instance: "India is No.1 in T20 and pretty close in both ODI & Test."

Yes, but then Australian fans could quickly point out they are officially the number one Test side in the world and the number two ODI side. Is that really true? I'd say no. How close are South Africa and India? I'm not really sure, but I think South Africa are better. What does that say for the rankings? They'll be more accurate by the end of this year when the top sides get to play more cricket with each other. (SA v Aus return tour next month; Ashes middle of this year; India v NZ soon and India v SA later this year)

Sidenote: As for T20, undoubtedly India are the current champions of that format with a World Cup to boot. However, even when Australia was whipping South Africa in the two T20 games before the ODI series, Grug was pretty consistent with his criticism of the format. So, your argument there is a bit blunted.

artist

Banned
Grug said:
Despite the continual attempts (by one or two trolls who choose to squat here from time to time) to paint us as otherwise, you'd struggle to find an Australian supporter in this thread who has begrudged the South Africans any of the success they have attained on this tour. No effigies burned, no suggestions of abandoning the series, no accusations of crooked umpiring. What a great tour, played in the right spirit.
Pot.Kettle.Black.

No one on this board burned any effigies during the Australian tour and the Monkey incident. :lol There need not be any accusations, that tour will go down in the history as the most pathetically umpired in the history of cricket, next to the "body-line" series. Rest in peace my friend, or rather Mate!.

Tim the Wiz said:
"Make them grovel!" You're starting to sound like Tony Greig. Heh.

Yes, many current Australian cricket fans have a bit of hubris to them, but to be fair, they've been on top of the world for a long time. However, they haven't always been number one. (See: 70s, 80s, early 90s) They're now back to where they used to be. Not the best team in the world, rather merely one of the best. Fact is, that's still a pretty good place to be, so I don't know what you're expecting from those fans. To deny the potential of their team to bounce back?

I don't see Vettori (Kiwi captain) saying the upcoming ODI series will be a walkover, I hear him describing the Australian side as "very good" and a "challenge", even if their confidence is rightly up after a good Windies tour and cracks visible in the Australian batting lineup.

Ultimately, I can see where you're coming from irfan. Like with Fox News, though, it would be a stretch to describe your presentation of thoughts as "fair and balanced". (Yes, I know, how can anyone be "balanced" when presenting an opinion? Not my fault they coined the term!)

Take this for instance: "India is No.1 in T20 and pretty close in both ODI & Test."

Yes, but then Australian fans could quickly point out they are officially the number one Test side in the world and the number two ODI side. Is that really true? I'd say no. How close are South Africa and India? I'm not really sure, but I think South Africa are better. What does that say for the rankings? They'll be more accurate by the end of this year when the top sides get to play more cricket with each other. (SA v Aus return tour next month; Ashes middle of this year; India v NZ soon and India v SA later this year)
Completely agreed. I'm more forthcoming with respect to accepting reality than the fanatics on either sides, especially on this board, although that would be narrowing it down to one (yellow) side. :p

Tim the Wiz said:
Sidenote: As for T20, undoubtedly India are the current champions of that format with a World Cup to boot. However, even when Australia was whipping South Africa in the two T20 games before the ODI series, Grug was pretty consistent with his criticism of the format. So, your argument there is a bit blunted.
Inspite of the whipping, they arent the top side. He has a reason. :lol

medrew

23/2 after 9 overs.

Oh god I know it's early but I just want to get the lube out and get it over with. Actaully I probably should do that now since NZ don't have a good history of converting their starts against Oz.

medrew

I am actually starting to feel sorry for the Aussies right now. Two consecutive run-outs and they 51 are for 4. This is some bat-shit insane desperation stuff.

Heads will start to roll soon in the Aussie camp.

Oh who am I kidding I love it. Still two more key wickets to get.

Puck

Banned
Don't worry guys.. we have no chance in this game.
Lucky for me though, i bet $30 when NZ were 4.50 to win after the first few overs (lol).

Grug

Some of our players just seem emotionally over it and don't want to be playing cricket right now.

The disappointing thing for me is that when India were out here last summer that even when our batsmen (consistently) failed to fire, our bowlers were able to stand up.

Now when our bowling stocks are utterly decimated by injury, our batsmen are failing to do their part.

Definitely time to swing the axe at a few people who have become too comfortable. Give Lee Carseldine a crack. His form this summer has been fantastic.

Rankings be damned at the moment, lets not kid ourselves, the Ashes is the most valuable prize as fa as Australian test cricket goes, we need to right the ship by then, even if that means treating the South African tour as an experiment.

Grug

Mitchell!!!!

We're back in this in a big way.

Got to be happy with taking 2 wickets and only giving away one run in an entire powerplay.

Fulton wasn't scoring though, may have been better to keep him in.

Taylor is the wicket we need.

medrew

medrew said:
Actaully I probably should do that now since NZ don't have a good history of converting their starts against Oz.

How predictable. NZ top order batting collapse. Happens everytime. I don't think even if the ump got the horrendous McCullum lbw call right that it would have made any difference. Oh well, maybe Vettori will put in one of his 40 run efforts with the bat

tri_willy

medrew said:
Dirty fucking cheating Aussies.

And 28 years to the day for the underarm incident.

Fuck off you crims.

:lol there there...

anyone who gets bowled out by mj pups must be a pretty shite batsmen

Grug

That's not pretty.

Probably happened too quick for Haddin to realise what had happened, but he'll feel sick when he looks at it later.

Leave the racist shit out of it though. Irfan killed the last thread with some puerile stuff.

medrew

He wasn't bowled.

And just another 'wicket' credited to Clarke when there wasn't one given credence to his rep of being an arrogant twat.

tri_willy

whoa, i partly take back that comment bout being shite getting bowled by pups, didnt notice the shit going on with haddin, will this cause controversy???

also if tim southee can fire with the bat, the kiwis may get there

medrew

No he won't. He has a supporting cast of Mills, Vettori, Patel, Southee and O'Brien. In other words genuine tailenders (Vettori excepted).

Normally I wouldn't particularly care either way since no-one expects the Black Caps to win anything. But I detest Clarke, Haddin and Pointing. Wankers the lot of them.

At least we will have something else to complain about for another 20 years if this is a close loss.

Grug

medrew said:
No he won't. He has a supporting cast of Mills, Vettori, Patel, Southee and O'Brien. In other words genuine tailenders.

Normally I wouldn't particularly care either way since no-one expects the Black Caps to win. But I detest Clarke, Haddin and Pointing. Wankers the lot of them.

What the fuck? Are you new to NZ Cricket?

Vettori is the king of getting you guys home. Even I have a total mancrush on the bloke.

medrew

I stealth edited. :lol

No, I would have seen most of Vettori's ODI games. Can still remember the day he got called up as a teenager.

edit: I just don't like Mills.

Grug

Based on the replays, I really dont think Haddin knew what happened.

He probably felt bails, fingers and ball simultaneously. He looked at the square leg umpire for clarification.

Please don't compare it to the underarm incident. That will only downplay what a truly disgraceful incident that really was.

snaildog

His average will always be way below his talent, because he started his days at number 11. He averages 40 in tests from his innings batting at number 8.

And Mills has always been promising, let's see what he can do when he's not slogging at number 9.

medrew

I've calmed down now. At least there's still the power play to come.

(And I would never compare it to the underarm, but it is the anniversary today of the incident.)

Top Bottom