• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

legend166

Kudos to New Zealand, they had us beat. They've got a pretty impressive side now, if only they could become more consistant. You'd like them to convert it into where it really matters though, the Test matches. They could have a pretty good side:

Guptill
Redmond/whoever else
Flynn
Taylor
Elliot
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Mills
Southee
O Brien

That's forgetting Chris Martin too, but he should never be allowed to play cricket until he can hold a bat.

Really, I just want every side to become better Test teams. It's somewhat even at the top now, with South Africa, India, and just behind, Australia. I'd love if Sri Lanka, the Windies, Pakistan and New Zealand could regularly challenge.

I'm happy with England sucking forever, though ;)

tri_willy

with skinny arms like that, mr. coldplay couldnt hold a bat properly. an in-inform jesse ryder would take over redmond imo... oram will never play test matches on a consistent basis and appears more injury prone than the likes of jason gillespie. speaking of which, where's mark???

tri_willy

voges made the match winning catch. but yea, that was a fucking ripper of a catch
damn what an ending to the game. aussies take it by a fucking run. well done to bracks for his brilliant tight arse bowling

Grug

Would have been awesome (and oddly appropriate) if that match was tied, but we'll take the 1 run win.

Thus ends the Australian summer of cricket.

Stay tuned for the 2009 AFL Season Thread. :D

tri_willy

Grug said:
Would have been awesome (and oddly appropriate) if that match was tied, but we'll take the 1 point.

Thus ends the Australian summer of cricket.

Stay tuned for the 2009 AFL Season Thread. :D

looks like your boys were off to a decent start grug, and thats without their major guns

Grug

tri_willy said:
looks like your boys were off to a decent start grug, and thats without their major guns

Yeah, we went down to Carrara last night to watch.

We were fantastic in the first half. Second half was another story altogether though, but first round NAB Cup games are always scrappy.

Just watched the end of Richmond vs Fremantle. Tight finish.

At least Voss has a 100 percent successful coaching record so far. :lol

Nice catch by Voges, the stuff of every schoolboy's dreams.

Can't wait for the Test match series in South Africa. Will picking Hughes become "a premature move always destined to be a mistake" or "the fresh approach we've always been pushing for" in the media narrative? And how badly will a now full-strength South Africa beat Australia? :p

Seriously, though, I wouldn't be too worried if I was in the Australian team's shoes. Ashes looks in the bank at this point. England are self-destructing in the West Indies. All they need to do is put up some fight in South Africa, bounce back with a much-needed Test series win in the Ashes and fully get back several key injured players that are on the bench. (Clark, Lee, Watson and Symonds if possible) They probably won't be number one again, but still on the road to recovery at the very least.

NZ were terrible, wasted so many deliveries, can't believe how pathetic it was to watch to be honest. Elliot should have just bloody gone for it or got out, then they should have got N.McCullum out there batting sooner and Franklin probably even before Elliot.

Lost opportunity, the whole tour. Can't help but feel we shoulda done more.

While most expected us to get belted and an overall 'good effort anyway NZ' sorta feeling from the rest of t he world, we wanted to win, and despite getting 2 of them and almost achieving the series before the rain came down, its still seen as an annoyed wasted opportunity here. >_<

Rezbit

Australia's one-day form is looking pretty dicey really, but credit to NZ they did play some good cricket.

I think it's still a few questionable selection decisions affecting the team. Not sold on James Hopes, he does some tidy things, but never looks overly threatening with bat or ball. Is it worth having a defensive all-rounder vs an attacking batsman, quickie or spinner? Although Ferguson seems to be a good pick, seems to have more of a solid head on his shoulders than young Warner.

Also, my main man Hilfy has had a really inconsistent series, I'm sure getting rotated to buggery hasn't helped. But, he has gone from some absolute gems; see McCullum's wicket delivery in the last one-dayer, to getting spanked for plenty. I hope they stick with him, and I hope he at least gets one game in the SA tests to try out his red ball skills.

Last thought: WE NEED A GODDAMN SPINNER. Hell, the part-time spin of Dussey tonight really troubled the batsmen on a turning wicket, and just highlighted the fact that we need a good spinner badly. Who might that be? Fuck knows.

tri_willy

Rezbit said:
Last thought: WE NEED A GODDAMN SPINNER. Hell, the part-time spin of Dussey tonight really troubled the batsmen on a turning wicket, and just highlighted the fact that we need a good spinner badly. Who might that be? Fuck knows.

Here's some of the spinners considered in the past

Bryce McGain (VIC)
Cullen Bailey (SA)
Daniel Cullen (SA)

mcgain grabbed 5 wickets in a recent sheffield match against south australia and apparently had a call up??? bailey also picked up 5 in the current match against QLD and was at some stage considered to be a future spinner whilst cullen who play one or so test matches for the aussies is probably not the current frame of mind of the selectors. of course there's also krezja, but it looks like the sole no.1 spinner is still up for grabs until someone bags big wickets on a consistent basis at first class level.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The problem is the constant shifting and changing of the players. The selectors keep thinking that it will improve their team, but fuck, the self-esteem and abilities get affected more than anything else. They're allowed to turn a blind eye to players like Hayden shitting up the field yet can readily don the sword and slash down a newcomer to the team? Fucking hypocritical twats.

Pachael

speedpop said:
The problem is the constant shifting and changing of the players. The selectors keep thinking that it will improve their team, but fuck, the self-esteem and abilities get affected more than anything else. They're allowed to turn a blind eye to players like Hayden shitting up the field yet can readily don the sword and slash down a newcomer to the team? Fucking hypocritical twats.

They've been like that last two seasons. Always thought that a C.White was worthy of a call-up to the Test team, but noooo

Grug

Pachael said:
They've been like that last two seasons. Always thought that a C.White was worthy of a call-up to the Test team, but noooo

IMO, Cameron White is a great State level cricketer, nothing more.

