• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

artist

Banned
Grug said:
Harby's frantic, desperate, self-preserving apology mere seconds after the incident speaks volumes about his guilt more than the word of Tendulkar who was standing at the other end of the pitch, well out of hearing range.
Well for starters, Symo wasnt sure himself. End of case right there. What Symo felt was sparked or I should say fueled by the whiny Pup. The only person there who knew Hindi besides Harbhajan was Tendulkar, so his word is good enough for me. He knows both Hindi & English which none of the Australians do.

Grug said:
So in all that rambling, the only thing you can pin on Australia is Gilly appealing for a catch that he thought was out.

HANG YOUR HEAD AUSTRALIA. :lol

For the record, Gilchrist explains his confusion over that incorrecr catch in considerable detail in his autobiography. You'll have to forgive me if I take the word of an sportsman with an impeccable record of integrity over you.

You have endless amounts of vitriol in your tank Irfan, but you are extremely sketchy when it comes to facts. Eventually I hope you'll be able to separate emotion and reality and demonstrate some critical thinking ability and perhaps even show that you can have a discussion without resorting to crude insinuations or outright fabrications.

In the mean time, its back on the ignore list for you. Hopefully for your sake you've grown up a little by the next time I foolishly give you the benefit of the doubt in the hope you have something meaningful to contribute. G'nite mate.
That is one example of the pure at heart Gilly being out of his normal self in Sydney Shame, the poor soul wasnt himself in that game either. There were two bounce catches, one of which Ponting claimed :lol and the reprieves (caught behinds) given to Symo (on 20 something) & Ponting, which even a deaf person could have heard, went on to add 150+ runs. The game was so slanted for Australia that it was as if the Australian womens team was playing so they were given such HUGE bonuses. :lol

The one with the junk in the trunk and bonnet is you, my Sheila. For once, put me on ignore and escape the truth. Live your life ignorant and in bliss. Think you are the frog living in his well. Rest in peace, Sheila.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
irfan said:
my Sheila.

Honest question, are you in any way a homosexual? Sheila is more a term of endearment, like saying "my woman" or "my girl". You seem to think its a derogitory statement by trying to make it sound like "my bitch" is that what you want?

I guess it all depends on the context in which its used like i could say "my sweet little curry muncher" as a term on endearment or as an insult, but anyways the terms in which you seem to be using it are inappropriate and it just leaves an awkward feel in the thread like your hoping Grug will be your woman for some OTHER reason.

artist

Banned
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Honest question, are you in any way a homosexual? Sheila is more a term of endearment, like saying "my woman" or "my girl". You seem to think its a derogitory statement by trying to make it sound like "my bitch" is that what you want?

I guess it all depends on the context in which its used like i could say "my sweet little curry muncher" as a term on endearment or as an insult, but anyways the terms in which you seem to be using it are inappropriate and it just leaves an awkward feel in the thread like your hoping Grug will be your woman for some OTHER reason.
:lol No.

I know Sheila is common Aussie term used to refer a girl, I just dont want to use my mate with Grug/master15.

master15

Grug you truly are a GAF nostradamus ;) Then again if the last thread taught us anything it was a certain poster has the same posting habitats of a deranged, sore looser. The same lone arguements of last summer, and making up facts on the fly. So good...

Anyone think McGain will get a whirl? Unfortunately it's a sad stage of affairs when Saffers have better spin options in D-man and Harris then Australia :/

artist

Banned
master15 said:
Grug you truly are a GAF nostradamus ;) Then again if the last thread taught us anything it was a certain poster has the same posting habitats of a deranged, sore looser. The same lone arguements of last summer, and making up facts on the fly. So good...
You've got a nice circle jerk going on .. keep 'em coming. Thats what you're best at.

legend166 said:
Woah woah woah, you guys don't have irfan on your ignore list?
Circle.jerk +1 :lol

Love it! :D

tri_willy

master15 said:

Anyone think McGain will get a whirl? Unfortunately it's a sad stage of affairs when Saffers have better spin options in D-man and Harris then Australia :/

i'm hoping he gets a call up. my guess is that if he does get called, it will either be at the expense of either north or mcdonald.

Pachael

irfan said:
The game was so slanted for Australia that it was as if the Australian womens team was playing so they were given such HUGE bonuses. :lol

I wouldn't say that's the best of analogies considering the Australian women's current form...

Actually cricket has lots of roadblocks, and these (the No.1 Test team) are like construction cones on the side of the road, small and insignificant compared to the brick walls ahead.

