• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

tri_willy

wow, what an amazing turn around. congrats northy for maiden ton on debut innings and the 18th aussie to do so. shame johnson couldnt get that ton, so damn u hilfy for lasting a ball :lol

well done kiwi's for grabbing a thriller over india on the last ball for the 2nd t20i, mccullum showing his class. 2-0 for the kiwi's now

Rezbit

Great to see Hilfy bowling well. Mackenzie doesn't even look like playing a shot to him.

It will actually be interesting to see how NZ go against India in the ODI's over there, it will be a good gauge of where they're at. People seem to rate India very highly, and not rate NZ highly at all.

Grug said:
So tell us more about that comprehensive smashing Tim the Wiz? :p

Definitely absent from these proceedings. Have to settle for a hard-fought series victory now. ;)

Amazing turnaround orchestrated by Marcus North and Mitchell Johnson.

It's almost unbelievable that the selectors would pick McDonald (a good, but not yet great domestic player) before North in the last Test series. It is then remembered that Hodge, Bracken and David Hussey have been firmly ignored for years. Johnson's performance shouldn't be too surprising, but in some ways it is after his lackluster play in the ODIs. Back to Tests and back to business it seems. Johnson hitting his way clear of Gilchrist's record for most sixes in an over by an Australian batsmen is a resolute statement for the recognition of his ability as an all-round talent.

South Africa looks down and out, but one wonders if the "tale of the tail" theme that consistently transpired in the last series will occur in this one as well. Or perhaps that series will remain unique, a classic never to be repeated. It could be a muddy draw in Jo'burg rather than yet another dramatic loss or victory either way.

In the background of this series exists a story some might consider insignificant or uninteresting. Jacques Kallis' 10,000 runs is a mark of his domination of the all-rounder position in the modern era alongside the likes of Ian Botham and Richard Hadlee (as master15 informs me quite frequently). He will never be mentioned in the same breath as Sir Gary Sobers, but as his captain states, he remains a giant of the game. His passage into the later years of his career bears consideration.

Accused of being selfish, the man has been a team player throughout his career, the forever consistent anchor in a side fond of turmoil. Odd that this platitude has never extended to other technically observant and masterful players such as Dravid, unburdened by the charge of playing the lone hand as often as he has. Only Aravinda de Silva and Allan Border weaken the excuse of comparably outstanding singular pressure restricting a more majestic form of play. Kallis is no longer needed, but merely wanted; no more required to be overly contemptuous towards aesthetic and near fully bound to substance. However, one wonders if he would change, even if he could - as his more colourful early career suggests.

tri_willy

Tim the Wiz said:
Definitely absent from these proceedings. Have to settle for a hard-fought series victory now. ;)

Amazing turnaround orchestrated by Marcus North and Mitchell Johnson.

It's almost unbelievable that the selectors would pick McDonald (a good, but not yet great domestic player) before North in the last Test series. It is then remembered that Hodge, Bracken and David Hussey have been firmly ignored for years. Johnson's performance shouldn't be too surprising, but in some ways it is after his lackluster play in the ODIs. Back to Tests and back to business it seems. Johnson hitting his way clear of Gilchrist's record for most sixes in an over by an Australian batsmen is a resolute statement for the recognition of his ability as an all-round talent.

South Africa looks down and out, but one wonders if the "tale of the tail" theme that consistently transpired in the last series will occur in this one as well. Or perhaps that series will remain unique, a classic never to be repeated. It could be a muddy draw in Jo'burg rather than yet another dramatic loss or victory either way.

In the background of this series exists a story some might consider insignificant or uninteresting. Jacques Kallis' 10,000 runs is a mark of his domination of the all-rounder position in the modern era alongside the likes of Ian Botham and Richard Hadlee (as master15 informs me quite frequently). He will never be mentioned in the same breath as Sir Gary Sobers, but as his captain states, he remains a giant of the game. His passage into the later years of his career bears consideration.

