• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Grug

Is the ICC Test Championship Mace the most impractical design for a trophy in world sport?

How the hell do Cricket Australia fit that thing in their cabinet?

Ricky-Ponting-ICC-Test-Mace-170209.jpg

Dizzan

MINI Member
Holy shit I just chencked cricinfo and it said Parnell and Steyn destroy top ordr. I was expecting 3 for 30 or something. I saw 5 for 35 and nearly fell off my chair.

We're fucked.

New Wisden is out.

Test XI

V. Sehwag (India)
G. C. Smith (South Africa)(Vice-Captain)
R. T. Ponting (Australia)
S. R. Tendulkar (India)
K. P. Pietersen (England)
S. Chanderpaul (West Indies)
M. S. Dhoni (India) (Captain)
Harbhajan Singh (India)
M. G. Johnson (Australia)
D. W. Steyn (South Africa)
Zaheer Khan (India)

Leading Cricketer in the World is Sehwag(he just beat Smith)

A quote for Grub:

Wisden said:
The major story of 2008 on the field was Australia's loss of supremacy in Test cricket in all but official terms, while in 50-over internationals their decline culminated in January this year when they were deposed as No. 1 in the ICC rankings by South Africa. Australia's Test dominance had lasted about 14 years, as had the immediately preceding reign of West Indies.
It was after reaching an apogee of 16 consecutive Test wins in January 2008, equalling their own world record, that Australia plummeted. Perhaps it was a curse which Anil Kumble placed on Ricky Ponting's team after India's Test in Sydney, when he said that only one side was playing within the spirit of the game. Injuries afflicted their bowlers; batsmen who joined the IPL, notably Matthew Hayden, Mike Hussey and Andrew Symonds, lost form, in Hayden's case terminally; and their fielding was surpassed by South Africa's. Of the Australian side at Lord's in 2005, only four are playing Test cricket four years on. Hayden, Justin Langer, Damien Martyn, Adam Gilchrist, Shane Warne, Jason Gillespie and Glenn McGrath - a few candidates there for an All-Time XI to face Mars - are gone.

tri_willy

Cerebral Assassin said:
New Wisden is out.

Test XI

V. Sehwag (India)
S. R. Tendulkar (India)
Harbhajan Singh (India)
Zaheer Khan (India)

A quote for Grub:

ajantha mendis could almost make a claim for the spinner's spot there. harby may have just nabbed that spot

tri_willy said:
ajantha mendis could almost make a claim for the spinner's spot there. harby may have just nabbed that spot

Yeah, Harbhajan is probably the only guy I have any real reservations with on that list. Sehwag definitely deserves the leading player award, though. The man has become a force of nature.

artist

Banned
tri_willy said:
Mendis needs to prove a whole lot more before we can get any sort of reading on the guy .. the Indians figured him out quite quickly, will have to see how he adjusts.

I would've picked Vettori over Harbhajan but dont mind the inclusion just because it will piss off some. ;)

Grug

Cerebral Assassin said:
New Wisden is out.

Test XI

V. Sehwag (India)
S. R. Tendulkar (India)
Harbhajan Singh (India)
Zaheer Khan (India)

A quote for Grub:

No English people in the list.

Bea-uti-ful.

The rise of Mitchell Johnson has been meteoric. Total man-crush on the guy.

tri_willy

Grug said:
No English people in the list.

Bea-uti-ful.

The rise of Mitchell Johnson has been meteoric. Total man-crush on the guy.

yea... no true pommies!!! :D

for those who didnt know,
pietersen is south african and moved to england because he was unhappy with the quota system. thats why smithy has the shits on him.
south africa could have owned cricket if he were still there.

reminds me of brendan nash who used to play first class for queensland who ended up playing for the west indies atm. fancy being the only white guy on the team

tri_willy said:
yea... no true pommies!!! :D

for those who didnt know,
pietersen is south african and moved to england because he was unhappy with the quota system. thats why smithy has the shits on him.
south africa could have owned cricket if he were still there.

reminds me of brendan nash who used to play first class for queensland who ended up playing for the west indies atm. fancy being the only white guy on the team

? It probably isn't a problem once the team dynamic sets in and talent is displayed.

artist

Banned
Cerebral Assassin said:
When you Aussies take the chip off your shoulders( so likely never) and good job comparing 200yrs to 2000 its a fair comparison.
Oh shit! :lol :D

Btw, De Villiers just gone. SA building up a decent total, the ball is expected to move a bit under lights .. so SA might need atleast 75 more runs.

artist

Banned
43.5 Geeves to Duminy, (no ball) FOUR, oh the above waist-high full toss on the off stump line, Duminy goes for the pull and it flies off the edge over the keeper. Ponting rushes to have a chat with the umpire. It was indeed a high full toss

Jeez, Ponting clearly takes the Captain Crybaby title in world cricket.

Grug

Cerebral Assassin said:
When you Aussies take the chip off your shoulders( so likely never) and good job comparing 200yrs to 2000 its a fair comparison.

No, it was a hopeless retort and you know it.

"Descended from English people."

