• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Grug

Cameron White is a hopeless cricketer.

Hopefully the selectors wake the hell up to him now.

Potential collapse happening here.

tri_willy

whitey reminds me of the time when symo was too pussy to play his shots. seems like he is going through a similar phase. 300 not impossible atm but almost unlikely atm

Rezbit

Well at least Mike Hussey *seems* to be playing well, taking advantage of the PP by...playing good shots along the carpet. SHOCK!

tri_willy

yea, mussey is playing a very fast paced innings atm. its like a sense of urgency has returned to the australian team & you wonder how come they couldnt play this well the past 2 games

Grug

Bucknor has lost the plot. :lol

We got 301 regardless.

NZ will come out fighting though, the game is there for our bowlers to lose. They have to be sharp.

Grug

New Zealand are awesome. They always take it up to us and they really had us worried there for a while. McCullum was brave battling with a wrecked shoulder. They've got a really good foundation for a great cricket side in the future.

32 run victory in the end to the Aussies though, nice to be on the winning side again.

India have a big fight on their hands against Sri Lanka by the looks of it. Dhoni fighting to keep them in it. Looks like some snakes and ladders action going on in the ODI rankings at the moment.

medrew

Grug said:
Whooooaaa huge wicket there.

Taylor gone, plum LBW. Beautiful ball by Hilfenhaus.

2/16.

Funny definition of a plum Leg Before Wicket you have there. :D

Enjoyed the last 15 overs even though you could see the writing on the wall. There was a sliver of hope that Elliot would put in an effort like Bevan did against us a few years back and steal an amazing victory. Gutted if he doesn't get MOM even though we lost (and since he deserved it the last game but it was given to Clarke for some inane reason).
This NZ team is really quite entertaining to watch and quite likeable, in contrast to the days of Nash, Cairns and Parore. While good players there weren't exactly great sportsmen to follow.

Pity Bond is banned from playing for NZ :(

And get well soon Jessie.

Grug

medrew said:
Funny definition of a plum Leg Before Wicket you have there. :D

Based on that tiny hotspot, I think a mosquito took a leak on Taylor's bat.

Ferguson's "LBW" was far more dubious than that. Call it even. ;)

tri_willy

wow, seems like an entertaining game in the end and aussie prevailing this time around. seems like india loses this one against sri lanka. with over 120 runs and 3 wickets to go at a run rate of nearly 10, game appears gone after dhoni's dismissal

tri_willy

you know you had a shit day mccullum when you get bowled out by pup

edit: useless craig cumming. how u made it to the odi team is beyond my comprehension. with an overall strike rate of less than 55, you're simply shit. even guys like me can play better than that.

kiwi's in danger after losing elliot a little earlier on when the run rate was picking up.

tri_willy

nice win by the aussies. decent innings by haddin and the hussey bros. nice to see dussey get some runs. lucky for ferguson he wasnt given out for a lbw decision which showed otherwise. seems like umpire davis didnt want to give his fellow south aussie out in fear of a retribution after the game :lol

medrew

And along with the Pointing LBW that wasn't given.

So let's see: Aussies getting away with LBWs. Check. NZers getting pinged for LBWs when they hit the ball. Yup we are back to the status quo in the Kiwis touring Oz! Expect the decider to be over before it has began. Top order collapse imminent with Vettori getting 30-40 at the end. Totally going to happen.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
So glad I am not working tomorrow night. Australia vs New Zealand series decider final match at the Gabba and QLD Roar vs Central Coast Mariners 2nd leg semi-final at Suncorp Stadium. Brisbane = fucked for a few hours. And I technically have to drive by both main roads that connect the two stadiums to head to work.

legend166

medrew said:
And along with the Pointing LBW that wasn't given.

So let's see: Aussies getting away with LBWs. Check. NZers getting pinged for LBWs when they hit the ball. Yup we are back to the status quo in the Kiwis touring Oz! Expect the decider to be over before it has began. Top order collapse imminent with Vettori getting 30-40 at the end. Totally going to happen.

Vettori has scored surprisingly few runs against us this summer.

santouras

according to the updates from the cricinfo page, it really doesn't look good. They should have a reserve day they can play on in case of this.

Puck

Banned
ch9 news just said

covers coming off. rain looks to be staying away. at least a 20/20 starting within the half hour.

fuck yeah!

i feel like NZ will win though. they are so pissed about losing the past 2, mccullum will rip our bowlers apart.

Grug

Reduced to a 22 over match. NZ looking on top early.

Unfortunately Essendon vs Western Bulldogs starts in 15 minutes, and as much as I love my cricket, AFL wins every time.

medrew

legend166 said:
Vettori has scored surprisingly few runs against us this summer.

However if things were to revert back to normal as I stated then he would.

But given this is 22 overs and the Aussies are dropping like flies it is anything but the norm.

Grug

Glad I'm staying in tonight. Brisbane would be crazy tonight.

The one-dayer at the Gabba and the A-League elimination final between the Roar and Mariners at Suncorp.

Combined with shithouse weather and Coronation Drive would be a clusterfuck.

santouras

what a great last couple of overs for australia. Ferguson really has cemented his place in the team imo. What is the deal tho with the number of overs? I could have sworn a few years ago there needed to be a minimum of 25 overs for each team to make a valid one day game? Seems like new zealand are only going to bat for 20.

