• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Nice to see the Australia A v England game is live on free to air TV. Though I imagine none of the Australian bowlers will trouble the selectors too much. As Mike Hussey just said, the best thing you can say about them is that it looks like they will get their 90 overs in under time!

SA's away record isnt better by a significant margin either. Forgot the 2-0 drubbing in UAE?

First ball duck by Kallis. Party at monkey's house.

Let us see what he does in second innings. I am confident he will do great. I honestly think he will retire if he thinks he can not contribute. I hope that day does not come before SA wins next world cup. He deserves cup.

SA are kitties at home too, well deserved boos from the crowd.

Kallis failing miserably in this match is the cherry though, he should quit.

Kallis took 4 wikets. He was not able to score much. This match was in SA hands. I do not know what went wrong but they lost it. This was not draw. I am sad but i am sure they will bounce back.

The story for me was amla and his two outs. I have never seen him this weak. Indian bowlers are mediocre at the best. Both kallis and amla should not have trouble at all.

artist

Banned
Kallis took 4 wikets. He was not able to score much. This match was in SA hands. I do not know what went wrong but they lost it. This was not draw. I am sad but i am sure they will bounce back.

The story for me was amla and his two outs. I have never seen him this weak. Indian bowlers are mediocre at the best. Both kallis and amla should not have trouble at all.
So what? The guy is clearing way past his prime and expiry date, he should stop hogging the spot and give it to a young SA bloke who can start grinding confidence at home and maybe take it to Australia in the WC next year.

Clearly Kallis is being selfish and needs to retire. I would term this a terribly mediocre Kallis.

So what? The guy is clearing way past his prime and expiry date, he should stop hogging the spot and give it to a young SA bloke who can start grinding confidence at home and maybe take it to Australia in the WC next year.

Clearly Kallis is being selfish and needs to retire. I would term this a terribly mediocre Kallis.

I will personally ask for his retirement when he is even close last 3 years of sachin's bad performance. He was just dead weight most of the time in his time for last few years. I do not want kallis to be that way and I am sure if he thinks he is that then he will retire gracefully, unlike sachin.

something from today's article from pollok on cricinfo

"
In the 438-game, I didn't play because of a back spasm. When the guys came back to the change room, it was a bad environment because everyone was really quiet. It was still. There was no humour. Jacques was the last to get into the change room and he said, "Well guys, the bowlers have done their job, they're ten runs short of what they should have got. Let's go and get it." And everyone burst out laughing "

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Reading through some cricket forums, and I have to ask, why does there seem to some complete hatred at jadeja from some people? Dude seemed to bowl pretty well and is pretty much the best bowler in the match right now.

Also congrats on kallis.

Window

Reading through some cricket forums, and I have to ask, why does there seem to some complete hatred at jadeja from some people? Dude seemed to bowl pretty well and is pretty much the best bowler in the match right now.

Also congrats on kallis.

I think it's because he was usually selected as a bowling all rounder in ODI's who was expected to come down the order and hit a few big shots but never was successful in doing so or be economical/penetrative in his bowling. Despite this, he kept getting selected. However he's improved massively as a bowler so maybe the Indian team should really look towards him as purely fulfilling just that role.

I don't recall enjoying watching many Kallis innings but there's no doubt his contribution to his team as both a batsmen and bowler was immense and he may very well be the second best batting all rounder of all time after Sobers. End of a great career.

Antiwhippy

Alright. I guess it makes sense if his early goings are horrible. But he seems much better now than the indian pace attack which seems pretty average.

Window

Holy shit, that shot by Jadeja in the second innings is one of the worst ways to get out given the situation that I've seen. Totally mindless, didn't even try to stay out there.

Edit: The impact of Kallis' retirement is finally sinking in. The man never properly got his due from others in the game. I too never appreciated what a special cricketer he really was.

175421.jpg

175439.jpg

175539.jpg

Antiwhippy

Most of the last pakistan vs sri lanka match was a snoozefest, but man that was a great chase. It was terrible how sri lanka kept trying to slow the game down, but I'm glad the match got to finish.

Dynedom

SL deserved to lose for their negative cricket. They were playing for a draw from day one. Kudos to Pakistan for playing positive cricket.

Really disgusted by the light complaints at the end. Shut up and eat the loss, guys. It's like the team that showed up in the second test vanished.

I also would like to know why the hell Perera did not bowl a single ball in the second innings, haha. Herath really wasn't working.

Man, some of the ex-players turned TV experts are SO salty after this win. Mo Yousuf and Shoaib Akhtar can't criticise Misbah after today so they're trying to divert the topic to how Afridi should be given the ODI captaincy. Brilliant.

beast786

SL deserved to lose for their negative cricket. They were playing for a draw from day one. Kudos to Pakistan for playing positive cricket.

Really disgusted by the light complaints at the end. Shut up and eat the loss, guys. It's like the team that showed up in the second test vanished.

I also would like to know why the hell Perera did not bowl a single ball in the second innings, haha. Herath really wasn't working.

To add to what you have said. SL played almost 110 more overs than pakistan and still lost in this test.

artist

Banned
Man, some of the ex-players turned TV experts are SO salty after this win. Mo Yousuf and Shoaib Akhtar can't criticise Misbah after today so they're trying to divert the topic to how Afridi should be given the ODI captaincy. Brilliant.
Perfect sub-continent mentality there. It's the same with Indian commentators barring Bhogle.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan-v-sri-lanka-2013-14/content/story/711707.html

So basically Mathews denies negative tactics cost his team, instead insisting "I thought we should have been a bit more cautious" in their second innings. Mental.

Also this:

hC9VRyT.png
haha, that is ridiculous. Time to quickly sweep this under the carpet Sri lanka. What's even more shameful that it all happened with the blessings of senor Mahela and senor Sangakarra.

Top Bottom