• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

FFChris

RandomVince said:
Its a shame that after this test the ledger wont reflect the way the series has gone. Australia should be 1-0 up already, but a lost session due to rain and english timewasting cost them that one. Now this test should have been a draw, despite the shit 1st innings and it will end up being 1-0 to the english side. Undeserved to say the least.

Geez, bitter tears huh.

How should this game be a draw exactly? England had a 550 run lead after declaring in their second innings with two days to spare. This should be an England win as much as the last game should have been an Australia win, if only Collingwood didn't have a brilliant batting performance.

Sure the 5 minutes of England time-wasting lost you the game, not the hours Collingwood spent at the crease...

Don't be too disheartened though, watch England throw this win away like you guys did.

Yagharek

FFChris said:
Geez, bitter tears huh.

How should this game be a draw exactly? England had a 550 run lead after declaring in their second innings with two days to spare. This should be an England win as much as the last game should have been an Australia win, if only Collingwood didn't have a brilliant batting performance.

Sure the 5 minutes of England time-wasting lost you the game, not the hours Collingwood spent at the crease...

Don't be too disheartened though, watch England throw this win away like you guys did.

Not bitter tears as disgusted in poor umpiring decisions. Austalia should only be 3-for right now, and that is a position that could easily end up in a draw.

Yagharek

Grug said:
Yeah, I'm a big fan of the referral system personally. Looking forward to its permanent inclusion.

By the way, Fitzroy didn't play in the 1996 Qualifying Final. Are you talking about Wanganeen's choke against the mighty Brisbane Bears? :D

Well if youre going to claim Fitzroy lineage as much as Brisbane Bears, Round 14 1996:
Fitzroy 7.10 (52) Essendon 17.16 (118)

:D

FFChris

RandomVince said:
Not bitter tears as disgusted in poor umpiring decisions. Austalia should only be 3-for right now, and that is a position that could easily end up in a draw.

Well that's not how it works. One different decision changes the entire game. What about the LBW shouts England didn't get in the last test? Swings and roundabouts.

Façade

Neo Member
RandomVince said:

So bitter. Umpires have been lenient on no balls the whole innings. Fair enough they should have referred Hughes' dismissal, even though in my eyes that was a good catch, but they should have referred it for consistency. And Hussey's, are you going to tell me you didn't think he nicked that real time?

What more, to say that you should only be 3 down right now is poor, as if Hughes wouldn't have got out soon enough :lol

GET IN THERE! GRAHAM SWANN YOU HERO!

Grug

RandomVince said:
Well if youre going to claim Fitzroy lineage as much as Brisbane Bears, Round 14 1996:
Fitzroy 7.10 (52) Essendon 17.16 (118)

:D

Not claiming Fitzroy lineage. I'm Brisbane through and through.

You are the one who talked about "Lions" in the 1996 finals series. ;)

mclem

tri_willy said:
wtf was that shit hauritz!!! fucking pussy fucker

His hand is still lying in bits around Lord's, isn't it? Gotta bear that in mind. Given his remarkable bowling performance last innings while injured, I suspect he deserves the benefit of the doubt here.

Pachael

They're already talking about the next test. Johnson 50. Maybe he should be thinking about his bowling rather than batting runs.

Johnson going for the big yahoo - you can tell they're not serious anymore.

edbrat

awesome, one way to make mon mornings at work jolly. Most of the office popping out for a few sherberts to celebrate, test victory street party celebrations incoming!

Grug

Congrats to England. Massive psychological test for both sides now.

England will feel confident being 1 up, but need to go on with it.

