• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

tri_willy

whats everyones predictions for the lineup for the 5th test?

aussies

1.watson
2.hughes
3.ponting
4.katich
5.clarke
6.north
7.haddin
8.johnson
9.clark
10.siddle
11.hilfenhaus

hussey has been in poor form for a very long time. aussie selectors got to have the balls to drop him otherwise there will be greater losses. at least a spell in the sidelines to make him more hungry for runs.

england

1.strauss
2.cook
3.bell
4.collingwood
5.flintoff (fit)
6.prior
7.swann
8.broad
9.anderson
10.harmison
11.onions

a fit flintoff is more than likely to fit into the side given this will be his last test. bopara should be dropped and bell back to his original no.3 position. other batsmen who have been considered at no.3 are plumpy robert key or johnathon trott.

Grug

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
What they doin?

Same old shit. Cricinfo says it better than me.

End of match What a comeback by Australia this has been - by Johnson, too. They looked a team lacking direction after Lord's, but two Tests later they've utterly outplayed England from the start, who have been beaten by an innings and 80 runs. That's an emphatic slapping if ever there was one. Crucially, the onus is now on England to win if they're to regain the Ashes. It's beautifully set up - 1-1 with one to play. Ponting waves to the crowd - still a few boos from the crowd, which is now no longer even vaguely amusing, and it's handshakes all round for Australia's players who make their way off the pitch.

More disgraceful booing as Ponting comes for a chat.. This is just not on, I'm afraid. Does he have a message for his booing fans? "Not really. Nope." Good on you, Ponting. "There was a little bit of cloud around and if we bowled well enough, we'd create chances, and we did. Clark was spot on - spinners have found it tricky at Headingley and the four quicks paid dividends for us." Coming together at the right time? "Couldn't have asked more for this game. We've dominated the game from the first ball and won it in two-and-a-half days and some of our guys are getting better and better [in the series]."

Even Ian Botham said the booing was "pathetic" and that "if they want to boo anyone, it should be England after the dross they served up".

legend166

tri_willy said:
england

1.strauss
2.cook
3.bell
4.collingwood
5.flintoff (fit)
6.prior
7.swann
8.broad
9.anderson
10.harmison
11.onions

a fit flintoff is more than likely to fit into the side given this will be his last test. bopara should be dropped and bell back to his original no.3 position. other batsmen who have been considered at no.3 are plumpy robert key or johnathon trott.

You don't think that's a bit bowler heavy? 6 frontline bowlers after getting rolled for 102 in the first innings, no chance.

Strauss
Cook
Key
Collingwood
Trott
Prior
Flintoff
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Onions

Bell and Bopara are rubbish.

Pachael

That afternoon were an overall positive for the English, getting about a hundred or so runs from their tailenders, sorry, no, not really. Losing by an innings is a large negative :lol

tri_willy said:
whats everyones predictions for the lineup for the 5th test?

I don't know enough about the English reserves, so I'll just speculate on Australia:

Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
North
Watson
Haddin
Johnson
Clark
Siddle
Hilfenhaus

The selectors will likely drop Clark while retaining Hussey, though. :rolleyes

edbrat

the booing is sad, good natured piss taking is fine but this is embarassing. Pontings conducted himself with dignity.

Much more the kind of performance you'd expect from Australia, difficult to see how we can get twenty wickets if their batting is going well.

Salazar

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Eh, they live in England, thats reason enough to be down, then they loose a test match.

So soon we forget how vile Australian crowds tend to be, whether their team wins or loses ?

artist

Banned
For some weird reason, cant edit the post above. Just to be clear, I'm against the boos as well, just that people claiming high ground are actually standing on glass. :lol

legend166

Salazar said:
So soon we forget how vile Australian crowds tend to be, whether their team wins or loses ?

You're kidding. For something comparable, look how Tendulkar and Lara got treated on their final tours of Australia. I was at the SCG when Tendulkar got that 100. Standing ovation for about 2 minutes. Not a single boo.

