• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Gutted to hear the news about Taylor, was on the verge of becoming a top class player for England.

I just hope he can cope with life after cricket, having retirement forced upon you like this is crazy.

Apparently Cricket Australia have learnt from the success of the Big Bash and are reducing ticket prices next season for the big team. Also has something to do with selling the next lot of TV rights, looks better when the stands are packed I imagine.

Jezbollah

Ah, the English Test season has started again. Oh look, two rubbish shots.

Its a bad Sri Lanka side too. They got stomped on by Essex in the tour match before weather handed them a draw.

I suspect if conditions remain this will be another three day test.

Nice start for Sri Lanka. Getting me in the mood to look for a club.

EDIT: Cricket on the TV I mean, not Sri Lanka doing well. Although England looking shit does make me all nostalgic.

Ah, the English Test season has started again. Oh look, two rubbish shots.

Make that three.

Browny

Banned
Yeah, we should be beating them comfortably, and so sadly it gives Compton every chance to keep his place... Nice to see Vince in there, but since it's only as Taylor's replacement... I'd obviously rather have Taylor at 5, and either Vince or Moeen at 3 - since that's where they both bat for their counties.

Still, first day of the summer and all that...

Edit: FOR FUCK'S SAKE

kmag

Luckily for England, this Sri Lankan side can't bat, and they'll comfortably win. Although this seems a situation for Bairstow to show some grit.

Browny

Banned
Luckily for England, this Sri Lankan side can't bat, and they'll comfortably win. Although this seems a situation for Bairstow to show some grit.

And he has. That stat about his first class performance since last year is ridiculous - 2700 runs at an average of 70.

Nice work by Hales too, not to throw it away. He has to realise he's supposed to bat for at least 5 sessions if the game calls for it.

And I wish Ben Stokes would calm down once in a while...

Jezbollah

So pretty much as predicted, England didnt take long to bowl SL out for 91 off 36 overs, and enforcing the follow-on. I'd be surprised if this match goes into Sunday.

Man most Asian teams are bad now except for India. And maybe Bangladesh at home. Pakistan doesn't have a very strong team anymore and Sri Lanka is struggling to find replacement for the old players.

Empty

players adapting to a constantly evolving and wide range of conditions is part of the magic of the game, but i'm sure test cricket wasn't this bad when it came to home advantage in the past (but maybe rose tinted glasses, or just growing up watching us constantly pummelled at home in the ashes). uncompetitive series are killing the format.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Hales is playing well and I'm impressed with his tenacity, but any half-decent fast bowler who can swing it into him will knock him down. Pradeep just couldn't quite get the right ball, but had him pinned to the crease.

Root is so good, when he came in he just immediately started timing it. It always impresses me when a player's quality supersedes the surface and conditions.

Browny

Banned
Sri Lankan cricket clearly not in a good place at the moment; losing 3 all time great batsmen so close together must be tough. England looking confident in almost every department, which bodes well for the Pakistan series.

Sri Lankan cricket clearly not in a good place at the moment; losing 3 all time great batsmen so close together must be tough. England looking confident in almost every department, which bodes well for the Pakistan series.

The Pakistan series should be a ripper. Two very good bowling teams.

I'm going to Edgbaston on the Friday... I wonder if Amir will be bowling... 0_o

I hope he is for you too (it also means I can watch him on TV at primetime in Australia).

Those spells against Australia in England are some of the great spells against Australia I have seen.

Browny

Banned
Jimmy Anderson confirmed as ICC top ranked Test bowler.

18 wickets in 2 matches does kinda help... Here's hoping he can keep it together for the rest of the summer.

It would make some sense to rest Jimmy for the 3rd Sri Lanka test, and get Ball playing - but I won't begrudge him another 10 wickets. But we really do need a consistent 3rd quick for when Jimmy hangs them up... Finn and Wood seem to have as many average days as good ones, and neither are great in the injury stakes.

And I don't care how well Woakes plays in the next test - he's not good enough for Test cricket.

Browny

Banned
Ah, back to the old England we all know and love. A rubbish performance, just in time for the Pakistan series.

(I hope I re-read that at the end of the day and we're still just 3 down.)

Compton and Hales are not the answer. Compton is out of form, and Hales just doesn't have the right temperament.

ViEIEUT.gif

anUDHGc.gif

wGbUgAH.gif

If only Asif was in the squad as well...

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nah. I can forgive amir more than asif.

Would he still have that magic touch anyway? Amir got out of the ban in his prime years whereas asif is pretty old now.

I'm not bothered by forgiveness or any of that tbh, they've done their time and now I just want to see the best quality cricket that I can. Asif is 33, which isn't that old and given the ban he's got less wear and tear than other bowlers his age.

Seeing as we're on the topic of oldies being able to perform, Trescothick scoring a hundred makes me feel so happy. Loved watching him bat for England, it was like someone stepped off the village green to hammer test bowlers all over the place.

Browny

Banned
Well deserved six-fer for my boy Woakes, been the best bowler by far.

I was amazed when he got called up against Sri Lanka - even though it was after his 9 wickets for Warwickshire, I still didn't think he deserved to be anywhere near the England squad. But fair play, he's bowled very well and done a good job with the bat too.

Here's to hoping we can get a decent start with the bat...

I was amazed when he got called up against Sri Lanka - even though it was after his 9 wickets for Warwickshire, I still didn't think he deserved to be anywhere near the England squad. But fair play, he's bowled very well and done a good job with the bat too.

Here's to hoping we can get a decent start with the bat...

I'm a big fan of Woakes, but the fact that I live near Edgbaston means I might not be an impartial observer.

Surprised by that good start from Rahat. just need Amir to get that length right before Cook breaks McCullum's record.

Top Bottom