Australia need to learn how to perform under pressure.

tri_willy

australia's 2nd innings - target: 522 runs (as it should have been amended)

PJ Hughes c grasser Strauss 17
SM Katich nb Flintoff 6
RT Ponting* b Broad 38
MEK Hussey no hit b Swann 27
MJ Clarke b Swann 136
MJ North b Swann 6
BJ Haddin† c Collingwood b Flintoff 80
MG Johnson b Swann 63
NM Hauritz b Flintoff 1
PM Siddle b Flintoff 7
BW Hilfenhaus not out 4
Extras (b 5, lb 8, nb 8) 21
Total (all out; 107 overs) 406 (3.79 runs per over)

JM Anderson 21 4 86 0 4.09
A Flintoff 27 4 92 3 3.40 (8nb)
G Onions 9 0 50 0 5.55
SCJ Broad 16 3 49 1 3.06
GP Swann 28 3 87 3 3.10
PD Collingwood 6 1 29 0 4.83
Bad Umpiring 0.3 0 0 3 0.00

tri_willy

Pachael said:
I would have taken terrible Australian batting too, especially in the first innings (no omg umpiring there)

yea i wasnt happy with the aussies first innings either. part reason why we lost

Salazar

Fred is a flaming, storming God.

Australia should recall Martyn and MacGill, for the sake of the nation's television viewers.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
207982460_bb55ec8c9c.jpg

Lucius86

Banned
Absolutely brilliant, well done England!!! I have an aussie housemate, I think he will need some winding up tonight :lol

In all honesty, there were some bad decisions made, but it happens to every team at this competitive level where the difference between right and wrong is so marginal. England also had some unfair LBW shouts in test 1...

Can't wait for the 3rd test :D

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Grug said:
South Africa and semi-finals....

The curse continues.
A bit late to the party, but god what's up with SA always losing in semis? They're my favourite team. They're way better than Aussies, imho.

artist

Banned
RandomVince said:
Oh ffs. The Sydney test was lost by India's meltdown and Australia's attacking play. There was nothing suspect about it, replays even showed that the claimed catch was legitimate. Unlike one that one of the Indian slipsmen claimed earlier in the match.
:lol

Um, lets just say thats not the only glaringly obvious wrong decision .. there were 11 of them.

Congratulations to England on this massive win. This was their test right from Day 1 only a handful of decisions would never have made up for the first inning's suckage. I have still faith in a bounce back but you never know, with momentum even a weaker side can put up a decent fight.

God I hate Broad's hilarious prediction to come true, I cant stand that guy.

Grug

Tim the Wiz said:
Bloody Flintoff. :) Can't castigate England for their win. Well taken.

Stuart Clark and Brett Lee in, please. (But not at the cost of Hilfy)

Definitely not at the cost of Hilfy. He was the only one that could keep it tight when required.

Hauritz will be dropped for injury, if not form. Siddle or Johnson would also be lucky to hold their spots. Clark and Lee(if fit) must play in Edgbaston.

artist

Banned
Some interesting stats from cricinfo:

• It's Flintoff's first five-for since his 5 for 78 at The Oval against Australia in 2005, a game which England drew to win the series. Since that Test, Flintoff had bowled in 40 innings without taking a five-for, taking only 76 wickets in 24 matches during this period.
  • The 185-run stand between Michael Clarke and Brad Haddin is the second-highest in the fourth innings of a lost Test. It fell just two runs short of the record, which Jacques Kallis and AB de Villiers had set against Australia in Durban earlier this year. That match was quite similar to the Lord's Test, with South Africa staging a comeback after falling behind by a huge margin in the first innings. Australia eventually dismissed South Africa for 370 in the fourth innings to win by 175 runs.
  • The last time Australia lost at Lord's, they went on to win the series 2-1. Of the last three Ashes contests in England, two - in 1997 and in 2005 - were won by the team which fell behind in the series.

edit:

106288.jpg

Does England have a replacement for this guy? Or will have to wait another 10 years? :D

artist

Banned
Zapages said:
It looks like Bangladesh is about to win their 1st test series!!! Good for them! :)
They did, well deserved. WI got no excuse (Gayle quitting Test cricket or otherwise), its their country they are representing in each and every game.

The Pak v SL games are swinging faster than a monkey. :lol

Looks like Johnson may get one more final chance in the next test.

snaildog

irfan said:
They did, well deserved. WI got no excuse (Gayle quitting Test cricket or otherwise), its their country they are representing in each and every game.
You know it's pretty much the West Indies 4th XI right? Most of them are playing their first test matches.

Salazar

Kev's absence is a shame no matter who you're supporting. Ian Bell (the replacement, surely ?) is paint drying in comparison.

Top Bottom