Grug

legend166 said:
You're kidding. For something comparable, look how Tendulkar and Lara got treated on their final tours of Australia. I was at the SCG when Tendulkar got that 100. Standing ovation for about 2 minutes. Not a single boo.

Yep, I was at the Gabba for that last final of that series.

Everyone was on their feet in appreciation as Sachin trundled off, and that was a one dayer, where crowds are a little "low brow".

tri_willy

did u guys read the supposed leaked dossier that langer wrote to nielsen? fucking hilarious although langer said it was meant to be a joke :lol

artist

Banned
legend166 said:
Pretty sure if that was on ANY continent around the whole, it would have got the same reaction .. hell it could be in Malaysia and it would have got the same reaction.

Point here is the crowd reaction to certain things like a win or loss or certain players (a lot of Aussie fuckers booed Murali too) etc.

Grug

irfan said:
Point here is the crowd reaction to certain things like a win or loss or certain players (a lot of Aussie fuckers booed Murali too) etc.

No we didn't.

We no-balled him. Big difference. :D

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
dumbaustralians.png

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
CreativeJuices said:
At least we havent got to the stage where we put cages up around the fence...............oh wait
That's only because our population ratio isn't high enough. The more people there are in the country, the higher chance you'll run into an idiot. But the count is getting up there!

artist

Banned
Grug said:
No we didn't.

We no-balled him. Big difference. :D
Yes, big difference. One complete class below this booing poms. :lol

speedpop said:
That's only because our population ratio isn't high enough. The more people there are in the country, the higher chance you'll run into an idiot. But the count is getting up there!
ZING!

Grug

Here we go folks. Its come down to this!

Australia just need a draw to take the urn back home. England need the win.

A win being the only option for England actually makes them more dangerous, they can just come out and give it a good crack. Combined with the fact it is Freddie's last tets spells big danger for Australia here.

Australian side unchanged.

For England, Trott in for Bopara, Flintoff in for Onions.

Rezbit

England to bat? D'OH! I wanted us to bat first and build a massive score. I can only hope we strike early and England fold like a bad poker player.

Reno7728

Why in hell did we drop onions for harmison?

onions has been one of our best bowlers in the series, and harmison barely did squat in the last test

BanGy.nz

Banned
You guys are watching the wrong game, no one cares about the ashes. The two power houses of international cricket are playing, Blackcaps are taking on Sri Lanka. :(

Oh yay, just while I was typing that the Kiwis lost another wicket.

hamchan

Woot can't wait for Australia to retain the ashes:lol

and on the old topic of Australian crowds I'd just like to add that the crowds at the Australian Open tennis really annoy me.

tri_willy

BanGy.nz said:
You guys are watching the wrong game, no one cares about the ashes. The two power houses of international cricket are playing, Blackcaps are taking on Sri Lanka. :(

Oh yay, just while I was typing that the Kiwis lost another wicket.

lol everyone knows a kiwi test side cant compete atm. sri lanka will destroy them!!!

BanGy.nz

Banned
I love Australian crowds at All Blacks test where every 3rd person is an All Black supporter.
tri_willy said:
lol everyone knows a kiwi test side cant compete atm. sri lanka will destroy them!!!
229-7 It's quite pathetic to watch.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
hamchan said:
Woot can't wait for Australia to retain the ashes:lol

and on the old topic of Australian crowds I'd just like to add that the crowds at the Australian Open tennis really annoy me.

That issue is mainly due to 2nd generation Croatians and Serbians. Every year without fail they manage to fuck things up. Just like they fucked up the old soccer league.

mclem

i_am_ben said:
so............ what's the forecast like the next few days?

Nothing particularly heavy looks to be in the offing; there's "light rain" forecast for Friday and Monday, and "sunny intervals" for the rest of the time. I think we should be able to see this one to completion.

Top Bottom