• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Grug

speedpop said:
I hear Japan have an AFL team now :lol

Time to hang it up AFL and rugby league. Your time in the spotlight is over.

Rugby League... possibly.

AFL... not a chance. Last TV rights deal was 780 million dollars. The next one is tipped to come close to 1 billion dollars. Not bad for a one-country sport.

Attendance figures at record levels in 2008.

I think we'll be okay speedpop. :lol

Pachael

speedpop said:
I hear Japan have an AFL team now :lol

Time to hang it up AFL and rugby league. Your time in the spotlight is over.

Heck, maybe we should stop trying to be so superior and dig in for the next three generations while the South Africans, Indians and even English make hay - I think we'll lose the Ashes as well.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Grug said:
Rugby League... possibly.

AFL... not a chance. Last TV rights deal was 780 million dollars. The next one is tipped to come close to 1 billion dollars. Not bad for a one-country sport.

Attendance figures at record levels in 2008.

I think we'll be okay speedpop. :lol
I was hesitant to add AFL, but fuck it.

Anyway this thread is about cricket, I cannot derail it anymore!

Seriously hoping for a New Zealand series win. Australia will come out of the blocks for the next match. What the Kiwi's need to do is bat first and try to go at the gun.

Pachael said:
Heck, maybe we should stop trying to be so superior and dig in for the next three generations while the South Africans, Indians and even English make hay - I think we'll lose the Ashes as well.
An Ashes loss would be glorious.. but I don't know if it will happen.

Grug

speedpop said:
An Ashes loss would be glorious.. but I don't know if it will happen.

Warne and McGrath have had a good rest, they'll be fighting fit for the Ashes.

And sorry, but even if you hate the Australian cricket team, wishing for England to win the Ashes is going too far. :lol

I was living in London in 2005... and if you thought Australian sportsfans can be cocky... you ain't seen nothing! The goddamn tickertape parade went past my office window! :lol

artist

Banned
Grug said:
I've also given my thoughts on the 50 day format in this thread. Try reading the thread then get back to me.

As for Irfan, if you want to support skeevy little racists who talk about wiping their ass with other country's flags, be my guest.

This has been a good natured thread the whole way through until Irfan pops in. Always plenty of shitstirring but devoid of any actual cricket insight whatsoever. Just drags the whole thread down.
The real prick in that incident was YOU, you started the whole thing by posting a roadkill picture and saying that was India. (& yet you didnt get banned, good partial call by the mods)

Back on topic, congratulations NZ. Two more wins to go.:D

master15

When you loose to the current New Zealand team you know something has gone dreadfully ary...ummm fuck :lol

Grug said:
I was living in London in 2005... and if you thought Australian sportsfans can be cocky... you ain't seen nothing! The goddamn tickertape parade went past my office window! :lol

Ha, mate I moved to London at the end of 05 and for a solid year got a world of shit from English folks about the Ashes lost, hell people who did not even like or follow cricket were giving me shit. The most memorable was a work college of mine who we would have a lot of friendly banter and discourse with. He sent me garbage for a solid year, and I kept all of his mindless predictions and bold e-mails and slowly forwarded them back to him as we completed 5 nil sweep.

At this stage such a comprehensive win looks a little unlucky :S

Grug

tri_willy said:
wow an unprecedented tie with punter and pup taking out the ab medal

Lara Bingle shouldn't have waxed her legs so close to the event!

0,,6470378,00.jpg

0,,6470377,00.jpg

tri_willy

oh that is sick hahaha, you'd need a cm of make up to cover that :lol

before you ask why i bother chucking a pic of hauritz, is that his wife or his mum??? her surname is also same as his but she looks quite old!!!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Grug said:
Now you can probably understand why Australia still loves to rub their nose in England's face over that football friendly when we won 3-1 back in '03. Cricket is nothing. Wait till we meet England in a QTR Final match or something silly in a World Cup. That is going to be huge.

Also I don't hate the Australian cricket team. I just hate the majority of their supporters. Granted I enjoyed the shit out of the '05 Ashes series, first time it was screened by SBS and by chance it was going to be (and ended up being) the greatest Ashes series within the past 2 decades. Fuck you Gooch.

