• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

master15

How we managed to defend score of 250 I will never know. I think thanks in part to South Africa really falling below the curve early on and having to play catch up. Still when Hilfy was being taken to town in the 48th over I was having bad MCG flashbacks, thankfully he was able to control himself with final over and seal a good victory by the Aussies.

Bracken really showed his supreme skill in that final spell with variation and where he was pitching the ball, superb death bowling. I am totally not sold on Hilfy bowling during the death, but man is he getting a good work out and experience.

Grug said:
India is the hardest tour in world cricket. They play exceptionally well at home, Gilly leading Australia to a series win there a few years back is up there with any of the achievements of the Australian cricket team in the past 15 years.

Time will tell whether Australia is in serious decline or just in a transitional shift but like other posters have said, for India to really press their authority as a test super power, they need to win a tour in South Africa or Australia. That's just the way it is champ. Australia and South Africa are THE two top test sides. The ICC ranking system is pretty well structured IMO.

If it was well structured SA would be comfortably on top(look at the difference in results in India 1st test aside Australia looked pretty woeful). India are in SA later this year and then you will see the 2 best test sides playing.

Anyone who has followed cricket for a substantial period of time understands the web and flows that occur in form. Anyone talking of the future in definitive terms invariably ends up with egg on their face.
And anyone who has followed cricket for a substantial period of time (and could you be more condesending btw?) has seen the end of dynasties before this looks extremely similar.
I'm tickled pink to see that apparently sacking a coach is cause of rampant optimism these days. Surely the birthplace of cricket has more to hang their hat on than that?

They do but it was fairly obvious that Moores wasn't up to the job(taking 3 games to pick a spinner in india....Ian Bell still playing.... No Vaughn.....lack of a spinning coach)Australia should still win the Ashes but England will fancy their chances(and with a worse team than 2005)

tri_willy

Cerebral Assassin said:
If it was well structured SA would be comfortably on top(look at the difference in results in India 1st test aside Australia looked pretty woeful). India are in SA later this year and then you will see the 2 best test sides playing.

And anyone who has followed cricket for a substantial period of time (and could you be more condesending btw?) has seen the end of dynasties before this looks extremely similar.

They do but it was fairly obvious that Moores wasn't up to the job(taking 3 games to pick a spinner in india....Ian Bell still playing.... No Vaughn.....lack of a spinning coach)Australia should still win the Ashes but England will fancy their chances(and with a worse team than 2005)

i'll consider india a top 2 side once they beat australia in australia without any excuses of poor umpiring.

tri_willy said:
i'll consider india a top 2 side once they beat australia in australia without any excuses of poor umpiring.

If India were playing in Australia tomorrow the world(outside of you Aussies) would put them favourites( South Africa showed what a good team looks like in India, Australia looked more like a England team a couple of good sessions here and there but overall outclassed)

Ok I'll consider Australia a top 2 side when they can beat either India or South Africa in a live test match( in fact when was the last time Australia won a test series not against West Indies or NZ)

tri_willy

Cerebral Assassin said:
If India were playing in Australia tomorrow the world(outside of you Aussies) would put them favourites( South Africa showed what a good team looks like in India, Australia looked more like a England team a couple of good sessions here and there but overall outclassed)

a shame they wont be able to face each other as it is then

snaildog

Tim the Wiz said:
India mauling New Zealand at home will be a good start to conquering that number two spot.
Don't count on it. Although our test team is a joke, India always seem to play like shit here.

Puck

Banned
Aus looking to be in good form. The pace attack can be devastating. Especially bracken who is in great form.

Will be interesting to see how warner goes.. will tomorrows headlines read 'yawwwwwwwwwner' :p

As for the 20/20 big bash final, that looks to be a good game too. Good on NSW for changing things up imo. They will need all they can get to beat the vics who have had the title far too long. I do feel for the NSW keeper though.

master15

I sadly missed Warner unleashing :(

At the moment Hopes unable to score off Duminy and incurrying dot balls is making me very angry. Again Saffers fight back and what could have been a 300 plus total is looking more 270.

tri_willy

whoa, major wtf is going on here!!! aussies were so set on getting 300 and im sure they had around 7 wickets in hand since the 30th over. last time i saw aussies were at least 3/170 or so just b4 the 30 over mark to end up bowled out for 269??? im pretty disappointed with that performance, will really be surprised if the proteas dont win now

master15

Yup those chances, especially the Hussey catch you expect to take at this leve. Now Gibbs will make them pay no doubt.

Meanwhile Amla's on his bike thanks to some sloppy running.

Puck

Banned
Damn.. you snooze you lose i guess.
Was going to throw money @ SA to win, but now;;
Australia v South Africa - LIVE * 2.25 1.63
:(

edit: 3 mins later;
Australia v South Africa - LIVE * 2.60 1.50

master15

Aussie striking back hard here with Duminy and Pigfucker gone. And Just my luck all the internet streams for this game are down now....argh

master15

In all honesty we should have left Mckenzie out there and struggle, he was hogging the strike and getting no runs.