Accused of being selfish, the man has been a team player throughout his career, the forever consistent anchor in a side fond of turmoil. Odd that this platitude has never extended to other technically observant and masterful players such as Dravid, unburdened by the charge of playing the lone hand as often as he has. Only Aravinda de Silva and Allan Border weaken the excuse of comparably outstanding singular pressure restricting a more majestic form of play. Kallis is no longer needed, but merely wanted; no more required to be overly contemptuous towards aesthetic and near fully bound to substance. However, one wonders if he would change, even if he could - as his more colourful early career suggests.

nice post tim. aussies with the definite upperhand and omg johnson for having a crazy match. he sure top runner for man of match for his all round performance. who needs a flintoff in the aussie line up??? we doooooonnnnnnnnnnnnttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!

Grug

A draw is pretty much as likely as an Australian win here.

Australia have to do everything right from here to get the win.

Have to score quickly on day 4 and get the declaration right. Need to leave South Africa with a sniff of victory. We'll need them attacking to get them out. Rain still looms as a factor.

master15 said:
I am so sad I haven't been able to watch any of this. The test match, pending no rain could be very interesting.

You're missing out on a good one, even though I'm only getting by on radio coverage. The Australian declaration today will be key.

tri_willy said:
nice post tim. aussies with the definite upperhand and omg johnson for having a crazy match. he sure top runner for man of match for his all round performance. who needs a flintoff in the aussie line up??? we doooooonnnnnnnnnnnnttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!

Have to agree on Mitchell Johnson, unless this game takes another twist. If I was Shane Watson and Andrew Symonds, I'd be worried. Getting back into this team with both Marcus North and Mitchell Johnson playing this well could be tough if they keep it up through this series and potentially into the Ashes.

legend166

Hopefully Symonds never wears the Baggy Green again. He's had enough chances.

Ponting is looking in great nick here. Hughes looks scratchy, but he's only 20, so it doesn't really matter how he gets his runs at this stage. Should have been out twice, though.

Edit: That was a great shot, though.

Grug

Puck said:
No it doesn't. It's firmly sitting on a draw.

The way the wickets are tumbling... the smart money would have to be on the Australian win now.

Weather permitting, South Africa will have to survive 5 sessions. A hell of a task.

If Australia take early wickets with the new ball, it becomes almost impossible.

If Smith and Mackenzie can survive the new ball, the draw comes back into the equation somewhat.

The longer Haddin stays in, the larger the chance of Australian victory. I still think it'll come out a draw, though. Outside chance for South Africa if they keep Australia under 200. Great first match either way.

Edit: Yes! Looks like Ntini agreed with my assessment and gets Haddin out; draw much more likely now, SA victory a ghost of a chance. Australian bowling will need to spot on to get the win. Final innings set to be a cracker.

Grug

Tim the Wiz said:
The longer Haddin stays in, the larger the chance of Australian victory. I still think it'll come out a draw, though. Outside chance for South Africa if they keep Australia under 200. Great first match either way.

Edit: Yes! Looks like Ntini agreed with my assessment and gets Haddin out; draw much more likely now, SA victory a ghost of a chance. Australian bowling will need to spot on to get the win. Final innings set to be a cracker.

Two interesting stats.

The side batting second has only won 3 of the last 30 tests at Wanderers.

The largest successful 4th innings chase at Wanderers is 294 runs.

If South Africa win from here Tim, you deserve the no 1 ranking, no questions asked. I'd suggest Graeme Smith is thinking draw and nothing else.

tri_willy

whoa, what a shite 2nd innings from the aussies here, but not fully aware of pitch conditions and such. game is certainly on by all means

Grug

If Ponting is smart, we'll bat one or two overs after lunch and then declare.