Grug

Richie Benaud to retire after the next Australian summer of cricket.

END OF A FUCKING ERA.

Richie you are irreplaceable.

tri_willy

unfortunately bill lawry is approaching his use by date. calls such as the following:

"It's a SIX!!! oh one bounce to the boundary"
"OUT!!! oh no he's dropped him!"
"They'll be picking up TWO here... looks like they're happy with the single"

seriously wtf??? these pre-meditated calls just stuffs it up IMO

Grug

tri_willy said:
unfortunately bill lawry is approaching his use by date. calls such as the following:

"It's a SIX!!! oh one bounce to the boundary"
"OUT!!! oh no he's dropped him!"
"They'll be picking up TWO here... looks like they're happy with the single"

seriously wtf??? these pre-meditated calls just stuffs it up IMO

:lol

I love Bill Lawry.

"BANG! Soft hands!"

artist

Banned
Grug said:
Adam Voges just took the greatest catch in the history of cricket.

HOLY

FUCKING

SHIT.
Hardly, great catch though.

England robbed by weather, still a great fight back. I didnt expect it after the 50 all out in the previous week.

Grug

Ignore filter fail. Why did I click "view post". *face palm*

Robbed by the weather? Give me a break.

Test captaincy is about taking these things into account, weighing up risks and making the tough calls. The commentators were talking about the dubious weather early on day 4.

Strauss messed up the declaration, simple as that. He was over-conservative and England fell one wicket short of a win in the end.

Robbed... :lol How many overs did they end up missing due to rain... 5? Unlucky with injuries to Flintoff... perhaps... robbed by rain.... nuh-uh.

I seriously wonder if you watch test cricket at all sometimes.

artist

Banned
Robbed by weather is accurate, just like NZ was robbed by weather by humiliating you guys at home recently.:lol :lol :lol

It was the last wicket, so every ball counts. I think you are the one should go back to the basics of cricket, not just test cricket. :lol :D

Grug

:D :D :D

Choketoria!

How did the Vics mess up that run-chase?!?!

Go the mighty Queensland Bulls! Ford Ranger Cup champions!

0,5001,6498559,00.jpg

tri_willy

was the mcg a bowler's pitch or something? but yea, given the experienced batting lineup of the vics, they sure choked big time. following the aussies current tour match, wow at marcus north for his 6 wicket haul as an all rounder. he might just nip the all rounders spot ahead now

tri_willy

OS triple!!! massive draw for pakistan and sri lanka due to the massive first innings totals.
one triple century, two doubles and a 150+, damnnnnn...

on other news, kiwis defeat india in a 20/20

artist

Banned
tri_willy said:
on other news, kiwis defeat india in a 20/20
Yeah, underwhelming performance at best. I guess it takes some time to adjust to NZ conditions .. as well as they have to revise their strategy.

Grug

Just a few hours until the first test between SA and Aus gets underway.

Why does it have to clash with the AFL though... Richmond vs Collingwood is basically unmissable.

Ugh.

They're both on Foxtel too, so I can't pull off some picture-in-picture shit either.

Grug

Ponting wins the toss, Australia to bat first.

Massive pressure on Hughes on debut.

I have that horrible "batting collapse imminent" feeling.

Grug

Grug said:
Ponting wins the toss, Australia to bat first.

Massive pressure on Hughes on debut.

I have that horrible "batting collapse imminent" feeling.

I hate being right all the time. :(

Hughes gone for a duck in the first over.

Its going to be a looooooooong series. We've lost this game at selection IMO by not selecting Bollinger. McDonald as our 4th bowler is worrying as hell. We couldn't bowl South Africa out in Australia, how is this undermanned bowling department going to do the job?

Switching back to the footy. :lol 4 balls was enough for me.

Grug

Vital partnership by Ponting and Clarke here.

Edit: And now Ponting is gone. No shame in getting out to that ball. That was a murderous ball by Ntini.

Damn, crazy delivery to get Ponting out from Ntini. Full onto off-stump. 4/151 now. The "comprehensive victory" that Smith wanted seems to be on the cards.

Wow, Steyn almost bowled Clarke there. Australia looking wobbly here. Maybe it's time to promote Haddin up the order in Tests as well? :p

Grug said:
Keep your dick in your pants Tim. Its only the second session on day one. :D

Can't help it. The ABC Radio guys are an excitable bunch. ;)

I guess I'm being a tad premature, but it does feel like the perfect storm. South Africa has form, talent and consistency. Australia, meanwhile, has been hamstrung by selection woes on top of their other problems. Bollinger out? McDonald and Hilfenhaus in? No spinners? smh

Grug

Aussies take the light at 5/254 after a great third-session fightback by Brad Haddin and Marcus North.

First session: South Africa
Second session: Tie
Third session: Australia

Looks like this could be a really competitive test match. Momentum has swung back and forth all day.

tri_willy

Tim the Wiz said:
Can't help it. The ABC Radio guys are an excitable bunch. ;)

I guess I'm being a tad premature, but it does feel like the perfect storm. South Africa has form, talent and consistency. Australia, meanwhile, has been hamstrung by selection woes on top of their other problems. Bollinger out? McDonald and Hilfenhaus in? No spinners? smh

if u want to count marcus north as a spinner. at least he'll get a wicket more likely than pup or krezja

Grug

Poor Mitchell Johnson stranded on 96 not out. :(

So tell us more about that comprehensive smashing Tim the Wiz? :p

We've come to play cricket.

santouras

yeah real shame he missed out on a ton but glad north got there. I've been watching it through sopcast but I think its causing my comp to crash every 15mins. Not great when you're trying to work :-/

Top Bottom