Grug

speedpop said:
Now you can probably understand why Australia still loves to rub their nose in England's face over that football friendly when we won 3-1 back in '03. Cricket is nothing. Wait till we meet England in a QTR Final match or something silly in a World Cup. That is going to be huge.

I think you underestimate how big the Ashes is in both countries. Is it the premier sporting event between motherland and former colony. It's the big dance.

The football thing is more a reflection on the massive talent gaps there were between the two sides. We were never even meant to get close to them, at least in cricket we are in the same general ballpark at all times.

artist

Banned
India won today's ODI too, thats their 8th consecutive win. Interesting to see if the outcome of this series has a significant impact on the overall rankings .. (2 pts separate Aus & India) :D :lol

Grug

I think its fair to say that Warner has more than burned through the credit he earned in that one Twenty20 match.

He doesn't have the cricket smarts or the mental strength for international cricket yet. Back to domestic for him for a while.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Grug said:
I think its fair to say that Warner has more than burned through the credit he earned in that one Twenty20 match.

He doesn't have the cricket smarts or the mental strength for international cricket yet. Back to domestic for him for a while.

Has he been dropped? He also scored 67 or something in the second One dayer.

tri_willy

damn disappointing, looks like he'll have to get some more time in state cricket for the time being. guess he was in the scene a bit too soon & callum ferguson makes his debut for the aussies, hope he plays a decent innings

tri_willy

old school innings from pup here. may cost the team a win but who knows. nice support from mussey.

for those interested, here are the current IPL biddings in $US.

Jean-Paul Duminy (SAF) - Mumbai Indians - $950,000
Shaun Tait (AUS) - Rajasthan Royals - $375,000
Andrew Flintoff (ENG) - Chennai Super Kings - $1,550,000
Kevin Pietersen (ENG) - Bangalore Royal Challengers - $1,550,000
Fidel Edwards (WI) - Deccan Chargers - $150,000
Owais Shah (ENG) - Dehli Daredevils - $275,000
Paul Collingwood (ENG) - Dehli Daredevils - $275,000
Tyron Henderson (SAF) - Rajasthan Royals - $675,000
Ravi Bopara (ENG) - Kings XI Punjab - $450,000
Thilan Thushara (SRL) - Chennai Super Kings - $140,000
Jesse Ryder (NZL) - Bangalore Royal Challengers - $160,000
Kyle Mills (NZL) - Mumbai Indians - $150,000

Grug

Great batting performance from Clarke and Hussey today, unfortunately someone forgot to remind them that IT ISN'T A TEST MATCH!

Won't be enough runs. Calling this one for NZ with 11 overs remaining.

medrew

Yup, have to thank Clarke for keeping NZ in this game. Always great to see an opposition captain more concerned about his own game than what is better for the team. Guess that's what that 'old school' innings means that I kept on hearing the commentators pratting on about.

I am interested to know what 'Buzz' means on Elliots bat.

medrew

I imagine there are commericals during the overs in Oz because I am loving the commentators talking off mic between them and trying to decipher what they are saying and hearing how they really feel when they not on 'air'.

Grug

medrew said:
I imagine there are commericals during the overs in Oz because I am loving the commentators talking off mic between them and trying to decipher what they are saying and hearing how they really feel when they not on 'air'.

Has Tony Greig started pleasuring himself yet? :lol

Grug

Congrats again Kiwis. You'll hear no complaints from me...

... except that Michael Clarke is a dingus. The worst 98 runs you'll ever see.

artist

Banned
speedpop said:
On to a series win New Zealand!
Ditto that. :D

Oh and here's an update:

2dl2mc0.png

Regarding IPL auction, here's the updated list of players sold.
Seventeen slots were filled in over two hours of the 2009 IPL auction in Goa. Here is a list of the players who have been bought at the auction (base price in brackets; all numbers in US$):

Pool A
Shaun Tait to Rajasthan Royals 375,000 (250,000)
JP Duminy to Mumbai Indians 950,000 (300,000)
Andrew Flintoff to Chennai Super Kings 1.55 million (950,000)
Kevin Pietersen to Bangalore Royal Challengers 1.55 million (1.35 million)

Pool B
Fidel Edwards to Deccan Chargers 150,000 (150,000)
Owais Shah to Delhi Daredevils 275,000 (150,000)
Paul Collingwood to Delhi 275,000 (250,000)
Stuart Clark, Brad Haddin :lol and Chamara Kapugedara were unsold.

