• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

tri_willy

Tim the Wiz said:
Stuart Broad bowled a five-for to help tumble Australia for 160? Am I in bizzaro world? :lol

funny, i felt like i was in a similar world too.

if the aussie selectors dont drop hussey, aussies bound to lose more matches. for a guy who's averaged less than 30 for the last 20+ matches, surely the selectors have been too lenient on him!!! even hayden wasnt spared

Pachael

Third day starts and Strauss-Trott are consolidating well. It's not the pitch, it's the bowlers!

EDIT: As suspected, Australia's lack of a good spinner has cost it big time - Clarke and North had to do part-time spin and finally get Strauss out - England still lead by 330 runs at lunch

EDIT 2: Prior ran out stupidly. Flintoff in his last Test innings - he's probably pretty sure he'll go off with a high. And seems England are looking at more bustop rides, another trip to the queen etal. Ponting looks quite bloodied but not as much as if/when they lose.

Grug

Bah, who needs the Ashes.

That epic comeback win by the Brisbane Lions over Port Adelaide tonight was easily enough emotional compensation for the Ashes. :lol

Zapages

I still say Australia still has a chance to win it if they come back and stop England from reaching 500 run lead. As there is plenty of time left in the game.

Pachael

The Aussies have a chance to save the Ashes by batting out Days 4 and 5. Even at this state, where you'd reckon some of them are thinking of just going home and having a rest, there's a tiny tiny chance of doing this.

Anyway :lol at Mitch Johnson leaking runs again. He was never good value, despite a good burst in Headingley. Last over: 1wd . . . 1 1nb 1nb . 1

Trott, though, is proving great value with the bat and by amassing 120 runs or so has done more than enough.

No one really noticed that Marcus North, bloody Marcus North part-time spinner, is 4-for today.

edbrat

I still say Australia still has a chance to win it if they come back and stop England from reaching 500 run lead. As there is plenty of time left in the game.

ah well :) I would have given them a chance to 450 and would have thought 350 was eminently gettable with their batting line up.

watching Swann drive a wrecking ball through the Aussie bowlers stats was great fun, the boy can drive don't pitch it up to him!

edbrat

If the Aussies do it from here, fair play to them and a well deserved and history making victory which will be remembered for a long time is rightfully theirs. Also English bowlers will deserve to be flayed alive but that would be secondary to the awesomeness of the Australian achievement.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Australia are neck deep in a steaming pile of horse shit. We have no chance, and the weather forecast is fine and sunny for two days.

FFChris

Zapages said:
I think England declared it too early. I definitely think Australia can win this match with 2 days remaining.

The average for the 4th innings at the oval is about 200, I seriously doubt they'll be able to put on 460 more runs.

Pachael

Like I said earlier, I expected England to ask Australia to post 500 runs to win. Though they've got it down to 460, I don't have much hope for the batting lineup.

Obituaries are already starting to be written in the papers.

Meadows

Banned
To beat England the Aussies would have to break the First Class cricket world record fourth inning score. England should easily win it from here, especially with Broad bowling as well as he is.

Pachael

tri_willy said:
damn aussie first innings!!! damn it to hellllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's the third time this has happened - a FAIL Australian first innings: Lord's, Birmingham and The Oval. Can't expect to win when your first innings fail so badly (eg. England at Headingley was a good example) :lol

tri_willy

you know what will be crap? if hussey plays like shit this innings and still holds his spot. as much as i like ponting, to lose 2 ashes series in england should signal his end as captain.

Zapages

As a Scottish born and having large amount of family in Australia... I was secretly rooting for them although I don't really like either teams that much ie. I was neutral. Hopefully we'll see some great cricket today. :)

jey_16

Banned
tri_willy said:
you know what will be crap? if hussey plays like shit this innings and still holds his spot. as much as i like ponting, to lose 2 ashes series in england should signal his end as captain.

you sack Ponting as captain and you will lose him from team as well.....do you think we can afford that at the moment? would Clarke be a much better captain? Allow Ponting to finish the 2009/2010 home series against Pakistan and then see how things stand

drop Hussey for Hughes and move Watson down the order

jey_16 said:
you sack Ponting as captain and you will lose him from team as well.....do you think we can afford that at the moment? would Clarke be a much better captain? Allow Ponting to finish the 2009/2010 home series against Pakistan and then see how things stand

Drop Ponting as captain, keep him as a player and install a more tactically savvy leader... such as, say, Katich? It's not like it hasn't been done before. Look at Jayasuria's changing role within the Sri Lankan team.

I doubt it'll ever happen, though.

tri_willy

unfortunately pup has been groomed up to be the next long term aussie captain. katich isnt a bad choice however age isnt really on his side

legend166

Ponting's captaincy didn't lose us the series. A couple of inept first innings batting performances and poor selection cost us the series.

Ponting won't be stripped of the captaincy, and for good reason. We haven't had a previous full time captain playing under a new captain for 25 years and we shouldn't do it now.

Pachael

Well played Hussey - 50. Now go for the century the team needs. Ponting too. The century partnership has stalled the England advance; 4 1/2 sessions to go!

If Ponting and Hussey can construct an unlikely 200 partnership, then I'll start to believe, especially with Clarke, North and Haddin still to come.
I know, wildly improbable either way!

Grug

Two runouts in a game where a draw is as good as a win just shows how feeble minded some of our players are under pressure.

Top Bottom