Why give their opening batsmen 40 mins to get ready when you can give them 10. :D

tri_willy

not a bad tactic grug, it will certainly give them the shits.

speaking of domestic circuit news, bit disappointed that jacques has been playing like shite for over the past year or so although his back problem may have contributed to his poor run. during the 2006 season he was raking in the runs and was nearly averaging 60 during that time.

Grug said:
Two interesting stats.

The side batting second has only won 3 of the last 30 tests at Wanderers.

The largest successful 4th innings chase at Wanderers is 294 runs.

If South Africa win from here Tim, you deserve the no 1 ranking, no questions asked. I'd suggest Graeme Smith is thinking draw and nothing else.

South Africa would certainly take a draw from here as a good result, and I'm sure surviving is what's uppermost in their minds at the moment. I only mention victory as an outside chance (the weather might have something to say about that as well) due to quite a few teams posting 400 plus fourth innings scores in recent years, including them at Perth earlier this season - with six wickets in hand, too. Their batting lineup will also be itching to display their prowess after a poor first-innings turnout. As for the stats, records are meant to be broken.

Grug

Graeme Smith standing tall.

Shouldn't have been so quick to write off the chance of a South African win.

Amla is fantastic to watch too, so technically sound with his strokes.

The pitch has really settled down too. Parallels with SA's tour of Australia where our inexperienced bowlers just struggle to get the wickets they need.

Smith throws away his wicket in the last half hour. Has to be annoyed with himself, but he helped put together a good start. Around 300 behind with one day to go. Tomorrow will be interesting.

Puck

Banned
SA need 276 with 8 wickets.
I don't think there is any chance of a draw from here. Great start by SA in this innings.
This test has been a rollercoaster, SA totally deserve the win after the way they bowled in the 2nd innings. They're going to set a lot of records.

Was funny watching the odds, i was thinking of putting money on @ $18 for SA to win, and then it slowly went down to $13 after AU were 4/70 odd, and then down to $9, and now it's sitting at $3.50.

If SA can survive the first session tonight, they have won the game.

Fuck the rain too, let's hope someone wins.

SA still have DV, Duminy and Boucher to come.

santouras

its just always a shame in games where there is such a big score that there usually isn't a result unless the other team absolutely capitulates.

Grug

South Africa survive the first hour without a wicket and are now favorites with betting agencies. Just like in Australia, our bowlers just can't seem to get the wickets.

Amazing how momentum shifts so often in test cricket. The ultimate form of the game by a massive margin.

Edit: And literally as I submitted that post, Amla holes out off Siddle.

Grug

Just a matter of time now.

Looking forward to the treatment Peter Siddle is about to dish out to Steyn after tea. :lol

santouras

should I stay up and watch the final session? already 12:20 here and I could do with the sleep, but its so close to victory....... :(

Thought we were in a bit of trouble when duminy and boucher were in. Both looked pretty composed and the game possibly heading to a draw. Good ball by siddle and the tail is throwing away wicket. Should seal this one pretty soon and a good start. we need it after the hiding we got here recently on all fronts.

Grug

santouras said:
should I stay up and watch the final session? already 12:20 here and I could do with the sleep, but its so close to victory....... :(

Seriously, you've got to watch the first few overs after tea at least.

The Siddle/Steyn rivalry has been fantastic. Siddle is going to go for the decapitation.

Grug

Sweet sweet victory.

Massive win for an Australian team with three debutants and with a 4th player playing just his second game.

We have a series on our hands.

santouras

yay! glad I stayed up :)

Grug said:
Sweet sweet victory.

Massive win for an Australian team with three debutants and with a 4th player playing just his second game.

We have a series on our hands.

siddle is also quite new, so its even more impressive

master15

Wow what a huge confidence boost that must be for the Aussie team. I think everyone even a few of their own fans had written them off (I'll admit I was pretty shaky) but it was fantastic to see some of the young guys step up.

Little doubt Saffers will be all fired up and destructive come Friday, it's now time for Aussies to back up this great performance and do it all over again. That will be true test for some of the new guys...

Top Bottom