Here comes Saffers golden goose; Morkel. Again they are banking on powerplay for the win.

master15

As I suspected Mckenzie getting out and Morkel in is probably worse thing to happen to Aussies at this stage :p

We need him gone otherwise he will waltz away with the game.

master15

Aussies need a wicket in next over or two otherwise it's all over red rover.

edit: Albie wins the game in this over. Ahh :(

As suspected Aussies were 20-30 short thanks to terrible last 10 overs and battling display. Good work Saffers.

Edit: Goooone...to little too late unfortuntely.

tri_willy

master15 said:
As I suspected Mckenzie getting out and Morkel in is probably worse thing to happen to Aussies at this stage :p

We need him gone otherwise he will waltz away with the game.

lol that was planned. mckenzie knew he was in for a shithole should he have lasted any longer. albie ftw!!! hauritz = useless, selectors wtf are you guys thinking!?

Grug

Didnt get to see this match.

Hauritz bowling at the death is a joke though. He just isn't international standard.

Albie does it again. The backup from a stellar Gibbs and Kallis innings earlier in the run chase made it all look very comfortable. Some poor Australian bowling apart from the inimitable Bracken might have helped, too. Johnson's figures of 1/71 were quite a surprise after the summer he's had.

And congrats to Kallis, eighth man to 10,000 ODI runs, with the highest batting average of that 10k club and the eighth highest ODI average overall. Another two or three years and he'll be in Ganguly/ul-Haq territory.

Puck

Banned
Imagine if Smith was not injured.. imo SA would be winning quite easily. AU really haven't been very impressive the whole summer.

artist

Banned
Puck said:
Imagine if Smith was not injured.. imo SA would be winning quite easily. AU really haven't been very impressive the whole summer.
Exactly what I said on the previous page. There is a significant gap between SA & AUS. :lol

Grug

Puck said:

South Africa aren't the only team with injuries. Brett Lee, Stuart Clark and Shane Watson are significant outs for Australia too.

Puck

Banned
Eh, doesn't look like lee has any venom left. He was running flat in the test series. Clark is more of a consistent McGrath than a big wicket taker like AU need at the moment. Watson is half decent with the bat, i don't feel his bowling is that great.

Anyways, tonight;
New South Wales v Victoria 1.73 2.12

Who will win the 20/20 final?!

I really want to see McCullum fire off and get a massive score, but i feel he is either going to get out for <10 or >100. Hopefully the gamble of playing him pulls off.
NSW will bat first and Victoria will struggle in the chase without hodge imo.

Grug

Puck said:
Eh, doesn't look like lee has any venom left. He was running flat in the test series. Clark is more of a consistent McGrath than a big wicket taker like AU need at the moment. Watson is half decent with the bat, i don't feel his bowling is that great.

Bit unfair to write Lee off after one test series, has a few good years left in him once he gets his body and mind right. He's had a hell of a year off the field. Cut him some slack.

As for Stuart Clark... we need someone who can pin batsmen down in ODI's and restrict the run-rate. Bracken can't do it all by himself. If we had Clark playing last night, we would have been a much bigger chance in those final overs.

As for Watson, you might not rate his bowling, but most people do, he can bowl to a line and length in pressure situations, and once again, would have been extremely handy last night. Clark in for Johnson, and Watson in for Hauritz and that game was ours.

Yes Smith is a massive out for South Africa, but to try and downplay the importance of players of the calibre of Lee, Clark and (to a lesser extent) Watson is borderline certifiable.

As for the T20 final... this is a cricket thread, try and stay on topic. ;) Seriously though, hope the Blues can win. Always good to see the Vics knocked down a peg or two. :D

Puck

Banned
NSW looking good in run chase, 25/0 after 3 chasing 166.

I really hope NSW better Vics 7 6's this innings though.. was playing $2 so i bet $4 :(. Don't want to lose my lunch money!!

master15

I actually think the biggest lost for Aussies at the moment is an in form Symonds in the middle order. In all three games Australia have scored much less then they would have liked from either the beginning partnerships or the way they were projected and in each game the middle order has failed to capitalize on things and push forward.

Our innings have lacked impetus near the end and sort of fizzled out (Perfect example was last night), something an in form Symo would have handled.

tri_willy

Grug said:
Bracken has injured his calf and will miss at least the next ODI.

We're screwed now.

we were pretty much screwed when the selectors fucked up on who to utilise, but yea no bracks will fuck em even more. il consider the aussies a chance if they drop hauritz for starters

Puck

Banned
AU vs SA tomorrow. 4th ODI. SA lead 2-1.
SA changes: boucher out with broken toe, kallis minor injury, may miss game or not bowl.
AU changes: bracken out, white in, hopes/hilfenhous/tait/johnson are bowlers.

Odds are quite funny;

ODI series winner:
South Africa 1.52
Australia 2.50

Tomorrows game:
Australia 1.67
South Africa 2.22

Top Bottom