The biggest is clearly the Lahore attacks, terrorism and the now outcast Pakistan team. To put things into perspective, I find that a bigger tragedy. Regardless of political views cricket teams and umpires should be given the utmost care when travelling and playing matches. I'd rather see more cricket than less and it'd be horrible if people start pulling out of the IPL for instance because of this.

artist

Banned
Pachael said:
I wouldn't say that's the best of analogies considering the Australian women's current form...

Actually cricket has lots of roadblocks, and these (the No.1 Test team) are like construction cones on the side of the road, small and insignificant compared to the brick walls ahead.

The biggest is clearly the Lahore attacks, terrorism and the now outcast Pakistan team. To put things into perspective, I find that a bigger tragedy. Regardless of political views cricket teams and umpires should be given the utmost care when travelling and playing matches. I'd rather see more cricket than less and it'd be horrible if people start pulling out of the IPL for instance because of this.
I agree whole-heartedly.

I was banking on the IPL for some good entertainment in April since I'll have some spare time next month.

On a side note, its clear that India is Pakistan's rival but they dont have to blame everything on India, for instance these attacks on the SL team which later turned out to be al-qaeda.

Grug

I always derived a little amusement from it to be honest. Not only for the fact that it was making him look ridiculous instead of me, but also for the fact that he actually seemed to think it was going to offend us. :lol

To the educated, cultural stereotypes have always said more about the speaker rather than the target.

Now, back the the topic that 99.9 percent of the thread want to talk about... cricket.

Pachael

OK the Women's World Cup Final will be between England and (probably) NZ after beating the West Indies by 146 runs and India by 5 wickets separately.

Only the top 2 of the Super Six get to the finals. England are certain to be in the final however there's only one round left in the Super Six, with New Zealand in the hot seat with 6 pts but their Net RR is poor compared to Australia and India with 4 points:

Australia v England: Expect the English to win unless they're resting girls for the final. An Australian win should be enough to put them into the final (unless the RR is terrible compared to India's or NZ pulls off a major win)

India v West Indies: India. West Indies have lost all their matches in the Super Six. Need lots of Net RR if it wants to charge to the finals.

New Zealand v Pakistan: Pakistan not doing too well here - New Zealand to win and make the final. Only a loss can put NZ out of the final now.

I think England will play NZ in the final and take them out to win.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
RandomVince said:
I noticed it a few weeks back. My contribution will begin when the Bombers get their first 4 points :D
:D Another to join the good fight.

legend166 said:
Woah woah woah, you guys don't have irfan on your ignore list?
:lol :lol He is one of two. Lucky guy

Grug

0,,6535392,00.jpg

Look at our fucking captain. This is the face of a leader, a warrior, a champion. An artist with the willow.

*bows*

Grug said:
0,,6535392,00.jpg

Look at our fucking captain. This is the face of a leader, a warrior, a champion. An artist with the willow.

*bows*

Are we looking at the same guy? :p To be honest, I think he's a good leader: a bit shy on tactical skill but excellent on the man-management side of things. "Warrior" seems a bit theatrical, but champion and "artist with the willow" do tend to fit. He's definitely one of the modern game's greatest batsmen.

artist

Banned
Grug said:
I always derived a little amusement from it to be honest. Not only for the fact that it was making him look ridiculous instead of me, but also for the fact that he actually seemed to think it was going to offend us. :lol

To the educated, cultural stereotypes have always said more about the speaker rather than the target.

Now, back the the topic that 99.9 percent of the thread want to talk about... cricket.
Typical Gruggy ...
1. Flame bait with the start of new thread
2. Troll
3. Flame bait
4. Troll
5. "Lets get back on topic"
6. Go to step 1.

:lol

Grug said:
http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,6535392,00.jpg

*bows*
Looks like a random guy from the most wanted list.
Seriously, most unflattering picture of Ponting.

NZ under way at 16 for no loss after Dhoni sent them in: http://content.cricinfo.com/nzvind2009/engine/current/match/366628.html

Grug

Victoria secured the draw in the Sheffield Shield final and win the shield.

The Queensland Bulls were predicted to struggle badly this year, I'm really surprised we did so well.

Third test starts in a day... I wonder if McGain will finally get his Baggy Green cap.

tri_willy

damn kiwi's doing a shit job in their first test against the indians. that was expected since the kiwi's arent a great test side. sharma and khan doing the damage, ryder and vettori batting alright so far.

a shame the sheffield shield ended in a draw due to the shit weather

Rezbit

Grug said:
Third test starts in a day... I wonder if McGain will finally get his Baggy Green cap.

I really doubt it. I think they will keep the same team, but now Ponting will probably be prepared to give Katich more of a trundle, particularly at the tail.

Pachael

Grug said:
Victoria secured the draw in the Sheffield Shield final and win the shield.