:lol

Go Cerebral... cheer, cheer, cheer for English DNA!.

Grug

tri_willy said:
fair effort by the saffers, if aussies managed to get the runs, im calling that they will reclaim the no.1 spot

I've honestly mentally checked out until the Ashes.

Football combined with fewer late nights because of uni isn't good for my inner cricket fan. Haven't seen a cricket bat hit a ball since the third test.

Thank god for Cricinfo.

Can't believe Symonds has been given another chance... its not like his form demanded it. Not keen on the series vs Pakistan in any sense, I'd rather the boys had a rest before the Ashes.

artist

Banned
Aussies are still in the test mode (30/1 after 10 overs) .. heck even in tests teams score at a higher rate these days .. :lol :lol

tri_willy

one of the reasons why australia may fail more in the future: mj clarke

another middle order shutdown although i hear that mussey got out with a shite decision

Excellent last two ODIs from the SA team. The amount of bowling depth on hand is pretty exciting with two young bowlers displaying their talents of swing and spin bowling in making their impact against Australia. (and don't forget the injured Tsotsobe, who did a solid job on tour in Australia) The squad being built for the 2011 WC looks fantastic. Picking up the junior 20/20 title would be nice as well, I guess.

Still, the series isn't wrapped up yet. However, it seems like the Australian selectors are happily looking ahead. I'm surprised golden boy Warner failed to make the cut for the Pakistan ODI series while Watson and Symonds got unlikely second chances. (Lee is back, too) Watson, though, has had some great domestic batting form leading up to his selection, even if his injury prevents him from bowling. Getting picked like this might turn out worse for Symonds than being ignored right now, although his age works against him in the future. It might have been better to come through with some decent domestic form: fail here, and he could be out for good. Fingers crossed, hey. At least he wasn't thrown to the wolves. (read: SA)

IPL starting up next week again. Anyone else going to be watching? I'd say it's worth it simply to see guys like Warney and McGrath playing again.

Grug said:
No, it was a hopeless retort and you know it.

"Descended from English people."

:lol

Go Cerebral... cheer, cheer, cheer for English DNA!.

Your right your retort was hopeless(I'd would be easier for you if you learnt to quote properly, then you might not be calling yourself hopeless)

I see you know very little about DNA, in fact I would lay money that your DNA is a lot closer to "English"(I'm assuming you mean Anglo-Saxon DNA) than mine(unless you are a "real" indigenous Australian).
Also the fact that your 1st comment was not, well done to M.Johnson or wondering why Ponting wasn't captain, it was a simple-minded dig at Petersen( because its not like Petersen has an English mother or anything) which coupled with the fact that Australia have fielded similar players(how many Australian parents do Symonds and Jacques have?) meant it would be easy to have a dig(and you blundered straight in, I didn't even have to call you a convict or anything) and did you really expect any other Englishmen in the team? They only really have 2 players that could be considered anyway(just like you Aussies) and one was injured for a big chunk of the year. I didn't see irfan going on about how there are twice as many Indians in the team than Australians(but then again hes from a country thats moved on from its colonial past)

Anyway back to cricket.

irfan said:
Jeez, Ponting clearly takes the Captain Crybaby title in world cricket.

Yeah he's had that since the Ashes in 2005 and his hissy fit at Trent Bridge( the moment Duncan Fletcher knew the Ashes were in the bag, great captaincy btw :lol ) lots of great examples of the Aussies love for the spirit of the game in the article too.

I fancy the Rajasthan Royals for the IPL again, even though Warney claims he hasn't bowled a ball in a year, especially as its now in SA.Also talking of Warne why was he not given the captaincy after Waugh. Was he too old or was it to do with his personal life?(I doubt it was to do with suitability for the job).

Cerebral Assassin said:
I fancy the Rajasthan Royals for the IPL again, even though Warney claims he hasn't bowled a ball in a year, especially as its now in SA.Also talking of Warne why was he not given the captaincy after Waugh. Was he too old or was it to do with his personal life?(I doubt it was to do with suitability for the job).

His professional controversies and off-field life. He probably should have been captain after Waugh. However, even though it's easy to criticize the other aspects of Ponting's captaincy, he has done a good job of putting faith in good players at the right time. Symonds at the 2003 WC (a good year for the tournament) comes to mind.

tri_willy

Cerebral Assassin said:

yup. his personal life and off field antics sealed his captaincy ambition. as much as i like ponting, he also had some issues during his younger days. warne may have been robbed there

Tim the Wiz said:
His professional controversies and off-field life. He probably should have been captain after Waugh. However, even though it's easy to criticize the other aspects of Ponting's captaincy, he has done a good job of putting faith in good players at the right time. Symonds at the 2003 WC (a good year for the tournament) comes to mind.

Don't get me wrong Ponting's not a bad captain by any means, its just Warne comes across as someone who would have been better(motivator/more inventive field settings etc.) or maybe its just because Ponting looks miserable most of the time.

artist

Banned
SA has the ODI cup in the bag (currently) unless Ponting can do something remarkable.

