• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Browny

Banned
I'm a big fan of Woakes, but the fact that I live near Edgbaston means I might not be an impartial observer.

Surprised by that good start from Rahat. just need Amir to get that length right before Cook breaks McCullum's record.

I should be more supportive I suppose - I'm in Kings Norton - but I grew up following Worcestershire. So clearly I'd prefer Joe Leach to be playing :)

Browny

Banned
Vince had better make this innings count. People will be clammering for Borthwick if he doesn't get a decent score here.

Edit: THAT WASN'T MY FAULT

Every time I watch Yasir bowling I'm like

4jG3Sca.gif

kmag

Pakistan really needed another 40 or 50, not just for the score but for the extra time it would have put in the match. This pitch has slowed but it's not yet really turning.

Why are the edges not making it to the slip courdon? Wahab is bowling around 87 mph. Is it always like this at lords?

But yeah amazing spell by wahab.

It's been like this from the first ball of the test, the pitch is just slow and low. Plays into Pakistan's hands because they've gone full UAE style here, in/out field and bowling a tight line. Dry up the runs and let the pressure build, wait for the batsmen to succumb to Yasir and reverse swing.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It annoys me to fuck that we lost 5 years of seeing Amir after what happened.

Edit: 10 wickets for Yasir. Outstanding.

it's aamir's fault for not admitting fault right away in front of the ICC panel and waiting until the criminal case to admit guilt. One of the ICC guys on the panel said if he had admitted guilt and apologized they wouldve given him a shorter ban. he couldve been back in two years.

Yasir has overtaken the #1 spot after this performance. first pakistani bowler to take the spot in 20 years. he's on pace to beat a 100 year old record too.

I honestly thought that Moeen was going to be dropped unless England went with two spinners, glad the selectors have kept faith in him.

As I type that, Amir strikes as Hales plays all around a jaffa.

kmag

After an hour of this test, I don't see England losing it. There's been a bit of swing but this looks a cracking pitch, and normally on a cracking pitch it's the toss which wins the match.

That's a brilliant session for England, Pakistan need to get a bunch of wickets in the second session otherwise England will walk this.

If the ball swings like it did this morning then Anderson will rip the Pakistani batsmen a new one.

This partnership might win the game on the first day, really good and disciplined batting from these two. Hundred up for Captain Cook and Root looks certain to join him.

Browny

Banned
It's looking pretty good (no jinx). Fingers crossed we can put a big enough score on the board in good time - no point in scoring 600 in three days, no time to put any pressure on.

Does Old Trafford deteriorate on the 4th or 5th day to any degree?

Edit: FUCK'S SAKE

Browny

Banned
Oooooh Vinny Vinny Vinny. You'd better hope you don't have to bat again, otherwise you might be back in county cricket soon...

Browny

Banned
Honestly I read this post about then minutes ago. You managed to hoodoo him two tests n a row!
I got Cook this time - I was honestly expecting Vince to fuck up again, so I won't take the credit for that one :)

To have 3 of your top 5 not in form is very concerning. I kinda enjoyed having Trott and Bell as dependables; the newbies need to step up to the plate sharpish, as the winter tours coming up are going to be very tough.

Faceache

How many more failed innings is it going to take for the selectors to realise that Alex Hales is not cut out for test cricket?

The problem is, we've been through so many openers since Strauss retired that sooner or later we just have to stick to one. I can sort of understand the selectors keeping faith given the lack of options.

The middle order is a different story though. Nothing from Vince has suggested he's worth sticking with, and I have no idea why Ballance was recalled when even his county form has been average at best. Would have loved to see Bairstow moved up with Roy and Buttler brought in, but hey ho.

Browny

Banned
Moeen
Moeen Moeen
Moeen Moeen
Moeen Moeen Ali

(If he's in for his bowling, then good job he's taking wickets.)

Sucks for Stokes though - he's looked good with the ball. Hopefully a rest will do the job, but he looked in a lot of pain.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
The problem is, we've been through so many openers since Strauss retired that sooner or later we just have to stick to one. I can sort of understand the selectors keeping faith given the lack of options.

At this stage I'd be happy if they just put Anderson in to open. At least that way we'd expect to lose an early wicket, rather than being continually disappointed.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Only Kusal Mendis' second first class century!

Hopefully SLC can steady itself and cultivate some of the talents they have (they won't).

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Good to see Bradman 2, aka Adam Voges, really performing in tough conditions.

Also, this Mendis innings must go down as an all time great innings, right?

Top Bottom