• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Prince silences the doubters with a confident half-century. South Africa cruising at 105/1.

Smith
Prince
Amla
Kallis
De Villiers
Duminy
Boucher
A Morkel
Harris
Steyn
Ntini

Future lineup for the Test series against India?

Poor McGain, Prince raced to his century with three consecutive fours in his third over. Exceptional comeback for the guy. He played some great innings in England last year.

tri_willy

wtf @ mcgain. at least krezja got wickets & even katich despite the fact it was against the tail.
props to siddler for his awesome stingyness

artist

Banned
Grug said:
Would be an amazing symmetry to the South African tour of Australia if the Proteas win the third match here. They certainly don't deserve to lose the number 2 ranking to lesser sides.
tri_willy said:
i actually dont mind if the saffers win here (at least put up a fucking fight you aussies!!!). coz im reminded if they dont draw at least, then india gets the no.2 ranking. now we cant have that can we? :D
Love it!

Australia playing in this test like rubbish, they like normal selves for the past couple of months. Wonder if they can be consistent like they used to be may be a year or two ago.

_44358707_ponting416.jpg

"Mate, he clearly didnt get his bat to the ball. Reverse that decision, Kallis should not get his centry .. *CRY* *WHINE* *CRY*"

Clearly a "warrior" !!!11

On NZ v Ind, Tendulkar with his 42nd Test century & 84 overall. o_O

McGain to bowl the last over of the day. :lol Greeted by cheers from the crowd.

irfan said:
On NZ v Ind, Tendulkar with his 42nd Test century & 84 overall. o_O

Tendulkar's career stats, especially in ODIs, are extremely formidable.

Edit: Eight off the over, with a six from De Villiers. Worst economy rate in Test match history for McGain. Can't help but feel sorry for the guy, almost certainly his last Test appearance.

Great century from Jacques Kallis; had plenty of beautiful stroke-play, as well as some big shots, two of which went for 6. ("the complete all-rounder ... second only to Gary Sobers" - ABC Grandstand :D) It's amazing what a good opening hand can do for a innings. Prince's 150 really gave the middle order room to play naturally. Should make over 500 from here.

tri_willy

Grug said:
He's still better than Hauritz. :lol

lol hauritz. even katich is better than hauritz :D

for anyone following the kiwi-indian test match, what do they make of the controversy surrounding tendulkar's "catch" which got mcintosh out whilst in india's 1st innings, ms dhoni was given not out after ryder claimed a catch which got the benefit of the doubt

artist

Banned
tri_willy said:
for anyone following the kiwi-indian test match, what do they make of the controversy surrounding tendulkar's "catch" which got mcintosh out whilst in india's 1st innings, ms dhoni was given not out after ryder claimed a catch which got the benefit of the doubt
Not sure if you were watching the "real" match where McIntosh was caught very cleanly by Sehwag in the first innings. Now if you were talking about McIntosh's 2nd innings dismissal then ..

CricInfo said:
Khan to McIntosh, OUT, Tendulkar takes it very low at first slip and he's hurt his finger, McIntosh fails to dig out a full delivery and the ball clips the top of the bat and travels low to Tendulkar at first slip who falls forward and appears to take it an inch off the ground, now he releases the ball after the dive and for a split second we aren't sure if he took it cleanly, McIntosh isn't sure either and he waits but Gould was convinced, replays aren't dead accurate and he MAY have got his fingers underneath the ball, I repeat, MAY. It's a tough one, I must admit. Tendulkar started celebrating immediately , Perhaps McIntosh could have stood his ground with more conviction.
And I agree. That was the difference.

Puck

Banned
Yeah, AU's chances of winning were gone as soon as SA passed their first innings.

Mcgain is awful. He is 37 for fucks sake.
Hauritz / Krezja are 27.

