• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Grug

Pitch is crumbling. No chance of a draw here now.

Australia could very easily collapse in their first inning. Swann must be drooling.

master15

Ugh this is why I want Lee. For more times i remember Swann and Broad are leading the resistance with way more runs they deserve.

We need a pace spearhead to get these tailenders in their place.
Ugh.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
those Patrizio Buanne ads are getting very annoying on SBS. I'm tired of seeing his weird botox face. Or maybe he just has a severe case of gayface. Either way SBS needs new ads.

Pachael

If anyone's around in the camp that Hussey's just hit a bad patch (rather than being Mr. Below Average) - well he'd better perk up now!

EDIT: Hah. 89/3

mclem

Grug said:
And thus ends the test career of Michael Hussey.

England have one hand on the Ashes here.

Don't think it's quite like that, but we've definitely got a match on, which I was sceptical about after Headingley.

Grug

Just shows what a strange game cricket is... looking at the batting AND bowling stats, Australia has been the better performer, but England have done just enough where it is needed and will likely get the urn.

Pachael

England aren't quite there yet actually - weather (like today) and a hold-out partnership from the Aussies (eg. North-Katich) can still save the urn: If Australia end up all out for 250 or so somewhere by the middle of Day 3, they should be safe (only 80 runs behind - and England will need to score quickly and then get Australia out quickly in 2 1/2 days).

As I say that betting has gone back to even stevens. England win 2.20 Australia win 2.20 Draw 6.50.

Ok, now they're in trouble. North out lbw.

Grug

Massive edge by North there. Dodgy LBW call.

hindenburg.jpg

Pachael

The good thing about a collapse in Headingley is that it can be redeemed by a good performance in the following test.

The bad thing about a collapse at the Oval is that half the Aussie team won't be able to redeem themselves until 4 years later :lol

If anything, that inability to get the last wicket in Cardiff would be the epitaph if the Aussies lose the Ashes today. And batting collapses. No one will complain about umpiring, no sirree. And bowling wins matches.

EDIT: Why four years later? Don't see how they can recover from this even if they whip the English again next year ;p

mclem

Wow. I'm now wondering if there's a real possibility we can get the last four out for 23 or fewer. It's not remotely likely - I've seen big boundaries from all of them over the series - but it'd certainly make things very interesting indeed...

Pachael

mclem said:
Wow. I'm now wondering if there's a real possibility we can get the last four out for 23 or fewer. It's not remotely likely - I've seen big boundaries from all of them over the series - but it'd certainly make things very interesting indeed...

7/110

Haha!

Listening to the radio in the car was fun. Swann finally gets some turn and Broad has five wickets now?

Don't rule out anything before the second day.

And Bopara has over 200 runs for Essex :lol

Pachael

131/8
At least they're likely to get past the follow-on figure. :lol

Loss of 58/8 for the session and probably the Ashes as well :lol :lol

EDIT: 133/8. HOORAY, Australia have avoided following on :lol

Grug

The one positive to come out of this is that it should finally be the wake-up call to the Australian selectors. No more "jobs for the boys"... time to ramp up the rebuild.

Get Hughes back in, he's only 19 and is going to stumble along the way, but he and Katich need to be our opening pair going forward.

Hussey out. Clarke moves up to four. Give Watson a crack at #5, but if he doesn't take to it, bring in new blood (Ferguson perhaps).

Gold watch for Brett Lee. We can only carry one geriatric paceman and Clark has form.

And for gods sake... build a new department at the Australian Cricket Academy with the sole purpose of developing frontline spin options. Hauritz had an okay series, but he's not the future.

Edit: Oh dear, that was a howler of a decision. Bat was in another time-zone.

CricInfo said:
Swann to Clark, OUT, erm. Oh dear. We've had some shockers this summer, but that takes the biscuit and the tin. Clark pats forward, bat nowhere near the ball which takes the top of his pad, ballooning to silly point...and up goes the finger.

That last decision from Mr Rauf really was extraordinarily bad.

mclem

That's it, all out for 160. One worry: It's a very dangerous time to bat right now. Hopefully we can make it to the end of the day without major losses, but we'll see.

Pachael

England should bat to about a 500 run lead and have Australia go for it. They'll need a large buffer to minimise the chance of a massive second innings comeback that'll scupper their chance at the Ashes.

As such, they'll be looking to get about 320 runs over the next 3-4 sessions or so, leaving Australia up to 7 sessions to save the Test and the Ashes.

Cricinfo said:
Ponting's giving them an absolute earful as Strauss and Cook walk past them. Ponting's still at it...

Maybe worry about your own batting first?

EDIT: Ooh that first ball was really close.

artist

Banned
master15 said:
Katich is making a seriously play at Boone here with his fantastic short-leg work.
Yeah, reminds me of the Azharuddin flick catch Boone took at short leg. :D

They're playing this test in fast forward, both sides.

Top Bottom