• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Good to see Bradman 2, aka Adam Voges, really performing in tough conditions.

Also, this Mendis innings must go down as an all time great innings, right?

Pretty much won the game on his bat. Not bad for a 21 year old nobody!

Completely terrible shot selection from Australia. Why is it almost every time they go to Asia they play like they've never seen spin before?

Death of a Gentleman is up on Netflix now, worldwide I think.

Everybody should watch this, I'm only half an hour in but I already want to punch Giles Clarke

Browny

Banned
Vince looking to be on borrowed time - methinks one last test before one of the Lions gets the call-up. Or perhaps Buttler if he can be trusted.

Fake edit: I know the conditions are conducive to movement, but still...

Third umpire has fucked that review up royally, it's pad first but then it lobbed up off the glove. Moeen should have been gone but Dharmasena only checked to see if it hit the bat and overturned it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So like.

Do we even know how to play spin anymore?

Congrats on herath though. Love to see an old wiley spinner plying his trade.

kmag

Think Pakistan have flung this away here. 346/5 to 400 all out and England carving up the 1st innings lead with little threat coming from the Pakistani bowlers.

Yeah, Younus and Shafiq really let the team down. Just 300 from England will make Pakistan nervous, a couple of early wickets and 200 in the fourth innings will look tricky even on a good surface like this.

Too early to day anything either ready though, a couple of wickets and England could be in real trouble too. Nothing like a test that is nice and balanced.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
As inconsistent as current England can be, they have a real capacity for coming back after a bad day.

Under the circumstances, I think we did well in the first innings. Could have done better - Bairstow and Root got themselves out - but not bad given pitch and conditions.

mclem

If - hypothetically - we were to get to the end of today all-square - England having knocked off the lead, and without having lost a wicket - we'd effectively have a two-day one-innings test. In that context... when do you declare as the currently-batting captain? Just at the end of the first (fourth) day, giving you a full day to bowl the opposition out, or a little longer to give a bit of scoreboard pressure, on the assumption that the fifth-day pitch would be a bit more of a minefield to get them out?

kmag

I'm really not seeing much at all from this Pakistani bowling attack. Absolutely no patience they keep feeding Cooks 3 shots just keep it on a good length outside offstump and build pressure.

Dynedom

Starc would also be furious at the lack of a good spin options in Australia. Lyon wasn't as effective as he could be and Holland was not great. Both Matthews and Herath had to give away their wickets to get out.

Is Zampa not Test-credible?

Kuros

Hey chaps. Quick request does anyone have the Graeme Smith 47 all out vs Oz meme? The one where hes talking to his bowlers about getting bowled out for 96 and them suggesting we'll bowl them out for half that?

Hey, a cricket thread! GAF has everything. Looking forward to the England Pakistan test match this weekend, got the whole weekend off to watch it. The last ones have been great to watch.

Browny

Banned
I didn't even say anything this time and Vince still gets out. Although it was a very good ball. Chance for Ballance to knuckle down and bat for the day to cement his place. Tomorrow looks to be good weather for batting.

Empty

need our top order not to let us down again now

actually wouldn't be too upset if pakistan won this test from here though. it's been a very good and competitive test series and 2-2 would be a fair reflection of that. pakistan have been wonderful visitors.

kmag

Thought it was a pretty ordinary decision Younis got. I can see why the Umpire gave it but it looked very legside live.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Good team, Pakistan. One of my favourite series in a while. Misbah is Brearley-esque with his captaincy. Having been at the 'no-ball' game way back, the attitude and spirit of Pakistan cannot be commended enough. They seem humble, dignified and competitive.

Jezbollah

Yep. I'd say 2-2 is a very fair series result. Really liked seeing Pakistan (then again, I've always had a soft spot for them since the Wasim/Waqar/Imran days).

OlpR00w.png

Misbah :*)

I'm starting to think SMarsh should never be allowed to play 2 tests in a row. Make a comeback with a great score, get dropped straight away, make a comeback with a great score, get dropped straight away, make a comeback...

It's like his brain goes to jelly if he thinks he's not playing for his career.

Pakistan is legit.

We wish we could draw a series overseas.

Considering that there's no international cricket in Pakistan, what this team has done is absolutely incredible.

"This team deserves that for six years of not playing any games at home," Misbah said. "Sometimes people think it's really easy for us playing in the UAE. They think the wickets suit us and we win there.

"But just living every day away from your country, without your family and friends, and playing every game away from Pakistan, is really difficult. It's mentally tough.

"I can only see my mother once a year. I only see my sister once a year. Some of my friends, I could not see for three or four years because of these commitments. We are out of the country all the time.
There are a lot of tours and even our home series are in the UAE. We go from West Indies to New Zealand to Australia. It's not easy.

So sorry Aussie-GAF, going to be cheering for Sri Lanka in this test so Misbah can point to the ICC rankings and tell the likes of Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Yousuf to get fucked.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Considering that there's no international cricket in Pakistan, what this team has done is absolutely incredible.

No doubt. Plus they keep the slightly shambolic nature that makes them so charming. It is like they have to devote a place in the team for a joke player - Hafeez(outside Asia) or Iftikhar.

I'm starting to think SMarsh should never be allowed to play 2 tests in a row. Make a comeback with a great score, get dropped straight away, make a comeback with a great score, get dropped straight away, make a comeback...

It's like his brain goes to jelly if he thinks he's not playing for his career.
Quickly trying to find the odds of SMarsh making a single digit score in his next dig.

Top Bottom