We need to take a risk on someone young like we have done with Hughes and let them find their game and learn on the pitch.
At the moment we have poor bowling stocks, in all departments. The current domestic bowlers are awful, bowling against below average batsmen.

tri_willy

younger guys include cullen bailey (SA - leg), daniel cullen (SA - off), beau casson (NSW - SLA chinamen). a bit SA bias on my behalf haha

legend166

Why do I get the feeling the next and time we hear from McGain he'll be hanging from his ceiling. He got tonked like no Test bowler I've ever seen.

Also, this is a woeful performance from Australia. They should be ashamed. Show some fight.

Pachael

legend166 said:
Why do I get the feeling the next and time we hear from McGain he'll be hanging from his ceiling. He got tonked like no Test bowler I've ever seen.

Also, this is a woeful performance from Australia. They should be ashamed. Show some fight.

So, who wanted Mcgain in? ;p
As for SA, this is the fight Australia wanted in the first two tests.

tri_willy

katich claiming a wicket confirms the end of mcgain... he will never play... again... :D

WTF!? 2 wickets in an over for kato!? holy moly

cilonen

The finish to the WIndies / England ODI yesterday was a complete farce.

It was a cracking game, with Chanderpaul's really uncharacteristic innings (46 off 30 deliveries) turning the tide to bring the WIndies back into it. We were all set for a knife edge finish when England took a couple of quick wickets with the light fading and 22 deliveries left. The WIndies coaches seemed to miss the second of the quick dismissals and called their men in as soon as they were offered the light, but by the D/L method they were one run behind.

England handed the win by the WIndies coaches misreading the D/L tables. They deserve to lose for playing so negatively in the last couple of overs and constantly asking for the light (while they were ahead on D/L). England, however, did not deserve to win. They still look shit and the form of some of the players is just abysmal.

tri_willy

yea chanderpaul smacked 26 off an over.

some interesting info from cricinfo:

"Haddin's let through 183 byes so far, midway through his 15th Test, at a rate of 2.03 per 100 opposition runs scored. Not in the same bracket, however, as England's Prior, whose 252 byes in his first 15 Tests (not including the abandoned Antigua fiasco) are at a rate of 2.95 per 100 opposition runs scored.

Neither has Haddin been particularly quick off the mark, taking nine Tests to reach his first byes century compared with Prior's seven - and this achievement of Prior's is matched by that of another notable England gloveman of recent years, Geraint Jones."

master15

Ouch, back to reality, only being able to watch the highlights it's hard to tell if Australia gave it everything and have nothing left in the tank, or South Africa desperately want to take a win out of this series.

I haven't seen much of Prince but from highlights package he seems to be a run-machine, I wasn't to thrilled by pigfucker getting a centuary, esp after how ordinary he looked when he first came out. I think it's safe to say Steyn has the wood over Hussey in a big, big way.

If Steyn can fire up, I am doubtful we can save this test match. Oh and McGain, he's going to be kicked to the side, what is with the half-trackers...

artist

Banned
Shaw's spell almost destroyed NZ's chances for the cup, it'll take a miracle for the poms to lose from here. Shame they played so well in the previous games ..

Grug

We should have dozens of competitive young leg spin bowlers who grew up watching Shane Warne.

The fact that we don't is really rather sad.

Grug

jey_16 said:
IPL is going to be moved from India.....cant believe that they are doing that

Good decision by the BCCI.

Its the players who make the game, and their safety should be the ultimate priority.

Pachael

True, and that's what it should be (safety first) ... although now it can be argued that the idea of the IPL itself is sinking by the day :(

Hoepfully it's only for this year's edition. Can't see them doing this long term.

Grug

Only a matter of time now until South Africa take out the third test.

Johnson and McDonald are providing some resistance at least. May even drag the match into a 5th day.

tri_willy

Grug said:
Only a matter of time now until South Africa take out the third test.

Johnson and McDonald are providing some resistance at least. May even drag the match into a 5th day.

you're not kidding. makes me wonder how the other aussie batsmen did it so tough

tri_willy

ponting, clarke, hussey and maybe haddin should be ashamed of themselves since johnson is 3rd leading aussie run scorer in the team, only katich and hughesy are better.

artist

Banned
tri_willy said:
sorry for triple post but FUCKING johnson gets his maiden TON!!! WELL DONE SON!!! :D
I dont think now Symo has a place for him in the test side, well played Johnson. Only saving grace for Australia in the match.

master15

Like it was not a hard decision before, but I think after this performance and over last summer, is it pretty fair to call Johnson a true all-rounder? What an innings...