Pool C
Tyron Henderson to Rajasthan 650,000 (100,000)
Ravi Bopara to Kings XI Punjab 450,000 (150,000)
Thilan Thushara to Chennai 140,000 (100,000)
Jesse Ryder to Bangalore 160,000 (100,000)
Kyle Mills to Mumbai 150,000 (150,000).

Ashwell Prince, Phil Jaques, Andre Nel, Luke Wright and Nuwan Kulasekara were unsold.

Pool D
Dwayne Smith to Deccan Chargers 100,000 (100,000)
Jerome Taylor to Punjab 150,000 (150,000)
Mohammad Ashraful to Mumbai 75,000 (75,000)

Samit Patel, Shakib Al Hasan, Morne van Wyk, Steven Smith, Ashley Noffke, Gulam Bodi and Daren Powell were unsold.

Pool E
Tamim Iqbal, Jon Moss, Bryce McGain, James Franklin, Aiden Blizzard, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Michael Klinger, Kaushalya Weeraratne, Prasanna Jayawardene and Dominic Thornley were unsold.

Pool F
Mashrafe Mortaza to Kolkata Knight Riders 600,000 (50,000)
George Bailey to Chennai 50,000 (50,000)
Yusuf Abdulla, Daniel Harris, Kemar Roach, Aaron Bird, Michael Dighton, Michael Hill and Brett Geeves were unsold.

tri_willy

Grug said:
The worst 98 runs you'll ever see.

since Michael Slater's 99 (144) if memory serves me well during the 90's although he only played a handful of odi's. even one of ponting's recent test match hundreds were achieved in around 120 balls or so. he just can't hit the ball for shit atm.

master15

Really bad is a bit more accurate. In a way I am sort of glad I wasn't able to stream the last game, I think I might have gone AWOL if I had.

Also surprising to hear Pup and Katich almost came to fistacuffs after Sydney test match. How bizarre...

legend166

Ah jolly old England. Even when Australia is sucking, they always know how to pull us out of the doldrums with ineptitude the likes of which has never been seen.

tri_willy

lol wtf at eng sucking. just when you thought you couldnt suck any harder than that!!! ashes game on!!! yea katich & pup incident was pretty hilarious imo, but idiot pup wanted to sing team song quickly which is the huss' duty yo choose to sing it whenever & the kat gave pup grabbed him by the neck. although the issue is over & both players have gotten over it, pup's trying to start shit with the rest of the team. may prove to be the most unpopular team member in the future given his altercation with symo which ended him pup getting drink poured to his face by symo :lol

legend166

tri_willy said:
lol wtf at eng sucking. just when you thought you couldnt suck any harder than that!!! ashes game on!!! yea katich & pup incident was pretty hilarious imo, but idiot pup wanted to sing team song quickly which is the huss' duty yo choose to sing it whenever & the kat gave pup grabbed him by the neck. although the issue is over & both players have gotten over it, pup's trying to start shit with the rest of the team. may prove to be the most unpopular team member in the future given his altercation with symo which ended him pup getting drink poured to his face by symo :lol

I'm not exactly a big fan or Clarke (I think he looks like a tosser with those horrible tattoos), but I can easily imagine a scenario between him and Symonds where Clarke is in the right. Symonds is a wanker.

tri_willy

seems like symo isnt great company outside of cricket. slow start to aussies atm, anymore shit runs from pup & he should seriously piss off from the odi squad. makes sense he didnt join the ipl because he gets his runs as quickly as dravid and kallis :D

Grug

tri_willy said:
haddin yes, pup no

Pup on 64 runs from 68 balls. Nothing wrong with that.

Looks to have learned his lesson from last game.

Edit: oh now he's out. Is that our fault?

tri_willy

decent innings from pup, too bad the same performance won't be repeated anytime soon imo... but stranger things have happened. surprised to see aussies batting well for the time being, hopefully rest of the batting lineup backs up the start

Grug

Anything less than 310 from here would be a failure. Haddin and Ponting looking comfortable and with the Husseys, Ferguson, White and Hopes still to come and the batting powerplay still in hand.

Grug

The 300 is looking a little less likely now, but not impossible. We'll probably screw up the powerplay again though.

280+ should be a decent challenge for a chase on the SCG.

Top Bottom