Another QUALITY innings from Pup, what a kid!!!1 He is Ponting's replacement, right? :lol :lol :lol :|

Its amazing, all the aussie GAFFers are conspicously absent during Australia's losses. :D

tri_willy

irfan said:
SA has the ODI cup in the bag (currently) unless Ponting can do something remarkable.

Another QUALITY innings from Pup, what a kid!!!1 He is Ponting's replacement, right? :lol :lol :lol :|

Its amazing, all the aussie GAFFers are conspicously absent during Australia's losses. :D

actually i just checked the results. major wtf at the aussie bowling conceding the runs but credit to the saffers batsmen. clarke playing another useless innings imo. if the run chase was 300+ why are u not scoring a run a ball. another middle order collapse ffs!!!

irfan said:

Mostly, it's because of a lack of free-to-air coverage.

Edit: Gibbs century. Pinch me, is it 2007? With that series win, it looks set that SA will be the number one ODI side leading into the 2011 WC. Hopefully, we can finally deliver. No more Alan Donald moments, please.

Grug

Tim the Wiz said:
Mostly, it's because of a lack of free-to-air coverage.

Footy season is the culprit here. Although I will be making time for the Ashes, rain, hail or shine. Trying to get uni assessment done in advance so I can enjoy it in full.

Haven't seen any footage from the ODI's but congrats to the Proteas on what appears to be a pretty cruisy series win.

Grug

Tim the Wiz said:
No more Alan Donald moments, please.

I thought everyone pointed the finger at Klusener for that. Sure Donald dropped the bat but was the run really on?

Haven't seen the footage in a while, so I could be wrong.

artist

Banned
Grug said:
Footy season is the culprit here. Although I will be making time for the Ashes, rain, hail or shine.
Because Australia has better chances of winning against the poms. :lol

Last ODI on currently and Australia are 196/3 with over 17 overs left. Should easily go on to score atleast 350+ and possibly win.

artist

Banned
Australia 238/6, 3 more wickets down. Although SA have tightened the noose around Australia's neck, the collapse is due to M Hussey's lack of form, he's now run out Hopes ..

tri_willy

aussies barely make 303. wow at duminy for getting 3 wickets. not sure if they were cheapy, but it sure slowed down the batsmen. damn david hussey has been doing not so great this odi series. hope he picks up again

Grug

tri_willy said:
aussies barely make 303. wow at duminy for getting 3 wickets. not sure if they were cheapy, but it sure slowed down the batsmen. damn david hussey has been doing not so great this odi series. hope he picks up again

Didn't see the game but based on the scorecard it looks like the same old story, can't seem to get all our team firing at once. When one player lifts, another one lets us down.

David Hussey has to be dropped.

At least our top order were able to get going at the same time.

tri_willy

IPL starts. The Mumbai Indians off to a slowish start by normal standards and Hayden drops a pie of a sitter from Tendulkar off Flintoff's bowling.

pilonv1

tri_willy said:
IPL starts. The Mumbai Indians off to a slowish start by normal standards and Hayden drops a pie of a sitter from Tendulkar off Flintoff's bowling.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol @ the dog on the field

Tim the Wiz said:
The crowd seemed to enjoy it more than the cricket. :)

CSK should win here. MI look slow with the bat.

Edit: My mistake, lookalike on the field.

:lol @ the dog!

I found the match a bit boring for 20/20 match though.

Bubblicious said:
:lol @ the dog!

I found the match a bit boring for 20/20 match though.

Yeah, CSK's batting overall was pretty disappointing. Tendulkar really stood up for MI to win, though.

Rajasthan Royals are decimating the competition here. Warne's sending shivers up my spine: starts his penultimate over with a perfect leg break, sends in a quicker one that's almost an lbw, and then bowls him on the consecutive ball with a slower, beautifully flighted delivery. His last over is starting now...

Edit: :lol Looks like pre-2008 Dravid is back. Excellent knock of 66. (at a great strike rate, too) Featured his trademark drives and a big slog or two - with one ending up in the crowd. Score is competetive (133), but RR should knock it off with the batting talent they have.

artist

Banned
RR lost, being bundled out for 50 odd. Lowest ever IPL score. Warne & co. need some reflection and need to come back stronger. Two out of two for unexpected results.

IPL 2009 ! = IPL 2008. The batsmen need to adjust their game while the bowlers have a better chance of exploiting the pitches, even spinners.

irfan said:
RR lost, being bundled out for 50 odd. Lowest ever IPL score. Warne & co. need some reflection and need to come back stronger. Two out of two for unexpected results.

IPL 2009 ! = IPL 2008. The batsmen need to adjust their game while the bowlers have a better chance of exploiting the pitches, even spinners.

Yes, very surprising result. Maybe it was the difference in pitches, but it felt like no-one on the RR team was willing to adapt and go for singles, instead there was attempts at the boundary and nothing else. They'll need to bring more concentration and control to their next batting innings. However, their bowling effort was great and if anything, I would say they might have let the intensity drop at certain points where they really could have turned the screws on the batting side and provoked a more thorough collapse.

Top Bottom