Props to Saffers for taking it out, clearly they wanted this game much more. Looks like they get that nice little price bonus too :lol

Ps. Anyone see the Windies coach fuck up with DWL calculations...almost as good as Pollock fucking up in the world cup.

Grug

master15 said:
Like it was not a hard decision before, but I think after this performance and over last summer, is it pretty fair to call Johnson a true all-rounder?.

It would be unfair not to!

Not to harp on about Ponting again too much, but Johnson's success is also Ponting's.

He saw the potential in Johnson when the rest of the cricket world was saying "how the hell is this bloke playing test cricket?"

Ricky continued to persist with him despite the weight of criticism and even started giving him the new ball. The rest is history. Now Johnson is easily the most valuable player in our side.

Perhaps only a great batsman can judge a great bowler?

tri_willy

yea the kiwi's amazingly have the upperhand for the time being. it will be interesting to see what dravid and tendulkar will pull out 2moro. well done to taylor, fat ryder and mccullum for getting their tons. about time mccullum had another ton.

edit: vettori has a cool beard. but they dont come any better than amla or mohammad yousuf

artist

Banned
Geeves started off well but got nicely whipped by the end. Nice win for SA, they must be hoping to carry the winning momentum into the one-day series.

Typically Gruggy response: T20 doesnt matter OMGWTFBBQ

South Africa were in deep trouble at one stage - they were 83 for 5 - but Boucher and Morkel sparked a revival with a stand of 58 for the sixth wicket. Morkel fell for a superb 19-ball 37 but Boucher stayed till the end, repeating his feat in that famous chase of 434, to guide his team to a thrilling four-wicket win.
Oh, the memories (nightmares for few :lol :lol :lol )

And in another news, West Indies trumped England like they were Kenya or a similar team. Bowled out for 114 and chased the target in 14 overs. :lol

artist

Banned
India managing to hold on in this test after a dismal performance in the first innings. It's a sure shot draw unless India screw up again or kiwis pull out something remarkable in the first sessions tomorrow.

artist

Banned
Australia reeling right now in a game they were easily on top for quite a while .. :lol :lol :lol

I wanted to see Ferguson bat, poor guy was run out by Hussey.

tri_willy

irfan said:
Australia reeling right now in a game they were easily on top for quite a while .. :lol :lol :lol

I wanted to see Ferguson bat, poor guy was run out by Hussey.

gosh, hussey's been running out ppl quite more often. i guess the decision making calls were shite. wtf at clarke for batting as if it were a 50 over innings, GTFO!!! fucking poor batting effort by some of the aussies

artist

Banned
tri_willy said:
gosh, hussey's been running out ppl quite more often. i guess the decision making calls were shite. wtf at clarke for batting as if it were a 50 over innings, GTFO!!! fucking poor batting effort by some of the aussies
But he's coming off good lately, with the bat of course. I guess he'll be a big asset for KKR in this IPL season.

artist

Banned
tri_willy said:
wtf at hauritz inclusion, surprisingly came in handy with the bat. mike hussey finally bats good
But he did good with the ball, which is what matters in the end. Really disappointing game in the sense that wasnt contested at all.

Grug

tri_willy said:
wtf at hauritz inclusion, surprisingly came in handy with the bat. mike hussey finally bats good

Great to see Muss get among the runs again.

My mate doesn't rate him at all any more and was spewing about it. "Great! Now the dud has bought himself at least another few months of selection... there go the Ashes!"

:lol

I feel the same way about Hauritz. Hopefully he gets smashed around the park next game. Can't be relying on players like him to help us retain the the Ashes (the most important trophy in world cricket from an Australian perspective). Can't fuck this up.

Top Bottom