Grug

Sad to see all this rain uselessly falling on us here in Brisbane while Victoria burns.

Game officially declared a no-contest. Australia retain the Chappell-Hadlee Trophy by default.

Very 'meh' ending to a fantastic series.

Grug

xabre said:
NZ had that game won.

If Australia struggle to beat NZ at home they'll be destroyed over in South Africa.

I think the fact that we lost both an ODI and Test Series at home to South Africa is a much more valid form guide, and yes, we'll get bitchslapped in South Africa.

Struggling to beat NZ in ODI isn't really relevant in that equation. Besides, I think that is pretty disrespectful to New Zealand, they are building a very impressive limited overs team here. They could be peaking really nicely at WC2011.

speedpop

Grug said:
Combined with shithouse weather and Coronation Drive would be a clusterfuck.
That's accurate. Had to drive along that junk heading into the city to pick up partner's sister at 6:30pm. What would've been a painless 5-10 min trip turned into a 50 min bumper-to-bumper session. Wasn't as bad as the Broncos & Lions double header last year, but the rain seems to make everyone go "OMFG CLUSTERFUCK TIME ON CORONATION & MILTON!" in Brisbane.

As for the series, a shame about the rain. Would've liked to have seen a competitive nature of sorts but these things can happen in cricket.

Grug

Ferguson would have to be a massive positive for Australia out of this series.

He's only played a few games, but he was in exceptional form for South Australia and stepped up to international level as if it was nothing. Amazing temperament.

Speaking of new talent, I am getting in early on the Mitchell Marsh bandwagon. He is the son of Geoff and brother of Shaun and has been absolutely dominating at club level and has just been added to the Western Australian squad and he is only 17. This bloke WILL be an elite international batsman, I am making the call now. He is a complete athlete, and would have definitely gone in the top 15 of the 2009 AFL draft but made the call to stick with cricket instead.

artist

Banned
xabre said:
NZ had that game won.

If Australia struggle to beat NZ at home they'll be destroyed over in South Africa.
Yeah NZ totally robbed of the trophy and the series. They were clearly the better team of the two ..

Grug

Wow, play abandoned for the day in Antigua after less than 2 overs due to the terrible sandy condition of the field/pitch.

The whole test is potentially over before it essentially started.

Agh!

What a frustraiting way to end the NZ/Aus game, just feel so ripped off. >_<

Rain after I finally started to believe they could ACTUALLY do it, despite their best efforts at losing it by throwing away wickets when it wasn't needed.

Poor Guptill, could see the frustration after they went off, he had the win, he could feel it, seemed to find someone who could stay there with him while he did it and then the rain came, f**k you rain!

Sad thing is, its another awesome day ruined for him by rain, his debut ODI 100, opening, not out was rained out next innings also. :(

Enjoyable series all the same, I'm glad we were competitive. Can't help feel like we should have done more though, disappointed with that. Haddin and Pointing aren't very popular here. :lol Just need some more luck to go our way and we'll be ok.

Hope its a good 20/20 match, we'll call that the decider eh? :p As long as we're batting 2nd though lol.

Bring back Bond!

tri_willy

damn that new zealand innings was fucking looking dangerous as with gupty killing the bowling attack. last match he was somewhere to the tune of 6-8 runs off 30 balls at some stage, in this match he was 60 off 30 balls!!! what a turnabout!!! good to see fellow south aussie ferguson make a decent impact in the innings. with a current odi average of 102 and a strike rate of around 136, he's the current mr. odi cricket until his next dismissal :D

lol @ dodgy west indies pitch. could almost call it beach cricket

speedpop

Grug said:
Ferguson would have to be a massive positive for Australia out of this series.

He's only played a few games, but he was in exceptional form for South Australia and stepped up to international level as if it was nothing. Amazing temperament.

Speaking of new talent, I am getting in early on the Mitchell Marsh bandwagon. He is the son of Geoff and brother of Shaun and has been absolutely dominating at club level and has just been added to the Western Australian squad and he is only 17. This bloke WILL be an elite international batsman, I am making the call now. He is a complete athlete, and would have definitely gone in the top 15 of the 2009 AFL draft but made the call to stick with cricket instead.
Essentially the old guard needs to replaced with the new guys. This includes the captain. South Africa (and relatively England) were entirely overhauled by new guns and it did them wonders. England for the Ashes and such in the past 3-4 years, South Africa for their insane dominance in the past couple years.

Whilst I'd hate to see Ponting and such go, I think it is for the best. Clarke may be an insane arsehole (and we can easily change captain armbands with the blink of an eye) but the young guns needs to be invested. The only thing stopping the nation itself is the old school guard of selectors.

medrew

tri_willy said:
damn that new zealand innings was fucking looking dangerous as with gupty killing the bowling attack. last match he was somewhere to the tune of 6-8 runs off 30 balls at some stage, in this match he was 60 off 30 balls!!! what a turnabout!!!

Ahh, he made 45 in the previous match. He's certainly the most talented batter in the NZ squad (more so than Taylor) and just needed time to find his game against the Australian attack.

And he only has two toes!

Top Bottom