The Queensland Bulls were predicted to struggle badly this year, I'm really surprised we did so well.

Yay Vics

tri_willy

I had a dream bout cricket last night for some stupid reason SA got out for 157 or something Aus got out for like 47 lol, dream or nightmare lol. Meh.

dreams/nightmares never become true :D

Pachael

Eng v NZ in the Women's World Cup final after NZ wallopped Pakistan. Like predicted, I think England took their feet off the gas a bit :p

Grug

Geez, why didn't Hughes appeal his LBW.

Was nowhere near out.

Then Punter went straight afterwards.

Momentum shift and a half.

Grug

tri_willy said:
wtf at middle order collapse. thats it, mussey needs a "rest".

4/81. We're in the poo a little here. Especially as we are one batter down with North in hospital.

Glad we have the series wrapped up, otherwise I'd be crying.

Would be an amazing symmetry to the South African tour of Australia if the Proteas win the third match here. They certainly don't deserve to lose the number 2 ranking to lesser sides.

The ball that got Clarke's wicket was an absolute gem.

tri_willy

i actually dont mind if the saffers win here (at least put up a fucking fight you aussies!!!). coz im reminded if they dont draw at least, then india gets the no.2 ranking. now we cant have that can we? :D

tri_willy said:
wtf at middle order collapse. thats it, mussey needs a "rest".

That's a bit harsh, he was looking quite good before Steyn cleaned him up. In comparison, Clarke's dismissal seemed worse.

Katich is lucky he's still out there, inside edge for four. :lol

tri_willy

the career of a cricketer can be harsh wouldnt u say tim? aussies will be fortunate if they can break 200 at this stage, thats not a lack of faith but the saffers are dominating atm

Grug said:
Enjoy retirement Steve (or Morgan Freeman as the 12th Man liked to call him )

"It would have made a great photo: Steve Bucknor and Morgan Freeman together."

Apparently Matt Damon and Morgan Freeman are in town and were supposed to come down to the cricket today, according to ABC Grandstand. They're both cast in Clint Eastwood's Nelson Mandela biopic, so I guess the 2009 release date is real. :)

tri_willy said:
the career of a cricketer can be harsh wouldnt u say tim? aussies will be fortunate if they can break 200 at this stage, thats not a lack of faith but the saffers are dominating atm

It definitely is harsh, but I think Hussey deserves more time to get back on his feet after finding his first long run of poor form in the Test side.

As for the South African team, I have to disagree with Smith on the recent personnel changes. McKenzie had to go. The useful half-centuries were even scarcer than Amla's against Australia. Albie probably brings better balance to the side with more depth to the middle-order, and guys like Gilchrist and Yuvraj (not to mention Haddin) have proved that big stroke-players definitely have a place in the Test arena. His bowling isn't bad either and so far appears more economical that Morne's in the last three matches. So, unless he completely fails in his batting performance, he should stick in the Test side.

I Khan has a chance of ousting Ashwell Prince from the team when Smith comes back if he can outperform him as an opener here and in the next few Test matches, assuming he keeps getting picked.

tri_willy

good stuff katich for hanging in there. yea agreed, mckenzie was playing shit although sad to see him go. from his long awaited turn, he picked up on form until the australian series where he had less of an impact. this may as well end his test career given that gibbs is also out of favour

"McDonald averages 37 with the bat and 29 with the ball in first-class cricket. That's good enough to bat 7 and be a fourth bowler in tests. Brett Lee, as a comparison, bats at half the average and has a bowling average just 0.6 better."

Cricinfo.com crowd are rough, but I'd argue that domestic cricket records aren't the ultimate indicator of Test match performance. Hope Brett Lee makes a comeback, although it could be hard considering his age. (for example, he's older than Ntini)

McDonald gone. Finally, Ntini gets a deserved wicket. Edged straight to Kallis at first slip.

Edit: Siddle gone. 190/8. Ntini warming to the tail. Australia out for a sub-250 score would give the South African batting lineup a great deal of confidence.

tri_willy

followed by siddler

if first class records were indications of test match performances, pup would have never got a chance to bat down the middle order. d.hussey would have easily staked his claim, so would jacques and rogers.

Johnson gone for 35 hitting into the breeze for 6. South Africa should bat today.

Edit: McGain gets out and Australia bowled for 209. It'll be very interesting to see how this all-new opening partnership perform.

Grug

All it takes is for South Africa's bowlers to lift 10 percent and our batsmen to tail off 10 percent and this is what can happen.

South Africa have more to play for in this test and it shows.

Steyn is awesome when his confidence is up.

Top Bottom